Possible McKenzie Replacement Bills sign Deonte Harty (formally Deonte Harris)

MAJBobby

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The point is that all of the guys I listed sure seemed like upgrades to McBeane when they signed them.

I get fans being down on McKenzie because of drops.  But he is a significant part of the Offense.  They would throw that away for a guy who for 4 years can hardly see the field:  he doesn't score, he doesn't get many 1st downs.  He's a sometimes return man.  The Bills already are paying Hines for this. 

He's not.  He was supposed to be but he wasn't.  I wanted him to be that guy.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's so bad he had to change his name...

13.5/2 for a guy with 64 catches in 4 seasons. 

Wizardry!

It’s 2-9.5-  if he hits the incentives to make 13.5, he will likely be worthy of the contract.  If he doesn’t- we can cut him after the season with not much dead cap.  Business as usual.  

it’s a one year roll of the dice in an offseason where there are very few good WR options to choose from.  I’d rather roll the dice on a one year salary midget then using a 1-3 rd pick on an unproven midget.  

I’m confidant that we’ll draft a bigger WR to add to the unit.  If we don’t, I’ll think it’s a mistake not adding one. 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Who are the delusional that are predicting he becomes a Tyreek Hill type of playmaker?

I knew that would fire people up.

Nobody is saying he is Tyreek Hill.

But I listened to Sal Capaccio and Joe D and Jeremy White do their best to hype this up, as he is a Swiss Army knife kind of player.

Joe D said something like this is a player that the Chiefs would maximize.

He’s not.

He has 700 career receiving yards.

Like the one Saints poster said, small school guys who are fast but small are a dime a dozen.

The Bills couldn’t figure out how to get James Cook or Hines or McKenzie consistent touches in the pass game. I am highly skeptical he catches any meaningful volume of passes for this team. 

He’s proven that he is a borderline NFL player/practice squader.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I swear to God, some of these people have voices in their head that tell them things who equivalent of this guy Tyreek Hill

the whiners and the cryers like to pretend and put words in others’ people mouths.  

7 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Well, the salary cap started in 1994, that might have something to do with your observation that the Bills were better back then.

This is a good exercise to do, I'd run it if I thought it would generate fruitful discussion here, but I don't think it would.  

Write down the secondary of every team since 2000, the first year we missed the playoffs during our drought.  

Do the same for LBs, RBs, WRs, DBs, OL & DL.

Then compare them.  I think you'd be quite surprised how what we have today generally does not match up as well, again, generally.  

I'll do it if you want to discuss.  I just don't want to spend the time and get slammed about Beane by everyone out of the gate.  

But think about it, if that's true, why are we so good, at least during the regular season?  How good would we have been had we had the QBs that those coaches had?   Conversely, how good would their teams have been with Allen in them?  

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s 2-9.5-  if he hits the incentives to make 13.5, he will likely be worthy of the contract.  If he doesn’t- we can cut him after the season with not much dead cap.  Business as usual.  

it’s a one year roll of the dice in an offseason where there are very few good WR options to choose from.  I’d rather roll the dice on a one year salary midget then using a 1-3 rd pick on an unproven midget.  

I’m confidant that we’ll draft a bigger WR to add to the unit.  If we don’t, I’ll think it’s a mistake not adding one. 

I think it would be better to stick with the current midget. 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I knew that would fire people up.

Nobody is saying he is Tyreek Hill.

But I listened to Sal Capaccio and Joe D and Jeremy White do their best to hype this up, as he is a Swiss Army knife kind of player.

Joe D said something like this is a player that the Chiefs would maximize.

He’s not.

He has 700 career receiving yards.

Like the one Saints poster said, small school guys who are fast but small are a dime a dozen.

The Bills couldn’t figure out how to get James Cook or Hines or McKenzie consistent touches in the pass game. I am highly skeptical he catches any meaningful volume of passes for this team. 

He’s proven that he is a borderline NFL player/practice squader.

You knew it would fire people up because it’s a trash comment and has no relevance, because no one compared him to Hill.

it’s on Dorsey (and Allen) to use him properly.  I don’t think that has anything to do with the player.

it can be a 1 year 5M contract.  Could it be an overpay? Sure.  I’m not saying he’s a sure thing. If he was, he’d cost a lot more than what we’re paying him.  We’re paying for his potential, clearly.  If it doesn’t work out…. Beane poorly allocated 5M while trying to add speed.  

14 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

27 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Seems like we overpaid from my view 

We overpaid McGovern too and by a LOT. Why are we throwing so much money at backups? I'm starting to have serious doubts about Beane's talent evaluation.

It's about finding FA with upside rather than Roger Saffold and Star Ukelele

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think it would be better to stick with the current midget. 

I like Dirty….. but I’m over it.  If we keep him, so be it.  I’m a big fan of what this kid can do, especially in our offense.  I’ve seen what dirty can do in our O and I think Harty is better.  

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

He had two receptions last year.  Is he a special teams guy only?

I believe he was only active for 4 of their first 5 games and then was put on IR with a Turf Toe injury for balance of the year.

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/saints-place-deonte-harty-on-injured-reserve-during-a-flurry-of-saturday-transactions/article_dfa77f98-4bf8-11ed-bba0-6745bde1bc86.html

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's not.  He was supposed to be but he wasn't.  I wanted him to be that guy.

how is he not? He's 3rd  of WR and 4th overall in yards, had 5 TDs total, caught 65% of his passes (with the drops).  That's a chunk for WR3

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I like Dirty….. but I’m over it.  If we keep him, so be it.  I’m a big fan of what this kid can do, especially in our offense.  I’ve seen what dirty can do in our O and I think Harty is better.  

i hear you, but when/how did you become a big fan of this obscure player?  About 9 am?

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed as Harty's 2021 Highlights show him running digs, curls, Go routes and deep skinny posts that McKenzie doesn't.  Also have to believe with Gates' and McGovern's mobility we will see more WR screens using Harty as Saints used him for that too.  Also can run that little touch pass out of shotgun where WR comes across formation.  

So guessing Hines will do KO returns and Harty will be PR.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

I read up in the thread someone said that Harty's a slot WR.  Not true?  

I'll be honest, I don't know much about him, but what's down isn't in the least impressive.  

If he's not slot, like Hodgins, then I see him getting even fewer targets.  

We'll see.  Again, the overreactions here to a guy that hasn't even average 20 ypg in three-plus seasons is ridiculous.  

We need a slot WR more than anything.  People were talking about Harty replacing McKenzie.  Not true?  I'm just going by what people have said, here, in this thread.  I don't see him being anymore than a 5WR, and that's a lot of bucks for that.  

What is a an indisputable fact is that Harty/Harris, whatever, was on a team entirely bereft of #1 caliber WRs.  If he were that good, I suspect he'd have done better.  

🤡 thanks for outing yourself. Gotta love the combo of ignorance and arrogance. Dunno anything about the signing, unsure what position he even plays, but youre smarter than Buffalo and all the other teams that were trying to sign.  Its shocking, but not every great player was drafted in the 1st rd, had gaudy stats early, or became stars on their first team.  Yet every year teams take chances on young players with boom potential, and every year teams are rewarded for it

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I could’ve swore he was a 4.35 guy, but he actually ran a 4.48

So it’s even worse? Small, 4.48 guy, with injury history, limited numbers in a pass happy offense that gets creative, and we pay guaranteed money. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.