Don't think "WR2" in the upcoming draft. Think WR1.

Roundybout

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

My hope is 3 OL & 1 WR in the first 4 rounds. What order doesn't really matter as long as we get great value.  And yes very soon we're going to have to target a 1st rounder to transition into Stefon's spot.

agree.  Try to find day 1 impact contributors.  In my recent mock, there were zero day 1 guys, but RB Robinson was there.  So i took him.  Make this offense hard to defend by giving JA the most tools you can.  (I then took OT in the 2nd) 

I completely agree that the Bills should be thinking about their future WR1.

Currently, I am not sold on any of the draft-eligible WRs as being capable of dominating in the way a WR1 should.

There are some intriguing guys. Like Addison, for example, who has shown the ability to fit into multiple offensive schemes and to have great seasons with minimal “learning curves”. That is very attractive. He also appears to have an excellent feel for off-schedule plays, making him a great match for Josh. He has a very smooth way of running. So smooth is his running, that I find a nagging suspicion in my mind that he may lack the suddenness and/or speed to win consistently at the next level (same feel as JSN). Really want to see the measurements and speed / agility times from a whole host of these receivers.

I guess what I am saying is that, if the Bills are to use their first round draft choice on the best player available (hopefully best offensive player available), it may not be a WR. It may very well be an RB, should Bijan still be there. He may be the best shot at a talent projected to be truly elite. I have come to grips with the idea of yet another premium pick used on a now non-premium position because the dude could very well be the real deal.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

There is a lot of talk about drafting a WR2 to slot between Diggs at WR1 and Davis at WR3. This would be accomplished by taking a WR in the later rounds while we focus on offensive line in round 1 (which is a good idea too). 

I think we have the right idea, but wrong goal. We don't need a WR2, we need to draft a new bonafide WR1 in the first or second round.

Diggs is pushing 30. It's time to start thinking about a contingency plan for when he retires. A new WR1 would allow Diggs to effectively be "WR1b" and allow him to tutor the new rookie. It would give Josh two stud weapons and open the door for Davis to wreak havoc downfield where he's shined, and for Shakir to work on a slot role. 

Get me Rashee Rice or Quentin Johnson, who I think is going to be an absolute star. Hell, Kayshon Boutte is a star already at LSU. Get him starting right away and watch as it's like Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle, or Davante Adams and Jordy Nelson. We would make sure that the cupboard is stocked for Josh. 

Don't think small with someone to pair with Diggs. Think of someone who can contribute NOW and succeed Diggs. 

I agree and disagree. I agree we need a future #1 Wr I disagree that Wr is available in this draft. This class of Wrs is brutally bad in my opinion and we should draft to rebuild the Oline with a much better class of prospects at that position. Kick the can to 2024 draft for that Wr we’re there’s much better players. 

Beane has to be careful no more blowing picks he needs to know where the strength is in the draft and follow suit because u blow this Pk your in a awkward position going into the next draft where now u can’t take a WR again . It’s kind of like the dog chasing his tail analogy . 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

There is a lot of talk about drafting a WR2 to slot between Diggs at WR1 and Davis at WR3. This would be accomplished by taking a WR in the later rounds while we focus on offensive line in round 1 (which is a good idea too). 

I think we have the right idea, but wrong goal. We don't need a WR2, we need to draft a new bonafide WR1 in the first or second round.

Diggs is pushing 30. It's time to start thinking about a contingency plan for when he retires. A new WR1 would allow Diggs to effectively be "WR1b" and allow him to tutor the new rookie. It would give Josh two stud weapons and open the door for Davis to wreak havoc downfield where he's shined, and for Shakir to work on a slot role. 

Get me Rashee Rice or Quentin Johnson, who I think is going to be an absolute star. Hell, Kayshon Boutte is a star already at LSU. Get him starting right away and watch as it's like Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle, or Davante Adams and Jordy Nelson. We would make sure that the cupboard is stocked for Josh. 

Don't think small with someone to pair with Diggs. Think of someone who can contribute NOW and succeed Diggs. 

This makes absolute sense.   But as much as we need another good receiver, we need OL help even more.  It would be great to successfully address both needs but resources are limited.

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Some disagree with your assessment on Robinson. 

No there is nothing on that vague chart that disagrees with my take...........which is that he lacks true breakaway speed.........which he would need to be a "complete" stud at RB.

Very good player but still just a RB.

47 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I agree and disagree. I agree we need a future #1 Wr I disagree that Wr is available in this draft. This class of Wrs is brutally bad in my opinion and we should draft to rebuild the Oline with a much better class of prospects at that position. Kick the can to 2024 draft for that Wr we’re there’s much better players. 

Beane has to be careful no more blowing picks he needs to know where the strength is in the draft and follow suit because u blow this Pk your in a awkward position going into the next draft where now u can’t take a WR again . It’s kind of like the dog chasing his tail analogy . 

