Jim Kelly vs. Lesean McCoy

Shemp

Honestly who cares, another contrived manufactured "hot debate".  It isnt really worth the read, and both Kelly and Thruman want to stay relevant.  Shady taking unnecessary, gratuitous cheap shot about 4 super bowls, sorry shady, you dont have to be an ex bill and former very good players to have such "incredible insight" or is this to attract more eyeballs?  Should anyone really care what these two guys think of each other?

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As a Harrisburg PA resident these past 10 years, it is widely known that LeSean McCoy is not the classiest of individuals here in his hometown

However, when Jim Kelly was in one of our local breweries last year, I happened to be wearing my Bills gear and he bought my friends and I a round of drinks

So that's how I differentiate between the two

• Like (+1) 17
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

LeSean McCoy shouldn’t throw stones in glass houses he didn’t accomplish anything close to what Jim Kelly did as a Buffalo Bills player. I didn’t see LeSean McCoy leading the Buffalo Bills to one Super Bowl much less four Super Bowls. LeSean McCoy isn’t OJ Simpson, Joe Cribbs, Thurman Thomas as a Buffalo Bills running back let’s get that out of the way as a Bills fan 49 years and counting. So at best LeSean McCoy is 4th best back I have seen. Only counting what they did in a Bills uniform. I get Marshawn Lynch what he did after he was traded to the Seattle Seahawks. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Thurman Thomas was the greatest RB of all time, IMO and ahead of his time. If he played in today's game he would be unstoppable. He basically was anyways. 

McCoy was a very good to maybe great RB. That's the difference. 

Thurman is up there but he isn't the greatest. He isn't even the greatest Bills RB. OJ was not only greatest RB in Bills history but also the greatest offensive player in the team's history.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Maybe LeSean doesn't know or understand that bringing up those four Super Bowl losses still hurts every Bills fan who was around to see it. That first one should have been ours. I still cringe every time there's a 47 yard field goal attempt. So it sounds like McCoy's not only attacking Kelly, he's attacking Bills' Mafia.

Not advisable.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Thurman Thomas was the greatest RB of all time, IMO and ahead of his time. If he played in today's game he would be unstoppable. He basically was anyways. 

McCoy was a very good to maybe great RB. That's the difference. 

ahead of his time?

20 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Eassyyyy Shady.  You're talking about one of our Rushmore guys here.  I've liked you since you became a Bill and after, but that can change reall quick when you go after a Buffalo legend.

I haven't thought about him since he left, he's made it clear he wants to be thought of as a former Eagle and not a Buffalo Bill so see ya thanks for the yards

• Like (+1) 2

Jim Kelly didn't say anything to McCoy. It was McCoy responding to Kelly saying the Bills need a star running back. I'm not sure why McCoy felt like he needed to send some cheap shots Kelly's way, but he did. Kind of classless and I bet McCoy doesn't really understand what Kelly has been through in his life.

He says Kelly talks and talks. Why? Because reporters ask to interview him and ask him questions. That's the only reason he talks. Is he just supposed to deny all interviews and refuse to answer questions? Why would he?

• Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, MJS said:

Jim Kelly didn't say anything to McCoy. It was McCoy responding to Kelly saying the Bills need a star running back. I'm not sure why McCoy felt like he needed to send some cheap shots Kelly's way, but he did. Kind of classless and I bet McCoy doesn't really understand what Kelly has been through in his life.

He says Kelly talks and talks. Why? Because reporters ask to interview him and ask him questions. That's the only reason he talks. Is he just supposed to deny all interviews and refuse to answer questions? Why would he?

The incredible hypocrisy of this statement.

• Like (+1) 4

But I don't see where he McCoy was wrong about the team itself. Lightening the load for Josh by adding a WR is more helpful then a RB. Kelly played when feature backs were a thing and real, that isn't the way anymore. Heck McCoy himself was a feature back and says as much.

And he is not wrong either that Kelly loves to talk every offseason and everyone eats it up. It was a low blow to go about the SB losses and they seem to have a difference on quite a few things.

But if the idea is what helps Josh more Shady is far more right then Jim.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

But I don't see where he McCoy was wrong about the team itself. Lightening the load for Josh by adding a WR is more helpful then a RB. Kelly played when feature backs were a thing and real, that isn't the way anymore. Heck McCoy himself was a feature back and says as much.

And he is not wrong either that Kelly loves to talk every offseason and everyone eats it up. It was a low blow to go about the SB losses and they seem to have a difference on quite a few things.

But if the idea is what helps Josh more Shady is far more right then Jim.

Same. Kind-of on Shady’s side here.

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

He says Kelly talks and talks. Why? Because reporters ask to interview him and ask him questions. That's the only reason he talks. Is he just supposed to deny all interviews and refuse to answer questions? Why would he?

