Possible McKenzie Replacement Bills sign Deonte Harty (formally Deonte Harris)

MAJBobby

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Lil Dirty has a bonus due today but it’s only 250k, I’d be shocked if the Bills released him even though it would save them about 2.3 million. 

Depends what other irons they have in the fire at WR.   What about...

Diggs

Hardman   (Can play slot or outside)
Davis
Harty

Shakir 

Of the 57 regular-season games Hardman has played in over the course of his career, he's logged eight or more targets in six of them. In those games, he's averaged a stat line of six receptions for 72 yards and half a touchdown.

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Depends what other irons they have in the fire at WR.   What about...

Diggs

Hardman   (Can play slot or outside)
Davis
Harty

Shakir 

Of the 57 regular-season games Hardman has played in over the course of his career, he's logged eight or more targets in six of them. In those games, he's averaged a stat line of six receptions for 72 yards and half a touchdown.

I would L.O.V.E. to add Hardman but I’m getting the feeling they want to see Gabe Davis with a new WR coach. Hardman to the slot and a release of a McKenzie makes sense but does that contract they gave Harty say #2 slot? 

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I would L.O.V.E. to add Hardman but I’m getting the feeling they want to see Gabe Davis with a new WR coach. Hardman to the slot and a release of a McKenzie makes sense but does that contract they gave Harty say #2 slot? 

Beane mentioned they see Harty as lining up both outside and inside

On 3/15/2023 at 8:28 AM, Beck Water said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bills-deonte-harty-heading-to-buffalo/

Missed 13 games on IR with a toe injury last season.  I hope it's at least contingent on him passing a physical.

McKenzie is a Smurf at 5'8" 178 lb

Hardy is a SuperSmurf at 5'6" 170 lb

"The Best Ability is Availability"

Hardy has played in 14, 9, 13, and 4 games

Same stretch McKenzie has played in 15, 16, 15, and 15 games.

If the Bills intended to cut McKenzie this spring, it's surprising to me that they haven't already done it so he could be on the market during the first burst of FA.  That would be the usual courtesy to a guy who has gone hard for them: give him the maximum chance to get out there, but perhaps "things have changed"

Hardy has been most active as a KR/PR

😉 

looks like Beane isn’t very courteous.  

The addition of Harty was the end for him.  Harty can play inside and outside and is a better return man.  Their size makes them redundant imo.  

But you are right, Harty’s health is def a concern and an obstacle.  The other obstacle being Dorsey being able to implement him into the offense

22 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

I live in Houston now and I was telling a co-worker who is a Saints fan we signed Harty. Wow, he was surprised and disappointed. Gave lil fella alot of props and said that kid ball out, good pickup.

Yeah I think we got a nice little under the radar pu to replace Beasley/McK.  He looks quicker and very capable of sudden cut backs for YAC.  He's gotta stay healthy and not become a Goodwin/Parrish issue with injuries. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I am guessing he winds up with the Giants as injury insurance for Paris Campbell. Or in the slot for the Patriots (the only team McKenzie routinely killed.)

So maybe they are trying to weigh those situations as well. 

McKenzie killed Miami as well.

If I were guessing, the Bills wanted to wait until Harty passed his physical with them and signed his contract before moving on from McKenzie, which I guess happened yesterday?   I still think it's not the most courteous treatment for a guy who went hard for the Bills for 5 years, but Business is Business and Beane has to do what's best for the  Bills.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah I think we got a nice little under the radar pu to replace Beasley/McK.  He looks quicker and very capable of sudden cut backs for YAC.  He's gotta stay healthy and not become a Goodwin/Parrish issue with injuries. 

If Harty were that under the radar, we wouldn't have had to pay what we did for him.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

McKenzie killed Miami as well.

If I were guessing, the Bills wanted to wait until Harty passed his physical with them and signed his contract before moving on from McKenzie, which I guess happened yesterday?   I still think it's not the most courteous treatment for a guy who went hard for the Bills for 5 years, but Business is Business and Beane has to do what's best for the  Bills.

If Harty were that under the radar, we wouldn't have had to pay what we did for him.

He had larger offers but wanted to go to Buffalo

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, DJB said:

This is Deonte Harty

Oh man - you've gone and done it now.

You've given sound reasoning as to why Beane targeted him in Wave 1 of Free Agency, outbid others to get him, and why he more than likely feels comfortable with what he's done with the Pass Catching core this offseason already. 

The "he's an unknown" and "he's never done anything in his career" crowd around here that want to dismiss him and bury him on the depth chart at every chance they get aren't going to like that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/17/2023 at 9:15 PM, Beck Water said:

My biggest concern.  There's a reason that athletes this size don't normally make it to the pros

I think that’s doesn’t even matter at this point in his career 

sure there aren’t a lot of 5’8 170 pounders in the NFL but that’s also because there aren’t a lot of world class football athletes that size 

If you can play D1 or get to the league at that size , you’re 100% pound for pound a machine 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Oh man - you've gone and done it now.

You've given sound reasoning as to why Beane targeted him in Wave 1 of Free Agency, outbid others to get him, and why he more than likely feels comfortable with what he's done with the Pass Catching core this offseason already. 

The "he's an unknown" and "he's never done anything in his career" crowd around here that want to dismiss him and bury him on the depth chart at every chance they get aren't going to like that.

I know there were reasons that Beane targeted him. 

The problem Harty has had is staying healthy.  He's never had a full season.  He spent most of last season on IR with turf toe.  He's had repeated problems with tweaked hamstrings.  His ceiling is high, but he's by no means a sure contributor.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

sure there aren’t a lot of 5’8 170 pounders in the NFL but that’s also because there aren’t a lot of world class football athletes that size 

If you can play D1 or get to the league at that size , you’re 100% pound for pound a machine 

So Harty didn't play D1.  Assumption College, that's DII, correct?

He did get to the league, and make it onto the field as an offensive player for 13 games in 2021.  Also led the league in returns his rook year.

He can ball, no doubt.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Jeremy White brought up a good point when we signed him.  He said for him to be that small and for an NFL team to hold a roster spot for him, you have to do something special.  He has that.  He just can't stay healthy.  If he does, I predict he will become the greatest receiver of all time and be on the cover of Madden 2 years in a row.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Jeremy White brought up a good point when we signed him.  He said for him to be that small and for an NFL team to hold a roster spot for him, you have to do something special.  He has that.  He just can't stay healthy.  If he does, I predict he will become the greatest receiver of all time and be on the cover of Madden 2 years in a row.  

It will depend on how he is targeted.  If he is like Beasley who was constantly catching balls in traffic he will be a very expensive $5M toy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.