NFL Week #18 - Patriots* @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

It's more to do with efficiency.  Gabe's numbers are really bad for the number of balls thrown his way by an elite QB.

Bad for a 23 year old WR?  Would a rookie replacement have better numbers?  That's my point.  The guy has been a lock for 7 TD's a year, and that's a BIG stat

4 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Ok. Cut his ass

I know you're being sarcastic but the point may be that after 3 years this is what we're gonna get. He's on a cheap contract next year but I don't know if the Bills extend him — or if they should. He needs to step it up.

However, like with Edmunds, I'm not sure the age factor plays any more. After multiple years in the pros I think you're mostly seeing what a player is and will be. Yes, incremental progress is possible but I'm not holding out for significant improvement.

I think we fell in love with an idea that Gabe can be dominant after the KC playoff game but it's now looking like an outlier and not close to what he is most Sundays.

Edited by Nephilim17

3 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I know you're being sarcastic but the point may be that after 3 years this is what we're gonna get. He's on a cheap contract next year but I don't know if the Bills extend him — or if they should. He needs to step it up.

However, like with Edmunds, I'm not sure the age factor plays any more. After multiple years in the pros I think you're mostly seeing what a player is and will be. Yes, incremental progress is possible but I'm not holding out for significant improvement.

I think we fell in love with an idea that Gabe can be dominant after the KC playoff game but it's now looking like an outlier and not close to what he is most Sundays.

I was for sure being sarcastic. I get your point but like Edmonds who’s gotten better I think Gabe can still get it back. One more season for sure but adding some talent around him is a good idea. I think this staff is going to do some different things in the playoffs. Cook. Bease. Smoke. 

Edited by AlfaBill

Just now, nucci said:

well said...also play calling not great. 2nd to last drive when they should have been running...throw deep 3 times? He's not comfortable in the pocket

Yeah those last few plays where they needed to get the clock moving and he was chucking prayers downfield were a perfect example of that.

Just 5 yrds and a simple slide is all you need but his mind is in run and gun mode on every snap and it makes him do odd stuff

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

However, like with Edmunds, I'm not the age factor plays any more. After multiple years in the pros I think you're mostly seeing what a player is and will be. Yes, incremental progress is possible but I'm not holding out for significant improvement.

I think we fell in love with an idea that Gabe can be dominant after the KC game but it's now looking like an outlier and not close to what he is most Sundays.

Yeah he had 4tds and like 200 yards that game, but looking back, I don't remember many of those being contested catches.  They were more just great passes from Josh.

Contested catches has been a huge issue for him this season.  Heck, just catching the ball period has been an issue this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

The Bills are probably 3 plays away from undefeated:

1) The short throw to McK vs Miami

2) The wtf red zone int against the Jets

3) Don't knock-it-down vs the Viking on 4th-and-100.

3.1) Fumbled snap vs Vikings

Just now, daz28 said:

Bad for a 23 year old WR?  Would a rookie replacement have better numbers?  That's my point.  The guy has been a lock for 7 TD's a year, and that's a BIG stat

Better numbers?  I don't know.  Some rookie WRs really flash in their first season.  Or maybe we can get a reliable FA for much cheaper that can replicate those numbers.  836 yards on 93 targets, many of them trying to push the ball down the field, is not good.

In all cases, I'd rather pay any combination of Edmunds, Poyer and Oliver.

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Better numbers?  I don't know.  Some rookie WRs really flash in their first season.  Or maybe we can get a reliable FA for much cheaper that can replicate those numbers.  836 yards on 93 targets, many of them trying to push the ball down the field, is not good.

The cost of the gamble on that rookie WR is VERY high, though.  It's absolutely imperative that we use out high draft picks wisely now that the cap is super tight.  

Give it up for Taron Johnson today on an absolute dominant game. My wife is like “who is that little guy making all the tackles?”  Amazed he had that type of game after being in protocol, but it bodes well for our playoffs in the slot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

I was for sure being sarcastic. I get your point but like Edmonds who’s gotten better I think Gabe can still get it back. One more season for sure but adding some talent around him is a good idea. I think this staff is going to do some different things in the playoffs. Cook. Bease. Smoke. 

I don't think Gabe's handle on the WR2 spot is that secure.

Not saying they shop him.

This is a patient coaching staff, BUT I would not be shocked if they target a WR in the draft that can push Gabe.

He needs a strong finish this season.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

He's just not a reliable receiver. Way too many incompletions on balls he should've had.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think they will.

And he was really good today for the majority of the game until they got desperate when down two scores.

That’s a pattern now for him. He is not good enough to carry a team or bring them back. I’m with the poster you responded too. I hope the Pats stick with him for another year. 

• Like (+1) 1

What a Game. Some Good. Some Bad. Some Ugly. And some Divine.

The Good: Making clutch plays

The Bad: defensive lapses, turnovers and oenalties

The Ugly: Fearing the wheels were coming off as posters were showing some panic

The Divine:  NYHEIM HINES

You can't write this stuff up. And then he does it AGAIN

I'll never forget this game.

GO BILLS!~!~!!!!

💙

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, WideNine said:

I don't think Gabe's handle on the WR2 spot is that secure.

Not saying they shop him.

This is a patient coaching staff, BUT I would not be shocked if they target a WR in the draft that can push Gabe.

He needs a strong finish this season.

What do think about this staff showing different offensive looks featuring a really hot Cook, adding Beas and smoke?

Bills got a comfortable win, game was tight until late but the Bills pulled away despite a late turnover. All in all a bit uneven but the team won. A decent effort to go into the Miami playoff game. 2 seed clinched and no playing in KC not the worst outcome to the regular season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, daz28 said:

The cost of the gamble on that rookie WR is VERY high, though.  It's absolutely imperative that we use out high draft picks wisely now that the cap is super tight.  

Yeah I'm fine with them using the higher draft capital on OL, taking shots at WR in Day 2/3 and signing a reliable possession guy on the cheap.

• Like (+1) 1

This game like so many this season this team just feels like it’s stuck in the mud. I know all the stuff they’ve had to deal with but I can’t remember the last time we just came out for four quarters and played our game.  I understand the defense and the injuries but the offense just has been so darn streaky.    

Hopefully we put it all together for the playoffs.   I’d love to come out and just throttle the fish next week but I’m honestly a little nervous about playing a division opponent in the playoffs.  A repeat if the pats game from last year would really be neato.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, major said:

What time do you all think we play next weekend?

Just now, major said:

What time do you all think we play next weekend?

8:30 Saturday

Just now, balln said:

ed oliver really came to play. 1 tackle

aje was a joke. basham made tackles 7 yards down field

team isnt going anywhere with these JAGs. unless allen goes mvp mode for 4 games straight

Eff u!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, balln said:

ed oliver really came to play. 1 tackle

aje was a joke. basham made tackles 7 yards down field

team isnt going anywhere with these JAGs. unless allen goes mvp mode for 4 games straight

Well said. Basham is non-existent, Espenesa is rarely seen and Oliver, overall, is a disappointment.

• Vomit 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, AlfaBill said:

What do think about this staff showing different offensive looks featuring a really hot Cook, adding Beas and smoke?

I can envision Cook as that back you can easily motion to the slot. 

Nothing  against McKenzie and Bease, but I could see the Bills shifting to more Cook and Shakir in the slot as they learn the ropes.

They are both pretty sure handed and offer explosiveness from that position.

It takes time to learn to read NFL defenses/zones, but Cook vs most LBs and Safeties is a mismatch.

If Allen motions him and sees those kind of matchups it will likely be a money play.

Not sure they get there this year, but it is an option Dorsey could explore.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.