Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Well, I’m in two camps here. I want to get some youngsters on a rookie salary, but I also know that where we pick we’re not going to have the best choices. 

Only way to get better picks would be packaging and losing some later picks anyhow. 

The other side of me wants our window to stay as viable this year as it was last year. 

If we could get a deal done with lesser picks, and have Hopkins and Diggs for the next season or two, I wouldn’t mind that. 

In fact, I’d say I’d be super excited about that. I’m good with deferring to Beane. I know he won’t sacrifice the future so if he thinks he can do it and keep the future looking bright. I’m in. It’s not an easy ask, and I know it’s not an easy task. But right now, players  actually want to come here, so I don’t know that it’ll ever be easier for him to make these types of moves than right now. 

Idk… I’m a fan. I’ll keep fanning. I’ll let Beane do what he’s got to do. If he does something that makes it easier for me to fan, well, I’m okay with that. 

Totally agree with you, and we'll also have a couple drafts to get younger/restock certain positions.

28 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

28 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Because the Bills need to get some cheap starters on rookie contracts.

At this point, do they really?  The team has pushed basically all of their chips into the pot the last two seasons.  A rebuild is coming soon that will involve just about everyone other than Josh.  So far, there's nothing to show for having been a top 5 team for three straight seasons.

2023 is the last shot this version of the team has to win it all.  Guys like Miller, Poyer, Hyde, Oliver, and possibly even Diggs will likely be either moved or relegated to backups due to age by 2024.  If Hopkins is the final piece to win a championship, he's worth it at any price.  If they don't win, Beane is likely gone by 2024 or 2025 either way.

If someone like Kansas City outbids Buffalo for Hopkins and wins a Superbowl, Beane will be a pariah.  Nobody is going to care that he saved a draft pick.

Edited by Billl
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Billl said:

At this point, do they really?  The team has pushed basically all of their chips into the pot the last two seasons.  A rebuild is coming soon that will involve just about everyone other than Josh.  So far, there's nothing to show for having been a top 5 team for three straight seasons.

2023 is the last shot this version of the team has to win it all.  Guys like Miller, Poyer, Hyde, Oliver, and possibly even Diggs will likely be either moved or relegated to backups due to age by 2024.  If Hopkins is the final piece to win a championship, he's worth it at any price.  If they don't win, Beane is likely gone by 2024 or 2025 either way.

If someone like Kansas City outbids Buffalo for Hopkins and wins a Superbowl, Beane will be a pariah.  Nobody is going to care that he saved a draft pick.

I agree with everything you're saying, and I just want to add: By most reports, Hopkins isn't going to cost that much in terms of draft capital.  Some are arguing because of his contract it might only be a 4th or 5th round pick and possibly a player.  

This isn't even mortgaging the future like the Rams have done. It's just making your team better right now. 

• Agree 1

I personally would do it. The Bills need to go all in and get their players excited about the season. You would be hurting your team 3-4 years in the future but by then they will be out of their window anyhow with players like Poyer, Hyde, Von, maybe Diggs retiring or moving on. They will need to reset by then anyhow

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

I agree with you. I was just presenting the argument that some have made against giving up 27

• Thank you (+1) 1

Let me make sure I have the facts...:

1. Hopkins posted on IG: Buffalo soldier and drinking OJ in Dallas

2. Hopkins follows Josh, then Josh follows Hopkins on IG

3. Beane has already said we are tight against the cap and not looking to mortgage the future

4. We just signed 2 Wrs, Beane specifically saying Harty is our ideal #4 WR

5. Shakir coming off an OK rookie season (for a 5th rounder), and likely projects well in the slot but hasn't proven much

6. To fit Hopkins under the cap, we likely have to get Arizona to eat ALOT of $s and/or mortgage future cap periods (ie: add fake or voided years, and convert base salary to bonus)

7. Beane has expressed a clear desire to re-sign Gabe, as recent as last week in his presser (which would be highly unlikely if we trade for Hopkins)

Based on all of this, somehow it's becoming a rumor we are targeting Nuke?!   Not to be rude but WOW, I hope some of you don't apply this level of "overthinking/overanalyzing" in your day job.  Plenty of reasons to explain #1 and 2 above, not at all related to trading for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, GustheDog33 said:

Has anyone asked Hyde, Poyer and White?  They, uh, might have some thoughts...

who was the WR we put there to play deep against him that game?  gosh, that'd be a good trivia quesiton. i'm drawing a blank

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Let me make sure I have the facts...:

1. Hopkins posted on IG: Buffalo soldier and drinking OJ in Dallas

2. Hopkins follows Josh, then Josh follows Hopkins on IG

3. Beane has already said we are tight against the cap and not looking to mortgage the future

4. We just signed 2 Wrs, Beane specifically saying Harty is our ideal #4 WR

5. Shakir coming off an OK rookie season (for a 5th rounder), and likely projects well in the slot but hasn't proven much

6. To fit Hopkins under the cap, we likely have to get Arizona to eat ALOT of $s and/or mortgage future cap periods (ie: add fake or voided years, and convert base salary to bonus)

7. Beane has expressed a clear desire to re-sign Gabe, as recent as last week in his presser (which would be highly unlikely if we trade for Hopkins)

Based on all of this, somehow it's becoming a rumor we are targeting Nuke?!   Not to be rude but WOW, I hope some of you don't apply this level of "overthinking/overanalyzing" in your day job.  Plenty of reasons to explain #1 and 2 above, not at all related to trading for him.

1. Hopkins posted the Buffalo Soldier song hours after following Josh Allen

2. Josh followed Damien Harris and Hopkins yesterday
3. Beane has said they could move money around if a move made sense

6. If Oliver's $ is going out and AZ retains 6 million like Houston did with Cooks, Hopkins is only adding a few million to our cap this year
7. What do you expect a GM to say to the media?  "We have no desire to keep the player?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Billl said:

I think Buffalo will, at some point, extend Jones and Hyde another year.. and that gives us this coming year and the following year with the core of Diggs, Von, Hyde, Poyer, White, Jones, Dawkins and maybe Morse.  

Then, yea, it looks like a whole lot of turnover after the '24 season. 

When looking at it this way, it makes all the sense in the world to find a way to get Hopkins here, especially if they will eat some of his salary this year, and then him having an affordable cap hit the following year under 15M.

Edited by SCBills

14 minutes ago, boyst said:

who was the WR we put there to play deep against him that game?  gosh, that'd be a good trivia quesiton. i'm drawing a blank

Damn it. You’re going to make me go watch that again. Someone please answer the man’s trivia question so I don’t have to do that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I hate to be the downer on the party

bean said, no big splashes this year

Yep Beane said that also with the Von Year.  Oooo also said that in the Diggs year.  

If I remember his exact quote recently "no big splashes in free Agency"  This would technically be a Trade, not a UFA

We all know that we needed another weapon to step up and trade blows with Cincy/KC/MIA down the stretch.  There is no way after the exit we had that Beane is going to bet the season on Gabe/Rookie/and 3 gadgety WR's with potential as possible WR 2's.  

The formula is 2 bonafide studs:  Cincy, Philly, Miami, TB, Rams (with OBJ) and Niners.  KC is a unique situation of HOF (Probably all 2nd GOAT)  QB/TE/Coach and a bunch of possession/speed JAG's.  Not to be copied - you can't.

Nuk + Diggs puts us in the class of the others mentioned.  

IMHO - BBB has a splash move coming.

1 minute ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

We all know that we needed another weapon to step up and trade blows with Cincy/KC/MIA down the stretch.  There is no way after the exit we had that Beane is going to bet the season on Gabe/Rookie/and 3 gadgety WR's with potential as possible WR 2's.  

The formula is 2 bonafide studs:  Cincy, Philly, Miami, TB, Rams (with OBJ) and Niners.  KC is a unique situation of HOF (Probably all 2nd GOAT)  QB/TE/Coach and a bunch of possession/speed JAG's.  Not to be copied - you can't.

Nuk + Diggs puts us in the class of the others mentioned.  

IMHO - BBB has a splash move coming.

I don't know, but the reasoning here is right. I think it's more likely than not and it's the right thing to do.

23 minutes ago, jletha said:

What is your preferred method of *rumors* to be started?

Haha, let's just say I don't overthink someone following another on socials/or overthinking someone's posts...

Just this offseason, people overthinking social media of players...we've been rumored to :

1. Derrick Henry

2. Dalvin Cook

3. OBJ

4. Hopkins

5. Who is next?

Can't wait for Josh to follow Patrick Mahomes, then Pat to post about Buffalo Wings...OMG, we might be trading for him

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Haha, let's just say I don't overthink someone following another on socials/or overthinking someone's posts...

Just this offseason, people overthinking social media of players...we've been rumored to :

1. Derrick Henry

2. Dalvin Cook

3. OBJ

4. Hopkins

5. Who is next?

Can't wait for Josh to follow Patrick Mahomes, then Pat to post about Buffalo Wings...OMG, we might be trading for him

I’ve also heard Cooper Kupp on here.