Possible McKenzie Replacement Bills sign Deonte Harty (formally Deonte Harris)

MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Wow. Some of the Saints fans (his former team) are obliterating this signing. I know that Saints fans probably watched their own player less than @NewEra, but they have their opinions too.

Here are the comments from the Saints forum:

"Unfortunately, it seems Deontay’s small body may not be able to consistently endure full seasons at the pro level. He also seemed zoned out last season." - breesgirl

"Already missed 23 games in 4 years due to injury and 3 to suspension. Not to mention the 9 fumbles in the games he did play. Buffalo did us a favor, we will break a table for em." - 44slayer

"Expensive guy for the rehab room" - dataussie

"He will probably fit in really well there. He always seemed to have some potential that wasn't fully unlocked here and Shaheed just made him expendable. Wish him well" - t-rex23

"My gosh, you can’t make these contracts up. The money teams are throwing at former Saints players is ridiculous. He basically won the lottery. I don’t think any other team except for the Bills were going to offer him that kind of money. He is an injury waiting to happen just because of his small stature." - dvdman

"Small school KR/PR guys are a dime a dozen as UDFAs, next." - Seafog

"The Bills overpaid for Harty just like the Saints did for Peat" - fishing4food

"He wasn't playing even when healthy last year was he? I don't get the big money on this one." - Elvis

"That is an expensive addition to their Tub Club. Glad we moved on from him, we dont need inactive all stars." - 44slayer

"He showed up in the 2019 and 2020 playoffs. But as the TB game showed in 2020, he could be a big asset when healthy (although he looked shaky last year even before he got hurt) but he was prone to injuries." - lordpoopington

"Massive overpay" - Beerbaron

"They can have him" - Rajincajun83

"Won't miss this guy." Que Que 6

"Loved him whole here and made a lot of plays for us. I wish him well" - tim martin

"Agreed. I know players are worth whatever anyone is willing to pay them, but this seems like a massive overpay for someone that's barely on the field and when he is, the impact is minimal outside of a VERY small handful of highlight plays." - saintaholic

"They must really need a PR/KR/WR4 type. That’s a ridiculous amount for him. Glad he got paid. Even happier my Saints didn’t write that check. Good luck to him, though." - breesgirl

"Shame, he was great here and has been my favourite return man by far as a Saint. Crazy to see how many guys are signing away from us for big money!" - Cowtownsaint

"If he can stay healthy in Buffalo, it's a great offense for him to be in. A ton of speed and QB with an absolute cannon in Allen." - belowzero

"I wish him well, but players of his stature rarely have long careers in the NFL…." - sfidc3

"Nice for him ,that's a lot of $ But i'd rather keep Shaheed than Harty" - killerdescore

"We have a bigger and cheaper and younger version of him in Shaheed... So he was never coming back here anyway... I wish him well in Buffalo... He was a good player here." - infoman

link

You expect fans of a player, outgoing to actually give you legitimate criticisms

You’re better than this, I think

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

LOL, Beane doesn't need an assist from me.  Just sayin'.  He's doin' fine all by himself.  

If things don't change/improve rapidly, watching the comments here at the end of or even during the season will be funny.  Keep in mind, mine won't change much, but the swing by those insisting that he's doing great are going to be the most hilarious as they typically are.  

This is humorous, seeing as how Brandon Beane was last year‘s executive of the year

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What on earth are you even talking about comparing this signing to Hodgins? 

Did you ask the people stating that he was a slot WR multiple times in this thread the same question?   Ask them, not me.  I went by what they said.  Harty hasn't even taken my notice over the past four seasons, for any reason whatsoever.  

But again, now Harty's a deep WR?  Seriously?  That money for that?  Whatever.  

Beane continues to dig his own grave here.  

10 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This signing is almost not worth talking about to me. 

He is more of the same from Beane. 

This delusion of Swiss Army Knife players that can take dump offs to the house. 

Once McDermott gets a sniff of his Special Teams abilities, he'll get permanently stuck there.

Positional flexibility is Beane's thing. Perhaps even more so than actual ability. Both McGovern and Harty fit the bill as well as the concern.

