Cover 1 Just put out a new Mock Draft, Edge round 1.

PrimeTime101

So I slammed them hard in live chat about going Edge in round 1 and ignoring ILB in early rounds. But... Listening to them talk about going Edge in round 1. They do make sense though I still disagree. I am hoping I am right about going Edge round 1 is a horrible decision but maybe someone here can prove me wrong?

here is the link.

• Vomit 3
  • Dislike 1

It's a position with a high bust rate.  Unless I had a top 10 pick or unless there was a very compelling need,  I would not select one before R3 or 4 as a general rule.  The Bills have neither,  but that hasn't stopped them before. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It's a position with a high bust rate.  Unless I had a top 10 pick or unless there was a very compelling need,  I would not select one before R3 or 4 as a general rule.  The Bills have neither,  but that hasn't stopped them before. 

I think Aaron Maybin would disagree with you, that being said.. edge blitzers are highly sought after and because of that, so many of them are picked... thus making their bust ratio higher because of it. But.. yea again.. Edge here, just does not make sense to me. 

Edited by PrimeTime101

I do feel like we could use another piece at EDGE, but I wonder if it doesn’t make more sense to just wait until we get closer to camp and sign one of the many pass rushers still available.  

This is a huge year for Rousseau, and the Bills will want to give Epenesa every chance to show he warrants a legit second contract, here, or elsewhere, but we could really use a reliable vet pass rusher to throw in the rotation and allow us to bring Von back slowly.  

If we do go defense again 27, it should be DL.   LB is just such a value waste for that pick in a modern defense. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I do feel like we could use another piece at EDGE, but I wonder if it doesn’t make more sense to just wait until we get closer to camp and sign one of the many pass rushers still available.  

This is a huge year for Rousseau, and the Bills will want to give Epenesa every chance to show he warrants a legit second contract, here, or elsewhere, but we could really use a reliable vet pass rusher to throw in the rotation and allow us to bring Von back slowly.  

If we do go defense again 27, it should be DL.   LB is just such a value waste for that pick in a modern defense. 

where is Edge on your list for round 1? first? second? third choice?

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

where is Edge on your list for round 1? first? second? third choice?

In RD1:

OT

WR

Bijan Robinson

DL (EDGE or DT)

I guess it would be 4th, but not so distant that I’d be upset if they picked that position at 27.   I think all four of those make sense in RD1. 

As far as linebacker goes, I don’t really have much of an appetite for drafting one at all.  Let Bernard, Dodson and Spector battle it out and/or sign a vet who fits our scheme during camp cuts. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

In RD1:

OT

WR

Bijan Robinson

DL (EDGE or DT)

I guess it would be 4th, but not so distant that I’d be upset if they picked that position at 27.   I think all four of those make sense in RD1. 

As far as linebacker goes, I don’t really have much of an appetite for drafting one at all.  Let Bernard, Dodson and Spector battle it out and/or sign a vet who fits our scheme during camp cuts. 

IDK, I think going Defense round 1 or the thought of it, in yet another draft? just makes me physically ill lol

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I’ve been saying this stuff about edge for awhile. Sometimes I think these guys read here and take their content from here. 

Lol no.. these guys spend a lot of time doing their own homework.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Who did they pick?

Will McDonnald IV Edge.

Will McDonnald IV Edge.

Yea I can see the case for McDonald. It is a projection because he was largely misused in college IMO. But I like him. Would like him more in a trade down.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Will McDonnald IV Edge.

Yeah i get that, but some of us were talking about going edge since the combine…now all of a sudden the switch? Very convenient. 

• Vomit 1

6 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

IDK, I think going Defense round 1 or the thought of it, in yet another draft? just makes me physically ill lol

If there’s a legit Tackle available when we pick, and we go DL over OT, I’ll probably have the same reaction.  

I get it, if they truly believe in Brown to make a jump and the Kromer “Year Two”

effect, but … yea …. 

DL over WR makes sense if they don’t feel there’s a huge difference between what’s there at 27 and what will be there in RD2.   Which could very well be plausible. 

Or maybe they see how the draft falls after RD1 and we then pull a draft day trade for Hopkins. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If there’s a legit Tackle available when we pick, and we go DL over OT, I’ll probably have the same reaction.  

I get it, if they truly believe in Brown to make a jump and the Kromer “Year Two”

effect, but … yea …. 

DL over WR makes sense if they don’t feel there’s a huge difference between what’s there at 27 and what will be there in RD2.   Which could very well be plausible. 

Or maybe they see how the draft falls after RD1 and we then pull a draft day trade for Hopkins. 

thanks

51 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think Aaron Maybin would disagree with you, that being said.. edge blitzers are highly sought after and because of that, so many of them are picked... thus making their bust ratio higher because of it. But.. yea again.. Edge here, just does not make sense to me. 

Aaron Maybin was probably the most obvious bust I've ever seen the Bills take over the last 30+ years.  It's a classic example of why a team shouldn't reach for a player just based on high positional value.  

