Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

This is exactly why they can’t just pretend the game never happened, it becomes a 17 vs 16 game schedule.  They either have to play the game or the Bills have to forfeit.   Otherwise it screws too many things up.  I think it’s going to end up in a forfeit and that’s all they can do.  The Bills will be locked to the 3 seed, assuming KC beats the Raiders, they can forfeit the NE game if they want, at very least the starters aren’t playing.

I hadn’t thought of that. The Bills could actually forfeit both of the last two games and still have the 3 seed. I’m not saying that’s what they should do but it’s an interesting position to be in. What does that do to the Patriots? Does it give them an automatic berth?

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

This is exactly why they can’t just pretend the game never happened, it becomes a 17 vs 16 game schedule.  They either have to play the game or the Bills have to forfeit.   Otherwise it screws too many things up.  I think it’s going to end up in a forfeit and that’s all they can do.  The Bills will be locked to the 3 seed, assuming KC beats the Raiders, they can forfeit the NE game if they want, at very least the starters aren’t playing.

Or the NFL could discount this last week's games, and make it a 16-game season, like it used to be recently.

Everyone is off this Sunday, and playoffs begin on schedule. Or even one week later, with no off-week before the SB.

Edited by chongli

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I hadn’t thought of that. The Bills could actually forfeit both of the last two games and still have the 3 seed. I’m not saying that’s what they should do but it’s an interesting position to be in. What does that do to the Patriots? Does it give them an automatic berth?

Yes. For the Patriots it’s a case of win and in. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

If the Bills forfeit and take the loss, then that gifts a win to the Pats. The Steelers and Dolphins will be extremely pissed off about it.

First, prayers for Damar, his family and friends, and everyone else impacted by the horrific game last night.  So awful!

Re this thread, are teams allowed to unilaterally forfeit multiple games?  I could see the Bills contemplating doing so, but is it against the rules?

Edited by TheWei44
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dma0034 said:

Absolutely cannot happen. It is a competitive advantage for the Chiefs. The game will 100% be scheduled to play. Too many implications with Fantasy Football/ Gambling/ Seedings/ Tickets for it not to be played (not to mention the agreement)

Yes it would be an advantage for KC but IMO it would be smaller advantage then any alternative approach.  It's one thing for the Bills to collect themselves and play next Sunday against NE it would be another for the season to be extended and the Bills play Cincinnati next Sunday.  Resuming the game at the exact spot on the field and stadium where Damar Hamlin went down would place the Bills at a competitive disadvantage.

22 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

There is ZERO chance the Bills are playing 2 games in 5 days then possibly a playoff game 6 days after any Monday night game. 

I said this last night I’ll say it again.  If the updates on Damar are still critical, there will not be any games this weekend.  

There may not be games anyway if no teams are practicing. The Bills certainly won't be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Yep. They have 1 more win than us. 

Maybe I am misunderstanding your conversation but there is still a path to #1 seed even with a loss to Cinci.

Bills lose against Cinci then:

Week 18:

Bills win, KC loss, Cinci loss, Bills clinch 1st seed

Bills win, KC wins, Cinci loss, Bills clinch 2nd seed

Bills win, KC loss, Cinci wins, Bills clinch 2nd seed

Bills win, KC wins, Cinci wins, Bills clinch 3rd seed

Bills loss, KC loss, Cinci loss, Bills clinch 3rd seed

Bills loss, KC wins, Cinci wins, Bills clinch 3rd seed

Bills loss, KC loss, Cinci wins, Bills clinch 3rd seed

Bills loss, KC win, Cinci loss, Bills clinch 3rd seed

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

IMHO, I think the best option is to postpone all games this next weekend until the following weekend and only play the Bills vs Bengals game this weekend.  Then the following week, all week 18 games would be played as normal.  

And the playoffs start one week later.  

This completely screws up the logistics of 16 games.  We don't even know if stadiums are available the following week. 

