Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

I don’t like it. Far too much advantage given to the number one seed which won’t have been truly earned. Then again, into be fair to both conferences, I presume the likes of the Eagles, Cowboys and 49ers pushed back against against any kind of change to the AFC which would affect the NFC, and the AFC refused to make any alterations which would put them at an even greater disadvantage over the NFC.

Despite “Pray for Damar” and changing stadium colours, the truth is, at ownership level, the NFL never has been about supporting one another; it’s just been about what benefits each individual franchise and that alone.

To be petty, if the Bills wanted a greater shot at the number one seed perhaps they shouldn’t have crumbled against the Jets or the Vikings. If the Bengals wanted a greater shot at the number one seed perhaps they shouldn’t have been defeated by average to poor teams in the Steelers and Browns. The Chiefs only had one ‘poor’ defeat this year and that is ultimately the difference now.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

To be petty, if the Bills wanted a greater shot at the number one seed perhaps they shouldn’t have crumbled against the Jets or the Vikings. If the Bengals wanted a greater shot at the number one seed perhaps they shouldn’t have been defeated by average to poor teams in the Steelers and Browns. The Chiefs only had one ‘poor’ defeat this year and that is ultimately the difference now.

This might very well be the clearest argument I’ve read.  Although it could be argued that losing to the Vikings wasn’t a “poor” defeat. The way it happened was poor, yes, but the Vikings have 12 wins. You can’t compare that to losing to the Colts. 

still… no fumble on the goal line and this entire conversation isn’t even happening. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Airseven said:

So you’re taking two wins against this gauntlet of an AFC for granted? Just skipping right ahead to the conference championship game? That is an absurd way to spin this.

Just like all those people that said “13 seconds “. cost us a championship.  Win that game and you still had to play Cinn. and then the Rams.

3 minutes ago, BRH said:

This might very well be the clearest argument I’ve read.  Although it could be argued that losing to the Vikings wasn’t a “poor” defeat. The way it happened was poor, yes, but the Vikings have 12 wins. You can’t compare that to losing to the Colts. 

still… no fumble on the goal line and this entire conversation isn’t even happening. 

More the manner of the defeat to the Vikings, yes, though outside Jefferson and maybe Thielin, they’re average at best who have scraped home due to risk plays paying off and opposition errors more than often this year. Wouldn’t be at all shocked if they were one and done in the play offs.

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

Love how people think because they walked down the field on first drive they are gonna stomp the Bills. That ***** happens to us every ***** game. 

Bengals were the hottest team the Bills faced. It’s not the same as the Bears scoring on their scripted drive. Bengals talent was overwhelming.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Bengals were the hottest team the Bills faced. It’s not the same as the Bears scoring on their scripted drive. Bengals talent was overwhelming.

Remind me what happened to the Bengals against the Pats after they looked hot in the first half?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

The NFL have done well here, IMHO.

Also - just from a football point of view - it might be a good result for the Bills. Still feels a *little* bit off talking about it in light of what's happened. BUT. 

If Bills lose the No1 seed - they will still have played one game fewer. So the playing field is levelled somewhat on that account. Plus, if we make it to the championship game, a neutral venue might actually suit our game a bit more. Allow the pass a bit more. 

Never easy, obviously. But, football wise, it could have been worse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, LondonBill said:

The NFL have done well here, IMHO.

Also - just from a football point of view - it might be a good result for the Bills. Still feels a *little* bit off talking about it in light of what's happened. BUT. 

If Bills lose the No1 seed - they will still have played one game fewer. So the playing field is levelled somewhat on that account. Plus, if we make it to the championship game, a neutral venue might actually suit our game a bit more. Allow the pass a bit more. 

Never easy, obviously. But, football wise, it could have been worse.

The Chiefs have benefited the most, the Bills the second most. The Bengals have been screwed over where a couple of tweaks would make it slightly fairer on them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NUT said:

IMO the Bills were going to lose that Bengals game.

The Bills have just not been playing well enough lately to be a true SB champion. We'll see what happens on Sunday but I don't expect some rallying great cry which brings their level of play back to what it was at the start of the season.

They are still too close to the incident. Players like Tre White are just not going to be mentally ready.

The Bills are still better than the Pats, and they came within a stupid fumble of taking the lead against the Bengals with very little time left, albeit I appreciate playing away from the Jungle is different for them.

The probability is that the Bengals would have beaten the Bills but no one can say that for certain.

The Bengals beating us? It's possible. But it's also possible that we beat the Bengals. There are 2 sides to a coin.

