At what sports event did you have your worst experience?

Another Fan

For me it was a Mets game in September 2003.   My grandmother was dying in a nearby Flushing hospital.  They only let so many visitors in the facility at once so my dad and I went to a Met game that day.

Despite being just 5 minutes away we didn’t get in the stadium until the 3rd inning because of US Open tennis traffic.  The game was horrible on its own.  It was against the Phillies and the Mets didn’t get a hit until the 7th inning.  Just a lifeless Art Howe Mets team effort.  They lost like 5-1.  What made it even worse was Jose Reyes injured himself on the last play of the game.  At that time he was the only reason to watch the games for future hope.

Yeah an awful game and an awful time in my life.  My grandmother passed not that much later and I practically failed out of college that semester.  

End sob story 

• Sad 1

Nothing that compares to your experience but prob the Bills Bengals games this year. Experience in Cincy before the Hamlin incident was poor at best. The game here I spent a lot on tickets, wasn't really feeling going, the energy at the stadium was very low for the type of game.  Bengals fans were loud and ready and I didn't want to deal with their fans again. 

Bills @ Cardinals game.  Oct 5, 2008 — Buffalo Bills quarterback Trent Edwards went down with a concussion on the third play of the game against the Arizona Cardinals.

I was working in Seal Beach, California for a month so free rental car and gas so I went to game using a "good deal" I got from a fan at a Bills Backer bar I was going to when I was working there.  Seemed to me to a lot longer drive than normally is for that distance.  I got to the place people we meeting at and very crowded. I went to use bathroom and my seat was taken for someone who told waitress I left.  When she spotted me I stated I was not leaving and I barely had a sip from my drink and she told me to was thrown away and bar rule is no replacement drink.  I paid for it and left but left little tip with a note on bill saying why.  She complained and I told her to get it from person who took my seat and told you I left.

Went in game and when I got to seat I found out it was under an overhang blocking half of view and there was a girder directly in front of my seat blocking my obstructed view.  There were TV sets but I could not see them well.  After first quarter and multiple complaints about me trying to look around girder left and went seat hopping try to find a seat to sit in which was unoccupied when person was getting a drink, etc. and while some were understanding others were not and one poured a soda on me while I was trying to get up.   

At half time I went back to my seat to just rest since I was climbing stairs a lot and my seat was taken by someone who used it put their gear.  I asked him to move it and he refused saying he bought two seats and he was not giving it up.  I showed him my ticket stub and he still refused saying I must have bought a fraudulent ticket.  I said I was sitting in this seat first quarter and he just ignored me.  I found an usher, told him someone else was using my seat and could he find me another one unoccupied and he said no, checked ticket and said it was valid but he would speak to seater.  Seater claimed he was season ticket holder and these were his seats. Usher asked for his tickets and he said it got wet in bathroom and he threw it away.  Usher told him to give up seat and walked away.  Guy picked up his stuff and then accidently spilled his drink and nacho sauce on seat saying 'Sorry it slipped'.  I went to look for usher but he was gone and was not going to through it again.

During third quarter I just went to standing area to watch game finally deciding to leave at end of third quarter.

Went to parking area and when I tried to leave they said my parking ticket was invalid.  I paid via credit card and showed receipt and they said "That is not us, you must have parked before we were open" but the same sign was there as when I parked minus "early bird" deal.  They were charging significantly more and required cash.  I paid and stated I want a receipt and person said they were out.  Used camera to take picture of person with complaint that is not allowed and I told him call a cop or take my money, your choice.  Either way the picture will be sent to owner of lot and company on credit card receipt.  He hesitated in lifting barrier but I told him I would not give him the money until he lifted it.  He lifted it and I paid him while taking picture of sign as well.   Eventually I would get credit charge refunded via American Express but was told that the company had no idea who person in picture was.  So much for the good deal on parking I was told about.

