Thoughts on McDermott’s timeouts?

Einstein

I hated using both of them. I'm from the school of thought that you don't use defensive timeouts unless something crazy happens like 10 men on the field. The game was close, there was a chance we were gonna need those timeouts for a comeback attempt.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Haven't seen the first one back the second one was absolutely the right call. The D was all over the place and there were going to be multiple receivers open. In the end Thompson tried a low percentage throw and missed so it looks bad... but if he looked off to his left he had guys with no defenders opposite them.

And I cursed it at first in the GDT. But when you see the replay that is ABSOLUTELY a spot where you call time out. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6

2 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

Both turned out to be terrible based on result of the play.  Not sure why he called timeout as time was expiring on the 4th and 1

It appeared the Bills were not lined up properly and several players were open immediately. Thompson made a bad read and threw deep incomplete, so the result made it unnecessary but it could have been a big gain on a much easier throw if Thompson saw that.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, 947 said:

I hated using both of them. I'm from the school of thought that you don't use defensive timeouts unless something crazy happens like 10 men on the field. The game was close, there was a chance we were gonna need those timeouts for a comeback attempt.

The second was wasn't 10 men on the field but it was something kinda crazy. Not sure why the D was so late getting set.... did they have the punt return team on originally or something? But half the D were stood in one spot almost still huddling. 

Just now, Big Turk said:

It appeared the Bills were not lined up properly and several players were open immediately. Thompson made a bad read and three deep incomplete, so the result made it unnecessary but it could have been a big gain on a much easier throw if Thompson saw that.

I thought it was hill on Milano 1x1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The second was wasn't 10 men on the field but it was something kinda crazy. Not sure why the D was so late getting set.... did they have the punt return team on originally or something? But half the D were stood in one spot almost still huddling. 

I have to go back and watch this part. I missed them showing the defense not set.

Crazy that we stuffed them despite not being set.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Einstein said:

I have to go back and watch this part. I missed them showing the defense not set.

Crazy that we stuffed them despite not being set.

Wrong play. The 4th and 1 we stuffed was delay of game on the Fins. It was the 4th and 5 the previous drive that they went for where we called TO. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

McDermott needs to know ahead of time how plays will turn out so he doesn't call time out when plays go our way.

It would be best if they were prepared before the play so that he didn’t feel the need to call TO to not get caught with the their pants down. Also, the timeout seems to have no bearing on whether the ensuing play is stopped or not.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

McDermott needs to know ahead of time how plays will turn out so he doesn't call time out when plays go our way.

I know you’re being facetious but perhaps he needs to follow the George Constanza rule.

Just do the OPPOSITE of what you think you should do 😂

0*Qmt18m8ZI3f6R0QK.webp

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Wrong play. The 4th and 1 we stuffed was delay of game on the Fins. It was the 4th and 5 the previous drive that they went for where we called TO. 

Oh that’s right. Thank you.

Absolutely hate his defensive TOs.   Not only today.  It allows the Offense to reset, and results are usually bad for Bills.  Ex The Chiefs do not complete the Kelce pass to set up GW FG last year, except for that amazingly stupid defensive TO.  Today the Dolphins likely don’t score their last TD except for defensive TO and the last 1 where Miami missed on 4th down, cost more than 50

yards of field position after the punt.

I’m a big fan of McD, and give him a ton of credit for Bills recent success.  However. I think there are times in big games where he wants to assert some direct responsibility for the outcome. And the unnecessary TOs come back to bite him.

13 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

1 good and 1 bad. Needed a thread for this?

Yes

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Haven't seen the first one back the second one was absolutely the right call. The D was all over the place and there were going to be multiple receivers open. In the end Thompson tried a low percentage throw and missed so it looks bad... but if he looked off to his left he had guys with no defenders opposite them.

And I cursed it at first in the GDT. But when you see the replay that is ABSOLUTELY a spot where you call time out. 

honestly, I don’t think you can really factor the result of the play on those ones at all. 

I did not like the attempt to force the review. It cost a play attempt and you know ny is looking even if the ref didn’t. 

