Would you consider the Boogie Basham pick to be a disappointment?

JohnNord

34 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

I will just remind a few of you so-called draft-niks that one Bill Belichick is a lousy drafter. I honestly cannot think of a single draft that he nailed, yet they have what? Six freakin’ Super Bowl rings. Eleven AFC Championships.

Thus far, I do not believe McDermott and Beane have screwed the pooch drafting as badly as Belichick routinely has. They clearly have missed on second rounders, though. That said, I’ll take a championship run like the Pats had every day and twice on Sundays coupled with mediocre drafts if that’s what it takes.

Call that the Brady affect! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I have, and he’s not playing like a guy we should invest a ton of money into long term.   Especially given the position he plays.  

Go terrorize Burrow and we can start having that conversation.   Im not terribly impressed when he bullies backup interior linemen. 

Not my money, but it’s the team I root for.. and they have to operate under a somewhat malleable salary cap. 

This is kind of where I’m at with Oliver. He had really good games against the Lions and Bears. The Lions were without both starting guards and the Bears oline is just horrific. I’m happy about the performances, but it hardly inspires a ton of sustained confidence  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I think they would like to keep Oliver, but if we pay edmunds, we are starting to really deep dive into some big extensions on both sides of the ball. We can’t pay everyone. Someone is going to get left out. 

My guess is Oliver and Davis aren’t in the long-term plans. Take Cinci…DJ Reader is totally disruptive and he was taken in the fifth round. I think you can find someone like that to replace Oliver later on. Heck…I think DaQuan Jones was a 4th rounder. 

As for Davis…I’m fine with trading him, but I can also see value in keeping him. I don’t think a first round rookie WR would be completely ready to be handed the job, and competing with Davis for a year could make for a great situation for us. 

Yea, Davis I’m more torn on.  

Oliver actually has to start doing something in big games before I want him back.. even on a 5th year option. 

Davis, while he’s been pretty frustrating, always has the potential to go off, and while he could probably get us back some nice draft capital (2 and change?), that’s putting a lot on what may end up

being Diggs, who knows at slot and some rookies. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yea, Davis I’m more torn on.  

Oliver actually has to start doing something in big games before I want him back.. even on a 5th year option. 

Davis, while he’s been pretty frustrating, always has the potential to go off, and while he could probably get us back some nice draft capital (2 and change?), that’s putting a lot on what may end up

being Diggs, who knows at slot and some rookies. 

Yeah I definitely see value in bringing Davis back. I think their hand is somewhat forced after largely ignoring the WR position for a few years. If they had a viable option behind Davis I’d say get something for him, because I don’t think they will pay both him and Diggs. I just really hope they go all out in fortifying the WR room this off-season. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Yeah…and knowing Beane, he’d flip that pick into another DT selection. He just can’t help himself. Hopefully, if that’s the case, it’s after we spend a first on an offensive weapon for our franchise qb. 

You continually devalue the worth of an excellent Defensive Line.  The FO has done a stellar job, and just like this OP, you try to find a negative aspect.  You fail to see the forest from the trees.  This particular DL when healthy was in the discussion of all time Bills best.

On Monday one of the biggest advantages in this game is the Bills defensive line winning the battle in the trenches.  It seems reasonable that Cincy will have to adjust their game plan to account for the mismatch with Groot.  And that forced adjustment alone is worth a lot.

And while it seems understandable people can bemoan the Boogie over Creed pick.  I don't think very many would be willing to trade Groot for Creed.

21 hours ago, Rigotz said:

This statement is disappointing, but it's even worse that 7 people liked it. New fans, I guess.

Tyler Bass drafted in the 6th ... bad kicker?

Matt Milano drafted in the 5th ... bad linebacker?

Gabriel Davis drafted in the 4th ... zero value?

Dawson Knox drafted in the 3rd ... bad Tight End?

Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde brought in as cheap free agents ... bad players?

You might not like Ed Oliver, Devin Singletary, Tremaine Edmunds, and Greg Rousseau, but NONE were busts.

Trading a 1st round pick for Stefon Diggs ... bad move? He's nothing special?

Playoff drought streak broken WITHOUT Josh Allen .... coincidence?

This type of ungrateful BS and throwing all the love in the world at Josh Allen and saying he's the only reason we're good needs to stop. Does Josh Allen play defense? Because we're a top 5 defense almost every year with McDermott and Beane.

GTFO...