I was a little ahead of traffic leaving stadium and got on interstate to California.   Traffic was terrible with one lane going 80 miles an hour and other with trucks going 40.  Not comfortable that much over speed limit driving extended distance in company rental car with out of state plates so I went from driving behind trucks to driving in left lane when there were large gaps.  When sun came down and windmills on horizon it made me sleepy so when I got out of metropolitan area  I stopped at a rest area, set alarm and napped until it was dark and went back to my hotel.

• Sad 1

Home opener 2015. Bills-Colts. Tyrod's first game.

Everyone was very excited. Sexy Rexy in the building, shiny new quarterback, the works.

Then it rained. Ok whatever it's football in September can't complain too much.

But then there was this guy a few seats down from me. Obviously and obnoxiously intoxicated. His friends clearly embarrassed at how sloppy he was. Kept screaming epithets at Tyrod whenever he took the field. Not racial epithets, mind you. But ones for vertically challenged folks. Which was odd because the guy himself was maybe 5'6" in his air maxes. 

Anyway last play of the first quarter comes...BOOM Tyrod throws a beautiful bomb to Percy Harvin for the 50 yard TD. Place goes nuts. I go "now shut the ***** UP you goddamn m*dg*t" and he sits in his little puddle of bud lite and rainwater sulking. I think after the Bills went up 24-0 he stumbled off somewhere to puke. Was mumbling something about how real men with height like Lenny Kravitz (???) should play QB. 

I hope you all enjoy the story of how I met @Gugny

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Oklahoma State v Oklahoma - 2013 - Stillwater 

OSU came into the game, just a year removed from the Big XII title and Fiesta Bowl BCS win (should have played LSU in the National Championship game, not Andrew Luck and Stanford). OSU ranked 6th, OU 18th. The game is for the Big XII Championship. 

The Cowboys are up 24-20 with about 1:51 to play. OU had the ball... and on an OU pass, cornerback Justin Gilbert for OSU intercepted the ball. Caught it in the air, was flipped onto his head and hit the ground with his elbow... ball in his arms. Ball popped out and the officials called it incomplete. Blake Bell (yea, the backup TE for Kansas City) managed to drive down the field and scored with a few seconds to play to give OU the win. 

It was a HUGE roller coaster game... earthquake in the 2nd quarter (during an OSU FG attempt, which he actually made), the back and forth and then what I "thought" was a game winning interception. I'll never forget my 11-year old little girl jumping into my arms out of pure joy of watching her first Bedlam football win only to see her crying at the end of the game. 

It. Sucked. 

October 2016.  Buffalo @ Miami.  The wife and I went down and stayed with some friends in West Palm and went to the game.  I forget the specifics, but it was a sloppy loss to a particularly bad Miami team.  The Dolphins fans were the absolute worst “away” fans I have ever experienced.  Constant harassment throughout the game, and there were quite a few Bills fans there.

After the game, we were walking to the car and some a-hole randomly ran up and punched my friend’s wife right in the face and then sprinted away.  There was security like 30 yards away that witnessed the incident and did absolutely nothing.  It was such a helpless, horrible feeling.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Nothing that compares to your experience but prob the Bills Bengals games this year. Experience in Cincy before the Hamlin incident was poor at best. The game here I spent a lot on tickets, wasn't really feeling going, the energy at the stadium was very low for the type of game.  Bengals fans were loud and ready and I didn't want to deal with their fans again. 

You can lose the battle and still win the war.

Yeah... The Bills shut it down for the season.  Bummer they had to do it the way they did... But rest up, get over the trauma and try again next year. 

As a fan, and pro-worker... I still think their long term well-being is more important than my $$$$s... Even know they are getting rich beyond all our wildest dreams with those dollars. 

ANYway... For me... It's June 1999, "NoGoal."

My mother passed away that February after succumbing to almost a decade's battle with ovarian cancer... @ 58 year's old. That February when back home right after her passing... Remember Sabres playing the Habs. Sabres would have won in last few seconds on a goal... But Miro's (Satan) skate lace was in crease! It went to OT I believe... I forget... Anyway, that was the first time I heard of the in-crease rule.

