Who are considered the "Can't Miss" prospects in the draft this year?

Virgil

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

For me, the concept of only 5-10 “can’t miss” prospects is fascinating and goes to show the skill level in the NFL.  It also definitively answers the question of “could the best college team hold their own against the worst nfl team”.  No.  Not even close.  

Think about how many players are in college.  Granted, they have to be Jr or Sr, but still.  Out of all those players, how little of them make a solid NFL career for themselves or perform at a high level.  

Just crazy 

The extra levels of commitment are insane. You see it in a lot of professions, but in sports it’s easier to notice, especially now that it’s one of the few merit based high profile professions in the public eye…. The focus, commitment, buy in, and sacrifice required to reach the pinnacles of achievement wash out a lot of guys before natural/genetic talent is even factored in. I’m college you’re not allowed to fully sacrifice and commit, so talent reigns more on the playing field where the margins are larger. 

I’ll go on record now, this QB class is 2018 all over again. You decide who you think is more Allen between Levis and Richardson.  I won’t be surprised if all of them are busts. Also, Hooker may get taken late in the 1st like Lamar and have the most immediate impact.

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I’ll go on record now, this QB class is 2018 all over again. You decide who you think is more Allen between Levis and Richardson.  I won’t be surprised if all of them are busts. Also, Hooker may get taken late in the 1st like Lamar and have the most immediate impact.

Hooker can’t run like Lamar 

if anything Richardson will have the early impact running because nobody can tackle him 

I remember when LB Aaron Curry was the most can’t miss prospect of all can’t miss prospects… and then he busted.
None of these guys are “can’t miss.” I wish Beane would get in the habit of stockpiling picks through trade downs rather than sacrificing picks to move up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I get the concept, but this draft class isn’t anywhere near the same hype.  

Darnold and Mayfield were considered next level studs.   People wanted us to tank for Darnold.  Even Rosen was considered the most pro-ready.  

I agree in that I don’t think any of these QBs are going to be top 10 performers in the NFL ever, but they aren’t projected to be either 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, boyst said:

Before your time how?  How old are you???  Am I that far off?  I thought you were 40ish

Before my time watching the league. I found football age 18 on holiday in the States in August 2002. I didn't really start paying much attention to the draft until about 2009 and I started trying to grade players in 2014. 

I'm about to turn 39 so no, you are not far off!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I remember when LB Aaron Curry was the most can’t miss prospect of all can’t miss prospects… and then he busted.
None of these guys are “can’t miss.” I wish Beane would get in the habit of stockpiling picks through trade downs rather than sacrificing picks to move up.

Good call on Curry.  I remember thinking he was the safest, highest-floor player in that draft.  I’m not sure what happened with him - I don’t think he had off-field issues or injury that derailed him.  I think teams just badly misjudged his talent.

Has anyone mentioned Tony Mandarich?  He was supposed to be a super-dominant OL, but turned out he was a roided up guy who wasn’t very good at football.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think Jack Campbell is, I can’t miss prospect

In the terms that I think he will be a starter for years to whatever team he goes to

That isn't what "can't miss" means to me. 

To me "can't miss" are guys with high ceiling, high floor. 

Jack Campbell is high floor. He isn't high ceiling. I think he is very unlikely to be a total bust, not sure he is very likely to be a superstar either. 

I could actually see him being a pro bowler as a rookie. That wouldn't surprise me. LVE is the right comparison. You just saw everything he had his rookie year and that is who he was.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I get where you’re going with that statement because the talent level feels about that way, but I do think that mentally young and CJ Stroud are built differently than Baker, Darnold and Rosen. The 2023 top of the class seem to have really good heads on their shoulders so I think they will have better careers even if I don’t think this class is amazing. I don’t think anyone in this class including Richardson and Levis have Josh Allen potential in them. Levis people like to brag about his arm but it’s not even close to Josh even if he tries to play the same game as Josh with his gritty style and Richardson, with all his amazing basket of tools, hasn’t done anything with them production wise to lead me to think he will be able to in the NFL but if either of them gets with the right coaching staff, who knows. I’m also not enamored with Hooker but his production in the SEC this year definitely shows he’s a winner which teams are gonna like and he will probably drop to a good team so he has a chance to be a decent starter. We’ll see but my gut says Young and Stroud have solid 8-10 year careers in this league while the rest flash out.

With the Bills in the win now mode, I would be inclined to have the Bills move up and select a player in their "can't miss draft and start" category. Based on the 2023 draft trade value chart, I would be comfortable trading up to pick 17. 

