Possible McKenzie Replacement Bills sign Deonte Harty (formally Deonte Harris)

MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is a case where the absence definitely does not make the heart grow fonder. I think him missing nearly the entire year. This year with turf toe is also affecting the judgment and frustration.

This guy is Roscoe Parrish to me
Now my recollection of Roscoe was as he was practically uncoverable but he was also injured a lot

Here’s to hoping that we get Roscoe without the injuries

Parrish couldn’t run routes. He wasn’t a real WR so I hope your comparison isn’t accurate.

8 hours ago, Chugga said:

I just don’t get it.  You want someone running jet sweeps we have McKenzie and for far cheaper.  You want a threat in the return game we have Nyheim Hines and once again for much cheaper.

He won't just run jet sweeps and return kicks. He is going to be a legitimate WR in this offense. I think he'll probably end up being our starting slot WR over Shakir, or maybe in a time share with him. McKenzie is likely going to be cut.

I do wonder if keeping Hines even with a pay cut was the right move. His role now seems redundant. But that doesn't take anything away from Harty's value.

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That is incorrect
Roscoe Parrish ran routes just fine. It was his diminutive size and not being able to stay on the field that eventually did him in.

He was our #4 WR and most notably returned punts. He was injured often and then benched because he wasn’t very good.

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He was not benched because he wasn’t very good. He was hurt, and eventually they moved on from him because he couldn’t stay healthy.

I watch the games to

You took one hell of a nap through both the 2008 and 2009 seasons where he racked up a whopping 27 catches for 275 yards. He got hurt the following year.

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

He's also 5'6" 170 which means he's very small by NFL standards. 

Can you name a successful modern day WR with that size? Point being the success rate by metrics alone is very slim. We have a 4 year NFL data record  that has more questions than answers. 

Do you have confidence that Dorsey can use his skills acvordingly? Look at how they used Hines and literally refused to throw the ball to Cook. Not to mention McKenzie's skill set was under utilized. 

All this doesn't mean it's a bad move. The money is pretty cheap now that the details are out. He does fill a speed need. I get the move but I remain skeptical. 

Fairly recently? i mean he’s been out of the league for a bit but Welker was 5’8” 180 tops.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

First thing I'll say is that a lot of people you quoted there are clearly responding to the initial eye-popping numbers that were reported. We now know those numbers were agent-driven. If these posters knew he was only going to count $3.7 million against the cap I wonder if that would affect their opinion.

More importantly, one thing not mentioned in any of the negative posts is his play. It's the same negative mentioned over and over - his injury history. Everyone seems to agree that they liked him a lot as a player. The big IF is his health.

Beane is taking a swing with this signing. There's a chance he blows up and we get a highly productive slot receiver with explosive traits at an insanely good value. There's a chance he suffers a lower leg injury early in the season and never finds a consistent rhythm in the offense. The upside is high production at a low cost, the downside is a waste of $3.7 million against the cap this year and $1.4 million dead cap in 2024. I'm good with that risk/reward trade off.

Nice analysis and breakdown. 

I’m trying to make sense of this signing. My guess is they expect a bigger role for Nyheim Hines this season and want to take him off special teams. So in comes Harty. 

Could he possibly replace Mckenize? Possibly.  But then where does that leave Shakir, who I thought was impressive. The contract is puzzling to me. Seems to be a lot of money tied to a 4th string WR. Is he our answer for the slot position? Very odd signing

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Can you name a successful modern day WR with that size? Point being the success rate by metrics alone is very slim. We have a 4 year NFL data record  that has more questions than answers. 

Yeah, his size is a little worrisome. But to answer your question:

1. Wes Welker (5'9" 185)

2. DeSean Jackson (5'10" 175)

3. Steve Smith (5'9" 185)

4. Darren Sproles (5'6" 190) officially a RB

5. Trindon Holliday (5'5" 165)

Edited by chongli
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think there might be two issues here that you're mixing?  Beasley was the master of diagnosing zone coverage and choosing a short to intermediate option route that would dissect it.  Josh would throw to where he expected Beasley to be based on his own diagnosis, and trust him to be there and catch it (or at least prevent a pick).  It's very clear that Josh did not trust McKenzie in the same way, and Shakir - ah nope.  So those plays fell out of the Bills playbook.

Josh has always (including with Beasley here) had issues taking the checkdown.  These are paradoxically some of the throws that are hardest for him to make, so he tends to make a throw the receiver can't catch in stride but must go down or jump for, limiting YAC. But he also seems to hate like hell to make a quick decision to take a checkdown when he might be able to scramble around and find some chunk plays downfield.  As a result, there are plays where an open checkdown receiver is all alone and getting no attention whatsoever from the D - but by the time Josh decides nothing else is doing, the vultures have closed, also limiting YAC.   

I can only disagree with the totality of claiming "Josh has always...had issues taking the checkdown [emphasis added]." In certain stretches of 2021 and (early) 2022, Allen had the quick game swinging smoothly like a "Summer Wind." Zen Josh, with his (kinda basic) pregame Sinatra-based serenity, was an assassin. He has conquered his own tendencies for amazing stretches of football. We've seen historic play. But there are some corrections, some regressions to the mean. Often injury-related, turns out.

• Agree 2

Welker, Jackson, and Smith are much bigger than him despite being small by NFL standards.

Sproles was RB, a special breed, and an exception. 

I don't know who Holiday is. 

This guy has been in the league for four years. That's plenty of time to see if he's special and able to stay on the field. I think it's a stretch to think he will stay healthy and be solid a WR3. Perhaps an effective gadget player and special teams guy? 

This looks to be a high risk high reward pick up. Time will tell how it plays out. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Harty is most likely a replacement for Crowder not McKenzie.

I expect Dorsey to keep the slot platoon of McKenzie and now Harty instead of Crowder.

Also you can't have Harty playing full time because of his small size and is prone to injury.

So you want to limit his snaps to keep him healthy.

I think McKenzie is a goner. Last year he proved he's not a starting caliber WR. At least not with the Bills and Dorsey. He underperformed at most levels. He's nothing more than a gadget player. Thus, he's very replaceable. 

I look for Shakir to get more snaps this year. I would like the Bills to draft WR Addison or WR Flowers. I don't think either will be there at 27. 

16 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Do you have confidence that Dorsey can use his skills acvordingly? Look at how they used Hines and literally refused to throw the ball to Cook. Not to mention McKenzie's skill set was under utilized. 

All this doesn't mean it's a bad move. The money is pretty cheap now that the details are out. He does fill a speed need. I get the move but I remain skeptical. 

Beasley was 5'8" 174 so... pretty much the exact same size.  

Also, a lot of WRs are taking some notes on the Diggs and Locketts of the league and getting out of bounds... and just generally giving themselves up.  

21 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Beasley was 5'8" 174 so... pretty much the exact same size.  

Also, a lot of WRs are taking some notes on the Diggs and Locketts of the league and getting out of bounds... and just generally giving themselves up.  

That's not the same size. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.