McDermott = McDungy

uticaclub

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

The Dorsey situation is interesting..

Obviously Josh was all over it and “approved” the appointment …

If they get in someone else next year…maybe leave the call to MCD and Beane only …? 

Just throwing it out there ..

It Lewis needs to be specifically told to swat the ball away on 4th down after being on the sideline witnessing the Hail Murray … he must have an IQ of room temperature…

I can’t blame the coaching staff for that one 

If he's that stupid then get him off the field or play Marlowe. Allowing stupid players playing time is a coaching problem. 

The guy you want is Marvin Lewis, had prime talent and never got anywhere with it, but he was just so likable.  I am Happy McD got the ship righted, but he’s an awful in game coach and I do mean awful.  I wanted him gone for the last 2 years and I’ll stand by that.  He’s not the guy that’s getting you over the hump.  I’m starting to wonder about Beane as well, but it’s tough to know if the guys he put together are better than we are seeing because with Dabs they certainly looked better.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The guy you want is Marvin Lewis, had prime talent and never got anywhere with it, but he was just so likable.  I am Happy McD got the ship righted, but he’s an awful in game coach and I do mean awful.  I wanted him gone for the last 2 years and I’ll stand by that.  He’s not the guy that’s getting you over the hump.  I’m starting to wonder about Beane as well, but it’s tough to know if the guys he put together are better than we are seeing because with Dabs they certainly looked better.

If Allen is gone before we draft in 2018 McDermott and Beane arent in Buffalo in 2022

Not sure if I can handle even one more McDermott tragic ending, soul-crushing "pulling a Loss from the jaws of victory" defeat.  I mean,  i like McDermott, the whole process-culture thing but some of these losses are inexcusable.  Just grind out some boring wins you friggin idiot.  FG's or whatever do the job sometimes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Let's be honest... he's very average as an on field coach. Hell of a team builder/culture guy though (i dont say that sarcastically either)... Lucky he has 17. We're getting into danger territory where another wasted season may come at a price on the coaching front. As it should imo. Realistically though an underpermance likely shows Dorsey the door in lieu of an established OC.

The certainly should be some discussions on what 9C options are 9ut there.  Do they bring in F. Reich who at least knows the culture of Buffalo which I think is important.  McDs process meshes well with the WNY values and I think Reich can certainly be unmatched as far as knowing how to make a comeback having the best pro and college comebacks in their respective histories.  I'm not 100% on if the college comeback record has held though he was 1 in both for a substantial time.  What other options are out there? 

Edited by AuntieEm

18 hours ago, uticaclub said:

We all watched Tony Dungy piss away championship-caliber teams like no other coach in NFL history. McDermott should catch similar criticism 

Dungy at least won a SB and I don't see McD ever doing that so it's not really a valid comparison.

A better one would be Marty Schottenheimer or really just a glorified Marvin Lewis that actually can win a playoff game (at home) here and there.

1 minute ago, Moulds 808080 said:

That's why you kick the three no pick 6. Josh Allen was responsible for loss against Jets but our coaches blew this one. 

Hindsight is always 20/20. The Bills were up by 2 scores and kicking the field goal wouldn’t have changed that. Even if they don’t convert the 4 down the Vikings should be pinned deep in their own half. You can’t blame the coaches for Allen doing the worst thing he could’ve possibly done.

8 hours ago, uticaclub said:

If Allen is gone before we draft in 2018 McDermott and Beane arent in Buffalo in 2022

Oh I don’t question that one bit, Beane is Riding Allen’s coat tails, without him, he looks mediocre.. McD would be a .450 coach without Allen.

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't actually.

You're right, the first on Denver was John Fox the 2nd was Kubiak, my bad... old man Manning going to two super bowls with Fox and Kubiak... meanwhile spends his entire prime with Dungy and went to one, the year Dungy was gone Caldwell went lol, makes for such a better illustration on how much Dungy wasted away his career. 

The amount of hate that he gets from “fans” is insane. The guy gets us a top 3 defense every year, broke the drought, and changed the culture BEFORE drafting Josh Allen and these trolls still want to boo him out of town.

Are you guys new in town? Perhaps you haven’t experienced the 10 terrible head coaches we had to go through before getting to an actually competent one.

Insane.

20 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

While we were waiting to get the F out of the parking lot and listening to the post game, apparently whomever the lousy Fox announcers were said we should have taken a safety are idiots too FWIW - awful idea...

Back to this though, the play calls were bad. It was 2nd and 2 and we couldn't get it done. After the INT and after he got off the ground, Josh chucked his helmet near the bench.