Gabe Davis is awful and holds the offense back. Knox is nothing special and not worth his contract. Poyer & Hyde were signed by Whaley. We missed the playoffs with a #1 defense with Marrone. This team is good but not great, i know no one bats 1.000 but no one also missed every move. Our 2nd & 3rd round drafting has been terrible with way too many misses in Free Agency

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

You continually devalue the worth of an excellent Defensive Line.  The FO has done a stellar job, and just like this OP, you try to find a negative aspect.  You fail to see the forest from the trees.  This particular DL when healthy was in the discussion of all time Bills best.

On Monday one of the biggest advantages in this game is the Bills defensive line winning the battle in the trenches.  It seems reasonable that Cincy will have to adjust their game plan to account for the mismatch with Groot.  And that forced adjustment alone is worth a lot.

And while it seems understandable people can bemoan the Boogie over Creed pick.  I don't think very many would be willing to trade Groot for Creed.

How is Creed over Rousseau relevant to anything?

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Gabe Davis is awful and holds the offense back. Knox is nothing special and not worth his contract. Poyer & Hyde were signed by Whaley. We missed the playoffs with a #1 defense with Marrone. This team is good but not great, i know no one bats 1.000 but no one also missed every move. Our 2nd & 3rd round drafting has been terrible with way too many misses in Free Agency

Davis isn’t awful. Not even close. Is he a little disappointing?  Perhaps. But he’s not awful. I will say that I think many got a little greedy after the game he had against the chiefs last year, but that hasn’t been sustained this year. But he’s nowhere near awful like you say. 

Knox has been asked to block more this year to help mask a disappointing oline. That’s on Beane IMO. He definitively misjudged the line and I expect him to make it right this off-season and allow knox to be more of a playmaker like he was last year. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

How is Creed over Rousseau relevant to anything?

Davis isn’t awful. Not even close. Is he a little disappointing?  Perhaps. But he’s not awful. I will say that I think many got a little greedy after the game he had against the chiefs last year, but that hasn’t been sustained this year. But he’s nowhere near awful like you say. 

Knox has been asked to block more this year to help mask a disappointing oline. That’s on Beane IMO. He definitively misjudged the line and I expect him to make it right this off-season and allow knox to be more of a playmaker like he was last year. 

Davis catches the ball like an alligator and has no awareness. I agree with Knox he has the potential and does what he is asked but you dont pay a TE that contract to play that role

7 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Beane has some blind spots, but I’d agree that it should be noted that Buffalo (even without Von) likely has the advantage in the trenches against Cinci.  

I’d take Rousseau, Oliver, Jones, Shaq and our rotational guys against their OL over Hendrickson, Hubbard, Reader and co. against our OL. 

Some people here think our OL is terrible .. and it’s really not.   When healthy, and we’re healthy this week, Morse & Dawkins are above average, Bates is probably playing at an above average level since mid-season as well.  Saffold and Brown are the weak spots, but we can run the ball and provide adequate protection for Allen.  Not great.. but it’s adequate. 

Cinci invested in their OL, and they’ve gotten better as the season has gone on, but is still somewhat suspect and while Collins isn’t great.. this is the first week they won’t have their starting five together. 

These are the games we expect our investment and depth on the DL to show up.   

Hopefully Frazier doesn’t play soft, because we’ll never know if we can rattle Burrow if we allow him quick, easy throws all game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Davis catches the ball like an alligator and has no awareness. I agree with Knox he has the potential and does what he is asked but you dont pay a TE that contract to play that role

Yeah it’s maddening watching Davis catch the ball. His hand placement is terrible. It wasn’t an issue before this year though. 

As for knox…I don’t think it was planned for him to be used like this. I think the short-comings of the oline have forced them to use him this way. Beane will make it right this off-season and knox will be used the way they envisioned next season. 

On 12/30/2022 at 11:46 AM, uticaclub said:

If Allen is a bust, McDermott & Beane aren't here in 2022. This team is nothing special outside of Allen.

We are 12-3 and currently the top AFC seed.

18 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Knox is fantastic if our moron OC would use him in a role beyond blocking every play. And I wouldn’t call Davis awful by any means. He’s a WR3 with WR2 upside.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

There are some guys in your defense of tackle list that I would not take over Oliver

That is intriguing.  Yet, I simply cannot imagine that being a common thought, at least for those that watch each Bills game.

In retrospect we passed on 2 DL studs to land Oliver and, yes, hindsight is 20/20. So, I truly hope he lives up to his billing, but his body of work just does not lend itself to that thinking. I wonder how many more seasons (or how much money we spend) in crossing our fingers that he evolves into a disruptive force?