Nobody wants to hear this. They then fall into the trap of comparing prospects in a given draft to each other, rather than against the existing pool of NFL players. Even if you draft the top ranked WR in this class he is probably at most a WR2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Garrett Wilson has claimed JSN is better than either him or Chris Olave multiple times and was just asked before the SB if he still thinks that is the case and he said "I stand on it".  Says they called him "The Natural" because he makes everything look so easy.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Roundybout said:

The Bills should be in win now mode still with the roster. And replacing Diggs will have to eventually happen. Having both is only a plus. I would have loved to see Hodgins performance in this offense with Diggs & Davis. 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is a weaker draft than the past few years at the WR position though. 

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Garrett Wilson has claimed JSN is better than either him or Chris Olave multiple times and was just asked before the SB if he still thinks that is the case and he said "I stand on it".  Says they called him "The Natural" because he makes everything look so easy.

I really want Addison the most this draft but JSN is extremely intriguing too and I would be thrilled with him too. OL seems to be deeper in this draft than Wr so I’ve been hoping for WR in round 1 and specifically one of these two options… which means beane will likely go safety or some rotational DE lol

Honestly though I’d give up whatever it takes to get Marvin Harrison Jr next year 

• Like (+1) 1

100% agree. 

And he's come up small in some of our Playoff games. 

Buffalo has always had a one-deep mentality. 

Listen, our QB isn't as good as Mahomes, and our Coach isn't Andy Reid. Which means, you're going to need as much talent around him to compensate for that gap as possible. 

Love Diggs, but we knew this when we traded for him. He was 26/27, not 21 like Jefferson. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Maybe it's time to start thinking about trading Diggs? He ia likely to become a locker room problem.

Get the rookie number WR1 via draft on the cheap. Take the other draft choices and bolster the oline.

Let Edmunds and Poyer walk. Load up on the offense. 

This current team can't win it all. That's the goal so its time to go in a new direction. We fans just can't be happy with playoff appearances.

Any thoughts? 

I wouldn't trade him, just do what you say 2 lines later: load up the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Maybe it's time to start thinking about trading Diggs? He ia likely to become a locker room problem.

Get the rookie number WR1 via draft on the cheap. Take the other draft choices and bolster the oline.

Let Edmunds and Poyer walk. Load up on the offense. 

This current team can't win it all. That's the goal so its time to go in a new direction. We fans just can't be happy with playoff appearances.

Any thoughts? 

You cannot trade Diggs, his extension won't even kick in until next year and you would have a huge amount of dead cap over the next 4+ years(or 2 years depending on which site you believe). Then have to replace 100 catches and 1500 yards.  How does this even make ANY logical sense to you for you to post it? If anything could potentially make negative sense, this would be it.

So create a massive roster hole, eat up more cap space that you already don't have enough of, and "hope" you find something remotely close to him. Yeah, no thanks.

Thank God you aren't the GM.

image.thumb.png.865bb9a61e66cc09033c485cf66ccaaa.png image.thumb.png.8c850f9f934f922f784bfd161cd01ab0.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You cannot trade Diggs, his extension won't even kick in until next year and you would have a huge amount of dead cap over the next 4+ years(or 2 years depending on which site you believe). Then have to replace 100 catches and 1500 yards.  How does this even make ANY logical sense to you for you to post it? If anything could potentially make negative sense, this would be it.

So create a massive roster hole, eat up more cap space that you already don't have enough of, and "hope" you find something remotely close to him. Yeah, no thanks.

image.thumb.png.865bb9a61e66cc09033c485cf66ccaaa.png image.thumb.png.8c850f9f934f922f784bfd161cd01ab0.png

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the cap issues. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you can buy a superstar running back in free agency for about $11 or $12 million a year, why use a first rounder on a back?

Use free agency for less expensive positions; use the draft for premium-pay positions. It's simple economics.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s rare I have time after 5 am to chat on a weekday, but I’m sitting waiting for a doc so I couldn’t agree more Gesecki is the TE  erosion of Hyde and Poyer where they weren’t used properly by their former teams.  They shined here.

If they convert Diggs and Allen good portion of their salary to signing bonus we should not only be under the cap, but should be able to afford a TE.  They don’t get paid nearly what a top WR would get paid.  These two are just big and fast WR’s.  

Gesicki can't play tight end. He is a big slot receiver. 

28 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah, I had a nice chuckle at the posts saying we should trade Diggs because of the spat with Josh in the Cincy game.  

Just an absolutely ridiculous proposal that makes neither football nor financial sense.

On 2/14/2023 at 5:50 PM, NastyNateSoldiers said:

The worst WR draft since 2016 IMO. I'd take Addison if he made it to the Bills. I don't think he is great, or a conventional #1 but he can do a bit of everything. Not sure I'd be mad on any of the others. If you put last year's class and this year's class together, Addison is WR5, Johnson is WR7, nobody else from this year currently has a grade that would get him into my top 10. 

Would be 1. Olave; 2. Williams; 3. Burks; 4. Wilson; 5. Addison; 6. London; 7. Johnston; 8. Watson; 9. Dotson; 10. Pickens. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We say things like this all the time. 

This is a good class for this, this a good class for that. 

But this boils down to 2-3 guys usually. 

2014 is supposed to be paramount example - Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks, Adams. 

Evans is the man, 9 straight years of 1,000+ yards and Adams. 

