Week 17: Bills at Bengals on MNF

Beck Water

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Got some other gems besides Boyd?

Burrow had a couple of quotes (have to look for them) about how they beat everyone already and they can beat anyone, yadda yadda.  I mean confidence is great, but they seem to go a step above.  They appear to say the quiet part out loud.

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Burrow had a couple of quotes (have to look for them) about how they beat everyone already and they can beat anyone, yadda yadda.  I mean confidence is great, but they seem to go a step above.  They appear to say the quiet part out loud.

And just when have they beaten us?

42 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

#Dolphins Top 3 Targets

(Hill, Waddle, Sherfield)

202 for 3,279 yards 17 TDs

This is nothing the Bills haven’t seen before. 

36 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Whose stopping Chase, Higgins, and Boyd? Would feel a lot better about this game if we had Von. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So my understanding, which could be wrong, is that a lot of teams weight their game prep on the most recent 2-3 games.

[Evidently, we had some inside info that at times, Pete Carrol and staff just use the most recent game, which is how Daboll double-suckered Belichick and then Carroll in 2020 by having the Bills run the ball down the Patriots throats (which they weren't expecting), then pass all over a Seahawks defense that "had a nice little plan for the run" and had Carroll saying after the game "we were surprised they passed so much".

I think Boyd has been shown a lot of stuff from the Bills most recent 2 games, played in horrible conditions.  You don't want to do a lot of disguise and extra running around when conditions are slick.  You also need simpler game prep when you're playing 3 games in 12 days and your prep and practice time is limited.

I think earlier in the season, we did indeed play more disguised coverage than he seems to think. 

11 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I think this perhaps:

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/joe-burrow-makes-his-thoughts-on-bills-game-very-clear

Given the Bills' No. 1 spot atop the AFC, some are viewing this game as a "measuring stick" for this year's Bengals team.

Joe Burrow doesn't see it that way.

“Yeah, I mean, we’ve beaten everybody,” Burrow said in a recent press conference, per ProFootballTalk. “We know we can play against everybody. We’ve done it in the biggest moments. So like I said, we’re treating every game the same. We’ve played everyone in the last two years. We haven’t played the Bills yet, so that will be a fun challenge, but they’re good on defense, got a lot of veteran guys and know how to play within their scheme, they play hard, they play fast, they play schematically sound so it’ll be a fun challenge.”

He does acknowledge they haven't played us yet.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

There are two different beliefs about this Bills team:

One side saw this team as the dominant Super Bowl favorite before the season.  But since the bye, their many flaws have been exposed.  An overmatched offensive coordinator.  A below-average O-Line.  Not enough weapons around the quarterback.  Sloppy with penalties, drops and tackling.  A paper tiger defense that flops in big moments, and can't stop elite quarterbacks.

The other side also saw this team as elite before the season.  But nothing over the last two months has shaken their confidence.  They see a team persevering through massive injuries and terrible weather.  Battle tested, and finding ways to win close games.  All of the problems are self-inflicted, and they will surely get everything cleaned up for the home-stretch.

Fans have been arguing non-stop over which narrative is true for the last two months.  I have a feeling that Monday night will give us a really strong indication which side is correct.  

I see truth in both views. The line is in fact below average, all units are sloppy with penalties, tackling and drops, and Allen doesn't have enough weapons, which has led him to hero ball, for better and worse. But they are also battle-tested against tough opponents and bad weather and have dealt with a lot of injuries (how many teams have lost two all-pro players?). The idea that the defense is a paper tiger that can't handle elite QBs ignores the facts. 

I see a flawed but formidable team. If Allen is on, it takes a meltdown on the part of the coaches or the other units to beat the Bills. Even if he's off, they can still win with defense and coaching.

I'm just glad they're my team. If I'm a Chiefs fan, I'm secretly terrified. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Monday night games are toooo far!