I'm not sure what changed in the second half, but we couldn't run and then quickly gave up. Now what I'm not sure of is if run plays were called and Josh checked out of them, but we make ourselves one dimensional way too much, especially in the red zone. One thing I picked up on was that Josh looked to be more effective and the WRs were able to get open better when we used motion and in the red zone, I don't recall seeing it much either, pretty easy to defend when you know the team is pass only and they are not making the D players respond to presnap motion. Put a savvy vet like Peterson there, of course he will jump the ball...Both INT's were right in front of us (Section 224), there wasn't much open in the End Zone at all.

The entire stadium gasped when Mackenzie turned in instead of trying to get out of bounds (thankfully he corrected that mistake and got out before someone tackled him)...

Now back to this thread...

@SectionC3says he heard 2nd hand that the offense and D were at each others throats after the 13 seconds (he has been a good poster here for a long time). Where do we go, if that is true? Let's build on it a little bit:

Ty Dunne Article

Sean didn't share what happened with the position coaches, those coaches didn't share anything with the players - it was just goodbye enjoy the offseason. He held a generic We'll grow from the address and that was it.   Our ST coordinator subsequently resigned and went to Jax.  One player said: " You preach accountability but you don't practice it." The players Dunne spoke to said they believe Bass was doing what he was told and through the players own investigation Sean is the one who called for the touchback. Farwell had the entire team ready for the Squib and McD told him to kick it out - that's why half off the STs were like what the hell when we kicked it out.

"After the game Emotions were up in the air, Everybody was angry and upset and Stefon Diggs was having an argument with a defensive player - just saying he was upset with the call and then Jerry Hughes stepped in. There was a big uproar and people were about the throw hands. McDermott comes in and says if you're about to blame anyone for what happened, you should blame him..." From what Dunne says that was the only time he said to blame him, the only time he was accountable to the team. But yet when he talks to the media it was just "lack of execution".

At the time of Dunne's article, the offseason hasn't started. As he says:

"There could be a leadership void on to fill on defense. The player who helped diffuse that locker room skirmish, Hughes,  is described as this unit's rock. One player calls him the most "passionate" and "vocal" player he ever met. Because of his experience, he was one player able to vocalize frustrations to the coaching staff which was appreciated by teammates...There coordinator who helped groom Allen is off to New York"

Let's not forget about the Flores lawsuit:

"Ironically, during their January 11, 2022, text exchange, Mr. McDonnell also suggested that if Mr. Flores were hired as the Giants Head Coach, Brian Daboll might be interested in leaving Buffalo to serve as his Offensive Coordinator (“Heard Daboll isn’t happy with Sean [McDermott] in Buffalo . . . might be able to get of if he doesn’t get a head job. . . thoughts?'”

JW's tweet: "There are some internal issues to contend with, that go beyond the distractions of the vaxxed vs. unvaxxed internal debate that nearly unglued the team last year. At some point ...this team needs to get on the same page as it did during the loss to Tampa Bay a year ago. Or it's going to end up being another empty season."

Where are we now and what divisions and issues still exist?

With the absence of Jerry, who does this now? Is it really Von? Is it Poyer? Outwards to the fans and media, MIller's presser was total optimism and upbeat and he is likely displaying this exuberance to counteract Diggs saying that they "Blinked". 

It certainly reads that parts of the offense vs defense division is still there and there is something that just isn't right within the coaching staff's ranks themselves. We also have to realize that some of these same observations/comments/thoughts are being said thorugh Dunne and jw, league circles know of displeasure between Daboll (offense) and McD (defensive guy). I know everyone here will have their own opinions and want to stick their head in the sand and call out the media, but what if there really is a fire where the smoke is?

Beautiful post by Reed to share here as well.  From another thread, obviously. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. The Bills were up by 2 scores and kicking the field goal wouldn’t have changed that. Even if they don’t convert the 4 down the Vikings should be pinned deep in their own half. You can’t blame the coaches for Allen doing the worst thing he could’ve possibly done.

But it would have made for the final field goal to be for the win.

52 minutes ago, boyst said:

Beautiful post by Reed to share here as well.  From another thread, obviously. 

if it was Daboll v McD, it looks like we chose wrong.  

59 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

The amount of hate that he gets from “fans” is insane. The guy gets us a top 3 defense every year, broke the drought, and changed the culture BEFORE drafting Josh Allen and these trolls still want to boo him out of town.

Are you guys new in town? Perhaps you haven’t experienced the 10 terrible head coaches we had to go through before getting to an actually competent one.

Insane.

competent v. championship caliber are different.  we had a hard time getting hc candidates in the drought due to our roster.  I’m not saying can McD right now, but another disappointing end to the season may warrant it.   

Edited by RyanC883

3 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

No I thought about that when they went for it. It would have made sense then with the time remaining.

I also thought they should’ve went for the field goal but I got to tell you the way the game was playing out it doesn’t surprise me that they went for that touchdown this game had all kinds of strange in it And maybe McD was just looking for some cushion

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.