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

Oliver for a 2nd?  I think you'd have 31 teams jump at that.

I would take that in a millisecond; it would be great if 31 teams would take that and I would then target those top 10 drafting teams next year and put Ed out there.  However, likely it would be, maybe 5-6 teams considering and likely only 1-2 whom would literally pull the trigger on that trade; if that.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

His picks have been terrible. He's a terrible drafter. That's why your comment is so strange.

The Pats won because BB is a GOAT coach and Brady is a GOAT QB.  They didn't win because they sucked at drafting.  The Pats winning formula wasn't:

Suck at drafting

????

Win Superbowls

So I'm not sure what you're trying to say about it being a good thing.

The 2 of the first 3 SB was from good drafting.. (Ty Law, Wilfolk, McGinest, etc)  They stayed competitive from both drafting and using draft capital to get good players (like Moss  for a 4th and Welker for a 2nd and a 7th). Bad drafting/ unwilling to trade picks could make your team stagnant or keep you just short of the promise land of a SB. 

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

The 2 of the first 3 SB was from good drafting.. (Ty Law, Wilfolk, McGinest, etc)  They stayed competitive from both drafting and using draft capital to get good players (like Moss  for a 4th and Welker for a 2nd and a 7th). Bad drafting/ unwilling to trade picks could make your team stagnant or keep you just short of the promise land of a SB. 

???

Ty Law was drafted in 1995. Milloy/Bruschi in 1996. Parcells picks.

Falk and Woody were from the Carroll era.

Vrabel was drafted by the Steelers.

Wilfork was drafted in 2004 (after the first two SuperBowls).

Guys like Seymour, Matt Light, Asante were all BB picks.

BB was the best at drafting OL and DB/LB.  A pretty good combo when you have the GOAT QB who can make any bum look good and can always play with a lead.

Wanna hear some fun stats?

Since 2005, these are BB's offensive skill players who were drafted and made 1x ProBowl

Gronk (TE)

Mac Jones (QB)

WITH THE BEST QB IN FOOTBALL!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/30/2022 at 2:35 PM, Rigotz said:

This statement is disappointing, but it's even worse that 7 people liked it. New fans, I guess.

Tyler Bass drafted in the 6th ... bad kicker?

Matt Milano drafted in the 5th ... bad linebacker?

Gabriel Davis drafted in the 4th ... zero value?

Dawson Knox drafted in the 3rd ... bad Tight End?

Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde brought in as cheap free agents ... bad players?

You might not like Ed Oliver, Devin Singletary, Tremaine Edmunds, and Greg Rousseau, but NONE were busts.

Trading a 1st round pick for Stefon Diggs ... bad move? He's nothing special?

Playoff drought streak broken WITHOUT Josh Allen .... coincidence?

This type of ungrateful BS and throwing all the love in the world at Josh Allen and saying he's the only reason we're good needs to stop. Does Josh Allen play defense? Because we're a top 5 defense almost every year with McDermott and Beane.

GTFO...

Ha Did you really just list a kicker?  Knox is an average starter.  Who knows what the hell Davis is at this point.  You mention Oliver, Singletary and Edmunds and say, “ well at they ain’t busts!” like that’s a badge of honor.  I would say, it’s not like any of them are impact starters although i’m more bullish Edmunds than most.  The truth is if McBeane hit on more high draft picks we’d be a much better team and not so reliant on a generational talent at QB.  As we’re constructed right now, Josh has to routinely put this team on his back.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 3

16 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That would've been fun.

Philosophical question: you're a life-long (in my case, 50 years) Bills fan. Would it bring you more happiness to watch your team go all-in for a 1-2 year time frame and win a Super Bowl (think Rams), and then return to mediocrity and rebuilding for another half dozen years? Or would you prefer to have a team that's in the SB hunt year after year thanks to a great QB and consistent replenishment of the talent base (think Roethlisberger's Steelers), even if you may never be a SB favorite in any given year?

Honestly, I don't know my own mind here. I kind of like following a really good team these last few years, so I'm not (yet) to the point where I want to mortgage the future. But still ...