FFWD 》》... To June... I was so sure the NHL would overturn Hull's certain no-goal. What a joke... The flood of our mother's passing came all back in the early morning hours of that day in June... ***** the NHL and the Dallas Stars... I hope some day Sabres stick it to that sham of a bush league!

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

October 2016.  Buffalo @ Miami.  The wife and I went down and stayed with some friends in West Palm and went to the game.  I forget the specifics, but it was a sloppy loss to a particularly bad Miami team.  The Dolphins fans were the absolute worst “away” fans I have ever experienced.  Constant harassment throughout the game, and there were quite a few Bills fans there.

After the game, we were walking to the car and some a-hole randomly ran up and punched my friend’s wife right in the face and then sprinted away.  There was security like 30 yards away that witnessed the incident and did absolutely nothing.  It was such a helpless, horrible feeling.

We were there for this season's debacle in the heat... Biggest sea of humanity we walked in since prior to Pandemic.  Been to Miam a handful or more times... Never seemed to have an issue there!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We went to a UT/LSU game in Baton Rouge.  Busload of Vols fans went together from New Orleans to the game.  There were some older folk in the group including Blue haired old ladies wearing orange -u can see it, right?  As we're leaving the bus a bunch of punk LSU student started verbally harassing everyone on the bus.  A big guy (LSU fan filing into the game- prolly in his 30's) gave em what for and it stopped.  started again tho when the UT marching band went by.  and I'm not even a Vols fan.

Edited by redtail hawk

Bills Steelers game in 04...went with some buddies and sat in the scoreboard end zone area surrounded by Steelers fans getting whacked in the face by terrible towels every time Pittsburgh scored.  Just an absolute miserable experience...the sad part is we went into that game thinking the Bills were going to win and break the playoff drought and we would be running onto the field recreating an atmosphere like the one in my avatar.  

I was at Giants Stadium for this one. Fights all over the place. This was the game that stopped alcohol sales at halftime.

4. Oct. 17, 1988 ­— Bills 37, Jets 14

The “Pumpkin Game” featured 41 incidents of improper behavior in the stands, 15 arrests and 56 ejections. Fans burned complimentary paper hats in the stands and batted around an inflated pumpkin. This game led to the stadium halting beer sales after halftime during night games.

• Like (+1) 1

For me, it was a football game I played in when I was a young teen. I was a DT and the coaches always drilled it into us that if we see a loose ball, don't try to scoop it up, just fall on it and let the offense take over. During a passing play, I got past the blocker and had a clear shot at the QB. I knocked the ball out of his arm and saw open field between me and the end zone. But I heard the coach yelling, "Fall on it, Tom, just fall on it!" So I did. 

The offense proceeded to go three and out, we lost the game by less than one score, and I had blown my shot at a strip-sack-TD return.

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeviF said:

Home opener 2015. Bills-Colts. Tyrod's first game.

Everyone was very excited. Sexy Rexy in the building, shiny new quarterback, the works.

Then it rained. Ok whatever it's football in September can't complain too much.

But then there was this guy a few seats down from me. Obviously and obnoxiously intoxicated. His friends clearly embarrassed at how sloppy he was. Kept screaming epithets at Tyrod whenever he took the field. Not racial epithets, mind you. But ones for vertically challenged folks. Which was odd because the guy himself was maybe 5'6" in his air maxes. 

Anyway last play of the first quarter comes...BOOM Tyrod throws a beautiful bomb to Percy Harvin for the 50 yard TD. Place goes nuts. I go "now shut the ***** UP you goddamn m*dg*t" and he sits in his little puddle of bud lite and rainwater sulking. I think after the Bills went up 24-0 he stumbled off somewhere to puke. Was mumbling something about how real men with height like Lenny Kravitz (???) should play QB. 

I hope you all enjoy the story of how I met @Gugny

I was about to ask what poster on this board it was for there are a lot of clones here.

I'd believe you on @Gugny it was a baseball game.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I was about to ask what poster on this board it was for there are a lot of clones here.

I'd believe you on @Gugny it was a baseball game.

Gugny will vouch. The story is embellished in key places for effect but it is him. 