Otherwise, Watkins was a bust, Beckham was good for 4 years, Cooks can't settle on a team although he has been productive. 

So if that was the Mount Rushmore of WR classes, then you're most likely not getting more than 2-3 WR1's in any class anyways. 

But is it logical to avoid

Johnston

Smith-Ngijba

Addison

Flowers

Hyatt

Downs 

Dell

And say they're not good enough?

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We need both simultaneously.  Someone to Start grooming for Diggs and maybe Davis in a couple years. Get them both on rookie deals asap. I'm not saying we'll be able to get them both this April but we need at least 1 and draft the other next year.

They should take a WR somewhere in the first two days. But this is not a great draft. You can't just force one because you need one. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The worst WR draft since 2016 IMO. I'd take Addison if he made it to the Bills. I don't think he is great, or a conventional #1 but he can do a bit of everything. Not sure I'd be mad on any of the others. If you put last year's class and this year's class together, Addison is WR5, Johnson is WR7, nobody else from this year currently has a grade that would get him into my top 10. 

Would be 1. Olave; 2. Williams; 3. Burks; 4. Wilson; 5. Addison; 6. London; 7. Johnson; 8. Watson; 9. Dotson; 10. Pickens. 

All I know is I'd have my WR scouts working OT this spring. We can't afford any busts.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We say things like this all the time. 

This is a good class for this, this a good class for that. 

But this usually boils down to 2-3 guys usually. 

2014 is supposed to be paramount example - Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks, Adams. 

Evans is the man, 9 straight years of 1,000+ yards and Adams. 

Otherwise, Watkins was a bust, Beckham was good for 4 years, Cooks can't settle on a team although he has been productive. 

Plus Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson.... the first two rounds of that draft were stacked with talent. About 50% of them paid off. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Plus Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson.... the first two rounds of that draft were stacked with talent. About 50% of them paid off. 

Allen Robinson was awesome, until the torn ACL, now he's done. 

And Landry? He was a target-vacuum, but he's slow and that caught up to him as he was wasted in Cleveland. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Would be 1. Olave; 2. Williams; 3. Burks; 4. Wilson; 5. Addison; 6. London; 7. Johnson; 8. Watson; 9. Dotson; 10. Pickens. 

I assume you are talking about the 1st round in this scenario, but if that were to happen and Addison does make it to Bills, if an OL player is also there that is one of the better ones I wonder which way they go

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I assume you are talking about the 1st round in this scenario, but if that were to happen and Addison does make it to Bills, if an OL player is also there that is one of the better ones I wonder which way they go

My biggest fear is, if you wait until Round 2, at #59 your out of the elite trait WRs if Johnston, Addison, Smith-Ngijba, Flowers, Downs, Hyatt, Dell are all gone. 

Then you're into the Iowa State WRs, Marvin Mims, Cedrick Tillman, R. Rice. 

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don’t even know if I would put Addison with these guys. I loved Calvin Austin lll last yr he didn’t play for the Steelers but I believe he’s the reason they traded away Claypool. 

13 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

My biggest fear is, if you wait until Round 2, at #59 your out of the elite trait WRs if Johnston, Addison, Smith-Ngijba, Flowers, Downs, Hyatt, Dell are all gone. 

Then you're into the Iowa State WRs, Marvin Mims, Cedrick Tillman, R. Rice. 

If looking at it that way,Wouldn't you say the same about OL. 

29 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I don’t even know if I would put Addison with these guys. I loved Calvin Austin lll last yr he didn’t play for the Steelers but I believe he’s the reason they traded away Claypool. 

He is higher floor than the guys I have him ahead of. I am not sure his ceiling is as high but in the right scheme Addison is a pretty safe bet. 

Austin is no more than a gimmick guy IMO.

I'm not thinking about it in terms of WR1 of WR2. I'm thinking about it in terms of getting a skill set that we currently don't have on the roster. The less athletic route running specialists like Addison and JSN don't do it for me. That's what Diggs does for us. I want to take a swing at a WR with explosive traits. Someone that can out run everyone else on the field after catching the ball on short routes, or running to the ball on deep routes. To me that makes Jalin Hyatt the only WR that I'm interested in at pick 27, in fact I would pick him there pretty much no matter what. If he isn't there I would take the best OL available or trade down before selecting the best WR available.

Top 5 NFL offense averaging over 30pts a week for 3 years now.   Laid a 10 pt egg at home vs Bengals, is everyone now saying that the primary reason was our receivers weren't skilled enough to get separation?   Because from my perspective our guards and tackles were the ones who weren't skilled enough to stop the Bengals average Dline in pass pro AND run game, and our Dline sorely missed DaQuon and an impactful edge rusher.   That and our QB had some issues seeing the underneath stuff.

Our receivers are just as good as either team that played in the Superbowl.  They each had one stud in Kelce and AJ but that's about it.   The Bengals have the best trio of pass catchers in the league and they got held to 20 by a mediocre KC defense because they couldn't win the trench battle.

Its all about the big boy play.  Keep adding to the trenches, get big nasty agile athletes in there.  The fact that we've been doing that with limited success in recent years is all the more reason to keep at it until we get it right.

• Disagree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.