I agree… and also a long time fan not 50 years but 35 , and while I understand your point about not mortgaging the future. When is it time !!! Look at all the stud QB in the AFC , and will it take a certain player to get over the hump and finally win one. And I really think they thought von was that guy. I guess time will tell , and that’s something me and you are running short on lol time. Let’s just win it this year and be done with these kinds  of conversation. GO Bills 

1 hour ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Ha Did you really just list a kicker?  Knox is an average starter.  Who knows what the hell Davis is at this point.  You mention Oliver, Singletary and Edmunds and say, “ well at they ain’t busts!” like that’s a badge of honor.  I would say, it’s not like any of them are impact starters although i’m more bullish Edmunds than most.  The truth is if McBeane hit on more high draft picks we’d be a much better team and not so reliant on a generational talent at QB.  As we’re constructed right now, Josh has to routinely put this team on his back.  

Are you really criticizing him for listing Bass?  He’s a really good kicker and has won 3 games this year. Darn near automatic with extra points. Don’t subscribe to the narrative that kickers aren’t players, cause good ones can be game changers. Think before you post…

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

so about this Basham fellow  ....

Yep; I got sidetracked as well.  Back to the point of the thread........to me, it is 100% goofy to label him a bust or not at this point in time. It is about 2 years to early to even assess the 2021 draft class, contrary to the "experts" on here.

Does he need to develop, evolve, and start to have impact in a more consistent manner? Absolutely.  But as a second round pick in his 2nd season, he is the least of our concerns. Let's see what year 3 holds for Boogie. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Are you really criticizing him for listing Bass?  He’s a really good kicker and has won 3 games this year. Darn near automatic with extra points. Don’t subscribe to the narrative that kickers aren’t players, cause good ones can be game changers. Think before you post…

When making the case for a GM, listing a 5th round kicker first is laughable regardless of how good he is. Championship teams aren’t built around kickers.  They’re built on both lines and at QB.  I love Beane because I think he a huge part of the amazing culture and he drafted Josh. But he’s missed badly on the DL and OL - that’s not even debatable. 

16 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

When making the case for a GM, listing a 5th round kicker first is laughable regardless of how good he is. Championship teams aren’t built around kickers.  They’re built on both lines and at QB.  I love Beane because I think he a huge part of the amazing culture and he drafted Josh. But he’s missed badly on the DL and OL - that’s not even debatable. 

I agree on these points but again you are belittling the value of Bass. He’s a huge part of this team even if he’s “just a kicker”. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I agree on these points but again you are belittling the value of Bass. He’s a huge part of this team even if he’s “just a kicker”. 

Listen Mr Bass, your son is a very good kicker.  But if AJ, Boogie, Oliver or Ford play to their draft slot no one cares  about the kicker. That’s why there are about 2 or 3 drafted every year.  If Bass went down, we could bring in a kicker who’s pretty good off the streets.  Ya can’t do that with any other position other than punter. 

• Vomit 1

30 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

NFL Special teams player of the month.  I guess that doesn’t count much in your book troll 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Listen Mr Bass, your son is a very good kicker.  But if AJ, Boogie, Oliver or Ford play to their draft slot no one cares  about the kicker. That’s why there are about 2 or 3 drafted every year.  If Bass went down, we could bring in a kicker who’s pretty good off the streets.  Ya can’t do that with any other position other than punter. 

Hahahaha!!!! “No one cares about the kicker”. Are you the high school football player that thinks “he’s still got it” and was always led to believe kickers “aren’t football players”?  Bass has been ST player of the week and month on several occasions and directly can affect the outcome of a game on one play. In this case, he’s won 3 games this season with his leg. Sorry if that upsets your ego. 

And since we are talking about players off the street, what about Kingsley Jonathan who showed more last week than “Boogie”?  I’ll wait…

Edited by whorlnut
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

NFL Special teams player of the month.  I guess that doesn’t count much in your book troll 

Dude your big point is that our very good kicker was the “ Special teams player of the month” and you’re calling me a troll?  Again, you can pull a kicker off the streets and he can do 80% of what bass does.  Happens all the time.  Trying to think of the last Kicker who was an MVP?  Or was his team’s MVP?  Are Kickers team leaders?  How many plays are they on the field for? Do you even football?

I’m not calling Kickers inconsequential but good god, there won’t be too many GMs with the kickers they drafted on their resume.  Jesus

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Dude your big point is that our very good kicker was the “ Special teams player of the month” and you’re calling me a troll?  Again, you can pull a kicker off the streets and he can do 80% of what bass does.  Happens all the time.  Trying to think of the last Kicker who was an MVP?  Or was his team’s MVP?  Are Kickers team leaders?  How many plays are they on the field for? Do you even football?

