What gets fixed this post season - Offensively and Defensely

Thrivefourfive

By all means, add your own issues.

Which of these things get fixed during these playoffs? Very unrealistic they answer all of them. These are issues of coaching and players. I see players making as many mistakes as coaches, whether talent or mental.

• Allen getting the ball out, hitting more timing routes with receivers slanting/moving on reception

• Offensive line gives Allen more time to load up and comfortably complete 25+ darts

• More screen throws to RB and Knox

• More schemed runs instead of up the middle into a pile

• Tighter coverage in secondary

• No over the top plays like Miami should’ve completed multiple times

• Edmunds playing pro bowl ball

• Defensive front getting home and collapsing pocket

• Blitzing

Which issues can realistically be addressed this week in practice,,/!: going forward after a win?

Most of these items are related to offensive playing calling. Is Dorsey struggling some, likely yes.  Assuming we don't win the SB Is it enough to go in another direction and fire him or do they give him another year.  Was listening this morning on Sirius NFL radio and they were talking about Staley in LA.  Do they give him another year based on all his mistakes or look at it as he's still young and learning and keep him.  Same could be said about Bills WRT Dorsey.

Daboll struggled a fair amount too in earlier year and got better.  Difference is the entire team wasn't ready to compete for SB so team could put up with learning curve.  Now the team is more "on the clock" to win now.

Overall though Allen seems to have regressed, though not sure either Int today was really his fault.   But there were other passes that were off quite a bit.  Seems like when he throws it 20 yards it's spot on, but 5 to 10 yard passes are all over the place.

I would honestly say no one is safe on the o-line . Today was atrocious. Both Brown and Dawkins were getting beat all game. But how much can we give a fair assessment with the play calling. Every passing play is a long developing play no quick outs or curls just deep crosses and go routes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Drafting and FA aren’t coming during these playoffs. Where’s are heads ladies and gentlemen? We need to fix things this week, and beyond into these playoffs. What can be fixed? If it’s just one of those issues, we’re in big trouble.

I’m hoping it’s more run schemes, and more timing routes. The deep ball is there — It’s not a weakness unless it’s overused.

Defensively, I’ll take getting to the QB. I don’t think our DBs can stick long enough without pressure. 

Love the game management/timeout improvements — that’s a must have!

Edited by Thrivefourfive

Start passing to the RBs.  Or have they been staying in to pass protect because the OL is so porous?  Zero targets to Cook or motor today.  In the first meeting, iirc, motor had 9 catches or targets.  Now zero targets.  Let’s hope Dorsey improves this post season 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Overall though Allen seems to have regressed, though not sure either Int today was really his fault.   But there were other passes that were off quite a bit.  Seems like when he throws it 20 yards it's spot on, but 5 to 10 yard passes are all over the place.

Today, Josh almost never had a clean pocket. When he has his feet set, his throws are rarely off. When he has to dance around and worry in the pocket obviously that leads to bad passes. I know the Bills have numerous holes for next year but I think if they could vastly improve the O line, we would see Josh’s and the offense’s success rate rise greatly. Even the receivers would seem more effective with better protection for Josh as he would deliver more accurate passes consistently. 

• Like (+1) 1

1. OL

2. WR
3. Power RB
4. TE depth

I want to see a much better run game so it's not all on Josh all the time. A team with an elite QB and elite RB is a nightmare for opposing defenses. They can win in any climate. They can sit on leads or come from behind. They can also endure injuries better.
If the Raiders were dumb enough to let Jacobs go, I'd LOVE to see him in Bills blue in 2023.

We need a tougher OL and a breakaway threat like CMC.

Sadly, it looks like the 49'ers with a rookie QB are the team to beat. McCaffrey and Deebo just take over games with average QB play and their defense is savage. I really wish the Bills would step it up, but they just look a step behind the elite right now. 

Edited by TampaBillsJunkie

I don't accept some of those are things that need fixing. 

The main ones that do are these:

1. Offensive Line - it sucks

2. Weapons for Josh - need upgrading

3. Finishing our pass rushes - I think they need their "finisher" to come back healthy

4. Communication in the secondary - we have had a prolonged glimpse into life without the Hyde-Poyer axis and man is that duo going to tough to replace.

• Like (+1) 2

We play zone, and so cornerback coverage is not going to be tighter

Because resources will be limited I think they’re gonna need to take a holistic approach to improvement

Upgrading the offense of line should improve the running game, and should keep Josh Allen from having to run for his life on every other play fixing some of the other issues

Improving the quality of the past catchers should mean hopefully lest dropped balls by receivers, therefore making the passing game more productive

I still think that pass rush is a sneaky need even though we use a rotation and even though we paid out that big money to Von Miller, I am hoping there is a late round gem that they can bring along over the course of the season to mix into the rotation

Did we just score 34 points? Or was there a different game I missed.

That said it is time to double down on the offense. Bills need 2 OL and a WR in the first four rounds of the draft.

Much will be determined with the decisions they make with Edmunds, Poyer, and Hyde. 

Hopefully Singletary signs a cheap deal to stay.  He can be replaced but he and Cook are a decent 1-2 combo. 

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland

1 hour ago, Herb Nightly said:

The discussion is about POST season (playoffs) not the OFF season.

The question is ,what can the Bills clean-up THIS week to better prepare for the Bengals?

whoops - my apologies!  I was purely going off the thread title

Edited by RiotAct

I will say this again…

The Bills have a very unique offense. I don’t believe anyone runs the E-Perkins offense the way we do. It was a clear redesign of the offense during the off-season to utilize the arm strength and mobility of Allen.

The offense is designed to have Allen’s reads from deep to short. Every other heavy passing team runs it short to deep. It stresses their DB’s and LB’s early in the first half and pushes them back off the line and into more risky coverages. 

By design it sets up Allen and the run game for later in games and also tires them out on the backend. UNFORTUNATELY ‼️, Allen does not always(mostly not) take advantage of this and take the check downs. Allen actually did after the game got close yesterday, but in this situation, that doesn’t work, because Miami was risking and blitzing playing cover 0 on the back with man to man.

I am not saying I like this style, but if executed properly, we can beat anyone. Just need some heart medication along the way…

My only hope is that Allen will watch the tape and try to improve. Trust me though, D coordinators don’t want to see Allen and the Bills. The only way to beat him is to try and play cover 2 & 3 early, with a spy on Allen, throwing in the occasional blitz on 3rd and long. Otherwise, we must expect this is how games will go, and we will win late.

They seem to be willing to die by the sword if necessary.

Nothing we can control. Control the controllables people, just let them play and cheer when they need us 💪🏼‼️

Go Bills!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.