Isaiah Hodgins claimed off waivers by Giants

Roundybout

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Daboll's playbook is more complex for sure. The E-P requires more reading of defenses than the Reid spread style WCO.... it isn't learning the plays that is harder it is route adjustment based on reading the play. It is why New England struggles to draft receivers and why Diggs and Josh worked instantly. You need receivers who read the defense the same way your QB does. Much more mentally taxing on a WR.

In 2022 these are more Verbiage than anything… obviously in the 70s there was a bigger difference between the EP and WCO and Coryell systems 

now most plays and formations are recycled … football has been around a long time … it’s primarily the way to get the playcall in … there are still west coast philosophies but you can run them in any verbiage system 

you can have run n shoot option routes in EP offense or WCO … the difference will be the verbiage and complexity 

A typical WCO playcall could look like …

Green Right X Shift Viper Right 382 X Stick Lookie… it’s calling protections , formation and route concept 

tremendously more intricate than a simple EP verbiage… and when effective simple is always better 

an EP call

F right 72 Ghost /Tosser 

Gets out the same formation protections and routes… much simpler And easier to add to the playbook

Edited by Buffalo716

I'm sure the Bills were hoping he would clear waivers and be re-signed to the Practice Squad, but they had to take the chance to make the roster moves they needed/wanted to make.  In the end, it isn't a huge loss.  He played sparingly anyway and, barring another barrage of injuries, he was not going to break into the rotation.  And maybe an OBJ signing is on the horizon....So we wish Hodgins well with the Giants and hope he gets a chance to play, contribute, and have a nice NFL career.  I think he'll do OK there as a WR 4-7, but I don't think he'll come back to haunt the Bills.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah I am rooting for dabol already to do well there’s no reason not to root for Hodgens as well we’re not playing them

What Daboll has done is amazing. There is not much talent on that team but they are playing their hearts out for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was pretty high on IH when we drafted him and again last preseason. After seeing him a bit more this year (mostly in preseason), my take is that he belongs in the NFL but doesn’t really move the needle. Good contested catch guy, but he has to be because he doesn’t get much separation. With the right opportunity, he could put together a pretty decent career, but I’ll be surprised if he’s ever a star. 

I definitely wish him well, and if he gets cut again I’d be happy to get him back. 

1 minute ago, Cash said:

I was pretty high on IH when we drafted him and again last preseason. After seeing him a bit more this year (mostly in preseason), my take is that he belongs in the NFL but doesn’t really move the needle. Good contested catch guy, but he has to be because he doesn’t get much separation. With the right opportunity, he could put together a pretty decent career, but I’ll be surprised if he’s ever a star. 

I definitely wish him well, and if he gets cut again I’d be happy to get him back. 

Agree.  Something about IHs style of play reminds me of Jordan Mathews.  

He will definitely get some looks with Gmen down the stretch, hope it works out for him

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve been secretly hoping we had a hidden gem after the glowing press on him and Davis in their rookie camps.  But due to injury, and certainly other reasons, he’s not been able to crack the roster.  I wish him well with the Giants.   He deserves a shot to prove he can play in the league. 

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I could be wrong, but I think the WCO as Reid and Bieniemy are currently running it also requires reading defenses and running route options based upon what the WR sees (and giving the QB "good body language" to help them understand what the WR is going to do).

Now, the bit about the complexity of the playbook could be true - Daboll was rumored to have a ridiculously thick playbook - but I'd bet Andy Reid's playbook is just as thick.

I think there was a time when what you say is true of WCO - a more rigid timing-based passing offense with precise routes timed to precise dropbacks - and for some teams perhaps it's true - but certainly Kelce is running option routes and Hill seemed to be.  My understanding is these days the top teams pretty much all run the same plays and route concepts, what's different is the terminology. 

It's like, one playbook describes plays in Portuguese, and the other describes essentially the same plays in Flemish.  So the Flemish speakers need to learn Portuguese and vice versa.

Under Shurmur, DeFilippo, and Stefanski I'm pretty sure the offense Minnesota ran was nominally a WCO, so I don't think coming from an E-P style offense was the reason Josh and Stef worked well, if that was your meaning.  I think they put in a lot of grind together.

No I didn't mean that re Minnesota. I meant that Josh and Stef built a chemistry so Josh is pretty certain Stef is seeing things the same way. 

As for KC having option routes in their playbook, yea, they do. But there is still a lot of basic Mike Holmgren / Bill Walsh standard WCO in what KC run. It's dressed up with a lot of window dressing but it is timing concept WCO at its core where the receiver is just getting to a landmark. Of course Mike Kafka is the OC with the Giants so I am sure they are incorperating some of that there too. But core E-P offenses are still more complex to lean than core WCO ones. There is some complexity in both but there is also more simple in the WCO... more gimme plays where a WR has one thing to think about.

11 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

All the best to Isaiah Hodgins.  Played well in limited action, just not well enough to crack the top 5-6.

Wikipedia still lists him as a FA.

You can make Wikipedia say that Mickey Mouse is president.

Good for him.  I hope he goes on to have a strong career for the Giants.  

The Bills are stacked.  We have too many guys at the bottom of our roster to carry all of them, and we're going to have to let some really good players walk in FA.  This is what life is like for good teams.  We never had to worry about these trade-offs during the drought years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.