Week 18: Pats at Bills, Sunday 1/8 1pm

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Loyal BF said:

What we tend to forget is that Bills played only 9 minutes on Monday night.  This is their week off.   And if they get the #1 seed, they would get “week 20” off as well.  

Not a prefect solution, but a lot better than just declaring the game a tie or no contest, and virtually handing the #1 seed to KC.

Of course, KC could do the whole league a favor and lose on Saturday vs the Raiders.  

Give KC the 1 seed. I rather that than give 12 out of 14 playoff teams a bye week. I'm not one bit scare of going to KC in the playoffs. Bad coaching for 13 seconds is the only reason KC was able to win 1 out of the last 3 there.

Monday night was not their "off week" far from it. That was far more draining than any other game they've played in their careers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Give KC the 1 seed. I rather that than give 12 out of 14 playoff teams a bye week. I'm not one bit scare of going to KC in the playoffs. Bad coaching for 13 seconds is the only reason KC was able to win 1 out of the last 3 there.

Monday night was not their "off week" far from it. That was far more draining than any other game they've played in their careers.

I don’t know, I think he’s onto something with that whole “KC losing to the Raiders” thing.      
Let’s do that. 

• Agree 1

Just now, WotAGuy said:

I don’t know, I think he’s onto something with that whole “KC losing to the Raiders” thing.      
Let’s do that. 

We would still need to beat the Pats and Bengals. I don't think the players want to go back to the "scene of the crime" so quickly. Doing so a few weeks into the playoffs, would at least give them the extra time to process everything that's happened. And not give everyone else in the AFC playoffs a bye week that we don't get. Jmo.

In the end it probably doesn't matter either way. They're either going to come out like gang busters and crush everybody or extremely flat and lose.

23 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

We would still need to beat the Pats and Bengals. I don't think the players want to go back to the "scene of the crime" so quickly. Doing so a few weeks into the playoffs, would at least give them the extra time to process everything that's happened. And not give everyone else in the AFC playoffs a bye week that we don't get. Jmo.

In the end it probably doesn't matter either way. They're either going to come out like gang busters and crush everybody or extremely flat and lose.

Not exactly, IF the Rayduhs win Saturday and the Bills beat the Cheats, almost home free for #1. I don’t expect it… but.
If the Ravens further helped out… then home and cooled out.

The Cinci game then becomes irrelevant… to the Bills.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I thought I read in one of these threads that they can just settle the Bengals game with “a coin flip”. Or “lottery”. Let’s do one of those too. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

The Bills should start their first defensive play with 10 players on the field and just Poyer as safety in support of Damar

And Belichick would be like “We’re on to the end zone” and throw a bomb where Hamlin would be. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Do the Bills bring up Cole Beasley for his 3rd and final call up? Or do they save him in case they have to play Cinci week 19?

I'm curious if there is a replay, do the rosters have to remain how they were when the game was suspended? Or can they Bills call up Xavier Rhodes from PS and/or activate/inactivate different players?

32 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

And Belichick would be like “We’re on to the end zone” and throw a bomb where Hamlin would be. 

I think the Redskins did this for Sean Taylor

Edited by Herc11

53 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

I'm curious if there is a replay, do the rosters have to remain how they were when the game was suspended? Or can they Bills call up Xavier Rhodes from PS and/or activate/inactivate different players?

Well, they cut Rhodes today, so guessing that's a no.

In all seriousness, the discussion has been had elsewhere and we're in uncharted territory.  I don't recall a suspended game ever being resumed at a later date, so no idea what the roster rules would be.

I would THINK that, if they were to resume the game, the teams would be limited to who was on the active roster when the game started, but again, that's just my guess and, to the best of my knowledge, there's nothing in the rulebook about it, either.

11 minutes ago, BLeonard said:

Well, they cut Rhodes today, so guessing that's a no.

In all seriousness, the discussion has been had elsewhere and we're in uncharted territory.  I don't recall a suspended game ever being resumed at a later date, so no idea what the roster rules would be.

I would THINK that, if they were to resume the game, the teams would be limited to who was on the active roster when the game started, but again, that's just my guess and, to the best of my knowledge, there's nothing in the rulebook about it, either.

Oh man, didn't see that Rhodes got cut. But still curious how the roster situation would play out. It definitely benefits us if we don't have to carry the same active roster since it will allow us to bring up Marlowe and/or an extra DB.

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

Oh man, didn't see that Rhodes got cut. But still curious how the roster situation would play out. It definitely benefits us if we don't have to carry the same active roster since it will allow us to bring up Marlowe and/or an extra DB.

I don’t think anyone would care or expect both teams to have the same exact roster if the game was replayed at a later date. For one thing, it's not even possible, really. Teams make transactions all the time. Injuries happen. Both teams would need to account for that.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, sven233 said:

If the NFL is going to wait until the games are played this week before making a decision on what to do with Bills/Bengals, they should honestly hope that both the Chiefs and Bengals lose while the Bills win.  This cements the standings and the outcome of that game would mean nothing. 

But also knowing the league, they probably have wanted the Chiefs to be the #1 seed all season.  So, who knows.  In the end, I fully expect the Chiefs to someway, somehow benefit from all this and get the bye.  Just feels like that is the way this is all headed. 

Regardless, with everything that has gone on, and will continue to be going on all week or even longer, I am honestly not sure how we as a team prepare the way we need to in order to win a football game this week.  As bad a team as the Pats* are most of the time, it is a fine line in the NFL in who wins games.  In a normal week, I wouldn't think twice about winning this game.  But this week, I honestly have no idea what is going to happen.  We could come out on fire and win by 30 or we could come out completely disinterested and lose by double digits.  What I fear most, though, are more injuries.  This game is violent enough when playing 100% focused.  I can't imagine trying to play the game with so many thoughts elsewhere.  It's a real tough spot for us for sure.

Terrible.

The league has stated they are working through scenarios, but are more concerned with Hamlin at this time - they have also been in discussion with the Bills about the mental health of the team and how they want to proceed.

There is absolutely no scenario that the Bills/Bengals game doesn’t have impact.  The one you suggested then impacts both the Ravens and Bengals for the division.

The fact that the NFL is considering allowing the game to be a potential no contest tells me exactly how shaken up both the Bills and Bengals are.  I don’t think the league has the least bit of care whether KC is the #1 seed and I doubt that factors in at all - as a matter of fact I would 100% bet the NFL would prefer the Bills/Bengals game get played, but they recognize that logistically and mentally that can not happen at this time so they are choosing the other alternative.

No decision was perfect and someone got the short end and someone got a slight benefit in EVERY scenario- so I will be fine when this part of the saga is over and hopefully we get some good news on Hamlin and everything can return to some semblance of normal for these guys.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I thought I read in one of these threads that they can just settle the Bengals game with “a coin flip”. Or “lottery”. Let’s do one of those too. 

Those are not options in the NFL rule book.

Only options are complete the game or call it a no contest and move to winning percentage.

It will be one of those 2 options and my guess is even though it lessens their overall chances - I think both the Bills and Bengals want that game gone.

4 hours ago, Herc11 said:

I think for this reason alone they would have to restart the game and treat it as a fully new game.

• Disagree 2

I thought the league was going to play week 18 as is this weekend.

Next weekend play the 3 NFC WC games along with the Bills - Bengals. No AFC playoffs.

Then after that play the AFC WC games. No NFC playoffs.

Then return to normal with divisional round followed by the AFC/NFC championship games.

No bye week so 7 days later Super Bowl.

5 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I thought the league was going to play week 18 as is this weekend.

Next weekend play the 3 NFC WC games along with the Bills - Bengals. No AFC playoffs.

Then after that play the AFC WC games. No NFC playoffs.

Then return to normal with divisional round followed by the AFC/NFC championship games.

No bye week so 7 days later Super Bowl.

That was one of the options on the table but never agreed to.  There could have been 20 options and that one may have been last.  Ultimately the Bills will have the main input in how this will be determined...and the Bengals said they will be fine with whatever Buffalo wants to do.  

• Like (+1) 1

If Bills win, Bengals lose and Raiders beat Chiefs, Bills could just forfeit the game. We'd be top seed, Bengals 2 and Chiefs 3. Ravens might be upset about losing division but I don't think anyone else would be too angry. 

Otherwise I think you have to play the game. 

Edited by Lothar

10 minutes ago, Lothar said:

If Bills win, Bengals lose and Raiders beat Chiefs, Bills could just forfeit the game. We'd be top seed, Bengals 2 and Chiefs 3. Ravens might be upset about losing division but I don't think anyone else would be too angry. 

Otherwise I think you have to play the game. 

No, I don't think so.  The problem is that the loser of the Bills Bengals game will be placed at a disadvantage as the 2 or 3 seed.  The lower seeded teams all get a week off, which is a huge advantage and not earned.  Teams with such good records at the Bills and Bengals should not be so disadvantaged.  Better to skip the game and end up with a slightly lower seed.  Bengals would only have shot at #1 seed if KC loses in any event.

Windfall for KC if they beat Raiders and get #1 seed.  Maybe depending how other week 18 games shake out.   But I think Bills would take #2 seed than have to go back to Cincinnati.  Just my opinion.

8 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

The Bills should start their first defensive play with 10 players on the field and just Poyer as safety in support of Damar

I predict instead, first time we drive down the field, assuming it gets to 1st and goal, we kick a FG on first down to put 3 on the board first in honor of Damar. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Frankly I was hoping for the players to not have to deal with the media this week

I’ll assume it’s only players who want to talk. I’ll expect Allen, maybe morse. I’m not expecting anyone from the secondary even though poyer might be able to do it. I’m not sure about diggs. 

1 minute ago, BobBelcher said:

I predict instead, first time we drive down the field, assuming it gets to 1st and goal, we kick a FG on first down to put 3 on the board first in honor of Damar. 

They won't do that. What they will probably do (and I bet every team does it) is wear a #3 patch on their helmets. 

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Those are not options in the NFL rule book.

Only options are complete the game or call it a no contest and move to winning percentage.

It will be one of those 2 options and my guess is even though it lessens their overall chances - I think both the Bills and Bengals want that game gone.

I think for this reason alone they would have to restart the game and treat it as a fully new game.

I believe the rule book says that the NFL Commissioner can do as he sees fit during emergencies. 

Meaning nothing is off the table in terms of how to deal with this uncharted territory. 

Edited by Motorin'

8 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

They’ve done this sort of thing before. The offense takes a delay of game and the defense declines the penalty.

43 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It's going to happen at some point.  Might as well be now and not playoff time.

I mean, they could have at least waited until next week. Maybe some players want to talk to the media.

41 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

This isn’t a preseason game.  Predict it, but it is not going to happen. 

This is what I am worried about...exactly what the team official talks about below...that the Bills emotional energy tank was almost on E even prior to the Hamlin tragedy happening from all of the energy they have expended this season and they simply might not have anything left in the tank after that...and honestly, who could blame them.  They are not robots.

https://kvia.com/sports/cnn-sports/2023/01/04/buffalo-bills-player-dion-dawkins-describes-moment-he-realized-something-is-really-really-wrong-after-damar-hamlins-collapse/

image.thumb.png.7fd23eb66747f69e33eeec9d615031b9.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.