Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

25 minutes ago, Dan said:

Am I the only one that thinks the nfl found the most convoluted solution possible?   I think they figure if no one understands it, then we’ll all assume its fair.  

I actually think it makes a ton of sense after parsing it all out.  I'm impressed even.  It does the least amount of damage possible.  I think the only messy bit is if Baltimore beats Cincinnati and they happen to meet again in the playoffs.  Having home-field advantage come down to a coin toss won't feel great.  I bet the NFL is praying this situation doesn't happen.

2 minutes ago, ImpactCorey said:

I actually think it makes a ton of sense after parsing it all out.  I'm impressed even.  It does the least amount of damage possible.  I think the only messy bit is if Baltimore beats Cincinnati and they happen to meet again in the playoffs.  Having home-field advantage come down to a coin toss won't feel great.  I bet the NFL is praying this situation doesn't happen.

If you say so.  LOL. 

25 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Good point.  Very few teams have ever rallied to recover from a 7-3 first quarter deficit.  We totally got bailed out.

Absolutely.

When the Bengals were down to the Bucs 17-3 at the half, they were TOTALLY in control of the game and anyone who thinks differently just wasn't watching.   

26 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

Are Chiefs fans really this dense? After watching their teammate and Brother die on the field, the only thing the Bills coaching staff was thinking about was.............. how can we screw over the Chiefs................gmfb, that's about as dumb as those who are 100% certain the Bills were "about to get blown out".

In fact, unless I mis-heard, McDermott said the playoff implications if the NFL held that the Bills L were discussed at the time on Monday night and....everyone said "don't care, all we care about right now is Damar, we don't want to play the game".

51 minutes ago, Dan said:

Am I the only one that thinks the nfl found the most convoluted solution possible?   I think they figure if no one understands it, then we’ll all assume its fair.  

Bills/Bengals should be played. Alas here we are.

Rather than a structural change, they offered case-by-case solutions. I mean, I guess that was one way of approaching it.

It’s best to allow this weekend’s games to play out and then revisit this silliness on Sunday night.

Edited by Airseven

2 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

If we win and KC loses this week, do we get the 1 seed. KC the 2. Meaning, we get a bye and host KC in a potential AFC title game?

KC would have 4 loses. We have 3. So even if we lost the Bengals game, our record would be better than KC due to head to head.

Yes

1 minute ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

If we win and KC loses this week, do we get the 1 seed. KC the 2. Meaning, we get a bye and host KC in a potential AFC title game?

KC would have 4 loses. We have 3. So even if we lost the Bengals game, our record would be better than KC due to head to head.

I would think so because even if we lost to the Bengals, the Chiefs would still need to beat the Raiders to assure them of the 1 seed.

4 hours ago, NUT said:

IMO the Bills were going to lose that Bengals game.

The Bills have just not been playing well enough lately to be a true SB champion. We'll see what happens on Sunday but I don't expect some great rallying cry which brings their level of play back to what it was at the start of the season.

They are still too close to the incident. Players like Tre White are just not going to be mentally ready.

I honestly don't think Tre is the Tre we know, either mentally or physically.  The Bengals' first play exposed him. He's out there doing his best but a great receiver will beat him one on one.

The Bills have a serious DB problem, and they'll be fortunate if someone else beats Cinci.  I think the Bills match up better against the Chiefs.  And there's no way any other team should be able to beat them in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

Made the mistake of checking out the Chiefs board to see their thoughts.  As usual,  they’re mostly all scumbags.  Some saying Bills chose not to play for this reason and the NFL is screwing KC on purpose.

The Chiefs don't have a leg to stand on. They lost to BOTH Cincy and Buffalo. That's not how seedings are decided - but they can hardly claim that they're being denied what is rightfully theirs.

Gotta say - the attitude around the internet & w/ the other fanbases has really shifted over the past day. I'm seeing a lot more of "it was the Bills decision to quit - they should forfeit!"  I mean, I don't have to tell fans here, but I don't think either team was ready to go back and play the rest of that game.  And as a result, this whole thing is an NFL problem - not a Bills or Bengals problem.  

I've even seen a sentiment that the Bills shouldn't be allowed in the playoffs now - more than a few times.  

20 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Bills/Bengals should be played. Alas here we are.

Rather than a structural change, they offered case-by-case solutions. I mean, I guess that was one way of approaching it.

It’s best to allow this weekend’s games to play out and then revisit this silliness on Sunday night.

I don’t know that it had to be played, but they did need to determine a “winner” for the playoff ramifications.  Hence a simple coin flip or use win percentage, as many suggested was already the plan during 2020. 

i can’t see the logic in the current proposed and being discussed group of convoluted scenarios.  Would a coin flip be the most fair solution for the Bills and Bengals? Maybe not, but it was their decisions not to play the game ...a decision I 100% support.. that lead to the “coin flip” result. 

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

The Chiefs don't have a leg to stand on. They lost to BOTH Cincy and Buffalo. That's not how seedings are decided - but they can hardly claim that they're being denied what is rightfully theirs.

Gotta say - the attitude around the internet & w/ the other fanbases has really shifted over the past day. I'm seeing a lot more of "it was the Bills decision to quit - they should forfeit!"  I mean, I don't have to tell fans here, but I don't think either team was ready to go back and play the rest of that game.  And as a result, this whole thing is an NFL problem - not a Bills or Bengals problem.  

I've even seen a sentiment that the Bills shouldn't be allowed in the playoffs now - more than a few times.  

It's crazy how literally everything I have read and heard says that stopping that game was the right thing to do. I have to say that I am not very surprised to now start hearing people dog on the Bills for not continuing. "Prayer for Hamlin". "Rally around Buffalo" but only until you feel like your team is getting screwed. It's all two faced to me. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buddy Hix said:

With Tre getting cooked and both Taron and Hamlin out, the Bengals marching for another score to go up 14-3, I find it funny to see so many Mafia acting like the Bengals were not well on their way to winning that game. I despise KC (mostly because of their success and ending the Bills season the last two years), but their fans are rightfully pissed.

It’s fair to say I’m not sure we would’ve stopped them defensively. On the other hand we also went right down the field on our only drive too we just didn’t punch it in. We also would’ve had the ball after half, so to just assume we would’ve lost is wrong but we were def in trouble defensively 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Err, you might be. They found the simplest solution possible IMO, with a slightly added wrinkle in terms of the potential unfairness to the Ravens. 

I think it is the fairest solution in the circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

we would need similar stats to showcase that we would then be able to score.

i know at one point we led the league in double dips with points before and after halftime.

We are still the best team in the league point differential inside the final 2 minutes of first halves. The Bills have been exceptional in 1st half two minute situations. Their game management and clock management in those situations has been very, very good. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NUT said:

This whole thing will cause consternation among NFL fans in the AFC who were playoff affected and the farther we get from the incident I think the more hate from other fanbases the Bills will receive.

I feel McDermott did the right thing when he said he should not continue coaching the game. I also think over time this will be seen as him forfeiting the game and taking a loss.

Did you just wake up in a bad mood today?   Not get enough coffee?   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.