Who are considered the "Can't Miss" prospects in the draft this year?

Virgil

This isn't a question specific to the Bills, but in hosting our mock draft, I've been forced to look at a lot of the prospect evaluations for everyone in this upcoming draft. 

While we expect to see 4 QB's go in the top 10, I've seen numerous evaluations stating that none of these guys would be a #1 pick in most prior year drafts.  Most players I see have some opportunity or require a scheme fit.

With that being said, who are the players that many expect to be Can't Miss players, those who would be Pro-Bowlers in year one or make an impact on any team.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This isn't a question specific to the Bills, but in hosting our mock draft, I've been forced to look at a lot of the prospect evaluations for everyone in this upcoming draft. 

While we expect to see 4 QB's go in the top 10, I've seen numerous evaluations stating that none of these guys would be a #1 pick in most prior year drafts.  Most players I see have some opportunity or require a scheme fit.

With that being said, who are the players that many expect to be Can't Miss players, those who would be Pro-Bowlers in year one or make an impact on any team.

There are very few Pro-Bowler rookies in any year.

By “can’t miss”, do you mean will be great or will become a good starter?

Jalen Carter (so long as you have assured yourself on the chatacter question) and Will Anderson. 

They are the only two I'd call "can't miss". 

I think Paris Johnson, Devin Witherspoon, Christian Gonzalez and Joey Porter Jnr are the next tier of guys with elite potential and few holes. 

Everyone else has at least one key question to answer IMO.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Jalen Carter (so long as you have assured yourself on the chatacter question) and Will Anderson. 

I think Paris Johnson, Devin Witherspoon, Christian Gonzalez and Joey Porter Jnr are the next tier of guys with elite potential and few holes. 

How many can't miss guys do you usually see in the draft?  Five or six?

20 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This is one of the worst drafts I ever seen in 30 plus yrs of following the draft . 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

There are very few Pro-Bowler rookies in any year.

By “can’t miss”, do you mean will be great or will become a good starter?

I knew someone would call that out as I typed it.  It was meant to be more the pro-bowl type player.  

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

How many can't miss guys do you usually see in the draft?  Five or six?

I view it as more, players who will be day one starters and have solid careers as contributing starters 

28 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I have the same question you do, and I guess another name would be blue chip prospects. On any given year, there seems to be about 5 per year (non-qb) Having a tough time coming up with 5 this year.

There's really no such thing as a "can't miss" prospect due to other issues like the player not fitting the scheme of his new team or injuries.

However, I think these guys will pan out:

Bijan Robinson

Will Anderson Jr

Jalen Carter (IF off-field issues don't continue)

Michael Mayer (The most complete TE in the draft)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea probably 6 or 7 can't miss types is average. 5 to kinda 10 max. 

That's always the way it's seemed to me.  I paid a lot more attention to the draft when the Bills were picking in the top 10, and I always thought that at 10 the Bills were just outside of the premier-player range.    I haven't paid attention this season, but it's noticeable that no one is talking guys as absolute locks.   

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Carter was definitely the first name that came to my mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t have any tbh. Strictly as a player- Carter is the only guy.  Bijan would be next, but if he’s behind a bad OL with no pass game, he’s toast too. Skoronski would be if he was a guard. 

Excellent point on Robinson - against Alabama and TCU his avg per carry was sub 3.  Nobody (except maybe Barry Sanders) is effective when there is no place to run.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BB2004 said:

Do you think it will be worse than 2002? 

Before my time. 2015 is kinda my low water mark. 2013 wasn't great at the top (might have had zero "can't miss" guys at the time) but that was a good draft from like 25-100. It just had no QBs and no star names. 2015 was a bad class. At the time people didn't think that way because it had two highly touted QBs at the top. But neither Winston nor Mariota ended up hitting and after that it was very weak.

Maybe not probowl material like the OP states, but "potential for instant impact"

LB Jack Campbell

DT Jalen Carter

DT Calijah Kancey

S Brian Branch

OC John Michael Schmitz

CB Devon Witherspoon

TE Dalton Kincaid

RB Bijan Robinson

TE Michael Mayer

OT Cody Mauch (if me shifts over to OG)

RB Zach Charbonnet

"later round".......

DE Karl Brooks (underrated)

DT Kobie Turner

DT Moro Ojomo

OT Blake Freeland

RB Tyaje Spears

LB Ivan Pace Jr.  (has potential to be a top special team gunner)

That's all I got for can't miss...

Edited by Yantha
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Good list, but Joey Porter Jr. is an interesting addition.  I hear he has issues with playing the ball rather than the receiver (very sticky in coverage, but not elite ball skills).  Of course, I haven't watched him almost at all, and he does seem like someone you could flip to safety if the ball skills become an issue.  

I'd put the OT from Northwestern (who I can't spell) in here also.  I think he is at worst an above-average OT/OG, and pans out to be a pro-bowl type OG. 

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

There about the same level but 2002 had Julius Peppers , Dwight Freeney, Albert Hanesworth , Clinton Portis , John Henderson & Jeremy Shockey amongst others. I don’t see any Freeney or Peppers in this draft.  

Freeney had the issue of being small, that' why he went #11 (as I recall).  I think the NW OT/G becomes a stud following the draft this year.  

I think B. Robinson is better than Portis.  

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Good list, but Joey Porter Jr. is an interesting addition.  I hear he has issues with playing the ball rather than the receiver (very sticky in coverage, but not elite ball skills).  Of course, I haven't watched him almost at all, and he does seem like someone you could flip to safety if the ball skills become an issue.  

I'd put the OT from Northwestern (who I can't spell) in here also.  I think he is at worst an above-average OT/OG, and pans out to be a pro-bowl type OG. 