There have been some great, recent examples of how to beat the Tiggers defensively. I’m always concerned about Bills current (historical) size mismatch WR vs DB on both sides of the ball. 

Elam has size 😃 

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

We all would.  But either the DL is improved enough without Von to bring pressure with 3 or 4, or we are going to struggle in the playoffs, because that was the whole goal of Beane's off-season: improve the DL to where we could affect the QB in the playoffs, while leaving the OL and the WR corps "good enough".

The idea is, that protects the secondary

This D is no better than last year just from a pure roster analysis. Spare me that Rousseau , Ed and tremaine developed. It’s marginal. 

they have no Jerry Hughes , Mario Addison , Von Miller  (ok shaq but hes

a JAG run defender) 

settle actually doesn’t grade out that well. DQ is legit and so ok they have a better run D

no Hyde , + tre who’s coming back off acl. I’d rather have healthy hyde >>>>> tre off acl 

I guess we saw what the team and D could look like when they beat kc early w Von coming up huge 

I’m expecting them against elite qb (burrow) to get boat raced on D

once agin it will be all on the O and Allen 

Edited by balln
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Yeah, it’s on ESPN.

Paraphrasing … They don’t have anything to prove, they’ve beaten everyone, they all know what they can do, all they have to do is go do it.

This Bengals homage has gone on long enough. 

Hammer Burrow over and over and over and over again. 

• Like (+1) 1

Chase alone is going to make them look so silly. He’s a freaking elite tackle breaker / yAC on top of all his elite traits.

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah, it’s on ESPN.

Paraphrasing … They don’t have anything to prove, they’ve beaten everyone, they all know what they can do, all they have to do is go do it.

This Bengals homage has gone on long enough. 

Hammer Burrow over and over and over and over again. 

With Kingsley and AJE? 

37 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

He’s wrong. He hasn't beaten us yet as we haven’t played the Bengals since before Burrow was even a gleam in their eyes. Sounds like he doesn’t include the Bills on his list of everyone worth beating. They certainly haven’t beaten anyone we haven't already beat either. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, balln said:

This D is no better than last year just from a pure roster analysis. Spare me that Rousseau , Ed and tremaine developed. It’s marginal. 

a JAG run defender) 

settle actually doesn’t grade out that well. DQ is legit and so ok they have a better run D

no Hyde , + tre who’s coming back off acl. I’d rather have healthy hyde >>>>> tre off acl 

I guess we saw what the team and D could look like when they beat kc early w Von coming up huge 

I think the Defense is about the same as last year.  

Hughes & Addison might as well been invisible in the KC playoff game.  I feel better about what we have now, even without Von… at least there’s potential in Rousseau and AJE. 

The DT room is much better than last year. The key is for Jordan Phillips to stop getting hurt.  Probably too much to ask.  Oliver/Jones is a really strong tandem.  Settle is fine, whatever.  Phillips can be a weapon if he stops falling apart.   The interior pash rush is probably more important than off the edge in this game. 

Edmunds & Milano are better this year than last.  Secondary about a wash given the +70% Tre, -Hyde and more talent at CB2 if they ever figure it out. 

I still think our coaches/scheme can slow down anyone not named KC.  As good as anyone else is, KC with Reid and Mahomes when he’s on, is just a different animal.  

27 minutes ago, balln said:

a JAG run defender) 

Our DL is MUCH better-  daquan, Phillips, settle, Shaq -  Rousseau is much better.  AJ is better.  Basham, idk.  

milano is better.  Edmunds is much better-  Botha credit to hard work AND how much better the DL is.  

you’re severely underestimating how much better the DTs are this year compared to last.  We now have an interior push.  Last year, we had NONE.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, balln said:

Chase alone is going to make them look so silly. He’s a freaking elite tackle breaker / yAC on top of all his elite traits.

With Kingsley and AJE? 

Kingsley won’t be active, but go on…..