• Agree 1

Saw the Bills play Lynn Dickey and the Packers at Milwaukee County Stadium in the early 80s. Cold and rainy day. The grass baseball field was a mud pit. The Bills fumbled on their first two possessions that led to Packers TDs. A one sided game that was miserable to sit through.

19 hours ago, Gregg said:

I was at Giants Stadium for this one. Fights all over the place. This was the game that stopped alcohol sales at halftime.

4. Oct. 17, 1988 ­— Bills 37, Jets 14

The “Pumpkin Game” featured 41 incidents of improper behavior in the stands, 15 arrests and 56 ejections. Fans burned complimentary paper hats in the stands and batted around an inflated pumpkin. This game led to the stadium halting beer sales after halftime during night games.

Remember that game well, watching on TV.

NYC is, on one hand, the greatest city in the world.  On the other, it's just a giant sewer pit.

• Like (+1) 1

Thinking about it again... I have to change my answer to two possible dates, both tragic days. 

Jan 27, 2001: Oklahoma State basketball played in Boulder, Colorado against the Buffaloes. The game ended and the team took 3 charter planes back to Stillwater. One didn't make it back. It took the lives of 10 staff members, players and coaches. Shook the OSU community to it's core and still has a huge effect on the school and even state. Team managed to make it to the NCAA tournament that season after what happened.

Nov 18, 2011: Oklahoma State v Iowa State football in Ames, IA. The day before, another Oklahoma State plane went down, killing the girls head basketball coach and lead assistant (along with the pilot and his wife). In Stillwater, the kids who are athletes... they are all close. Mens basketball, football hung out with the womens sports. Mainly basketball. OSU went to Ames undefeated (10-0), ranked 2nd in the country and Brandon Weeden was the lead for the Heisman. Two wins away from the BCS Championship game. The Pokes were up early, but it slipped away. Lost in OT. Justin Blackmon (who I know his family really well) said that the entire team just walked through the game. No emotion, almost played depressed. 

The game cost OSU the National Title shot (we would have won) and changed college football into what we have today (CFP). 

I don't do a lot of sports events...some not-so-niceness at some Bills games but nothing terrible. Drunks are part of life.

But when I was a kid we went to a charity donkey-basketball game at out local high school. One of the riders/players had a heart attack and died right on the court. Didn't know that I had watched a guy die until we got the newspaper the next day.

holy cow this thread has some dark stuff. My worst game experience seems minor in comparison.

I was attending a Chargers-Bills game at Jack Murphy stadium 9-6-1998. The 4 of us at our kids first Bills game  ages 8 and 10.

We wore Bills gear and were heckled  in our seats by this chargers  jackhole who had written on the back of the freebie giveaway poster

"BILLS FANS SUCK". And commenced to walk back and forth  in front of our family and other Bills fans  and talkin chit. In front of my kids bro?

AWW HELL NAW

The aftermath was he was ejected by security, And the Bills lost the game. Tailgate was fun. 

Edited by muppy

Colts game  2021.

Technical issues -Only time I ever used the phone option for tickets.  Total disaster. Got through the line 15 minutes  before game,  couldn't get tickets to load.  One of the staff tried to help,  finally got to my seats with 2 minutes left in the first quarter.  

Weather issues-didn't rain pre game,  opted for not wearing rain pants. Don't think they would have helped much, 40 and raining all game 

Game itself-we got blown out 

• Sad 1

I was a kid, maybe 5th grade. We had season tickets at the Rockpile under the (leaky) roof. It was a rainy day, so my dad had his friends with end-zone seats swap tickets, and there I was with my friend Andy in the end zone. On a rainy day. When they still allowed umbrellas in the seats ahead of you. The game against the Chiefs was almost impossible to see, but you knew when they kicked a FG or an extra point, because this was before the nets caught the balls. A free-for-all would ensue every time. The 2 sober 10 year olds had no hopes of getting a ball. Ever. We just hoped to survive! 

Then it was over, and we stopped at the restroom on the way out. Leaving the restroom a GIANT MAN (to a 10 year old) stole Andy’s souvenir program from under his arms. Just ripped it away with a “what are YOU going to do” look about him. 