McCoy is probably still hurt from when Kelly said "I lost al lot of respect for him" cause that time he stretched during the national anthem after Trump made his remarks about players should be "fired" for kneeling.

Nothing Jim said about adding a good running back called for that reaction. You'd think Shady, being a former RB, would agree. Maybe he felt triggered and thought Jim was attacking the current RB room and wanted to defend them. But he could barely name one of them so I don't know. He looks like an asshat for that reaction tho. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

The idea of Kelly being a loser since he was on the losing end of 4 SB is silly. 

If Bills kicker had made a 47 yd field goal we wouldn’t be having this conversation. 

Heck if the defense could've made a tackle on 3rd down they could've won by two scores lol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Is Shady's comment about Jim losing 4 straight a low blow? Normally, I'd say yes. But Jim said this about Shady:

“I like LeSean McCoy, don’t get me wrong, but I totally, 100% I disagree with what he did,” Kelly said. “You want to kneel? Fine. But when you go and do what he did yesterday, that sort of bummed me out. And I lost a lot of respect for him. … You want to kneel? That’s your prerogative. I would never do that. I will always stand, thank the good Lord for everything I got. But when you disrespect the way he did and just go by his everyday duty in the national anthem being sung? Uh-uh. I won’t go for that.”

I think any player who kneels like that and is called out by a team's alum will no longer regard that past star with reverence and respect.

My $.02. I know 95% are taking Jim's side here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Yes, we are squarely in silly season here at TBD.

I'm about 5 minutes from creating a Gossip Girls thread and starting to dump this kind of stuff all in one place. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, StHustle said:

McCoy is probably still hurt from when Kelly said "I lost al lot of respect for him" cause that time he stretched during the national anthem after Trump made his remarks about players should be "fired" for kneeling.

Nothing Jim said about adding a good running back called for that reaction. You'd think Shady, being a former RB, would agree. Maybe he felt triggered and thought Jim was attacking the current RB room and wanted to defend them. But he could barely name one of them so I don't know. He looks like an asshat for that reaction tho. 

Yeah, but it sounds like they already cleared the air about that in the past, so I'm not sure why he would still be mad about that. They have had healthy interactions since then.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

The idea of Kelly being a loser since he was on the losing end of 4 SB is silly. 

If Bills kicker had made a 47 yd field goal we wouldn’t be having this conversation. 

and if Kelly worked the clock better he could have put Norwood in a better position to kick the winner. McCoy is right Kelly was horrible in the 4 Super Bowl losses and played a part in all of them. I admit I don't like Kelly as most here do but hate to tell you all but the truth hurts. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Eassyyyy Shady.  You're talking about one of our Rushmore guys here.  I've liked you since you became a Bill and after, but that can change reall quick when you go after a Buffalo legend.

Is it me or does Shady just feel like an Eagle.  Obviously the animosity stems from the kneeling comments. I'd love to ask Shady how it feels winning 2 rings in a game he didn't even play in. Isn't that empty too.

• Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

and if Kelly worked the clock better he could have put Norwood in a better position to kick the winner. McCoy is right Kelly was horrible in the 4 Super Bowl losses and played a part in all of them. I admit I don't like Kelly as most here do but hate to tell you all but the truth hurts. 

....well dude at least Jim actually participated in 4 SB's.  Shady sat the bench for 2 and might as well bought his ring on Amazon. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Um…. Nothing Shady said is wrong. And Jim is only royalty because he’s the best we’ve ever had. And by far the best we had since the Kelly era until Josh. Which is actually kind of  sad. 

When you look at the Bills history with QB's there are only 4 worth mentioning. Kemp, Ferguson, Kelly, Allen. 

Agree with those recognizing Shady still seems to be carrying some hurt feelings from comments Jim has made in the past.  As crazy as it sounds elite athletes are some of the most sensitive people you will ever find on this earth(See MJ: And I took that personally) I don't think he was just trying to talk trash about him losing 4 SB's just for the sake of it even though it didn't come off good.  Much ado about nothing IMO. 

Remember those huge contributions Shady made to his team during his two Super Bowl winning years? The big plays he made in the playoffs and the Super Bowls themselves? 

Nope, me neither.

Shady's not wrong that Kelly came up short in four Super Bowls, but considering Shady himself only rode coattails in his Super Bowl years and didn't do much of anything to help his teams win key games those years...he should probably have a little bit of self awareness.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

As a do it all type of RB...

I loved Barry Sanders too but Thurman was just as much part of the passing game as the running game 

doesn't mean he was ahead of his time. What about Roger Craig?

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

doesn't mean he was ahead of his time. What about Roger Craig?

I was thinking the same.  Thurman was better,  obviously,  but Craig was before him.  

Just now, jayg said:

I was thinking the same.  Thurman was better,  obviously,  but Craig was before him.  

Could you imagine Thermal playing behind Dallas' Oline?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.