Possible McKenzie Replacement Bills sign Deonte Harty (formally Deonte Harris)

MAJBobby

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No.  I’m in a 15 team dynasty league.  Lots of roster spots and limited free agent pool.

Randomly watching a saints game, he made a few plays that made me think “dam!! That dude has some jets and some wiggle”.   So I picked him up and have been monitoring him since.  So yeah…. Not 9am.  Thanks for playing 

so one play 2 years ago?  and you have monitored his 2 catches since 2021?  "dynasty" indeed!

you getting "Smoke" on your 15 team roster?  1 catch, 42 yards, TD----"dam"!!

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Watch his tape. He looks like a sub 4.39 guy. 

I agree, I doubt the training staff at college were as good as they had been with the Saints, it’s very possible (and likely) that with proper training he is now a sub-4.4 guy.

Allen ran a 4.75, that kid has wheels. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, Hines KO, Harty PR sounds like the plan.  

his route tree is more advanced than most think.  He ran the deep skinny post to perfection.  That short area/stop and go explosion that he possesses is so difficult to defend on all 3 levels.  

His future in Buffalo is in the hands of Dorsey + him being healthy in the playoffs.

I don’t buy this and put his production or lack there of solely on Dorsey.

He’s a limited WR with a limited skill set.

He’s much closer to a gadget player than an actual foundational player that can be counted on game in and game out. 

The Saints and their offensive coaching staff aren’t dumb. If he was that kind of player he would have been used that way.

Regardless, as long as the Bills don’t think they’ve solved slot or solved their WR skill issue I’m fine. You can have this guy, but he’s not a real answer at WR on offense.

And I do believe as soon as McDermott designates him as a Special Teams guy, he’ll become a STer by default and have a gadget role. 

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I agree, I doubt the training staff at college were as good as they had been with the Saints, it’s very possible (and likely) that with proper training he is now a sub-4.4 guy.

Allen ran a 4.75, that kid has wheels. 

I think it’s more about the 40 speed, which obviously is very good

It’s the start stop explosion, rac ability

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

🤡 thanks for outing yourself. Gotta love the combo of ignorance and arrogance. Dunno anything about the signing, unsure what position he even plays, but youre smarter than Buffalo and all the other teams that were trying to sign.  Its shocking, but not every great player was drafted in the 1st rd, had gaudy stats early, or became stars on their first team.  Yet every year teams take chances on young players with boom potential, and every year teams are rewarded for it

Question:  who are "all the other teams that were trying to sign" Hardy?

I agree that not every great player was drafted in the first round.  Math can show this - only about 30% of players drafted in the 1st round become solid NFL players, let alone stars.  And, the observation is that while players who are drafted in the 1st 3 rounds typically show something in their 1st or 2nd year, sometimes guys who are drafted later take longer to succeed, if they're going to.

On the other hand, what are the odds that a guy who played 4 years on his first team, was only available to play for 60% of those games, and has accumulated 793 yds total in 4 yrs becomes a "great player" in his 5th year on his 2nd team?   There's a lot of space between "not every great player was drafted in the 1st round or became stars on their first team" and a guy who's played 4 years as a WR and has yet to break 1000 yds or 80 receptions.

Are there even any examples of a guy in those circs blossoming into a star at WR?

Don't get me wrong, he's a Bill now so I hope like hell this works out.  And it entirely fits Beane's MO of being willing to take a flyer on a high ceiling/low floor guy almost every year, to the tune of $3.5M or so.  But I don't think people can be blamed for some healthy skepticism and concern.

Edited by Beck Water

6 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

Bingo!!! Alott of people are failing to take that into account. Guy has speed which is what this team is severely lacking. And has a pretty full route tree as well. Let's see what Josh can do with him before we throw him away already.

We probably barely know the name "Julian Edelman" if he didn't play w/ Brady.

My own belief is that we should NOT make big investments in skill players in general going forward.  Build the line & give Allen time, and he will make stars out of whoever he has.

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No.  I’m in a 15 team dynasty league.  Lots of roster spots and limited free agent pool.

Randomly watching a saints game, he made a few plays that made me think “dam!! That dude has some jets and some wiggle”.   So I picked him up and have been monitoring him since.  So yeah…. Not 9am.  Thanks for playing 

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

so one play 2 years ago?  and you have monitored his 2 catches since 2021?  "dynasty" indeed!

you getting "Smoke" on your 15 team roster?  1 catch, 42 yards, TD----"dam"!!