And you know what? I smiled as I typed all that. That’s a very fond memory.   🤷‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...

I went to an ice hockey game once in Prague. Never again.

In 2004 I went to Baku, Azerbaijan to watch the England soccer team. The under 21s had played the night before in glorious, warm sunshine. As I was going just for the day I decided to dress/travel light. Jeans and a light sweater would suffice. Passport, phone, cash and match ticket in pockets. 

Landed in Baku around 9am and it was hammering down with rain and the temperature had dropped remarkably. I also started to feel like absolute sh!t. My mates went off to find whatever there was to do in Baku at that time while I booked myself into the first hotel I cam across and slept all day. When I woke in time for the game the weather hadn't improved and there was also a risk the game could be postponed. All the way to Azerbaijan for nothing was a possibility. However, the game went ahead but conditions were absolutely rank. I was freezing cold and soaked. By half time the Azerbaijani police had realised they weren't going to be called into action and began starting fires in big metal barrels behind the stand. I spent 45 minutes huddled up with them trying to get warm and having conversations in a language neither party had any clue about. Towards the end we started singing Queen songs as most of the policemen looked like Freddie Mercury. 

England won 1-0 but that's all I can remember. Back to the airport straight after the game. The flight home was very uncomfortable. It was probably the only time I've not enjoyed a trip/day out to another country. 

I went to a pre-season Golden State Warriors game in like 2004 (Before the Warriors were good). It was an absolute joke. During pre-game introductions, one of the players, no idea who, grabbed the mic and thanked the fans for buying tickets so he could buy more gold chains. The basketball was dreadful. I left with about 5 minutes to go before the half. 

I was at an Oakland A's, Yankees game in 2003. We were all behaving ourselves. Then in the 9th inning, a rogue security guard comes from another section and starts yelling at all us A's fans to sit down. Those who argued got physically shoved by this guy, including my ex who was holding my 5-month-old daughter. Of course, I went nuts. I got face-to-face with this security guard. The lead guard in our section who went by Icebox (he was that big), came over, and calmly said "Ken, don't do anything, because I would have to do my job and arrest you". I said some choice words to this idiot and backed away. Everyone in our section contacted the A's front office, and they first said "security cameras weren't working for that game". We pressed harder, and all of a sudden this security guard was arrested on multiple charges of assault. But the A's weren't interested in pursuing this at all. All of our collective loud and annoying voices got them to take action. 

Oh by far HSBC Arena to see hockey. If there's one thing the Buffalo Sabres organization hates, it's fans of the sport. They want people to behave like it's study hall and sit quietly, and only cheer at corporately approved intervals. I'm pissed I gave the puck I caught to a random kid when an usher asked just to get yelled at by those red vested ass clowns for calling out the play, during play (no profanity!).

Fun fact: they haven't sniffed the playoffs since then. Good.

image.png.275971a1dd35a1bcd2de0b6aa1e63bc7.png

Edited by Ralonzo

Orioles fan.  Went to game vs. Red Sox this past season.  Had great seats right behind home plate - didn't pay Yankee stadium prices, but they weren't cheap.  It was a 4:00 game, and a couple 20 something guys show up and can tell they had been on golf course and soon after was evident they had been drinking all day.  They were Orioles fans also and one of them was just screaming nonsense the whole game.  Finally in about the 6th inning, he said something that caused my 21 year old to snap and tell him "would you just shut the f up" and we just kept going at it the remainder of our time in the seats.  He was insulting everything about us including my sunglasses and my orioles hat - which was just a normal hat.  We finally had enough and watched the last 2 innings from another section.  

I kept my eye on him from a couple of sections away and am happy to report that he obviously had pissed enough people off that he was being visited by Baltimore's finest in the 9th inning.  The O's lost, I spend $300+ on tickets and my ears hurt from his nonsense.  

I did email the Orioles after the game and they gave me 4 free tickets to another game later in the season that we went to and enjoyed.  But it was the first time I'd ever gotten into it with a fan of the team I was rooting for.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.