I'm glad we have McDermott

Success

22 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Mike Tomlin?  the guy that has 2 SB appearances and 1 SB Trophy and hasn't had a losing season until this year (most likely). I will take that over any of our previous HC's since Marv L.  

Perfection is not attainable.   Expectations of perfection every year is down right stupidity.  

Won 14 years ago 2009 (2 years after taking over from Cower who had just won it in 2006). Had massive talent, Roethleisberger, Brown & Bell, were SB favorites & never made it with that group. Easier to take when your franchise & coach have won one. McD hasn't yet (like Marvin Lewis). McD deserves tons of credit for building this team into a contender, but a lot of people do that & don't finish the job w/ a Championship (looking @ you Jerry Jones). Not looking for perfection just a Lombardi in my lifetime (I will be thrilled w/ an imperfect ugly SB win). Winning the SB is & should be the goal, not satisfied being runners up. 13 seconds goes away with a Lombardi.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Agree 1

I am absolutely convinced that he is the best head coach when it comes to building a winning culture where all players are fully committed to achieving the team objective and he extracts the maximum out of the entire roster. There is nobody better in the NFL for mine.

Not sure he is the right game day manager and some of his decisions have left me perplexed, but he has certainly improved since 2017. I'll reserve judgement on this for now. I am also unsure if he has the balance right in terms of his input on drafting strategy (offense v defence) although I am sure that Beane has a large say in the matter.

Overall the positives far outweigh the negatives.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

3 game win streak. They will come out of the woodwork if we take another L, and mark my words this thread will be resurrected at that time with anti mcdermott rhetoric anew.

I am just glad McDermott turned around the one score game statistic. It is so amazing that we win by less than 2 scores more often. That means we are winners! As opposed to taking the easy route and just pounding the opposing team. /s

1 score games

2018 - 3-3

2019 - 4-6

2020 - 6-1

2021 - 0-6

2022 - 4-3

Meanwhile 2 score games:

2018 - 3-7

2019 - 6-1

2020 - 9-3

2021 - 12-1

2022 - 5-0

good call.  @Billsfan1972would appreciate the close game stats.  i think it's very honest that you included more seasons that just 2021.  take note 1972.

50 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

The criticism of Sean was all about 13 seconds because that was a soul crushing, mindless choke job, by a defensive coach.

That was warranted IMO but he's still the right man for the job and its not a discussion.  There are people on hear thinking they shoudl fire him if they dont win the SB is what I was getting at.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

-13 Seconds-

This was a Hall of Shame HCing moment of improper direction! A catastrophic lack of attention to minute detail, where there were only 3 potential plays available- the KO & 2 Offensive plays- including the FG!

I like McDermott, but I cannot get over this FUBAR until he brings the Lombardi home to Buffalo and their long suffering, fabulous fan base!

The coach who made the FUBAR as you put it is gone to Jax

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's the Eagles Andy Reid, not yet the Chiefs Andy Reid...

Except one is an Offensive SME while the other is a Defensive SME.  I’d also say that McD’s leadership style is far superior to Reid’s  but Eagles Andy was still a better game manager.  

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The coach who made the FUBAR as you put it is gone to Jax

What about the 12 second FUBAR against the Chiefs this year?  

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

That was warranted IMO but he's still the right man for the job and its not a discussion.  There are people on hear thinking they shoudl fire him if they dont win the SB is what I was getting at.

I’m all for Sean as our coach going forward, he’s a great leader most importantly. I would like to see him however, come up large in a big spot against KC or Cinn.

48 minutes ago, teef said:

good call.  @Billsfan1972would appreciate the close game stats.  i think it's very honest that you included more seasons that just 2021.  take note 1972.

Actually it's all about context teef.  I'm pretty sure I've discussed this before when it came up. If you want to consider back door covers one score games go ahead.  I'm talking the Cleveland game this year or Miami and Oakland in 2020.  Yes they beat the LA Rams two but gave up a 28-3 lead midway through the 4th in that one ( reminiscent of the Minnesota game).

I've said McD has grown on me.

Tell you what let's have this thought-provoking thread. Who would you rather have McD or Allen?

Edited by Billsfan1972

McD is better than 2/3 of the coaches in this league, but question still remains if's a true war time coach that can take this team to a SB, let alone win one.

And as of now that answer is no because of his inability to win a road playoff game. If for some reason that changes this year so be it but history is not on his side.

• Vomit 1

27 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Except one is an Offensive SME while the other is a Defensive SME.  I’d also say that McD’s leadership style is far superior to Reid’s  but Eagles Andy was still a better game manager.  

SME? 

20 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually it's all about context teef.  I'm pretty sure I've discussed this before when it came up. If you want to consider back door covers one score games go ahead.  I'm talking the Cleveland game this year or Miami and Oakland in 2020.  Yes they beat the LA Rams two but gave up a 28-3 lead midway through the 4th in that one ( reminiscent of the Minnesota game).

I've said McD has grown on me.

Tell you what let's have this thought-provoking thread. Who would you rather have McD or Allen?

no context needed.  just look at entire career when evaluating a coach's win/loss in close games...not one season.  everything after that is nonsense.  

and why as if i would rather have allen vs mcd?  what does that have to do with anything?  we have both.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Success said:

That's it. I'm not even sure this is worth a thread, but after watching coaching all season, and particularly this past weekend and last night - it's pretty clear we have a good one in McD.  ALL coaches make mistakes and have moments you can point to that are sub-par, but on balance, this coaching staff is well-prepared, gameplans well & makes good adjustments.  

Around the rest of the league, the coaching is just bad.  There are obviously some good ones, but it's a pretty small group.  I'd put McDermott in the top 5 right now.

Always have been a fan.  Like you said, he isn’t perfect, but I also feel he gets too much blame from fans.  I’d agree that he’s a top 5 HC, which is why the calls for his head are laughable 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, teef said:

no context needed.  just look at entire career when evaluating a coach's win/loss in close games...not one season.  everything after that is nonsense.  

and why as if i would rather have allen vs mcd?  what does that have to do with anything?  we have both.

Actually without Allen I see McD as a .500 Coach without Belichick's pedigree.

But again he is growing on me and he may prove me wrong and I'll be happy when the Bills hoist the Lombardi.

I know I complained about the lack of 300-yard games but I don't think I've had too many complaints about the close losses until last year and yes it was an issue.

My biggest complaint was bungling up 13 seconds and yes that was about coaching 100%.

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

You mean when we beat KC?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Stay out of the shout box on game days then.  At least 5+ people screaming for all the coaches and Beane to be fired first quarter if we aren’t winning the game yet.  

Not all people are worth listening to. It doesn’t take too long to figure out when you stumble across one worth ignoring. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.