I'm glad we have McDermott

Success

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

So if you don't follow and support McD blindly, you're an idiot?

No. But if you are always negative and look for things to complain about you are. Some (alot) people just have to live in a negative world in order to get the attention they need.

Does McD deserve constructive criticism? Yes, just like anyone else, however, he is still one of the best in the NFL and one of the best we've ever had.

To be honest, my biggest complaint about McD is I think he delegates and allows his OC/DC to do their thing. At least it seems that way to me. But, it can also be a good thing as it shows the trust he has in the people under him.

46 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

No. But if you are always negative and look for things to complain about you are. Some (alot) people just have to live in a negative world in order to get the attention they need.

Does McD deserve constructive criticism? Yes, just like anyone else, however, he is still one of the best in the NFL and one of the best we've ever had.

To be honest, my biggest complaint about McD is I think he delegates and allows his OC/DC to do their thing. At least it seems that way to me. But, it can also be a good thing as it shows the trust he has in the people under him.

And there we can agree.  He's grown on me, but still a little way to go.   I just admittedly am put off by the word "Culture" 

He's an average coach. Let's be honest here, as somebody already mentioned, without JA17, his W/L record would be way worse. 

If he doesn't at least lead the Bills to a SB this year or next, then in my book, he needs to go. Obviously, they should have gone to the SB last year, and they didn't, and that was directly because of terrible coaching at the end of the KC game. This year, because of the injuries, I might be able to give him a pass, dependent upon what he does for the rest of the year. As others have noted, his game day coaching is mind boggling at times.

And I hate when people compare McDermott to other coaches, by saying "he's better than many other coaches in the league." That's crap talk; we deserve the best.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Should just said this instead of saying "idiots come on the weekend." Don't you think? 

7 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

He's an average coach. Let's be honest here, as somebody already mentioned, without JA17, his W/L record would be way worse. 

If he doesn't at least lead the Bills to a SB this year or next, then in my book, he needs to go. Obviously, they should have gone to the SB last year, and they didn't, and that was directly because of terrible coaching at the end of the KC game. This year, because of the injuries, I might be able to give him a pass, dependent upon what he does for the rest of the year. As others have noted, his game day coaching is mind boggling at times.

And I hate when people compare McDermott to other coaches, by saying "he's better than many other coaches in the league." That's crap talk; we deserve the best.

I agree with most of what you are saying. He clearly blew the 13 seconds. No need to rehash that. 

I think he's an above average coach and I believe most football fans and so called experts would agree. However, this Bills team is built to win now and at the very least the next few seasons pending a healthy Allen. Anything short of a Super Bowl win or perhaps an appearance won't be a successful season. Coach McD has to lead this team to that Lombardi Trophy. If he can't it may be time for a change. Now, isn't the time for that. He deserves a chance to rectify his 13 sec blunder. 

I still see a coach who can motivate his players, has passion for the game, and players who respect and play hard for him. Look to the Diggs incident and the 12 day stretch where the Bills won 3 games under difficult circumstances. Look the the victory speech he gave the players after the Lions win. Vintage McD and that's hard not to like.

19 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This is a fantastic message board and it’s my go to place for all my Bills breaking news. Some of the regular posters here have as good of a perspective on the Bills as many of the media types that do it for a living.

That being said, this place turns into a suicide cult after every loss and there are a fair number of trolls who come here to stir the pot.

I’m not sure how any long term Bills fan can look at the totality of what McDermott has done for this franchise and not be incredibly grateful that he is our coach.

Does he deserve criticism for bad moves? Absolutely.  Should he be immune to accountability?  Absolutely not.  But, anyone on this board saying he’s a bad coach or we should move on from him is either a fool or a troll.

Agree, and as we all have seen, it is the same small group of trolls/fools every time, insisting that we fire/cut/bench someone or group of someone’s…, we all know what they are going to post upon seeing their screen names, they are TBDs flat earthers, they are always right, if you don’t believe me, ask them…, 

Go Bills!!!

• Angry 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

That may be unfair.  I have no idea as do the majority on this board.  He has JA17 as we keep saying & no idea just how much he means.  

People keep going on about the Playoffs year 1, where he went 9-7 (following a 7-9) year and was heralded a hero, which he was not.  

I was very critical at just how much he ignored the offense and the issues I saw there.  Will bang the drum again that he thought Peterman was a starting NFL QB.

He is fine, makes some mistakes (and 13 seconds was unacceptable) and just hope that he isn't put in position this year to make them in the playoffs. 

This team was a pretty overwhelming favourite to win the PB at the beginning of the season and now are just one of 5 or 6 who can.  Who is to blame for that?  

3 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

very well put.  there may very well be a point where mcd runs his course here, but we're not close to that yet.  i'm very curious to how this playoff run will shake out.  i understand it's very difficult to win a super bowl, but if the playoffs end in a 13 second/vikings type loss, i'm going to lose my mind.

42 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Should just said this instead of saying "idiots come on the weekend." Don't you think? 

nope.  he's 100% right.  some people here on the weekends during the games are complete idiot man children.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

And even after that for some

You’re literally talking about almost every team in the league. Every coach in the league makes mistakes. Why should ours be any different you look at the overall body of work you’re upset whenever bad things happen and then you become a sensible fan and move onto the next game

Because not all coaches make terrible mistakes at the absolute worst times. Like when the game is in the line. In a divisional playoff game. With 13 seconds left. Yeah. I’m still not over it. It was an inexcusable blunder and we should have been playing the bengals at home for a shot at the SB. Back to the thread about whether McDermott is a good coach or not over a week ago. We lost that game because of him and Frazier. 2 defensive gurus that couldn’t see that with 3 timeouts left, the Chiefs didn’t need to go to the sidelines, yet we played a prevent defense and left the middle of the field wide open. 

but, like I said, there’s other times he’s screwed up and cost us big games. It’s a problem to say the least. Its bad that we have to hope that Allen and this team can create a big enough lead in games just so that the coaches don’t blow it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Every coach who has an elite QB is made to look better than they are...it's why finding a franchise guy should be job 1 for a new regime.  Carolina didn't figure that out and they're on to another HC.  Credit to Buffalo for, after the 2017 1st round when McD was collaborating with Beane through backdoor channels, they found their guy the following year.   