We should look at the cancelled game like this: The Bills got a peak at the Bengals' game plan offensively and defensively. Just a tiny glimpse. Maybe that's good enough for us to examine before we face them again.

For sure, we can't play JaMarr Chase vs. Tre White straight up ever again. That's totally different next time.

• Like (+1) 2

The bengals few drives showed is we definitely aren’t safe at CB here. Those WRs were abusing our secondary. I personally think the answer is getting Elam out there. Maybe we can get a combination of Tre/Elam/Bedford rolling on the outside with Taron back hopefully. Tre isn’t where he was pre injury but I still want him out there. I’d start putting Elam on a teams #1 and Tre on the other guy with help. I’d try seeing what Dane Jackson has at S because he’s a good physical tackler with decent instincts but his ball skills aren’t there to play corner. Maybe he can be a guy to fill in Hamlins role for a bit. I just need him out of the equation at CB. He’s probably our 5th best Corner and he’s starting every game. Come on now. It might not hurt us horribly against NE but the chargers bengals and chiefs are going to light us up like a Christmas tree with him out there. You got to get Elam on the field. He’s a first round pick with seemingly excellent coverage ability.

7 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Still, the Bengals never controlled their destiny in that scenario. It would have still been dependent on the Chiefs. On the other hand, the Bills could very well end the season having been the #1 seed for the last month of the season, won every game they played, and still finish as the #2 seed and miss out on the bye. The only carrot they are offered is, you don't have to go to KC for the n-teenth time in a row in the playoffs. But KC still gets to rest up on the bye week, and still doesn't have to play an away playoff game for the first time in the Mahomes era.

The Bills control of their own destiny was taken and given to KC as a result of the cancellation. The Bills did everything they could possibly be expected to do to secure the bye and home field, but are denied the reward, which is now gifted to the Chiefs like another one of those convenient flags on marginal plays at critical times. That's gotta be as harsh as anything Cinci is arguing IMO.

Right and even then I don't want the neutral field either if the Chiefs have the winning percentage. Its not righting the inequity of not playing the Bengals/Bills game, its saying "hey chiefs won but we feel bad so the chiefs dont get ALL the benefits of the 1st seed" which doesn't fly with me. If we would have lost the Bengals game, the Chiefs would rightly have it and if we had won, we would rightly have it. 

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The bengals few drives showed is we definitely aren’t safe at CB here. Those WRs were abusing our secondary. I personally think the answer is getting Elam out there. Maybe we can get a combination of Tre/Elam/Bedford rolling on the outside with Taron back hopefully. Tre isn’t where he was pre injury but I still want him out there. I’d start putting Elam on a teams #1 and Tre on the other guy with help. I’d try seeing what Dane Jackson has at S because he’s a good physical tackler with decent instincts but his ball skills aren’t there to play corner. Maybe he can be a guy to fill in Hamlins role for a bit. I just need him out of the equation at CB. He’s probably our 5th best Corner and he’s starting every game. Come on now. It might not hurt us horribly against NE but the chargers bengals and chiefs are going to light us up like a Christmas tree with him out there. You got to get Elam on the field. He’s a first round pick with seemingly excellent coverage ability.

The Bengals have a three headed monster at WR that makes it difficult for everybody. Probably the best WR group the Bills have faced this year and that includes Miami and KC. Add in Mixon in the backfield along with a QB as good as Burrow and it's very difficult to stop.

8 hours ago, Caesar said:

Keep thinking the Bengals did not own the Bucs or Patriots.  Their offense was absolutely running through the Bills defense before losing 2 DBs (prayers for both).  This uninformed comment simply reveals you didnt watch either game.  Im guessing you were not watching Monday either.

No it is a coin flip to determine home field.  1st time ever a division winner and Top 4 seed has to play on the road the first playoff game.  This is awful for the Bengals.

What part is good for Cincy?  It is awful for them.

How did I not watch either game? I live in Cincinnati. It’s the game on my TV every week. Your arrogance is exactly the point of my post that you quoted. The entire city of Cincinnati feels like the regular season and playoffs is an insignificant preamble to a return trip to the SB where they can right a wrong.  They’ve already asked for the Wednesday after the SB off from their job at Kroger or P&G to go to the parade.It’s a confidence that I wish Bills fans had. We, on the other hand, dissect double-digit wins to the point where they feel like losses and want to fire our coach. Gotta run. I have to take my car into Fairfield VW to see if they’ll finally fix it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Remind me what happened to the Bengals against the Pats after they looked hot in the first half?

Yes, we’d have to hope the Bengals started making mistakes and shooting themselves in the feet. But those weren’t good odds.

• Eyeroll 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.