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

If the Bills forfeit and take the loss, then that gifts a win to the Pats. The Steelers and Dolphins will be extremely pissed off about it.

Is that really any different than not playing your starters though which the Bills could elect to do? The Bills don’t owe Pitt or MIA anything. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yes it would be an advantage for KC but IMO it would be smaller advantage then any alternative approach.  It's one thing for the Bills to collect themselves and play next Sunday against NE it would be another for the season to be extended and the Bills play Cincinnati next Sunday.  Resuming the game at the exact spot on the field and stadium where Damar Hamlin went down would place the Bills at a competitive disadvantage.

There’s no way they play the cincy game after the week 18 games imo.  It’s either gonna be in the next few days or not at all 

I’m assuming whatever they do they’re going to leave the final decision of whether to play up to both teams 

• Agree 1

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

It's against the CBA... you can't create a competitive advantage. Also; you have to realize how much money is lost in terminating the game. Tickets, Gambling, Fantasy Football.... the NFL would get sued.... the NFL isn't going to allow that and they'll hide behind the CBA

18 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Who booked flights when the games and team haven’t been determined yet? 

I booked my flights for the 14th and 21st weekends. If I waited longer, flights would be quite a bit more expensive. If Bills get a bye/don’t play, just get a credit and use for some future flight.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

The chiefs can lose and still be #1 seed. 

How?  KC would be 13-4 (.765) while the Bills, if they beat NE would be 13-3 (.813).

Bills would even have the tiebreaker in the event that the Cincy game would count as a loss.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No games at all this weekend? It’s a terrible situation, but this is a bit of an overreaction. 

Football will go on regardless of Hamlins status. 

I'm not 100% sure of that.

This is a completely unprecedented situation, and the NFL is going to be very careful about the optics of it, as it relates to PR blowback.

I've seen a scenario floated by a few outlets (PFT among them) where no games are played this weekend, all are moved to a tacked-on week 19, and there is only one week (instead of the usual two) between championship weekend and the Super Bowl.

Not sure that I think that's the most likely outcome, but I don't think it's out of the question.

Nothing like this has ever happened in the modern era of football. The "rulebook" is out the window.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, chongli said:

There may not be games anyway if no teams are practicing. The Bills certainly won't be.

Everyone keeps assuming the bills have to forfeit the game. From what I’m aware - both teams decided to go to the locker room. The Bengals are impacted by this (logistically) as badly as the Bills are. The Bengals have a game at home vs the Ravens on Sunday. Does anyone here think they want to play this game on Wed, possibly lose, and then have to play the Ravens five days later with the division on the line? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TFBillsfan said:

Is that really any different than not playing your starters though which the Bills could elect to do? The Bills don’t owe Pitt or MIA anything. 

At least they would be trying to win the game with their backups. Taking an automatic L which gives the Steelers and Dolphins no shot at the playoffs is something else. Those organizations/fans would have a problem with a forfeit. You are right the Bills don't owe Pitt or MIA anything. The league however does. They have to find a way to make the situation as fair as possible for all teams. This uncharted territory here. 

5 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

This situation likely wouldn’t have happened otherwise…the bills would be playing for the 1 and 2 seed if they lost to the bengals and played all their starters. I don’t think it’s a large enough complaint to effect any of the decision making but it’s certainly going to affect the playoff picture pretty significantly if the bills rest starters 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

6 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I don't think they should forfeit Sunday's game.  Life has to go on at a point.

But I'm starting to think they should just take the L on the Cincy game. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding your conversation but there is still a path to #1 seed even with a loss to Cinci.