• Like (+1) 4

Of course they did, it’s what all the cool kids are doing…. 

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So I slammed them hard in live chat about going Edge in round 1 and ignoring ILB in early rounds. But... Listening to them talk about going Edge in round 1. They do make sense though I still disagree. I am hoping I am right about going Edge round 1 is a horrible decision but maybe someone here can prove me wrong?

here is the link.

Okay, I don't like it either but I'll try to justify that direction.  Again, I don't agree with it....

Argument 1:  The Eagles and Chiefs were the TOP TWO teams in sacks during the regular season.  Interesting.

Where did the Bills land?  SIXTEENTH.  Also interesting.

Argument 2:  Von Miller is old and injured.  Not a good combination heading into a new season.  And when he returns, will be 100?  And effective?  How many games will he be able to play?  16?  8?

Argument 3:  Miller's backup (slated to be the starter until Miller can return from injury) is Epenesa?  Basham?  Are we good with that?

That's all I got.....  but if we do "the unthinkable" and pick DE Van Ness, for example......  think about Argument 1-3.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Aaron Maybin was probably the most obvious bust I've ever seen the Bills take over the last 30+ years.  It's a classic example of why a team shouldn't reach for a player just based on high positional value.  

Never liked the pick but positionally I don’t even think it was that bad of a choice… We were still in Trent Edwards infancy and had a decent run game to assist… Schobel and Kelsey were both the only real options entering that off season, the former ended up retiring after Maybin’s rookie year. To boot, Maybin didn’t do too bad in limited use his Freshman year at Penn State and his Sophomore year wasn’t bad by any standard for an edge player. The problem was the high risk, high reward. After Maybin there was only one player, going by positional selection, who panned out. And that was Orakpo; who actually had very similar stats the year of draft declaration. 

Its always a combination of both the player and the coaching they come into. Saw an interview with Maybin in his studio apartment a few years back where he was talking about his real passion being the arts. That, if anything, played the biggest part to his failure. He got paid and didn’t have the need or desire to play football.

Can’t hit every pick on the head.

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Okay, I don't like it either but I'll try to justify that direction.  Again, I don't agree with it....

Argument 1:  The Eagles and Chiefs were the TOP TWO teams in sacks during the regular season.  Interesting.

Argument 2:  Von Miller is old and injured.  Not a good combination heading into a new season.  And when he returns, will be 100?  And effective?  How many games will he be able to play?  16?  8?

Argument 3:  Miller's backup (slated to be the starter until Miller can return from injury) is Epenesa?  Basham?  Are we good with that?

That's all I got.....  but if we do "the unthinkable" and pick DE Van Ness, for example......  think about Argument 1-3.....

I get what you are saying but I see it differently when it comes to Von.

I actually don't want him to start the season. I hope he starts later, gets into the form by the end of the season and peaks in PO. Less (fewer?) games he plays lower the chance he gets injured.

I want us for once to have a different season. Let's start with lot of question marks, with some losses to tough teams, and get it together when it matters. Von's injury could be blessing in disguise in this respect (I mean for the next season, it wasn't one for the last).

I am perfectly fine with drafting edge if he is clearly a BPA though.

Edited by No_Matter_What

Edge rusher my goodness this is just lazy reporting why not just go running back as well. How many more high picks does a defense need to suck in the clutch?
Here Josh even though you are the franchise here’s an ok guard and two mediocre receivers now watch as we go defensive end again.  

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Argument 3:  Miller's backup (slated t

o be the starter until Miller can return from injury) is Epenesa?  Basham?  Are we good with that?

This could also, at least mostly, apply to Dhop as well. Bringing him in praying for Lofton while kicking the can might not be very wise either.

4 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

here is the link.

I take all these mock drafts with a grain of salt. Just plain speculation and mostly bs.  Animation Magic GIF by bryson mcbee

1 hour ago, Yawning Frog said:

I take all these mock drafts with a grain of salt. Just plain speculation and mostly bs.  Animation Magic GIF by bryson mcbee

I would not call this BS. I could see us taking many of these picks in these rounds... that being said... Of COURSE.. I take it with a grain of salt. I try and keep Cover 1 chats fun by throwing fits when I do not agree with something lol

14 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I would not call this BS. I could see us taking many of these picks in these rounds... that being said... Of COURSE.. I take it with a grain of salt. I try and keep Cover 1 chats fun by throwing fits when I do not agree with something lol

maybe

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Facts. NOBODY wanted Maybin. Orakpo was the consensus pick for 90% of fans on the Bills forums. Stupid stupid pick. At least Whitner went on to have a decent career. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Edge is sneaky need. Who are we banking on? 34 year old Von coming off of ACL surgery? Rousseau to make a huge leap. AJE and Boogie are definition of JAG. This defense becomes extremely soft without a rush. No more Frazier, this is McDs defense this year. He is going to want to put his stamp on it. 1st pick is definitely defense imo. ILB is a more glaring need but edge is not far behind at all. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.