This is why you’re not worth the time spent replying to.  I spend more time showing you how inept you are at comprehending what I wrote than I do talking about the Bills.  

15 teams- 22 roster spots-  endless IR spots.  Yes, I kept him and stashed him on IR.  As would have every owner in the league.   

12 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don’t buy this and put his production or lack there of solely on Dorsey.

He’s a limited WR with a limited skill set.

He’s much closer to a gadget player than an actual foundational player that can be counted on game in and game out. 

The Saints and their offensive coaching staff aren’t dumb. If he was that kind of player he would have been used that way.

Regardless, as long as the Bills don’t think they’ve solved slot or solved their WR skill issue I’m fine. You can have this guy, but he’s not a real answer at WR on offense.

And I do believe as soon as McDermott designates him as a Special Teams guy, he’ll become a STer by default and have a gadget role. 

You don’t have to.  👋🏻 

• Haha (+1) 1

I can see this thread has run its course.  Down to arguing about the usual stuff.

I'll leave this thread with my opinion that Harty has a good potential to replace McKenzie.  That's fine with me.  He didn't do it last year when

he had his chance.  Harty's cost is not crazy if he replaces McKenzie on the 53.

WRs depth right now as I see it:  Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Harty.  I so want a WR in the draft NLT the 3rd round.

McDermott HAS to give these rookies a bigger chance to play so if he does Harty at worse would be a WR4-5.

At best he could get some good WR3 time.

That would leave 1 more needed from somewhere else. 

I'll wait until all that is done before I call Beane a wizard or a wastrel.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I can see this thread has run its course.  Down to arguing about the usual stuff.

I'll leave this thread with my opinion that Harty has a good potential to replace McKenzie.  That's fine with me.  He didn't do it last year when

he had his chance.  Harty's cost is not crazy if he replaces McKenzie on the 53.

WRs depth right now as I see it:  Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Harty.  I so want a WR in the draft NLT the 3rd round.

McDermott HAS to give these rookies a bigger chance to play so if he does Harty at worse would be a WR4-5.

At best he could get some good WR3 time.

That would leave 1 more needed from somewhere else. 

I'll wait until all that is done before I call Beane a wizard or a wastrel.

I agree with you and many on here who fear Bills do not have viable 3rd Outside WR.  That is where I expect them to draft a WR as insurance in case Gabe Davis leaves after 2023 season when his contract expires.  Seems like OBD always doubles up on their bets in positions  of need - 2 TEs in Knox./Sweeney draft. 2 WRs in Davis/Hodgson draft year, 2 DEs in Basham/Epienesa draft - so imagine they may take 2 WRs again this year - one in first 2 rounds and one late.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Can we please get Josh some real weapons on offense? I’m sure he’s a fine player but the lack of production concerns me to get that kind of contract. Are we also going to address the running game?? I know we signed a guard but he’s not a mauler in the run game. Looks like are philosophy is still  running the Air Raid Josh Allen offense. Throwing it 40 plus times a game 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Surprised with all the debate over the signing.

First day on the internet?  Welcome aboard!  Grab an ashwagandha water and have a seat, someone will be right with you. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I bet he sees the field way more than expected.  His speed and explosiveness should make him the 3rd or 4th option. He's dangerous underneath and deep

We throw the ball a ton.  Theoretically, a WR4 should be a legitimate player on this team.   

That’s currently where he’s slotted, behind Diggs, Davis and likely Shakir. 

Ideally we sign/trade/draft a legit WR2 and bump everyone down a spot.  THAT would be a WR room worthy of our QB and in developing an Offensive Identity. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Actually....HE IS!  Imagine that 🙄

Based on?

Over 4 seasons played in 40 out of 66 possible games, started only 4, caught all of 64 balls for 793 yards, 8.9 avg and a whole 4 TDs?  That averages out to 10 games per season, 1 start, 1.6 catches and 19.8 per game and 1 TD a year?   

McKenzie, who is 2" taller, over the same time frame played in 61 out of 66 possible games, started 25 of them, caught 119 balls for 1137 yards, 9.6 avg, 11 TDs.   

He's a returner who plays some WR 

Edited by FlaFitz1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.