SB LVll Game Thread: Eagles VS Chiefs

T&C

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I can totally see Mahomes challenging Brady's record. 

KC is a phenomenal team. Mahomes is virtually unstoppable. 

Congrats to KC and their fans. 

Newcam.. my man.

Mahomes could challenge Brady, but he won’t get there. 

KC is a very good team, but beatable for sure. Mahomes is absolutely not unstoppable.

(I offer zero congrats to KC or their fans.)

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

So is it cheating the other times in the game they don't call it?  

If a referee is nothing else, the one thing they have to be is consistent.  If they aren't, it destroys people's belief in their impartiality.

If you don't call it all night, there's no way you call that one as weak as it was, on a 3rd down,which literally ended the game.

True... Like I said I didn't love it but I'm also not going to say that it decided the game.

KC scored on every single drive after halftime.

12 minutes ago, Governor said:

We could’ve drafted Bolton. We already knew Edmunds stunk and we hadn’t paid Milano yet. We screwed up. He was all over the field.

Bolton was picked just in front of the bills. We could have traded up to get him of course, but that’s easy to say in hindsight.

The big whiff that draft was Basham over Humphrey 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Newcam.. my man.

Mahomes could challenge Brady, but he won’t get there. 

KC is a very good team, but beatable for sure. Mahomes is absolutely not unstoppable.

(I offer zero congrats to KC or their fans.)

Too many great QBs in the AFC

Burrow and Allen are going to each get one, IMO 

Plus you've got Lamar, who is almost unstoppable when he's on. Herbert, who can win any game. And maybe Aaron Rodgers for a couple years.

Brady had to get past Manning or a scrappy but non impressive Ravens or Steelers team. If Mannings team lost it was a cakewalk.

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

True... Like I said I didn't love it but I'm also not going to say that it decided the game.

KC scored on every single drive after halftime.

And they are held to a FG there with the Eagles having plenty of time to either tie or take the lead if the refs don't inject themselves there.

Let the game be decided by the players.  The Chiefs D stops Philly, they win.  Here, the refs determined the outcome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

If a referee is nothing else, the one thing they have to be is consistent.  If they aren't, it destroys people's belief in their impartiality.

If you don't call it all night, there's no way you call that one as weak as it was, on a 3rd down,which literally ended the game.

That late in the game it has to be egregious.  That hold didn't qualify.  You might as well have pulled the lever on the confetti machine once that flag hit the ground. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

a number of SB's will be remembered by one play..

Wide Right, obviously;

One Yard Short/The Tackle in the Rams/Titans game

The pass call by Pete Carroll against the Pats;

The David Tyree catch

This game will forever be remembered as The Bogus Call. 

And that's a shame.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Tulsabillsfanz said:

If I had to grade this Superbowl, I would give it an “I” for incomplete.

I really wish we could’ve seen what Philly would’ve done with 1:40 & one timeout, down 3 points. 

To have a very competitive Superbowl matchup end this way is bad for the game of football IMO.

I've been lobbying for red flag usage on missed or wrong calls made by the refs. Officiating needs Officiating IMO. Its an easy fix IMO. Just like the coin toss rule change in OT was an easy fix. If its important enough allow for the red flag.  If you look at the critical holding call closer, the flag gets picked up. Game ends the way it should have ended.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Kadarius Toney and JuJu just won a ring

Cant tell you enough how much I’m done hearing about “doing things the right way.”

There are no moral victories when it comes to winning a title.

You're either willing to do what it takes to win, or you're not.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

To have a very competitive Superbowl matchup end this way is bad for the game of football IMO.

I've been lobbying for red flag usage on missed or wrong calls made by the refs. Officiating needs Officiating IMO. Its an easy fix IMO. Just like the coin toss rule change in OT was an easy fix. If its important enough allow for the red flag.  If you look at the critical holding call closer, the flag gets picked up. Game ends the way it should have ended.

It probably was a penalty as you can see that he did grab for a moment the jersey but should not of been called. Tough spot for an official for sure but they do need to do better in just being consistent.  It wasn’t being called on both sides all night. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

To be fair… Hurts played well…

The Eagles D though is way over rated …

To be fair…Hurts strip sack fumble run in for a TD was a difference making play in the game.  Aren’t we pretty damn critical of other QB who turn the football over for a score like that?

Agree on the Eagles D.  Again, that penalty at the end was bad….but if the Eagles ST didn’t get toasted on a return, and toasted crispy on 2 TD passes, they aren’t in a position where that makes a difference in the game

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

I agree you have to capitalize on your opportunities & they blew this one. But Eagles have #10 pick & #31 pick in the draft, with a good core in place, I like their chances.

They also have a ton of key FAs this off-season and a new massive contract for Hurts is right around the corner.

And IMHO, he isn't going to do so great when he takes up that much cap money and they can't have everything else in place around him.

He is good...may be very good. But if he was forced to carry the Eagles the way Josh carries the Bills they would be a 9 win team. He isn't at that level.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I’m honestly asking here…I’m guessing the answer is yes but I didn’t see it myself. Were there a lot of defensive holding penalties going uncalled in this game? I think the one that was called at the end was pretty blatant personally and likely saved a TD so I personally think it had to be called, but I’m open to the idea that there were other blatant ones that were not.