Rousseau, Ed, Jones, Phillips, Shaq, AJE, settle, Basham——- and don’t forget Milano and Edmunds.  

a proper defensive game plan will get pressure on Burrow.  Only 4 QBs have been sacked more.  Don’t act like he doesn’t get sacked but lesser DLs

Burrow has been sacked in every game this year.  5 of those games he was sacked only once- 5 times twice- 5 times 3 sacks or more.  

And their run game is abysmal.  

Edited by NewEra

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

There are two different beliefs about this Bills team:

One side saw this team as the dominant Super Bowl favorite before the season.  But since the bye, their many flaws have been exposed.  An overmatched offensive coordinator.  A below-average O-Line.  Not enough weapons around the quarterback.  Sloppy with penalties, drops and tackling.  A paper tiger defense that flops in big moments, and can't stop elite quarterbacks.

The other side also saw this team as elite before the season.  But nothing over the last two months has shaken their confidence.  They see a team persevering through massive injuries and terrible weather.  Battle tested, and finding ways to win close games.  All of the problems are self-inflicted, and they will surely get everything cleaned up for the home-stretch.

Fans have been arguing non-stop over which narrative is true for the last two months.  I have a feeling that Monday night will give us a really strong indication which side is correct.  

Why would the 1st side think we our defense flops and can't stop elite QBs? Here's some facts:

4-1 against top 10 offenses this year and 3-1 against the top 5(3 of them on the road).

Beat Mahomes in KC and held the Chiefs to 9 points below their season average. While Mahomes did throw for alot of yards, he had as many ints as tds, including throwing the game sealing int late in the game.

Buffalo is 4-2 against QBs in the top 13, loses coming against Tua & Cousins.

As for the offense, Buffalo is 3-1 against top 10 defenses this year, 3 of them were also on the road.

Most think Buffalo can't run the ball well, but they rank 8th in rushing and 10 of their 15 games this year have come against top 11 rush defenses. #2, #3, #5, #6, #8, #9, #10x2, #11x2. They topped 100 yards in all those games and went 8-2. The 2 losses, both on the road, by a total of 5 points combined.

Josh Allen...Nothing more to be said, besides hands down the most important player to his team and it's not close.

I think the weather the last 5 quarters has helped Dorsey to find his way. It forced the Bills to ramp up the rushing game and the offense has responded rushing for 353 yards in those 5 quarters.

A few others, Buffalo is now 7-1 against teams with top 15 rushers.

They are 5-1 against teams with a top 12 pass rusher, including a game where they faced 2 in the same game.

They are well above .500 against every type of team and player they've faced this year and are as battle tested as any Bills team in at least 3 decades.

This 1 game, win or lose, is not going to indicate who this team is. It's 15 games into the season, if you don't know who and what this team is I would question what you've been watching and have you been paying attention. Resilient, gritty, competitive as hell, workman like, confident, but not cocky, humble, on task & a blast to watch. These things come to mind for me and I'm sure there's others I can't think of at the moment.

The team that holds the other to more fgs vs tds comes out on top this week. Bills win Monday night, each offense scores 5 times, 31-23.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

So my understanding, which could be wrong, is that a lot of teams weight their game prep on the most recent 2-3 games.

[Evidently, we had some inside info that at times, Pete Carrol and staff just use the most recent game, which is how Daboll double-suckered Belichick and then Carroll in 2020 by having the Bills run the ball down the Patriots throats (which they weren't expecting), then pass all over a Seahawks defense that "had a nice little plan for the run" and had Carroll saying after the game "we were surprised they passed so much".

I think Boyd has been shown a lot of stuff from the Bills most recent 2 games, played in horrible conditions.  You don't want to do a lot of disguise and extra running around when conditions are slick.  You also need simpler game prep when you're playing 3 games in 12 days and your prep and practice time is limited.

I think earlier in the season, we did indeed play more disguised coverage than he seems to think. 