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Pretty pricey puck up for what looks to be a gadet WR. He adds speed but this pick up seems like a reach. 

I'll be in wait and see mode. Amazes me how others here think he's a godsend. As you've stated based on his past peformance it hard to get excited.

Likely another Beane miss than a hit?

The rest will figure it out during the season.  LOL  

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You expect fans of a player, outgoing to actually give you legitimate criticisms

You’re better than this, I think

No one knows the player better than the fans who watched him for 4 seasons. 

Just like you know our players.

Edited by Einstein

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

LOL, Beane doesn't need an assist from me.  Just sayin'.  He's doin' fine all by himself.  

If things don't change/improve rapidly, watching the comments here at the end of or even during the season will be funny.  Keep in mind, mine won't change much, but the swing by those insisting that he's doing great are going to be the most hilarious as they typically are.  

I think the opposite.

We always have posters on here who think they know more than everyone, and are sure that this player or that player is going to be a miss - even though they know very little about that player.

Why not look at a signing like this in a positive way?  I can pretty much guarantee that Beane and his braintrust have pored over film of this guy, done the pros & cons analysis, looked at the upside, and made a sound decision. Like all GM decisions in the NFL, some work out, and some don't.  

But the negative comments on here are what I find hilarious.  I don't know the guy - but this signing is the worst!  I mean, huh?  

Allen is the greatest example. THAT thread from draft day is actually fun to revisit.  This isn't a big enough signing to warrant a "bust" label if Harty doesn't work out.  But I think he'll excel w/ Allen - we needed speed, we needed separation, we needed good hands.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

seems like complimentary pieces. shakir is quick (not fast), and a strong runner, mini deebo was the comp. this guy is blazing speed and elusive, HR hitter. possession vs big play ability. excited to see how dorsey uses them

The key is IF he uses them. Heard a lot of the same hype about Hynes & Shakir last season. They barely got used. He seems like another, faster version. But if they use, I mean don't use him, the same, who cares. Hopefully that disconnect between Beane's purchases & Dorsey's usages has been fixed & then you are correct about the result. But until I see it, I have trouble believing it. Still, I hope you're right.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

“ we need playmakers”.  “We need speed”. “We need a slot WR”. “Beane neglects offense”.

Bills sign a playmaking slot WR (that can also make contested catches) with blazing speed:  “why’d we pay him so much?”

🤦🏻‍♂️

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We were not talking about what is real or available. You found it ridiculous that people want a gamechanger WR and yet don't love this signing. But its not ridiculous. Because he's not a game changing WR. This is simple logic.

Disney Lying GIF by Anne Horel

There you go making things up again.  I didn’t say that.  He is everything that I said he was.  A playmaker.  Speed.  Slot.  

You’re putting words in my mouth.  Stop please

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Stop making sense!! This is the time we should be whining and crying about free agency!!!  

LOL.  I can't help it.  This place throws off my Libra scales!

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think it's quite possible McKenzie doesn't make the 53 man roster, but the Bills bring him into camp to compete with this guy and others.  JMO.  If this guy wins out, McKenzie will pocket $350,000 in new money (roster and workout bonus), the Bills will use his $1.87M salary and per-game roster bonuses to cover the expansion from 51 to 53 + PS

McKenzie may then retire and plan his wedding and run his restaurant, and this board will look for a new whipping boy.  OTOH, if Hardy gets injured in camp or doesn't work out as they wish, the Bills will take their lumps like they did with OJ Howard and keep McKenzie, like they kept Morris and Sweeney.

That scenario sees it as a $2M-$5M gamble.  Viewed that way, it's entirely consistent with Beane's MO: Corey Coleman for $3.5M in 2018 when we needed better OLmen desperately, OJ Howard for $3.5M in 2022, now this.

Agree totally.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Success said:

Has he played w/ an elite QB?

Well, he played with Drew Brees 9 games in 2019 and 8 games in 2020, if you want to count that.

Last 2 years with the Saints of course were an unholy brew of Siemian, Winston, Dalton, and Hill.

Harty's best year to date was 2021, 5 games with Winston, 6 games with Sieman, 1 game with Hill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.