Possible McKenzie Replacement Bills sign Deonte Harty (formally Deonte Harris)

MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

McKenzie has not only played in a lot of games he made an impact in practices emulating opposing players and he even played defense one game when Bills were trying to rest DBs.  His play won us a playoff game.

I do not understand this at all. Bills have KR/PR and this is far too much money for him despite "market".  Deshaun Watson was paid far more than market but this does not make it a good deal.  Bills should have learned last year that they may need more money than they planned with unexpected injuries.

Yea not interested in a player worth as a scout team decoy player 

I want speed , yac and TDs, explosive plays 

unfortunately he’s small and has been banged up. Just have to hit on these under the radar players. Just like draft

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

It's DJ Chark only. But he will be more than 3.75 for sure. 

And Robbie Anderson. Who is still probably more than 3.75. 

Would you trade Gabe Davis if you get a deal done with Chark given where our WRs currently sit?  I think I would 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

McKenzie has not only played in a lot of games he made an impact in practices emulating opposing players and he even played defense one game when Bills were trying to rest DBs.  His play won us a playoff game.

I do not understand this at all. Bills have KR/PR and this is far too much money for him despite "market".  Deshaun Watson was paid far more than market but this does not make it a good deal.  Bills should have learned last year that they may need more money than they planned with unexpected injuries.

I think he's being brought in to be our slot, as well as returning.

He checks a lot of boxes:  gets great separation, great hands, great YAC, stretches the field.  Those are all things we're lacking.

Just now, balln said:

Yea not interested in a player worth as a scout team decoy player 

I want speed , yac and TDs, explosive plays 

unfortunately he’s small and has been banged up. Just have to hit on these under the radar players. Just like draft

Now please look at Milanos INJ History, Morses (before Buffalo).

Those are mostly soft tissue and bills hyper focused on those so no issue for me

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but if this means McKenzie gets cut … just view this move as replacing 2.5M McKenzie with 3.7M Harty.  

Bills paying an extra 1M for a guy they think could boom in our offense.   McKenzie had his chance and it didn’t exactly work out. 

If they don’t address WR2, then my entire view of this signing changes.  However, I think we will. 

Agree with you on WR2.  But honestly, everyone was just talking about Kumerow replacing McKenzie.  

Seems like a lot of money for what he could bring but hasn't shown the ability to in the NFL in four seasons to date.  So he was injured last season, but in his third, not rookie or second season, in his third season he had 36 catches for 570 and 3 TDs, on a team absolutely starving for WR-ing talent.  Of his three TDs, one was a garbage-time TD in a loss and another the fifth TD in a 38-3 blowout.  Doesn't exactly spell out Mr. Clutch here.  LOL 

Even if he matches that here, it seems like a whole lot of money.  He did next to nothing in his first two seasons.  

Seems like a typical Beane reach to me.  Again, I'm guessing he's trying to redeem himself for letting Hodgins go and thinks he found the Hodgins equivalent in NO.  

Like everything, we'll see.  ....  LOL  

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yours is a very shallow opinion.  He was injured last season.  The previous season, he was VERY good in several metrics.  Top 5 WR good.  No, he’s not a top 5 WR, not even close, but he can we worth the money we paid him if used properly.

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/platform/amp/2022/2/17/22938420/deonte-harty-had-an-ultra-efficient-season

I'm not saying he can't help us. I was just saying it's not a contradiction to beg for a playmaker yet not be overly enthused by this move. This isn't the type of "playmaker" we had in mind when making those comments. We meant a true game breaking playmaker (which may not even be available). 

I think if most of us are being honest, we all knew very little about this guy before today. Now everyone is scrounging up links trying to prove that it was a magnificent signing. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Would you trade Gabe Davis if you get a deal done with Chark given where our WRs currently sit?  I think I would 

I would 100%. He is not a contested catch guy, though he looks the part. I would just sign Beckham honestly. He isn't 6-2 either. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Didnt need to read this far to know youre clueless, but it certainly reinforced it lol please tell me one thing these two have in common other than position

ill anxiously await your breath taking knowledge lol

LOL, ... the overreactions to this signing are hilarious.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Go to a lot of Assumption Greyhound games in 2018 did ya.  You must live int he Worcester area.  

Dude had 751 yards playing for Assumption in his last season there.  LOL   I'll give it to ya, he did post great games against St. Anselm, Bentley, and American International College.  Not much different the year prior where he posted great games against Findley and Merrimack.  

It's the Northeast 10 Conference, that I'd never even heard about.  Not exactly the SEC.  Just sayin'.  I hope he had some great moments.  

I work for a competing college, he burned us every time, couldn’t be covered 

Edited by Unsavory Peterman
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He is tiny.  He’s so electric though.  Not many slots have the juice to take a 5 yard slant the distance.  He does.  