I think this perhaps:

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/joe-burrow-makes-his-thoughts-on-bills-game-very-clear

He does acknowledge they haven't played us yet.

Whatever Boyd, you won’t have to cash the checks your mouth is making so all good from your standpoint. 

23 minutes ago, balln said:

a JAG run defender) 

Sorry, but anyone who can look at a DT set of Jordan Phillips, Ed Oliver (taken a step), DaQuan Jones, and Tim Settle and think it's "no better" than Vernon Butler, last year's Ed Oliver, Star Lotulelei, and Harrison Phillips, and say "no better than last year" - well, I gotta question whether you're really watching much, or whether you know what you're watching.

Yes, we have no "Mario Addison".  Wow.  We really miss his 7 sacks, 8 TFL, and 7 QB hits playing 45% of the snaps.  Add in 1 pass defenses and 1 FF

Hughes has had a rejuvenation for the Texans.  Whether the scheme suits him better or he had a fire lit under him when the Bills moved on, I can't tell you, but the difference between Hughes his last year here (2 sacks, 1 TFL, 7 QB hits, 3 passes defensed, 2 FF)

We are getting better production from Rousseau and AJE this year.  That's just a fact. AJ Epenesa has 6.5 sacks, 7 TFL, and 9 QB hits playing 38% of the snaps?   5 passes defensed and 2 FF.  Rousseau this year (7 sacks, 9 TFL, 12 QB hits, 4 PD, 1 FF) is not "marginal"

Shaq is playing on a 1 year "prove it" deal and he is out to do just that.  He has more sacks, TFL, and QB hits than Hughes had last year in B'lo (3.5 sacks, 6 TFL, 9 QB hits, 1 PD, 1 FF in 47% of the snaps.

Von Miller is a huge loss for the Bills, there's no sugar coating it.  But anyone who brings up missing Jerry Hughes as he played last year for the Bills, while saying Shaq is a "JAG run defender" - again, one has to question whether you're actually watching or just here to troll.

settle actually doesn’t grade out that well.

"Grade out that well" according to whom? 

Yeah, OK, we get to the official "this guy makes no sense here".

Well, All Righty Then.

15 minutes ago, balln said:

I mean, it's not like we've already faced the top 3 WR in the league or anything for Y/G, or like we've faced 5 of the top 10 WR in the league for Y/G, or anything.

Did they make some plays on us, Yes. 

Did their teams "Boat race" our D?  I guess it depends upon your definition of "boat race".  Our D certainly played well enough for us to win both games.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A proper defensive game plan will get pressure on Burrow.  Only 4 QBs have been sacked more.  Don’t act like he doesn’t get sacked but lesser DLs

Burrow has been sacked in every game this year.  5 of those games he was sacked only once- 5 times twice- 5 times 3 sacks or more.  

and that was WITH La’el Collins at right tackle. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

Nobody really stops them.  They will make plays.  It’s about limiting the explosive plays and tackling Chase.  

Exactly.  The Bills will most likely play almost, if not exclusively zone.  3 man rush and 8 in coverage has been very successful against Burrow at limiting big plays and limiting his completion percentage, so I expect to see some of that.  I would not be surprised if Burrow throws for 400 yards and still loses the game by two scores. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Not a damned thing.

I just enjoy seeing *****-talkers get their just desserts.

Rooting for a human being to sustain a cranial or brain injury and be carted off the field as "just desserts" for saying some words that offended you.

Sure. Seems totally normal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Not a damned thing.

I just enjoy seeing *****-talkers get their just desserts.

I wouldn’t call him a *****-talker. He said too much - surprising for a veteran - but it was hardly that bad. 

My definition of a *****-talker is still Tim McKyer, who said before the Dolphins-Bills rematch in 1990 that “the Bills without Jim Kelly are like a hand without a thumb” (Reich carved him up) and then said before the playoff game, “I challenge Jim Kelly to throw my way” (Kelly obliged and hit Lofton with a TD right over him). 

