Bills playoff opponent scenarios

BLeonard

Hopefully, this will explain all of the playoff scenarios for the Bills, depending on tomorrow's game outcomes.

Bills win* OR CIN Loss - Bills Clinch #2 Seed

1:  vs MIA if MIA beats NYJ

2:  vs PIT if MIA loses to NYJ AND PIT beats CLE

3:  vs NE if MIA loses to NYJ AND PIT loses to CLE 

Bills lose AND CIN beats BAL - Bills clinch #3 Seed

1:  vs BAL

* - If the Bills beat NE and face KC in the AFC Championship, the game will be held at a neutral site.

If you're more of a visual person, here are the current flow charts for the top 3 seeds and the 7th seed.

2049182012_Top3SeedFlowChart.thumb.jpg.9a77d13b18946d410c53a1962cccb695.jpg65464716_AFC7thSeed.thumb.png.a4f53ae802e5b9a06de15e6b88ff8751.png

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

So Bills have 3 home games in a row starting tomorrow?

If we win tomorrow, can’t play another road game

7 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Doesn’t matter who they put in front of us. We just do what we do and handle business. NE or Pitt would be preferable, but there’s literally no team I fear. All we can do from here is win.

Personally, the Bengals scare me. I don’t think our DB’s can deal with their WR’s, even with zone dropping 7

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You think KC fans wont travel?  I mean don't get me wrong, a neutral site is way better than Arrowhead but its still travel away from home and a road game.  

Bills fans show up in KC.  It’s been speculated that Indianapolis is neutral sight.  Indy is almost exactly halfway between KC and Buffalo.  Once tickets are on sale- Bills Mafia will be scooping them up.  Sure KC will.  But my $ is always on Bills Mafia!

• Agree 1

Me, my Dad, and my brother go to a Bills game every year, and I’ve been going to games with my Dad since 70s.  This year was the highest Bills aftermarket tickets.  We could not figure out a game that didn’t cost a fortune.  We looked into flying into Cincy or Chicago, but our schedules conflicted.

So if Bills play a neutral sight playoff game- we will buy tickets and see our beloved Buffalo Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, peterpan said:

The NFL will be at our back bc of the Hamlin sympathy and storyline.  If we play well, we WILL get the calls.  Play well and the Bills are already Super Bowl Champs!

At what minute today do we start saying that the officials are out to get the Bills to appease the Bengals?

Anyone want to run a sweepstake?

1 minute ago, Bills!Win! said:

Rooting for KC to lose their divisional game against the chargers = 4 home games in a row 

Chargers @ JAX ....Jacksonville went to LA and destroyed the Chargers in the regular season.  I know that doesn't mean a whole lot as each game is independent, LAC are a little healthier now, but that may also have been JAX best game of the year.  It will also be Herbert AND Lawerence's playoff debut.  Don't know if one or the other has jitters.  It's not a forgone conclusion that the Chargers advance.  May well be JAX.

Looking at the flow charts I would like the route going NE loss - MIA loss - PIT loss and then circling back that NE becomes the 7th seed.

I am wary of PIT, it will be a super emotional game should it happen with the links to Damar, Tomlin etc - can be both and advantage and a detriment.

I get the feeling that NE will be easier to deal with, then MIA and then PIT. Whoever Buffalo faces I will be confident, NE again in 7 days seems like the most appealing route.

• Like (+1) 1

Best case outcomes for the Bills today: 

Bills Win of course

Jets beat Phins,

Ravens beat Cinci

Chargers beat Denver 

Seeding then are we get Steelers or Pats and Cinci now gets Chargers, which is our easiest draw and Cinci’s toughest draw. Too bad Lamar is out. 

Edited by Locomark

59 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bills fans show up in KC.  It’s been speculated that Indianapolis is neutral sight.  Indy is almost exactly halfway between KC and Buffalo.  Once tickets are on sale- Bills Mafia will be scooping them up.  Sure KC will.  But my $ is always on Bills Mafia!

I saw something in which Indianapolis has already turned down the opportunity to host the AFC Championship Game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

The NFL will be at our back bc of the Hamlin sympathy and storyline.  If we play well, we WILL get the calls.  Play well and the Bills are already Super Bowl Champs!

Unless we play the Chiefs. The league (via the owners' vote) appear to want KC in the Super Bowl. Why else would they give them a first-round bye on a silver platter as they did? As the Bengals coach pointed out, the rule for canceled games was already in place. The league contorted itself to benefit KC, throwing the Bills and Bengals a bone with the neutral-site concession. I don't understand why people aren't more upset. The bye is what is important, not the homefield advantage. The bias is unmistakable.

If I'm missing something, please enlighten me. 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Rooting for KC to lose their divisional game against the chargers = 4 home games in a row 

Lots of people keeping bringing up the neutral site, which makes it sound like everyone is assuming both the Bills and Chiefs make it.  We still have three games to be played before neutral site comes into play. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, finn said:

Unless we play the Chiefs. The league (via the owners' vote) appear to want KC in the Super Bowl. Why else would they give them a first-round bye on a silver platter as they did? As the Bengals coach pointed out, the rule for canceled games was already in place. The league contorted itself to benefit KC, throwing the Bills and Bengals a bone with the neutral-site concession. I don't understand why people aren't more upset. The bye is what is important, not the homefield advantage. The bias is unmistakable.

The shortened Bills/Bengals game is their “bye” I guess.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If we win tomorrow, can’t play another road game

Personally, the Bengals scare me. I don’t think our DB’s can deal with their WR’s, even with zone dropping 7

DBs shmeebees. Haven't you seen all the threads to our secret weapon that takes away throws just by being tall that we need to overpay just for that scenario? 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, finn said:

I don't understand your thought here- if the league didn't "contort" itself KC would have the bye and the home field throughout the playoffs. The change to KC is now if they have to meet the Bills it will be on a neutral field.

Cincy was complaining and didn't want the "contortion" because without the change Cincy would already be the Division winner and have home field advantage.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Home or away, I will be estatic if the Bills get there after all the adversity they have faced this season. Lets go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I don't understand your thought here- if the league didn't "contort" itself KC would have the bye and the home field throughout the playoffs. The change to KC is now if they have to meet the Bills it will be on a neutral field.

Cincy was complaining and didn't want the "contortion" because without the change Cincy would already be the Division winner and have home field advantage.

Ok, that's the flaw of my thinking. I didn't see that KC's win percentage with the extra victory and same number of defeats would be better than the Bills' win percentage. Apologies for not thinking this through myself and thanks for explaining. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, finn said:

There is no conspiracy.  The rule is to go by win%.  If they did that KC still would have the one seed.  Only now, Buff would play KC in Arrowhead.  The rule change benefited the Bills. There was no completely fair outcome.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Indy declined to host it.

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Thanks - that's the one part of the outcome I've struggled to get my head round!

Yes, No Problem. It's so odd. They really should have just done the only real fair solution and resumed the game at some point either this weekend of next. But as the NFL does, money comes first.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.