Sean McDermott excited about calling the Defense

Sierra Foothills

7 hours ago, Malazan said:

That doesn't answer the question about why you think calling plays is going to make a difference in something you believe him to already be bad at when he's not calling plays.. 

It's going to make him worse simply because he will have more to do in the moment.  Do I call TO, do I challenge, what D personnel for this play,what play, what's the other teams personnel, etc.  My Air Disasters reference was a jest, but task saturation is a thing.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

What Einstein has "sometimes when camera is on McDermott he is holding the call sheet and talking into the headset" doesn't even make the standard of evidence, let alone proof. 

I have explained why and what is going on in those scenarios. It isn't what he thinks. It is evidence of something. Just not of McDermott having taken over playcalling. 

Thats literally called circumstantial evidence. Entire cases have been won on circumstantial evidence such as “the camera saw the defendants car driving on the same road the victim was later found”. 

Just like your “the coach only admitted it once and therefore it is once” claim. Actually, that argument is a logical fallacy - a mixture of appeal to ignorance and hasty generalization.

Edited by Einstein
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

It's going to make him worse simply because he will have more to do in the moment.  Do I call TO, do I challenge, what D personnel for this play, what play, what's the other teams personnel, etc.  My Air Disasters reference was a jest, but task saturation is a thing.

There's a million possibilities.. maybe he overthinks things and 'task saturation' will force him to make different decisions, maybe he'll rely more on others to make those decisions, it may not impact that part of the job at all.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Malazan said:

There's a million possibilities.. maybe he overthinks things and 'task saturation' will force him to make different decisions, maybe he'll rely more on others to make those decisions, it may not impact that part of the job at all.  

We're in violent agreement here.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Thats literally called circumstantial evidence. Entire cases have been won on circumstantial evidence such as “the camera saw the defendants car driving on the same road the victim was later found”. 

Just like your “the coach only admitted it once and therefore it is once” claim. Actually, that argument is a logical fallacy - a mixture of appeal to ignorance and hasty generalization.

It is only circumstantial evidence until someone can demonstrate why it isn't evidence of what you are claiming. Which I've already done. When you have some evidence come back to me and we will discuss. 

• Disagree 1

14 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Then why the F#*! does Andy Reid have a monstrous laminated poster in his hand for the past four years. Eric Bienemie was OC in name only. Every Chiefs player has confirmed Andy was calling plays. You’re wayyyy off.

I watch a lot of Chiefs games and I can say without a doubt that laminated poster is a burgers menu! He has one (or 5) delivered after every game.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 4/19/2023 at 9:46 PM, MJS said:

The ice is still pretty thick.

Yep, how many coaches are on the hot seat after 13-3 seasons? With the 3 losses coming by a total of 8 points? I get that we all want a trophy, but some here have ridiculous expectations. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

It's going to make him worse simply because he will have more to do in the moment.  Do I call TO, do I challenge, what D personnel for this play,what play, what's the other teams personnel, etc.  My Air Disasters reference was a jest, but task saturation is a thing.

Calling the plays on D means (whoever is doing it) that they know what personnel to counter the offensive personnel in the game.  That's the whole

reason for calling plays.

As to challenges, those should be looked at from assigned personnel up in the booth.  As a matter of fact, I don't like coaches on the sidelines making

the challenge calls at all.  They have the worse vision to see what happened (unless it happens right in front of them).  Us fans have better

evidence then they do.  As to TOs called on D, McDermott will just do what he is always doing if the D isn't ready.

It's already been shown over and over that numerous NFL Head Coaches call plays for either the O or D.  McDermott will have the headset on

and others can chime in if they see something he needs to know.  I got no problem with this change.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But he didn't accept blame when it failed. Indeed he loaded more and more of it onto the players. He blamed and fired Donnie Henderson. He blamed Doug Whaley. He even ended up turning on Dennis Thurman after the "10 men on the field debacle" vs Miami. Rex never blamed himself. Not ever. 

your half way through the conversation bud. I am not talking about him putting blame on himself. I am talking about others putting the blame on him. HE did admit after his HC career that he made mistakes in Buffalo that cost him. 

