Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

6 hours ago, Caesar said:

My arrogance?  Lol, everyone on this site treats the Bengals like 2nd class citizens as if last year was a fluke and luck.... I'm sorry you are so fanboyed that you couldn't see the Bengals offensive power vs the Bills defense.  No doubt Josh would get his, but with the Bills not having over half their secondary the Bengals D would most likely get a couple more stops, a couple more FGs instead of TDs. 

You guys now have the home game and the neutral championship game, you almost have to go to the SB with all that.

Why do you think we cant beat the Ravens?  And I can easily tell you how Buffalo was most likely beat on Monday.

It’s a Buffalo Bills message board.

They sound upset. Or at least that’s my interpretation from their anonymous leaking of info to Florio. Here is a portion of the text: 

”At least one player heard Bills coach Sean McDermott say that the Bills would not continue, even if it meant forfeiting the game… One player heard Bengals coach Zac Taylor offer to resume the game on Tuesday. Bengals players generally accepted the prospect of a one-day delay.

But then the Bills left Cincinnati.

Multiple Bengals players were confused by that development as it occurred.

On one hand, they were sensitive to the situation involving Damar Hamlin. On the other hand, they fully realized the stakes of the game. They wanted to get it played.

The truth also seems to be that, if the Bengals had known the game wouldn’t be finished at all and that the rules would later change to make it harder for them to realize a favorable playoff seed, they wouldn’t have been quite as accommodating of the Bills.“

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/07/on-monday-night-bengals-were-told-game-will-resume-in-10-minutes/

Edited by Einstein

• Einstein changed the title to PFT: Some new info on how the game was suspended and the Bengals reactions
1 minute ago, Doc said:

Oh well.  The Bills gave up the chance at the #1 seed.

Sounds like the Bengals organization were okay with suspending the game but did not expect the Bills to get on a plane that night and not play at all.

Just now, chongli said:

This was also being discussed yesterday here:

Darn. Sorry. One issue with 5 billion page threads is articles get lost within all those pages. Thanks for letting me know.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Sounds like the Bengals organization were okay with suspending the game but did not expect the Bills to get on a plane that night and not play at all.

Darn. Sorry. One issue with 5 billion page threads is articles get lost within all those pages. Thanks for letting me know.

You know, I've done the same thing too. No need to apologize. I also don't think you can search for tweets in the search function, which I posted. Plus, there are so many posts and threads about this.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

I look at it this way.  A player literally died on the field.  Heart stopped, stopped breathing...  Thankfully, he survived.  Whatever the seeding becomes, who cares.  Football is back and everyone gets to watch and play if they so choose to.  The seeding is a small price to pay considering what happened on that day.  Now is the time to use the cliche "man up".  It is what it is, go play the game and win, don't sweat the small stuff.  If the worst case with Damar occurred no one would be second guessing the seeding.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Joe Burrow said in one of his interviews that a number of players did NOT want to play the game.  I suspect there were mixed emotions and that now with the rules changed a lot of second-guessing.

This revisionist history of the game and events after are amazing. I appreciate @Caesar trying to bend the mind that the game could have leaned one way or another. I appreciate both sides trying to fit the game to their narrative but no one knows what would have happened. If the game was determined by stats we would never see half of what we do on Sundays.

all I can guess is Buffalo gets better during the game at a ridiculously high exponential rate. Cincinnati was being chewed up by TOP on defense. The Bills have underrated depth on defense but the DBs were weakened. The Bengals have potential for a death by 1000 cuts by all their weapons and the trashy ass bum Mixon.

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

What were the Bills to do? Securing a hotel in an hour and suspending all logistics for travel to get a hotel at 1am would have been a huge task. A hotel for roughly 100 people, I think it's 130 people travel with the team that are needed. That doesn't include the prefab people and the others that are equipment tasked.

There was almost no way the Bills could have done this without a LOT of stress. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, phypon said:

I look at it this way.  A player literally died on the field.  Heart stopped, stopped breathing...  Thankfully, he survived.  Whatever the seeding becomes, who cares.  Football is back and everyone gets to watch and play if they so choose to.  The seeding is a small price to pay considering what happened on that day.  Now is the time to use the cliche "man up".  It is what it is, go play the game and win, don't sweat the small stuff.  If the worst case with Damar occurred no one would be second guessing the seeding.