Ultimately I thought this was maybe the best officiated game of the playoffs which isn’t saying a lot but kinda is.

The playing surface and QB sneak abuse were the two most annoying parts of the game to me. 

Eagles DB said he held. Refs saw the hold. Of course the WR says he was held so that doesn't mean much.

The man called for the flag knew he held. So it sucks that it was called at that moment but it was a hold. 

Allowing a hold on that moment also changes the game, possibly taking a TD off the board in a key moment.

It is what it is. I get that it sucks but it will barely be a footnote. It's hardly some massive story. 

Brady's phantom DPI gifts were much worse but in the end nobody cares. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

As a Bills' fan I simply didn't care about the call or particularly about the outcome, although I am marginally happy the Chiefs won only because they're AFC. I was also very unimpressed with Fox's announcers. They weren't annoying to me, just very "meh".

Every year that goes by without the Bills returning to the Super Bowl makes me care that much less about the game. About all I can say for this year is it afforded us the opportunity to have daughter, son-in-law and grandkids over to watch the game.

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Eagles DB said he held. Refs saw the hold. Of course the WR says he was held so that doesn't mean much.

The man called for the flag knew he held. So it sucks that it was called at that moment but it was a hold. 

Allowing a hold on that moment also changes the game, possibly taking a TD off the board in a key moment.

It is what it is. I get that it sucks but it will barely be a footnote. It's hardly some massive story. 

It was a hold.  That’s not the issue.

The issue is those kind of holds are committed by both teams and go uncalled for much of the game.  Call the game fairly both ways and evenly through the game

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

It is what it is. I get that it sucks but it will barely be a footnote. It hardly is some massive story. 

I'm not questioning it was a hold...I'm just questioning why none of the other holds that occurred up to this point were called but this one was.

Seems odd the only defensive penalty other than something on the DLine for either team was a call of this magnitude that was no different from what was happening the rest of trh game that wasn't called.

Just want consistency...not based on the moment of the game.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

After both the AFC championship game and the Super Bowl, the Chiefs will be roasted all off season as receiving favoritism from the officials. They don’t care as they won the Super Bowl, but Philly and Cinci fans will make a ton of noise, and those are heavily populated cities. Can’t say I blame them. Also has anyone noticed that in each close playoff game with a late fourth quarter kickoff that they have all been squib kicks?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It was a hold.  That’s not the issue.

The issue is those kind of holds are committed by both teams and go uncalled for much of the game.  Call the game fairly both ways and evenly through the game

I guess I'm not as worked up about it but I understand it's not ideal. 

Just because it's a huge moment doesn't mean you can just see a foul that affects the play and just let it go. That's giving one team an unfair advantage.

I am btw no fan of the refs. I just don't think this particular case is some sort of massive injustice.

Edited by TheFunPolice

29 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

There have been instances on NFL MIC’D UP / NFL FILMS … where you will hear Refs “warn” players about certain things they are doing.

I have come to believe that usually the first time a ref throws a flag on a player…is not the first time in that game that that player has been toeing the line of potential penalty.

I do believe that refs warn players and use judgement to keep the game moving and try to keep the focus on game altering penalties.

I think refs consistency is that they do give players warnings and chances to not be playing the game in penalty before throwing the flag.

6 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

No sure why, but I just find that QB sneak play annoying as hell. It'll be all the rage until some QB gets bent in half and is paralyzed.

I suspect it will be outlawed this off-season anyways (not qb sneaks in general but specifically the ones where everyone just pushes him from behind). 

17 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Brady's phantom DPI gifts were much worse but in the end nobody cares. 

Exactly.  The people making a big deal about that call are either Eagles fans or salty Chiefs haters.  

25 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

To be fair…Hurts strip sack fumble run in for a TD was a difference making play in the game.  Aren’t we pretty damn critical of other QB who turn the football over for a score like that?

Agree on the Eagles D.  Again, that penalty at the end was bad….but if the Eagles ST didn’t get toasted on a return, and toasted crispy on 2 TD passes, they aren’t in a position where that makes a difference in the game

Are we critical of Josh ? I don’t believe so…I think he gets forgiven a lot …

the Eagles D couldn’t stop a nose bleed in the 2nd half … 

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

Exactly.  The people making a big deal about that call are either Eagles fans or salty Chiefs haters.  

Could be, but it’s more like watching a great TV series and then it has a garbage ending (no holding called until then!). That’s what the holding call was for me. 

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep. I don’t think the NfL is rigged, but no one can convince me that it isn’t “favoured” for certain teams/players.

They are doing everything possible to make Mahomes the next tom Brady 

I mean that’s pretty much the definition of rigged. An unfair advantage. But we’ll just hear about how the Eagles “deserved to lose.” 🙄

I didn’t like the def holding call against the Rams either when the Bills played them in 2020. I don’t like BS calls period. They hurt the integrity of the sport. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I suspect it will be outlawed this off-season anyways (not qb sneaks in general but specifically the ones where everyone just pushes him from behind). 

the rule was changed specifically to allow players to be pushed forward, so probably not

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.