2 hours ago, gjv said:

With the Bills in the win now mode, I would be inclined to have the Bills move up and select a player in their "can't miss draft and start" category. Based on the 2023 draft trade value chart, I would be comfortable trading up to pick 17. 

I'm listening, but what is the compensation?....

I'll be honest with you, I dont think there is one guy in this draft that is a Can't Miss prospect.  Carter is about as close as it gets but he's obviously got some character stuff. I am not sold nearly as highly on Will Anderson as others are.  He is def a top 10 guy in this draft but he has dominant games and then he disappears for stretches. 

10 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Curry! Nice one.

I'd love to go back and compare his scouting report to Bobby Wagner's. 

Going back even farther, I’ve watched the draft since ‘99, when I was happy the Bills took Peerless Price in the 2nd. The first time I heard the term “can’t miss” was when Robert Gallery came out a few years later. And he never developed into the dominant LT everyone said he was. As old as I feel bringing up Price in the 2nd, I was too young in the Mandarich days 😄

#1- Bryce Young QB ( he was brilliant with the weakest WR group at ALA in a decade)

#2- Peter Skoronski OT (guard or tackle....will play a very long time)

#3- Nolan Smith Edge  (you can't teach 4.39 speed at that size) BOLD PREDICTION...he falls to bills, beane cant help himself

Edited by papazoid

21 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hooker can’t run like Lamar 

if anything Richardson will have the early impact running because nobody can tackle him 

I don’t expect Hooker to run, I expect him to be pretty decent early if he gets to a decent team.

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I don’t expect Hooker to run, I expect him to be pretty decent early if he gets to a decent team.

I think he’s squarely a dak prascott comp

solid at a lot of things… great at not really anything… a guy who can be developed into a solid QB2 or average Qb1 

I would take him if I didn’t have a QB in the 2nd or 3rd because he needs some seasoning but has QB2 floor

for the bills he would be a great 4th round pick as backup 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I get where you’re going with that statement because the talent level feels about that way, but I do think that mentally young and CJ Stroud are built differently than Baker, Darnold and Rosen. The 2023 top of the class seem to have really good heads on their shoulders so I think they will have better careers even if I don’t think this class is amazing. I don’t think anyone in this class including Richardson and Levis have Josh Allen potential in them. Levis people like to brag about his arm but it’s not even close to Josh even if he tries to play the same game as Josh with his gritty style and Richardson, with all his amazing basket of tools, hasn’t done anything with them production wise to lead me to think he will be able to in the NFL but if either of them gets with the right coaching staff, who knows. I’m also not enamored with Hooker but his production in the SEC this year definitely shows he’s a winner which teams are gonna like and he will probably drop to a good team so he has a chance to be a decent starter. We’ll see but my gut says Young and Stroud have solid 8-10 year careers in this league while the rest flash out.

I get what you are saying, but also would argue, it’s virtually identical in the basic make up.  You have an undersized, high performer, that probably goes #1.  Then a more traditional and equally accomplished in college type of guy.  Then you have a couple freak athletes.. one bound to bust like Rosen, I’d just throw milk on Levis in pregame and be done with him if I were a D coordinator, so I have my doubts there.   Hooker, I think could be an early performer.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think he’s squarely a dak prascott comp

solid at a lot of things… great at not really anything… a guy who can be developed into a solid QB2 or average Qb1 

I would take him if I didn’t have a QB in the 2nd or 3rd because he needs some seasoning but has QB2 floor

for the bills he would be a great 4th round pick as backup 

I think Dak is a solid comparison.  I’d happily take that vs anything we had between Kelly and Allen, so yeah. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I get what you are saying, but also would argue, it’s virtually identical in the basic make up.  You have an undersized, high performer, that probably goes #1.  Then a more traditional and equally accomplished in college type of guy.  Then you have a couple freak athletes.. one bound to bust like Rosen, I’d just throw milk on Levis in pregame and be done with him if I were a D coordinator, so I have my doubts there.   Hooker, I think could be an early performer.

I think Dak is a solid comparison.  I’d happily take that vs anything we had between Kelly and Allen, so yeah. 

I think he’s a much safer prospect than  Bryce young who’s considered top 15

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2023 at 10:00 AM, Virgil said:

While we expect to see 4 QB's go in the top 10, I've seen numerous evaluations stating that none of these guys would be a #1 pick in most prior year drafts.  Most players I see have some opportunity or require a scheme fit.

A lot of mocks have Levis sliding out of the top 10.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.