Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

Just now, Back2Buff said:

Hahaha, what?!  It's the definition of a rumor.

Brandon Beane explains why the Bills haven't made any big money signings (yahoo.com)

Hopkins would be a trade, not a signing, and yes… we all heard him … we also heard him last year … we also heard him acknowledge that we are still monitoring the OBJ situation. 

Literally every Bills reporter is entertaining the possibility of the Bills trading for Hopkins, but I’m sure you know better. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Brandon Beane explains why the Bills haven't made any big money signings (yahoo.com)

You're not the adult in the room, fella. Everyone knows the Bills are operating with a limited budget. Do you think Beane is going to publicly show everyone all his cards? Candor of that kind and poker/football GM don't mix. If an opportunity arises to improve the team, he'll look into it. We're not dealing with a cash strapped owner like the Raiders. There are licit ways to work the cap to allow player acquisition, especially if your owner is willing to pay out cash to convert salaries to upfront cash. And fans enjoy the prospect of getting difference maker playmakers. It adds excitement and a measure of anticipation to life which can be very hard filled with sadness and strife. So if you think it is all foolish non-sense, just keep it to yourself for at worst, it's an entirely harmless foolishness.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Brandon Beane said this last year.  It sucks we couldn't sign any big names last year.

BTW, you can get Hopkins cap hit to $4 million next year.

Said Beane: "I think it's not going to be perfect for us but it's going to be better [than last year]. And we'll still have to make some moves. I wouldn't see us being like big spenders or anything like that, but we'll definitely look to fill some spots from the outside as well as retain some of our guys."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-flexibility-better-than-it-appears

55 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Why do fans get all worked up over rumors online when the GM is on recent record literally stating they have no money?

Not happening, move on with your lives.

Is this about people talking about the rumor or the potential you'll believe its possible and then be let down?   Its a message board let people have fun.

You have to take what Beane and McDermott say with a grain of salt. What they say to the media isn't necessarily what they are planning behind closed doors. Last year we had no money and then Von was signed.

• Agree 1

I'm guessing that originally Beane's interest was lukewarm based on the asking price + the $$$....

but since Houston retained $ on Cooks, there is precedent for that to happen and if Arizona has come down on their desired return...

it makes sense we could suddenly have serious interest 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'm guessing that originally Beane's interest was lukewarm based on the asking price + the $$$....

but since Houston retained $ on Cooks, there is precedent for that to happen and if Arizona has come down on their desired return...

it makes sense we could suddenly have serious interest 

Wisdom is matched to particular circumstances. When things change, so does the best choice of action.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well Hopkins is a trade not a signing. So technically the Cardinals can offer to pick up most of his salary. Just depends on what we offer and how much the Cardinals are willing to pick up

No they cannot offer to pick up most of the salary. This isn’t the NHL, cap space isn’t directly tradable. 

Could they restructure Hopkins and move more money to bonus? Yes. But they cannot just barter actual dollars spent. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

No they cannot offer to pick up most of the salary. This isn’t the NHL, cap space isn’t directly tradable. 

Could they restructure Hopkins and move more money to bonus? Yes. But they cannot just barter actual dollars spent. 

Uhhhhh the Texans just ate 6 million of Cooks salary in the Cowboys trade

Curious why so many would be upset with trading a 1st here. 

The odds of drafting a guy who is instantly impactful is low. The odds of picking a guy like Deandre Hopkins are nearly impossible. Sure, it’s risk/reward, and I’m 100% in the OL camp, but I don’t see any draft pick that would have this instant impact. Diggs and Hopkins? Wow.  

2 minutes ago, GustheDog33 said:

Has anyone asked Hyde, Poyer and White?  They, uh, might have some thoughts...

Is there something about that play that makes it more than a successful completion of a hail mary pass? Was there something dirty about what Hopkins did beyond jumping higher? I’m legitimately asking here.

Just now, stevestojan said:

The odds of drafting a guy who is instantly impactful is low. The odds of picking a guy like Deandre Hopkins are nearly impossible. Sure, it’s risk/reward, and I’m 100% in the OL camp, but I don’t see any draft pick that would have this instant impact. Diggs and Hopkins? Wow.  

You won't have to trade a 1st though.  The original ask was a 2+ something else.  It's now reported the deal is expected to be closer to what Cooks got 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

Because the Bills need to get some cheap starters on rookie contracts.

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

You won't have to trade a 1st though.  The original ask was a 2+ something else.  It's now reported the deal is expected to be closer to what Cooks got 

Well in that case, get it ***** done, Beane. :)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Would be shocked - floored - if Ted Thompson 2.0 pulled the trigger here.

Prove me wrong Beane.

God rest Ted Thompson...

But TT 2.0 is becoming a painfully appropriate comp.  Hope Beane finds some guts and tells his boss McD that they're not going defense as regularly happened 2017-2022. 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Agree 1

Well, I’m in two camps here. I want to get some youngsters on a rookie salary, but I also know that where we pick we’re not going to have the best choices. 

Only way to get better picks would be packaging and losing some later picks anyhow. 

The other side of me wants our window to stay as viable this year as it was last year. 

If we could get a deal done with lesser picks, and have Hopkins and Diggs for the next season or two, I wouldn’t mind that. 

In fact, I’d say I’d be super excited about that. I’m good with deferring to Beane. I know he won’t sacrifice the future so if he thinks he can do it and keep the future looking bright. I’m in. It’s not an easy ask, and I know it’s not an easy task. But right now, players  actually want to come here, so I don’t know that it’ll ever be easier for him to make these types of moves than right now. 

Idk… I’m a fan. I’ll keep fanning. I’ll let Beane do what he’s got to do. If he does something that makes it easier for me to fan, well, I’m okay with that. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks