Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

For the non-championship playoff games.  Use seeding for that.

What's the difference? I don't see any reason to change it. The Super Bowl is the big event, the big party, like the World Cup, or the Olympics that cities want a chance to host.

If marketed right, a Bills vs Bengals AFC Championship Game at a neutral site could put up record ratings numbers, maybe even comparable to low-end Super Bowls! 

I don't know why that thought is going through my head right now, but I bet if I had the thought, some NFL execs certainly did as well

2 hours ago, Caesar said:

We are more pissed about the Chiefs, but the way the game was going many felt like we were in the drivers seat for our game.  Of course Josh and this team could have come back but your defense wasn't looking good and losing players, we thought we had a great chance.

It's not like our offense had trouble moving the ball either.

But I find it wild that you just watched the Bengals be down 17-3 at halftime against the Bucs & overcome it, then watch them be up 22-0 at half & nearly lose it, yet somehow believe Bengals were in cruise control for the rest of the game... We just saw a team down 33-0 at halftime win, but you believe PART of ONE quarter is indicative of how an entire game would play out?

I dunno man, I get being confident, but the Bills weren't #1 in the conference for no reason. Bills lost 3 games all season, by a COMBINED 8 points. That's it. Yet reading your posts on the Bengals board, you make it sound as if it was heading towards a beatdown. 

Trust me, I'd also have loved to see how that game plays out. But there's 0 chance it was leading to an a**whooping. A Bengals win? Sure. But Bengals steamrolling the Bills? No chance.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Not zero at all. I could see them playing it in Nashville. It's a good fit geographically.

I could see Sofi. It's as nuetral as it gets, it's the new shining star of the nfl, with great weather, networks love when they can pan the camera over to a random Hollywood star. Plus rams are out and I don't think the chargers have a path to host.

I'm ok with this as long as they also decide not to strip us of the #1 seed with no recourse. This assumes that we beat NE. It shouldn't matter what KC does with the Raiders. It's fair and the NFL is in full control. They made the decisions up to this point. Their work is not yet finished. Do the right thing Goodell.

On 1/3/2023 at 2:39 AM, zow2 said:

Not resuming the game is as much of a no-brainer as postponing the game last night. I expect them to announce a tie, no contest or something similar. They will figure out who gets seeded where based on week 18 results...and some team(s) fans may not be happy but the NFL will do the best they can. And every team and fanbase involved will live with it and be OK. 

I won't be ok with it if the league doubles down on us. Not at all. They need to do the right thing.

17 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

It's not like our offense had trouble moving the ball either.

But I find it wild that you just watched the Bengals be down 17-3 at halftime against the Bucs & overcome it, then watch them be up 22-0 at half & nearly lose it, yet somehow believe Bengals were in cruise control for the rest of the game... We just saw a team down 33-0 at halftime win, but you believe PART of ONE quarter is indicative of how an entire game would play out?

I dunno man, I get being confident, but the Bills weren't #1 in the conference for no reason. Bills lost 3 games all season, by a COMBINED 8 points. That's it. Yet reading your posts on the Bengals board, you make it sound as if it was heading towards a beatdown. 

Trust me, I'd also have loved to see how that game plays out. But there's 0 chance it was leading to an a**whooping. A Bengals win? Sure. But Bengals steamrolling the Bills? No chance.

You really had me until the last paragraph. While the 3 examples you've cited favor game scripts that flipped, we can't therefore throw around certainties that the game-in-progress would or would NOT have gone ANY particular way based on the game script of the 1st 1/7th. That's just being ridiculous. 

*While the Bills usually sort themselves out after the first couple defensive drives, there is no reason why a hungry, talented Bengals team at home with an early lead (and playing cowardly for keeps...Trey Hendrickson) wouldn't at least have the 57% chance of victory that the analytics suggested upon the game's suspension. 

3 hours ago, Caesar said:

We are more pissed about the Chiefs, but the way the game was going many felt like we were in the drivers seat for our game.  Of course Josh and this team could have come back but your defense wasn't looking good and losing players, we thought we had a great chance.