The whole point being.. Rex took accountability on to himself BY letting go people... In my opinion.... McD should of taken over the Defense Post 13 seconds... Taking accountability is different than taking blame after the fact. I think we are on same page here, you just looped into it late. 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

When you have some evidence come back to me and we will discuss. 

I could say the same to you, no?

The only evidence you have is McDermott not admitting it more than once.

Edited by Einstein

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

He didn't take accountability if he repeatedly stuck with that overly complex scheme that his players couldn't execute in a changing NFL.

So then let's not use him as some more accountable alternative to McDermott (as per your claim I was replying to)?

I'm excited to finally see in Buffalo a definitively McDermott-designed, -installed, and -called defensive attack. So maybe we agree about that the clarifying lack of ambiguity re: who to blame for 2023's defensive performances. 

HE owned the Defense.. It was His Baby.. My point is... McD should of Owned this defense and made it his Baby a long time ago and to the original conversation that started all this was the remark of how the former DC was let go and how late it was. I wish you guys would really catch up to my original quotes instead of turning it. 

On 4/19/2023 at 9:22 PM, blacklabel said:

All I know is when McD has taken over the play calls periodically during his tenure here, it feels like the defense plays with a bit more of an edge. It also seems like he's more willing to take risks and call some more unique things. 

I know it was out of necessity in 2020 when they had to switch things up defensively, but it looked like they were more in an attack mode rather than a "sit back and keep it in front of us" mode.

I think it's a needed change. Les Frazier is a great coach and the players love him. I just feel like he kind of hit his ceiling here. Didn't see a lot of different wrinkles or unique things from his defense over the years. And unfortunately, in the big moments, it really seems like he goes all deer in the headlights and things fall apart.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Sean can do. Should be interesting at the very least. 

Frazier definitely coached scared and not to lose which leads to:

losing

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yep, how many coaches are on the hot seat after 13-3 seasons? I get that we all want a trophy, but some here have ridiculous expectations. 

I agree, the 14-4 results are hard to argue.  That's a good season.  But the FO did seem to make a change with Frazier even though he had good results and good D rankings.  I don't know if it is reasonable to make such a change just based off of the small sample size of disappointment from playoff losses, so I am hoping it is more than that.

I like the change and am hoping it is a sign that they are moving away from what looked to me to be a passive, predictable defense. 

Also strategically, I never agreed with the bend but don't break strategy we seemed to start with.  Going against lesser QBs and giving them the 5-7 yarders didn't make sense to me.  The Mac Jones/Tua/Wilson's of the world, live for those - it's the 25 yarders they would be hesitant to take and hard for them to make.  But I really couldn't argue with the results, the lesser QBs rarely beat us.  Would still like us to change it up.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

Yep, how many coaches are on the hot seat after 13-3 seasons? With the 3 losses coming by a total of 8 points?

There was Marty, who was fired after a 14-2 season.

And Pederson, who was fired 2 years after winning the Super Bowl.

Also Dungy, who was fired after making the playoffs but losing in the wild card round.

Or Nagy, who was fired 2 years after going 12-4 and winning Head Coach of the Year.

In fact, 9 of the last 15 Head Coach of the Year have been fired.

I think McDermotts ice is thinner than most realize. 

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I get that we all want a trophy, but some here have ridiculous expectations. 

Are they ridiculous expectations though? 

History and statistics are on our (the pessimists) side.

Of the 33 head coaches to win at least one Super Bowl, 29 of them won their first Super Bowl within the first five seasons with that team. 

Meaning, McDermott would have to buck history. Defy statistics. He would have to fit within the 12% of coaches who have done it after five years of being with the team.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There was Marty, who was fired after a 14-2 season.

And Pederson, who was fired 2 years after winning the Super Bowl.

Also Dungy, who was fired after making the playoffs but losing in the wild card round.

Or Nagy, who was fired 2 years after going 12-4 and winning Head Coach of the Year.

In fact, 9 of the last 15 Head Coach of the Year have been fired.

I think McDermotts ice is thinner than most realize. 

Are they ridiculous expectations though? 

History and statistics are on our (the pessimists) side.

Of the 33 head coaches to win at least one Super Bowl, 29 of them won their first Super Bowl within the first five seasons with that team. 

Meaning, McDermott would have to buck history. Defy statistics. He would have to fit within the 12% of coaches who have done it after five years of being with the team.

I think the Pegulas are rational people, and I disagree. 

Almost everybody gets fired eventually, so those stats don’t impress me. You can cherry pick stats to tell any story you’d like. I don’t think our HC or GM are in any trouble whatsoever. Keep doing what you’re doing. Remain Super Bowl favorites yearly. 

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This strategy, statistically, is proven to result in many many years of "always the bridesmaid and never the bride".

Oh, and wasted franchise QB careers.

You need to be in it to win it. But sure, if people want to start over again, the Browns are just down the shoreline and easy to follow. 

To say never the bride is just plain wrong. If you are NOT in it, you will not win it. The bride comes out of a field of contenders. That’s how it works. 

Edited by Augie

12 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

HE owned the Defense.. It was His Baby.. My point is... McD should of Owned this defense and made it his Baby a long time ago and to the original conversation that started all this was the remark of how the former DC was let go and how late it was. I wish you guys would really catch up to my original quotes instead of turning it. 

From this perspective it's less about being accountable and more about organizational/coaching hierarchy. You disagree with McDermott's efforts to focus on the executive duties of his office, while empowering his coordinators to run their respective units. As a first time head coach, you probably think he was too humble in deferring to the expertise of those he hired. Which might not be entirely wrong, in retrospect. He was probably too deferential to Frazier's expertise and the respect he engendered amongst his players. 

So now is our chance to see a different approach. The one you wanted from the start, presumably?  

On 4/21/2023 at 5:29 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

It remains to be seen if McD will preform better or worse. Certainly, he has more on his plate.

What's clear is that he will be front and center. He will have no scapegoats or excuses. Accountability should be front and center. 

I like that McD is taking over the D. I believe this puts him in the put up or shut up category. It's exactly what the Bills need to evaluate if McD can move the needle and lead this team to a Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It remains to be seen if McD will preform better or worse. Certainly, he has more on his plate.

What's clear is that he will be front and center. He will have no scapegoats or excuses. Accountability should be front and center. 

I like that McD is taking over the D. I believe this puts him in the put up or shut up category. It's exactly what the Bills need to evaluate if McD can move the needle and lead this team to a Super Bowl. 

Wow, a thoughtful post.  ***** you doin' at TBD?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/21/2023 at 12:31 AM, I am leaving for good said:

Which is ridiculous no one with any self respect and pride is going to stay under those conditions if that was the case who knows. What do Buffalo Bills fans expect Sean McDermott to say he wasn’t looking forward to calling defensive plays when it was most likely his idea to begin with to pass the Buck on past failure anyone but himself ridiculous. We all are going to find out as Buffalo Bills fans what Sean McDermott is made of as a head coach this season. 

Frazier called the plays.  The failure on McD's part was continuing to let him do it.  So they did the smart/most respectful thing they could do and told Frazier that  they'd like to keep him but he wouldn't be calling plays anymore.  So he left.

Just now, Doc said:

Frazier called the plays.  The failure on McD's part was continuing to let him do it.  So they did the smart/most respectful thing they could do and told Frazier that  they'd like to keep him but he wouldn't be calling plays anymore.  So he left.

Yes this makes the most sense. Team wanted to keep Frazier on staff. McDermott came to him with changes he was looking to make and then he decided to step away from the year. So everything Beane said holds true that they expected Frazier back.