I thought the last second on 4th was odd with the impending delay of game but sure he saw something 

2 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Absolutely hate his defensive TOs.   Not only today.  It allows the Offense to reset, and results are usually bad for Bills.  Ex The Chiefs do not complete the Kelce pass to set up GW FG last year, except for that amazingly stupid defensive TO.  Today the Dolphins likely don’t score their last TD except for defensive TO and the last 1 where Miami missed on 4th down, cost more than 50

yards of field position after the punt.

I’m a big fan of McD, and give him a ton of credit for Bills recent success.  However. I think there are times in big games where he wants to assert some direct responsibility for the outcome. And the unnecessary TOs come back to bite him.

Yes

Agreed.  He’s great at organization/ team building and getting a team prepared, but he seems to wet his pants on these snap decisions.  

11 minutes ago, vincec said:

It would be best if they were prepared before the play so that he didn’t feel the need to call TO to not get caught with the their pants down. Also, the timeout seems to have no bearing on whether the ensuing play is stopped or not.

Exactly. He needs to know what defense the opponent puts out there before they put it out.

McDermott calling timeouts on defense just gives the offense a chance to get into the proper play. It's football 101 that you don't do that unless you're subject to a substitution penalty that results in a first down. He thinks it's clever, but it's dumb.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Ralonzo said:

McDermott calling timeouts on defense just gives the offense a chance to get into the proper play. It's football 101 that you don't do that unless you're subject to a substitution penalty that results in a first down. He thinks it's clever, but it's dumb.

yea, if you are lined up or matched poorly on a big play why would you fix it 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

yea, if you are lined up or matched poorly on a big play why would you fix it 

You're clever too. Did you not learn from Peyton and Eli? Timeouts are for the offense.

Pretty sure I went over this in GDT. Second half timeouts, I would sooner take a DoG than burn one, burning two on defense is indefensible. Defense is reactive, being in the wrong set isn't critical. Having time to think about things benefits the offense, not the defense. This is why Peyton & Eli say "timeouts are for the offense." Not having the ability to control clock at the end of a game is critical. We've seen this over and over from Mcd, he doesn't understand this basic truth.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

You're clever too. Did you not learn from Peyton and Eli? Timeouts are for the offense.

Pretty sure I went over this in GDT. Second half timeouts, I would sooner take a DoG than burn one, burning two on defense is indefensible. Defense is reactive, being in the wrong set isn't critical. Having time to think about things benefits the offense, not the defense. This is why Peyton & Eli say "timeouts are for the offense." Not having the ability to control clock at the end of a game is critical. We've seen this over and over from Mcd, he doesn't understand this basic truth.

I agree with you 90% of the time re: this situation, but before I passed final judgement I'd really like to see what that field looked like when he was chugging down the sideline to the judge.

I missed the replay because I was literally face down on my carpet for the only time today, saying "I cannot f'ing believe he did it again".

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

honestly, I don’t think you can really factor the result of the play on those ones at all. 

I did not like the attempt to force the review. It cost a play attempt and you know ny is looking even if the ref didn’t. 

I thought the last second on 4th was odd with the impending delay of game but sure he saw something 

Yea the one at the end of the first half on offense was the worst of the 3. 100%. That costs you a shot at the endzone.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I agree with you 90% of the time re: this situation, but before I passed final judgement I'd really like to see what that field looked like when he was chugging down the sideline to the judge.

I missed the replay because I was literally face down on my carpet for the only time today, saying "I cannot f'ing believe he did it again".

I get that, but even if you see their #1 WR totally uncovered, you only run down to call a TO for that, ideally, late in the 4th. Otherwise you'd end up burning your TOs early in every half if you're calling them when you think you have an unfavorable D matchup.

Timeouts are for the offense.

Also, I was face down on the hardwood for stumbling.

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I get that, but even if you see their #1 WR totally uncovered, you only run down to call a TO for that, ideally, late in the 4th. Otherwise you'd end up burning your TOs early in every half if you're calling them when you think you have an unfavorable D matchup.

Timeouts are for the offense.

Also, I was face down on the hardwood for stumbling.

That play you HAVE to call timeout. They weren't just misaligned. They were not in any alignment. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.