6 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Exactly.  The Bills will most likely play almost, if not exclusively zone.  3 man rush and 8 in coverage has been very successful against Burrow at limiting big plays and limiting his completion percentage, so I expect to see some of that.  I would not be surprised if Burrow throws for 400 yards and still loses the game by two scores. 

And then the media will still have Burrow over Josh for MVP because garbage-time yards. That’s fine.  Winning the game is all that matters. Marino threw for more than Kelly in that ‘90 playoff game and the media creamed themselves … as he booked a tee time for the following Sunday. 

Edited by BRH
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Rooting for a human being to sustain a cranial or brain injury and be carted off the field as "just desserts" for saying some words that offended you.

Better take it easy on those pearls, you may break the strand 

• Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's how many players think, especially old school players. Body count bragging rights are legit. 

2 hours ago, GottaRun said:

Why would this bother you? This is probably the biggest Monday night football game in NFL history, both sides are playing winning football and both are going to get plenty of love because both sides believe they are the better team and the network is going to hype this up to the max.  538 ranks each game by Quality, Importance, and Overall Rating... check out the Monday Night rating...  Burrow and the Bengals were in the Super Bowl last season, we weren't.  That Super Bowl appearance will still be spinning the heads of many.

1224301583_Screenshot2022-12-30at10_21_47AM.thumb.png.a2b537f91128e7072e9a2ae76ca07826.png

Compared to the Chiefs game

1871405469_Screenshot2022-12-30at10_24_58AM.png.6c80d67f9e9e09698d35a8b802a1c5e8.png

My annoyance isn't that people are picking the Bengals to win. They are a good team. 

It's a combination of two things: One, the sheer volume of people taking the Bengals over the Bills. Two, the reasons I keep hearing are problems with the Bills that the Bengals also are dealing with to an extent or have it worse, and yet those issues are somehow backbreaking killers for the Bills and no big deal for the Bengals.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

This illustrates my point nicely. I have heard time and time again about how insane the receiving group the Bengals have. That Chase, Higgins and Boyd are the most dangerous trio in the NFL, moreso than Hill and Waddle. At the same time, I keep hearing about how Josh is a one man show with no one but Diggs pulling their weight. And look, the Bills have done more with seemingly less.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Win or lose, I would take Josh over this guy any day of the week. Josh seems to be such a modest, unassuming person while Burrow sounds like such a cocky ass. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Burrow crushes the blitz and has a 110 passer rating against it.

I think this has to be a rush 4, disguise in the secondary type of game

That's part of why I am hopeful for this matchup. La'el Collins is now out for the season and their O-line is battered. If there is a time and place for our front four to be able to get consistent pressure against an O-line like we did vs the Rams in the opener it's now. That lets us play our standard nickel D that we got to at the start of the season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Burrow crushes the blitz and has a 110 passer rating against it.

I think this has to be a rush 4, disguise in the secondary type of game

Good point but I still think we can be effective occasionally sending one of our linebackers on some blitzes. I think a couple hard hits on Burrow might shake hm up a little.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, BRH said:

I wouldn’t call him a *****-talker. He said too much - surprising for a veteran - but it was hardly that bad. 

My definition of a *****-talker is still Tim McKyer, who said before the Dolphins-Bills rematch in 1990 that “the Bills without Jim Kelly are like a hand without a thumb” (Reich carved him up) and then said before the playoff game, “I challenge Jim Kelly to throw my way” (Kelly obliged and hit Lofton with a TD right over him). 

And then the media will still have Burrow over Josh for MVP because garbage-time yards. That’s fine.  Winning the game is all that matters. Marino threw for more than Kelly in that ‘90 playoff game and the media creamed themselves … as he booked a tee time for the following Sunday. 

who the hell cares. The insecurity with some of you is amazing. Allen gets plenty of praise in the media. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.