First thing that matters - damar 

second thing - go out and win 

7 hours ago, Caesar said:

My arrogance?  Lol, everyone on this site treats the Bengals like 2nd class citizens as if last year was a fluke and luck.... I'm sorry you are so fanboyed that you couldn't see the Bengals offensive power vs the Bills defense.  No doubt Josh would get his, but with the Bills not having over half their secondary the Bengals D would most likely get a couple more stops, a couple more FGs instead of TDs. 

You guys now have the home game and the neutral championship game, you almost have to go to the SB with all that.

Why do you think we cant beat the Ravens?  And I can easily tell you how Buffalo was most likely beat on Monday.

#1) Bengals got screwed by the league, Buffalo had nothing to do with that. I would have been fine with a forfeit or coin flip considering the circumstances 

#2) There’s a lot of respect on this board for Cinci even before the events of Monday

#3) You have very thin skin and come across kind of douchey on an opponents message board

• Like (+1) 3

Can someone explain something to me.

If Buffalo meets Cincy in the Divisional round is it in Buffalo or a neutral site? In the spirit of what the league was doing with the "what ifs" for the AFC Championship game in terms of neutral site I guess I just figured if Buffalo and Cincy won in week 18 and both won in WC weekend the game would be played on a neutral site since Cincy might have been the 2 seed if they beat Buffalo on Monday.

Is that what's happening? Neutral game in the Divisional round if the 2 teams meet? All the talking heads on TV make it sound like it's in Buffalo.

If it's not a neutral site, I can definitely understand the Bengals being upset.

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If Buffalo meets Cincy in the Divisional round is it in Buffalo or a neutral site? In the spirit of what the league was doing with the "what ifs" for the AFC Championship game in terms of neutral site I guess I just figured if Buffalo and Cincy won in week 18 and both won in WC weekend the game would be played on a neutral site since Cincy might have been the 2 seed if they beat Buffalo on Monday.

Is that what's happening? Neutral game in the Divisional round if the 2 teams meet? All the talking heads on TV make it sound like it's in Buffalo.

If it's not a neutral site, I can definitely understand the Bengals being upset.

we are the 2, so yes it would be here and I understand Bengals frustration if that happens…but they lost 4 games we lost 3

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Bills and Bengals both played the same number of games, so neutral site does not come into play.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

we are the 2, so yes it would be here and I understand Bengals frustration if that happens…but they lost 4 games we lost 3

23 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Bills and Bengals both played the same number of games, so neutral site does not come into play.  

Thanks for the clarification. Interesting. Can definitely see why they would be upset. 

Okay... can anyone tell me then why it would've been a coin toss for the Ravens and Bengals for next week if the Ravens won today but there's not something similar for Bills and Bengals if both win on Saturday? 

Just trying to understand 

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Thanks for the clarification. Interesting. Can definitely see why they would be upset. 

Okay... can anyone tell me then why it would've been a coin toss for the Ravens and Bengals for next week if the Ravens won today but there's not something similar for Bills and Bengals if both win on Saturday? 

Because the Ravens could have won the division of Cincy lost both games.

Since they didn't finish the bills game that was the fairest way they could figure to decide who would be host.

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's about the number of games played 16 vs 16 is the same, acting like the game was never scheduled

Any tie break between 16 and 17 became a neutral site 

The Bengals ravens had a coin toss because if the ravens won they would have swept the division winner and the league wanted to make that "fair" but honestly probably just wanted to make sure both teams played as many starters as possible today

Per Peter King:

"The vote to approve the proposal was 25 in favor (24 were needed for a three-quarters approval), four abstentions, three no votes. Kansas City, Buffalo, Las Vegas and the Chargers abstained. Cincinnati, Miami and Chicago voted no—all, presumably, on the basis of being against changing a rule eight days before the playoffs begin."

The proposal was all good for Buffalo, and abstaining had the same effect as a no vote. I think it was pretty classy of Buffalo to basically say, this helps us so we are not going to be part of the number needed to make it happen. It potentially hurts the Chiefs since if they used the old rules where it is based on percentage .. they would have hosted us if we meet in the AFC Campionship.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.