I’m not calling Kickers inconsequential but good god, there won’t be too many GMs with the kickers they drafted on their resume.  Jesus

When was the last time a CB was MVP?  So by your logic CBS aren’t that important 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Hahahaha!!!! “No one cares about the kicker”. Are you the high school football player that thinks “he’s still got it” and was always led to believe kickers “aren’t football players”?  Bass has been ST player of the week and month on several occasions and directly can affect the outcome of a game on one play. In this case, he’s won 3 games this season with his leg. Sorry if that upsets your ego. 

And since we are talking about players off the street, what about Kingsley Jonathan who showed more last week than “Boogie”?  I’ll wait…

Dude honestly you sound like a psycho.  I have no clue why I’m responding to your completely absurd post other than to say, you’ve outed yourself as a former kicker.

I have a good friend who’s a former Kicker at a big time D1 school and made an NFL roster for a few games.  I know he takes his craft very seriously and works hard.  But he’d laugh at you trying to say that street DE’s are as plentiful as street Kickers.  And Boogie sucking is exactly the proof regarding Beane’s underwhelming draft record on the most important positions.  So you literally just proved my point.  

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

When was the last time a CB was MVP?  So by your logic CBS aren’t that important 

Clearly I’m being trolled.  Are you saying kickers are as important as DBs?  DB’s are some of the greatest players in NFL history - Morton Anderson or Deon LOL.  You cherry pick one thing I said and conveniently leave out the other points like leadership, team MVP, plays per game.  How about salary?  Do kickers get drafted high - why?  How many kickers are actually drafted per year?  you and @whorlnut   are either former kickers, have children that are kickers or are soccer players 😂

• Dislike 1

On 12/31/2022 at 11:45 AM, uticaclub said:

Absolutely brutal post. I have no idea how anyone is still backing Whaley after the dumpster fire he created. The Dareus contract, the Sammy Watkins trade, the EJ Manuel pick ... come on. 

Sean McDermott signed as head coach in January, 2017.

Brandon Beane became Bills GM in May, 2017

Poyer and Hyde were brought in during the 2017 free agency period.

You really think McDermott and Beane had nothing to do with the Poyer and Hyde signings? 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Definitely. He's not terrible by any means, but an OL or LB or WR would have helped a lot more. Shaq and AJ have kinda made Basham irrelevant. That's not what you want from a 2nd round pick. I really wish we could have drafted a better RT at that spot.

On 12/31/2022 at 11:05 AM, whorlnut said:

I disagree. If anything, the Bills bet on traits just as much as any team. Allen is a massive, strong qb. Edmunds is an alien at middle LB. Bass has one of the biggest legs in the league. Rousseau…which you mentioned, is a monster. Spencer Brown and Tommy Doyle are massive prospects.  Heck, even Tre has a crazy wingspan. 

I’ll give you Oliver and Bernard. Still think Oliver has been good, but my goodness was Bernard a horrible pick to this point. We needed oline depth and we took an undersized LB that nobody heard of. Terrible pick. 

Well I hate to tell you, but Edmunds is 100% an impact guy. Not even debatable. Did you notice how open the middle was in his absence this year?  Quit playing to the board narrative and be more open to the truth. 

Just because Edmunds is better than the trash behind him does not mean he’s a genuine impact guy.  He’s been much better this year for sure.

On 12/30/2022 at 6:27 PM, wppete said:

For a second round pick he is definitely a disappointment so far. Hopefully he turns it around. 

He’s maxed out. He’s a decent depth piece who will leave after his rookie contract. There’s no upside nor turning it around. He’s been more serviceable than I expected.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Absolutely brutal post. I have no idea how anyone is still backing Whaley after the dumpster fire he created. The Dareus contract, the Sammy Watkins trade, the EJ Manuel pick ... come on. 

Sean McDermott signed as head coach in January, 2017.

Brandon Beane became Bills GM in May, 2017

Poyer and Hyde were brought in during the 2017 free agency period.

You really think McDermott and Beane had nothing to do with the Poyer and Hyde signings? 

Whaley was not a good GM at all, but Beane was still employed by Carolina when Hyde & Poyer were signed and this team is 500 without Allen

• Eyeroll 1

On 12/30/2022 at 2:49 PM, FireChans said:

I don't think you can even say Beane is terrible at drafting WR's because he fails to even try.

I can't understand why anyone would think that Beanre is in charge of the draft. It just seems SO apparent to me that McDermott makes these calls. 

McDermott traded away the pick for Mahomes by trading down for a cornerback before Breane was even hired. no?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.