Possible McKenzie Replacement Bills sign Deonte Harty (formally Deonte Harris)

MAJBobby

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

So, for the money, is Harty (potentially) our starting slot? 

3.7M cap hit isn’t that bad, especially if you subtract 2.5M from that if we cut McKenzie. 

The speed/route running explosiveness in his highlights is impressive.  

I literally have never heard of this man until today.  

Better him than Crowder. :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

He only ran 4.48 at the combine. Is he supposed to be quicker than that?

He ran a 4.35 at his pro day. 

Regardless,  it's readily apparent watching his highlights that he has elite speed on the field. 

Edited by Brandon
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I like the signing because we obviously need more legit weapons, but my only question is what's going on with Shakir?  I was hoping this year he was going to take over the slot role.

seems like complimentary pieces. shakir is quick (not fast), and a strong runner, mini deebo was the comp. this guy is blazing speed and elusive, HR hitter. possession vs big play ability. excited to see how dorsey uses them

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'm curious, what do you see that he "brings ot the field?"  Here is his career gamelog;  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrDe07/gamelog/

I'm guessing it's the kinda thing where you actually have to watch the game.  😁

Return man wasn't very high up our needs list given all the other needs.  BTW, he's got a 47.9 rating on PFF, which is piss poor.  While hardly the end-all-to-be-all, their methodology is sound over there.  

Right now I see Milano having a busy season.  LOL  Apparently until further notice his new position is OIMOLB.  LOL  

Seems like a stupid signing to me.  I mean really, we sign Hines as an outlet, don't use him at all like that, when he's fantastic at it.  Draft Cook for the same reason, don't use him much.  I don't see this guy catching more than 25-30 passes with all of the options that Allen has.  If I had to bet I'd say fewer than 20.  That was hardly the case in NO where they had a roster full of nothing JAG WRs.  

Terrible signing, waste of money, and IMO this is Beane's way of trying to recover Hodgins, thinking he's going under the wire to redeem himself.  Sounds just like Beane.  His Draft had better be A+ or he's going to sink himself.  

If it’s fair to talk about his 47 Pff rating in a season that saw him get 2 targets and miss most of the season to injury….I suppose it’s fair to talk about his 87 Pff rating the year prior….when he was mostly healthy and actually played a lot of snaps.  

You could be right about It being a waste of 5M - for one year.  His real money is tied to playing and production incentives. 

He can play if healthy.  Healthy is the only major concern….other than Dorsey’s ability to make proper use of him….and Hines and cook and shakir and knox. If Dorsey does a good job, I think we’ll be very happy with the signing.  If Dorsey doesn’t do a good job, it’ll be Beanes fault Fo signing him.

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

seems like complimentary pieces. shakir is quick (not fast), and a strong runner, mini deebo was the comp. this guy is blazing speed and elusive, HR hitter. possession vs big play ability. excited to see how dorsey uses them

Agree.  Shakir & Harty is a nice potential duo in the slot, with both having the ability to also play outside.  

Edited by SCBills

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Can’t imagine the Bills try a platoon at outside WR…. Stick Harris in the slot and get a good 1B across from Diggs and call it a day at WR.

That is probably the plan.  Needed to fix slot I think they did that here.  I think there is likely another WR coming this UFA.  Also a 1 year prove it with a second year if player performs does not stop that or stop taking WRs early in the draft.

15 minutes ago, Airseven said:

You mean if Dorsey can actually incorporate him into the offense and if Allen can actually hit him in stride.

Ah yes, if Josh Allen can hit him in stride. He hasn’t shown he’s capable of that. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/analysis-josh-allen-led-nfl-in-deep-passing-in-2022/article_7b4afef2-9050-11ed-922c-c3e8a2f6dfc0.html

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Can’t imagine the Bills try a platoon at outside WR…. Stick Harris in the slot and get a good 1B across from Diggs and call it a day at WR.

Or get the RB's and TE's involved in the passing game like a competent OC/QB combo would do. No need for a 1B WR. Knock on wood one of those guys doesn't go down. If we build a passing attack to spread the ball around more, we can manage better through any potential injuries that could come up.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

“ we need playmakers”.  “We need speed”. “We need a slot WR”. “Beane neglects offense”. 

Bills sign a playmaking slot WR (that can also make contested catches) with blazing speed:  “why’d we pay him so much?”

🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah I think most of us saying those things had something else in mind than a guy who had 2 receptions last season and has 4 total TD's in 4 years in the NFL.

Our version of "playmaker" is a bit different than this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.