12 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

From this perspective it's less about being accountable and more about organizational/coaching hierarchy. You disagree with McDermott's efforts to focus on the executive duties of his office, while empowering his coordinators to run their respective units. As a first time head coach, you probably think he was too humble in deferring to the expertise of those he hired. Which might not be entirely wrong, in retrospect. He was probably too deferential to Frazier's expertise and the respect he engendered amongst his players. 

So now is our chance to see a different approach. The one you wanted from the start, presumably?  

he did not stay pro active when the defense was failing. Early when he started this Journy, there were a few times he took over calling the defense. He should Have done that more often. and again.. last season I thought he should have taken over play calling. I am not the only one that feels this way..... 

• Disagree 1

10 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

he did not stay pro active when the defense was failing. Early when he started this Journy, there were a few times he took over calling the defense. He should Have done that more often. and again.. last season I thought he should have taken over play calling. I am not the only one that feels this way..... 

Like I said: "he was probably too deferential to Frazier's expertise and the respect he engendered amongst his players." I would have also preferred McD to intervene more often. Now we get our wish.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Like I said: "he was probably too deferential to Frazier's expertise and the respect he engendered amongst his players." I would have also preferred McD to intervene more often. Now we get our wish.

spot on.. I do not get why people even arguing this lol. gg. 

12 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

He took over play calling once.

• Eyeroll 1

17 hours ago, Doc said:

I really think there's more to the story we don't know. 

What really irks me is that Fraizer seemed to get all the heat and criticism while McD seemingly remained unscathed. 

No doubt Fraizer deserved much criticism and I'm glad he's gone. However, McD is the head coach and a well respected defensive mind. He equally deserved criticism and perhaps even more. Yet, the Bills media and fans mostly adore McD as if he walks on water. 

I can't wait to see how the Bills defense performs. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 1

On 4/22/2023 at 8:40 AM, newcam2012 said:

He’s got his “Senior Defensive Assistant “ to help with the work load, I’m thinking that this was the plan all along, and that LF was gone if he didn’t want to be on board with the change / process…

On 4/19/2023 at 5:55 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Do you think Chiefs fans are concerned with Andy Reid calling offensive plays and acting as HC? We might be in good shape. 

Calling offensive plays is a lot more involved.

On 4/22/2023 at 5:40 AM, newcam2012 said:

I don’t understand why people keep criticizing McD for accountability.   He’s always saying, including “13 Seconds”, that he’s the head coach and it’s on him.

8 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Calling offensive plays is a lot more involved.

I don’t understand why people keep criticizing McD for accountability.   He’s always saying, including “13 Seconds”, that he’s the head coach and it’s on him.

That's fair. I guess I'm still not over what happened. I can't help but feel that 13 seconds cost the Bills a Super Bowl. Of course, that's just my opinion and not fact. 

With that said, I still hold animosity towards McD. I know it's shallow but being honest here. I am unable to look at him in the same positive light. It doesn't mean he's not a good coach or a good guy. I think he's both. 

Perhaps, unrealistically I can't help but feel McD is the next Marty S. Six years of Allen and still no Super Bowl appearances and great regular season records. The similarity is perhaps unfair but similar too.  I get it's a smaller sample size and others like Reid have excelled. 

More specifically, the Bills absolutely blew the great opportunities the last two years. That leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The excuses like injuries fall short in my eyes.

Fast forward to this year and I see teams vastly closing in on the Bills. We know the teams. I see two AFC teams that are better than the Bills. We know who they are. 

As a result, I see a tougher path and a more unlikely path that this team makes a Super Bowl appearence. I won't give up hope. 

Beane and McD have clearly built a great team and I'm grateful. However, both have fallen short in their goal. I get it that it's hard to win it all. Nevertheless, isn't that what we all want and deserve? 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...

I have a lot of concerns about this. 

1. You have a New to somewhat inexperienced MLB this year. 

2. Dorsey is only in year 2 of being an OC.

3. Who is making the Game Play decisions? 

4. My understanding from camp is that even though it is early he has been hands off with the Offense. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.