Freeney had the issue of being small, that' why he went #11 (as I recall).  I think the NW OT/G becomes a stud following the draft this year.  

I think B. Robinson is better than Portis.  

If Robinson is better then Portis then we must take him if he falls to #27. Maybe even trade up to 22 give up a forth why not. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think Porter is safe as houses personally. Kid can play. Skoronski I agree if a team drafts him to play guard. I worry if you play him LT he might fail fast.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If Carter were around when we picked im reluctantly taking him, knowing damn well i think its a stupid idea. Dude was so fat that he couldnt finish combine drills?

He very possibly could be depressed, and thats fair, i get it it sucks.... but he feels like the type that wouldve shown up this way even without the accident. 

Im sure im biased from Marcel, but out of shape, questionable character DT's are maybe the scariest prospects. Whoever takes him better get him help ASAP, and find short term goals (consistently) to keep him motivated.

Gun to my head response though, im saying Bust. 

His floor is me lol

Ceiling is probably Suh

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

If Carter were around when we picked im reluctantly taking him, knowing damn well i think its a stupid idea. Dude was so fat that he couldnt finish combine drills?

He very possibly could be depressed, and thats fair, i get it it sucks.... but he feels like the type that wouldve shown up this way even without the accident. 

Im sure im biased from Marcel, but out of shape, questionable character DT's are maybe the scariest prospects. Whoever takes him better get him help ASAP, and find short term goals (consistently) to keep him motivated.

Gun to my head response though, im saying Bust. 

His floor is me lol

Ceiling is probably Suh

Yea you have to be comfortable with the off field. And that is the stuff an amateur just cannot know. Teams who have met with him and have access to the people who have been around him have a much better shot.

4 hours ago, Yantha said:

Maybe not probowl material like the OP states, but "potential for instant impact"

LB Jack Campbell

DT Jalen Carter

DT Calijah Kancey

S Brian Branch

OC John Michael Schmitz

CB Devon Witherspoon

TE Dalton Kincaid

RB Bijan Robinson

TE Michael Mayer

OT Cody Mauch (if me shifts over to OG)

RB Zach Charbonnet

"later round".......

DE Karl Brooks (underrated)

DT Kobie Turner

DT Moro Ojomo

OT Blake Freeland

RB Tyaje Spears

LB Ivan Pace Jr.  (has potential to be a top special team gunner)

That's all I got for can't miss...

I'm not disputing your list, but no WR? Typically every draft has a guy or two that turns out to be very good.  If WR is that bad, then Beane had better double down on the trenches.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm not disputing your list, but no WR? Typically every draft has a guy or two that turns out to be very good.  If WR is that bad, then Beane had better double down on the trenches.

WR stinks this year 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Before my time. 2015 is kinda my low water mark. 2013 wasn't great at the top (might have had zero "can't miss" guys at the time) but that was a good draft from like 25-100. It just had no QBs and no star names. 2015 was a bad class. At the time people didn't think that way because it had two highly touted QBs at the top. But neither Winston nor Mariota ended up hitting and after that it was very weak.

Before your time how?  How old are you???  Am I that far off?  I thought you were 40ish

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Carter has a  risk, that of being Darius v2.0  No thanks

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That's always the way it's seemed to me.  I paid a lot more attention to the draft when the Bills were picking in the top 10, and I always thought that at 10 the Bills were just outside of the premier-player range.    I haven't paid attention this season, but it's noticeable that no one is talking guys as absolute locks.   

I think that's what's wrong with  a lot of posters complaining about the team's drafts.  WE PICK 5 FROM THE BOTTOM IN EVERY RD PEOPLE!

We have 6 picks.  So let's scrap our 3rd yr. RT in favor of a rookie with our rd.1 pick or.....let's blow our top pick (or any pick,) on a RB! 

No wait!!!  We need to get another small 170 lb. WR....or one that's been injured.   Out of an entire class with maybe 2 1st rd. talents, who'll be long gone before 27, we should trade up! We need to make a Sammy type of deal ( which now would probably get us up 5-7 spots maybe) or give up all our picks!

Beane sucks!!!!

I waited 25 yrs. in between playoff rosters. Frazier is gone! We'll get guys back healthy and I'm looking forward to this camp and season! No one....not one will know  the exact spot McBeane shall  pickith. The amount of complaining about the GM and H.C. that lacks intelligence is getting to epidemic proportions.

Edited by nosejob

7 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Excellent point on Robinson - against Alabama and TCU his avg per carry was sub 3.  Nobody (except maybe Barry Sanders) is effective when there is no place to run.

Even Barry got snuffed. Notably against the Packers in the playoffs where they held him to -1 yards on 13 carries. Oline matters, especially against elite Dlines backed by mobile LBers. 

14 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

when I hear "can't miss" the next words I hear is "generational talent" 

Not in this draft. 

Sometimes elite players emerge, but it usually takes the later round guys 2-3 seasons to do so. I’m sure there’s someone who’s been overlooked or a physical freak who hasn’t been developed due to small school or something in this draft class. Who that is??? No one will know ahead of time. Just makes me think of Elvis Dumervil,  Jason Peters, John Randall, Hardy Nickerson, etc. There’s usually at least one of two in a class that turn into HOF talents. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Like (+1) 1

For me, the concept of only 5-10 “can’t miss” prospects is fascinating and goes to show the skill level in the NFL.  It also definitively answers the question of “could the best college team hold their own against the worst nfl team”.  No.  Not even close.  

Think about how many players are in college.  Granted, they have to be Jr or Sr, but still.  Out of all those players, how little of them make a solid NFL career for themselves or perform at a high level.  

Just crazy 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.