We paid him more than I thought he’d get paid but mainly because he was out of sight and mind last year as he missed the seasons with turf toe.  Every time I’ve watched him play, he impressed me and left me thinking I’d like this guy on the Bills.

he’s a high risk (due to size), high reward (due to speed) player who’s contract won’t hurt us going forward (if he doesn’t work out).  

if he hits his incentives and makes the full amount…..then he produced.

Not slamming the signing, but he didn’t do anything against the Bills on Thanksgiving in 2021… having Trevor Siemian at QB probably didn’t help.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I would really like to know how many WR in UFA are 6'2 ad run 4.3s?  And could they be had for 3.75M?

Any WR that doesn’t sign with Buffalo. 

I don’t normally disclose my sources, but my source in this case is TBD. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Hopefully our incredible training facility (it really is top notch) can fix some of the injury issues he's had.

Injury History

2019 - Harris missed 2 games with a hamstring injury.

2020 - Harris suffered a hamstring injury and missed 3 games (IR).

2021 - Harris suffered a hamstring injury in Week five’s game vs. Washington and missed 3 games.

2022 - Harris injured toe and missed 12 games (IR).

It's the biggest risk of this signing.  Beane rolling the dice for $3.7M is the bottom line.  Personally, I believe McKenzie won't make the 53.

So, replacing McKenzie with Harty is a $1M or so gamble.  It has a chance to pay off pretty big if he can stay healthy.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

Nice, I did see a report that the Bills were looking for a field stretching WR in the draft, guess that won't be happening anymore but the guy was right.

More than one creates big issues, look at what HILL and Waddle create in Miami. Speed kills and we are lacking it. Lacking it with people that can catch the ball LOL

40 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm with you on this.  It's reported as $3.7M

Not thrilled with this.  If you aren’t cutting McK, what’s his role?

With a tight cap, that’s money that can go elsewhere 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I'm not saying he can't help us. I was just saying it's not a contradiction to beg for a playmaker yet not be overly enthused by this move. This isn't the type of "playmaker" we had in mind when making those comments. We meant a true game breaking playmaker (which may not even be available). 

I think if most of us are being honest, we all knew very little about this guy before today. Now everyone is scrounging up links trying to prove that it was a magnificent signing. 

“We” meant a “true gamebreaking playmaker”.  That’s all that you wanted?  You wanted one superstar WR?  You thought we were going to get a “true gamebreaking playmaker”?  LOL. Get real man.  I want a stud franchise LT paired with a stud all pro LG.  That’s not happening.  

You said it yourself-  you knew little about him.  I’ve been watching him since 2019.  I had him in a 15 team dynasty league.  

those that hate the signing are digging up Pff links from 2022 (where he barely played) while disregarding his 2021 Pff score where he played substantial snaps.

that’s what people do-  they look things up. you do it all the time.  Then you contradict yourself for all of us to see and enjoy.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

My main concern is just his injury history. If he stays healthy he looks like a big upgrade on McKenzie with only a small increase in the cap hit.

"Big upgrade to McKenzie" OK - What does McKenzie look like for the same time period by the same metrics, did Cover1 say?  Maybe this guy is a big upgrade.  In his 4 full years with the Bills, McKenzie saw 451, 270, 257, and 555 snaps, during which he proved himself able to stay on the field.

In his 4 years with the Saints, Hardy saw 66, 169, 298, and 24 snaps, during which he didn't prove himself able to stay on the field.  So Hardy only has one season of comparable #s of snaps.  The rest is a small data set.  Cover1 tried to adjust only looking 3 years back, so that takes out the smallest data set.  OK.  In the last 3 years, from available numbers I can crunch, McKenzie has more yards, more receptions, more TD and more 1D and it's not close, because he's been on the field consistently.  What about per route?  I don't know, but the bottom line, Hardy has 1 year of better production when he saw comparable snaps (298), which is great - but it's 1 year.

In addition to sharing your injury history concerns .... it's great that this guy has all these YAC.

But we all know the biggest factor in enabling YAC is a QB who can and will hit the underneath guy quickly and accurately, in-stride.

You and I have discussed this before, I believe - a big factor in our WR and RB not having good YAC has been Josh Allen hanging onto the ball waiting for something downfield to open up, then dumping off when it's clear to both him AND the defense there's no alternative so they close quickly.  There's some other things, like McKenzie has much higher 1D/tgt - but that likely again reflects the QB, Josh doesn't like to make a throw that doesn't have a chance to convert a 1D.

McKenzie's cap hit is $2.5M.  If this guy's cap hit is $3.7M, that's a 50% increase.  In theory, if he lives up to his best year 2021 and stays healthy AND Josh uses him appropriately, he could produce more.  But as said elsewhere, "hope is not a good plan" and neither is theory.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Rico said:

Not slamming the signing, but he didn’t do anything against the Bills on Thanksgiving in 2021… having Trevor Siemian at QB probably didn’t help.

As if that means anything?  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.