Bills lose against Cinci then:

Week 18:

Bills win, KC loss, Cinci loss, Bills clinch 1st seed

Bills win, KC wins, Cinci loss, Bills clinch 2nd seed

Bills win, KC loss, Cinci wins, Bills clinch 2nd seed

Bills win, KC wins, Cinci wins, Bills clinch 3rd seed

Bills loss, KC loss, Cinci loss, Bills clinch 3rd seed

Bills loss, KC wins, Cinci wins, Bills clinch 3rd seed

Bills loss, KC loss, Cinci wins, Bills clinch 3rd seed

Bills loss, KC win, Cinci loss, Bills clinch 3rd seed

I'm saying if the game isn't played. Which I don't expect it to be. 

24 minutes ago, boyst said:

Just played with ESPN machine. 

If they simply waive the game results and do nothing and both bills and Bengals win next week it won't matter

KC can rest their starters next week and still be #1 seed w 3 weeks off

If Bills / Bengals stands as unplayed and they both win next week (and KC loses) we would be the #1 seed.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

I really have no idea what they should do. I don't want them to take an L but it may be the only to move on. Who knows what the league will do.

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Cincy would not allow it. They would want a double forfeit, with both teams losing.

Just now, boyst said:

I'm saying if the game isn't played. Which I don't expect it to be. 

If the Bills/Bengals game isn't played, the Bills are 12-3.  Beat the Patriots and they're 13-3.

Chiefs lose to the Raiders, they're 13-4.  In what world would KC get the 1 seed there?  If KC loses to the Raiders, the Bills could even forfeit the Bengals game and still have the tiebreaker on KC.

This game will be finished, because it has to be for many reasons.  The game will be finished this week, either tomorrow night or Thursday night.  If they play Thursday and then reschedule this weekend's game to Monday, the number of days between games is the same as Sunday to Thursday during the season.  The playing Monday they will have time to prepare for the playoffs the following weekend if they are scheduled to do so.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, chongli said:

Cincy would not allow it. They would want a double forfeit, with both teams losing.

How about a double forfeit; with both teams winning. I’ve seen the forfeit scenario thrown around where you punish the forfeiting team, so why isn’t a scenario where you reward them equally as plausible? If you are going to do anything to either of these teams, impact them positively, not negatively. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Again just playing devil‘S advocate here but why should the Bills forfeit the game or take the loss? Both teams decided to go to the locker room. 

Has anyone asked the Bengals if they want to play on Wed, risk losing, and then play the Ravens 4 days later with the division on the line?

What if both teams mutually decide we aren’t playing this game this week. Period. 

11 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The Steelers and Dolphins will scream bloody murder especially if it's a forfeit.

This is one of the reasons it was a bad idea to put the KC game on Saturday.  Now if the Bills forfeit (or if they lost) and KC wins Saturday, then the Bills have little to gain against the Pats  - would need Cincy to lose for any change in seeding.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

If Bills / Bengals stands as unplayed and they both win next week (and KC loses) we would be the #1 seed.

Also I don’t think cincy can catch us for the 2 seed if the game goes unplayed so it does have a pretty big impact…although whatever they end up doing will 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I highly doubt this happens. Seems like a lot of over emotional takes which I understand…. I’d bet all games are played this weekend and business as usual.

I understand that sentiment.

Personally, I think it largely depends on the outcome of Damar Hamlin's recovery.

If we get word today that his condition has stabilized and he's ultimately going to be okay, then yes, business will undoubtedly go on as usual, we'll hear lots of platitudes about how "this is a violent game we play, and we all know what we signed up for", and everyone will (sadly, unfortunately) forget about it by Sunday. That is the nature of life in a 24-hour news cycle.

On the other hand, if he continues to be under sedation and in critical condition, and teams continue to postpone practice and other football related activities, it starts to seem unlikely the NFL asks them all to play football -- and in a series of mostly very important games to playoff outcome, mind you -- on very little preparation.

Above all else, even if you think the NFL is a soulless greed monster (which I happen to believe), you can rest assured that they are going to treat this situation very carefully for no other reason than PR and public perception. At a time when the safety (or lack thereof) of the game of football is paramount in people's minds and less and less parents are inclined to let their kids play it, they need to tread carefully, and I think they will.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.