Bills would’ve adjusted. The Bills aren’t a blitzing team but sent the house early which lead to a couple big plays on the 1st drive. The TD was a great route combo and the Bills got fooled. Doesn’t happen again to that team.

Josh Allen was on. They had the miss to Beasley that prevented the TD but I’ve seen that prime time Josh before. When he comes out like that he’s going to score a lot of points.

There were posts earlier that said that if the Bills lose and the Bengals win, with both team finishing at 12-4, the Bills would win the tiebreaker and get the #2 seed.  On the NFL's announcement of what outcomes could come from Sunday's games, that's not the case.  

According to NFL Research:

The Bengals have clinched the AFC North (Ravens cannot win the division).

The Bengals can no longer obtain the AFC's No. 1 seed and first-round bye.

The Chiefs clinch the No. 1 seed with a win at the Raiders or a Bills loss vs. the Patriots.

The Bills clinch the No. 1 seed with a win vs. the Patriots + a Chiefs loss at the Raiders.

The Bengals will finish as the No. 2 seed with a win vs. the Ravens + a Bills loss to the Patriots. In any other scenario, the Bengals will earn the No. 3 seed.

Previously the Ravens had a shot at winning the AFCN, and would have been highly motivated.  Not now.  And the Patriots are highly motivated since their chance at being in the playoffs depends on beating the Bills.  

The impact of getting the 2 seed is, we lose the bye, and our competition in the second round gets tougher.  But we still have home playoff games before a possible neutral site -- no trip to KC, no replay of last year when we beat KC in the regular season and lost in the playoff at KC.  

Wild Card round: 2 (Bills) plays 7 and wins.  3 (Bengals) plays 6 and wins.  4 (Jags) vs 5 is very interesting but the outcome doesn't affect the next round.

Division round: 1 (Chiefs) plays 4/5 and wins.  2 plays 3 IN BUFFALO.  

AFCCG:  1 plays 2 somewhere else.

So the importance of beating the Pats is to have that second round game in Buffalo instead of in Cinci. 

The Chiefs get the 1 seed with the bye and the easier division round game despite losing to both Buffalo and Cincinnati in the regular season. 

We now see how much that damned fumble against the Vikings hurt us.

1 hour ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I could see Sofi. It's as nuetral as it gets, it's the new shining star of the nfl, with great weather, networks love when they can pan the camera over to a random Hollywood star. Plus rams are out and I don't think the chargers have a path to host.

The neutral site would only come into play if two of the Chiefs or Bills or Bengals play.  Personally I'd like the game moved to Miami, to rub their noses in it.

Edited by Utah John

2 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Man I hate this 7 team single bye setup.

So add an 8th team to the AFC playoffs.  Then no team gets a bye.  

Why not?  There's money to be made, and another team gets some glory.  Maybe they'd even have a winning record. 

54 minutes ago, Utah John said:

There were posts earlier that said that if the Bills lose and the Bengals win, with both team finishing at 12-4, the Bills would win the tiebreaker and get the #2 seed.  On the NFL's announcement of what outcomes could come from Sunday's games, that's not the case.  

Those posts were wrong.  Bengals own the tie breaker with strength of victory.  They're currently at .483 and we're at .479.  There's no way for the Bills to top the Bengals in this category in week 18.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Process said:

There is no neutral site for bills Cinci. The proposal only applies to teams that played a different number of games. 

If Bills Cinci are 2 3, it's impossible for them to meet in the AFCCG. 

If bills get the 1 seed and it's bills Cinci in the AFCCG, game is in Buffalo 

I guess I'm late to the party and someone already corrected you, but it is possible for 2 and 3 seed to meet each other in AFCCG. It involves seed 1 losing divisional.

EDIT: Nevermind you're right and I am wrong. I confused myself somehow lol 

Edited by No_Matter_What

13 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I guess I'm late to the party and someone already corrected you, but it is possible for 2 and 3 seed to meet each other in AFCCG. It involves seed 1 losing divisional.

If 1 loses to winner of 4/5, the team that beat them will play the winner of 2 vs 3 in AFCCh, assuming 2 and 3 won in 1st round. 

2 vs 3 is not an AFCC possibility.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.