I'm glad we have McDermott

Success

22 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Is Sean the only coach in the league who goes out on the field when one of his players is injured?  You don't see that very much and I think as a player you'd feel that he's got your back.

I saw Saleh do that on Sunday - but you're right, it's not common.  I also loved the heart-to-heart he had w/ Diggs in that Detroit game.

You can tell the he has the respect of the players.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This is a fantastic message board and it’s my go to place for all my Bills breaking news. Some of the regular posters here have as good of a perspective on the Bills as many of the media types that do it for a living.

That being said, this place turns into a suicide cult after every loss and there are a fair number of trolls who come here to stir the pot.

I’m not sure how any long term Bills fan can look at the totality of what McDermott has done for this franchise and not be incredibly grateful that he is our coach.

Does he deserve criticism for bad moves? Absolutely.  Should he be immune to accountability?  Absolutely not.  But, anyone on this board saying he’s a bad coach or we should move on from him is either a fool or a troll.

Anyone who watched the Levy lead Bills or beforehand has to appreciate all that McDermott's done because he's turned this franchise around. I'll admit when he first came in with his Playoff Caliber t-shirts I thought oh boy this should be fun. Then when we passed on DeShaun Watson and moved on from Dareus, Watkins and Ronald Darby I still had questions. Yet as we've seen he clearly knows what he's doing as to go from QB purgatory to franchise QB and top 5 NFL team over 3 or more seasons is a wonderful thing. 

• Like (+1) 2

-13 Seconds-

This was a Hall of Shame HCing moment of improper direction! A catastrophic lack of attention to minute detail, where there were only 3 potential plays available- the KO & 2 Offensive plays- including the FG!

I like McDermott, but I cannot get over this FUBAR until he brings the Lombardi home to Buffalo and their long suffering, fabulous fan base!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We haven’t been Super Bowl contenders in a long time until McDermott got here.

The mindset of “Every game we win it’s because of Josh Allen and the every game we lose is because of McDermott” is annoying.

Agree, McD ended the drought without Josh. He’s an excellent coach no doubt

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Process said:

McDermott is a great coach. I hope he's here for a long time.

With that said, the defense he runs and his general philosophy is the reason we've had to continuously invest into the D at the expense of the O. And that has to change.

I would rather win a game 42-38 then lose a game 20-17. We've given Sean enough bites at the defensive Apple. It's officially time to build a juggernaut offense around the best qb Buffalo has ever seen. I will always admire and be grateful to McD for the process,  culture and player bonding he brings to this organization.  It's just the game management that terrifies me?

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

There is overly harsh criticism of the coaching staff which will persist until a Lombardi as at OBD.  People who call for a change are just nuts.  This guy has the temperament and leadership to completely turn a franchise around.  In game management has gotten better over time, he works to continually improve, it is just a great time to be a fan of this team and he is one of the key 2-3 people why.

The criticism of Sean was all about 13 seconds because that was a soul crushing, mindless choke job, by a defensive coach. That came off being outcoached and defeated by the Chiefs the prior year. You’re absolutely right about him showing improved game day decision making and getting the most out of his players. He’s a solid coach and definitely should be given credit for turning this floundering franchise into perennial winners. Beane has also been instrumental.

I've felt this way for a while now--and I was extremely skeptical when McDermott took over.

But what he's managed to do with the culture and preparation of the Bills is not something anybody should dismiss casually. Getting all these high ego players to function as a team, to put the welfare of the whole ahead of their individual success, is not an easy thing to do. We can point to eight or ten teams around the league that underperform because their coaches can't do this. 

Plus he's smart and adaptable and able to learn. I want McDermott and Beane to be here for a long time. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

i'm surprised this thread isn't more angry.

3 game win streak. They will come out of the woodwork if we take another L, and mark my words this thread will be resurrected at that time with anti mcdermott rhetoric anew.

I am just glad McDermott turned around the one score game statistic. It is so amazing that we win by less than 2 scores more often. That means we are winners! As opposed to taking the easy route and just pounding the opposing team. /s

1 score games

2018 - 3-3

2019 - 4-6

2020 - 6-1

2021 - 0-6

2022 - 4-3

Meanwhile 2 score games:

2018 - 3-7

2019 - 6-1

2020 - 9-3

2021 - 12-1

2022 - 5-0

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

I like him alright now. But a couple more years of almosts w/o a Lombardi & he'll start feeling like Mike Tomlin or, shutter to think of it, Marvin Lewis. As my boss once said to me, this is a big year, expecting big things from you (McD).

Mike Tomlin?  the guy that has 2 SB appearances and 1 SB Trophy and hasn't had a losing season until this year (most likely). I will take that over any of our previous HC's since Marv L.  

Perfection is not attainable.   Expectations of perfection every year is down right stupidity.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.