Most fans are never going to expect greatness, i.e. a SB win, for fear it won't happen.  It's just human nature to protect one's ego/fanhood because many people associate their team with their identity and when the team fails that hits too close to home.  

After they signed Von Miller it was SB win or bust for me unless a major injury occurred.  Anything less given the spending (particularly on defense) and having Josh in his prime demands that result.  I believe McD's vision for NFL strategy has topped out, but we'll see this post-season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, mrags said:

Because not all coaches make terrible mistakes at the absolute worst times. Like when the game is in the line. In a divisional playoff game. With 13 seconds left. Yeah. I’m still not over it. It was an inexcusable blunder and we should have been playing the bengals at home for a shot at the SB. Back to the thread about whether McDermott is a good coach or not over a week ago. We lost that game because of him and Frazier. 2 defensive gurus that couldn’t see that with 3 timeouts left, the Chiefs didn’t need to go to the sidelines, yet we played a prevent defense and left the middle of the field wide open. 

but, like I said, there’s other times he’s screwed up and cost us big games. It’s a problem to say the least. Its bad that we have to hope that Allen and this team can create a big enough lead in games just so that the coaches don’t blow it. 

Yes they do and these are always all hindsight.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

But can we all agree that vs. KC there were multiple errors and all McD (or him in collaboration with the coaching staff) needed to do was make one correct one and they win?

Compound that with offering no defense during OT (which we continue to see too often with long drives and bend not break strategy that cost the Bills the Jets & Minny game). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

in hindsight or forsight... IT SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. 

The fact that we can not afford to lose 1 more game to contol home field advantage this season by allowing losses to the Miami and Jets is another Blunder. We should not be in this predicament. Injuries have a part to play in it, but a teams depth has to be ready to step up and keeep those things from happening. I believe we have the depth, so then w elok at coaching and preparedness.

We have gotten little help from Cook and Shakir early in the season. They're stepping up more so now, and hopefuly they can make a huge difference down the stretch...

If we lose home field advantage for the playoffs and then fail to make the Superbowl these situation will be brought up all off-season over and over and over again, becuase that is where the compass will point. I fully expect us to dominate Miami and the Jets when they come to us. Cinncinatti will be the game that could make or break us, and the Bengals are a prime candidate to spoil our offseason... SO this will be a huge test for the Coaches and the team in general. Failure is NOT an option 

With Allen and Von Miller and other offseason aquisitions I fully expect to dominate the rest of the season and through the playoffs, anything less will be a MASSIVE dissapointment and probably more Bills franchise follies to add to the pile.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Compound that with offering no defense during OT (which we continue to see too often with long drives and bend not break strategy that cost the Bills the Jets & Minny game). 

I struggle with the bend don't break Defense, because if the other QB is having a solid day bend don't break don't stop *****.

But playing the odds bend don't break probably favors the D, but not against hot or top QBs bend don't break seems to make a game easier to lose IMO

Edited by ddaryl

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

But can we all agree that vs. KC there were multiple errors and all McD (or him in collaboration with the coaching staff) needed to do was make one correct one and they win?

You're only going to be satisfied if we always 100% blame everything on McDermott.  It's the only thing you want. 

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

in hindsight or forsight... IT SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. 

The fact that we can not afford to lose 1 more game to contol home field advantage this season by allowing losses to the Miami and Jets is another Blunder. We should not be in this predicament. Injuries have a part to play in it, but a teams depth has to be ready to step up and keeep those things from happening. I believe we have the depth, so then w elok at coaching and preparedness.

We have gotten little help from Cook and Shakir early in the season. They're stepping up more so now, and hopefuly they can make a huge difference down the stretch...

If we lose home field advantage for the playoffs and then fail to make the Superbowl these situation will be brought up all off-season over and over and over again, becuase that is where the compass will point. I fully expect us to dominate Miami and the Jets when they come to us. Cinncinatti will be the game that could make or break us, and the Bengals are a prime candidate to spoil our offseason... SO this will be a huge test for the Coaches and the team in general. Failure is NOT an option 

With Allen and Von Miller and other offseason aquisitions I fully expect to dominate the rest of the season and through the playoffs, anything less will be a MASSIVE dissapointment and probably more Bills franchise follies to add to the pile.

I think this is pretty dramatic.  If we don't win the Super Bowl this will be a follie?  This isn't the 1992 Dream Team that it that much better than anyone else and beat everyone by 60.  We have a great roster but so do other teams.  The Chiefs, Eagles, Cowboys and Bengals are all good enough to win the Super Bowl.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're only going to be satisfied if we always 100% blame everything on McDermott.  It's the only thing you want. 

Asked a question and again you try and turn it on me.  

And you happily absolve him (or say sh!t happens)?

Just now, Scott7975 said:

How many make it with Tyrod Taylor and Kelvin Benjamine?

They were 9-7, quit pretending it was the greatest coaching feat ever.  The prior year they were 7-7 and were eliminated in week 16 in OT (btw a last minute TD vs. Miami) and then Rex was fired and no one cared the following week.  

He did not turnaround a 4-12 team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.