Week 5: Steelers at Bills 10/9 1pm

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

(7) Teresa Varley on Twitter: "Coach Tomlin on injuries: Terrell Edmunds - concussion protocol Minkah Fitzpatrick - knee Cam Sutton - groin/hamstring Cam Heyward - elbow/ankle Ahkello Witherspoon - hamstring still an issue and not expected to play Others being monitored and participation will be the guide." / Twitter

If Minkah Fitzpatrick and/or Cam Hayward don't play in this game, you can throw "any given Sunday" out the window.

• Agree 4

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’re new.  We’ve had lots of discussion on Rudolph here.  My feelings of Rudolph were known and adamant.  I stated several times that he was the only QB in that draft that I would’ve been sad about drafting.  

Why aren't you working in the league as a scout? Especially since, according to you, Danny Etling was a better QB prospect! Again, Tomlin has kept ONE QB around since 2018. He's done that for a reason... probably knows more than you about football.

11 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I only said he has been given one chance since the 2019 season, in which he threw for 300 yards. I never said he was a "great QB", I've said he's a good backup and I'd want him as a backup. 

Not sure why a couple of you guys keep reading between the lines. 

Usually people don't get this obsessive over what they consider a good backup QB.  Sorry I assumed.  It seemed like you were trying to say he was a good starter.

Edited by Scott7975

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Also hopefully a good sign that Jordan Phillips and/or Ed Oliver will be returning this week.  

Other upcoming roster moves:

1. Crowder likely to IR

2. Eligible to come off IR/PUP: Speedy and Tre, starting this week

My guess is Tavon is signed to active roster (filling Crowder spot), and that Speedy returns to practice this week (will have 3 weeks to activate him).  Tre, pure guess is that he'll start practicing over the bye week and potential return for Packers SNF.

So who do you see Stevenson as beating out on the current roster?

If it's now

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Shakir

Kumerow

Austin

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Usually people don't get this obsessive over what they consider a good backup QB.  Sorry I assumed.  It seemed like you were trying to say he was a good starter.

We were talking about the Steelers, I just mentioned Mason. That's all.

I really didn't want to get into this one, but you guys got me looking through college game stats and I don't even really like college football.

2017 Bedlam game in Stillwater. The Sooners beat the Cowboys by 10. Close game, but the score was 62-52. Baker Mayfield had almost 600 yards passing and 5 TDs. Rudolph had almost 500 yards and also had 5 TDs.  In a couple of weeks, both of these studs will be backups at the NFL level. This is why college stats are meaningless and why I'm a firm proponent of Beane's approach of drafting for attributes rather than college performance.

12 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I only said he has been given one chance since the 2019 season, in which he threw for 300 yards. I never said he was a "great QB", I've said he's a good backup and I'd want him as a backup. 

Not sure why a couple of you guys keep reading between the lines. 

I'm not sure he's played enough games to determine that he's a "good back-up". I certainly would feel pretty confident it would not be difficult finding better for a QB2.

You say you would want him as a back up, for me it would take a fairly desperate situation and slim pickings for me to want him as a back up. Wasn't long ago ol Duck was the better back up

52 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused....I'm one of many posters meaning what exactly? I agree with you that some hold on to certain losses and I'm in no way asking to be an ####### or anything.... lol

Just curious what you mean I'm one of many posters? I try to be as respectful, level headed as possible lol

One of many posters who have referenced that loss from last season, many I assume with differing reasons.

That particular loss has seemed to have left a lasting negative scar on many fans, I never mentioned any posters by name because my statement was about the effect of that loss of a segment of fans and not the fans themselves.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Yeah, but at least it was at home. Then again, the half he played in his first game at Baltimore was also against a good defense with a loud crowd enjoying a blowout. 

Their next two games are agasint the Bucs and I think the Dolphins, I mean yea the Bills probably have the best D of those 3, but it's not like it's all that much easier.

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'm not sure he's played enough games to determine that he's a "good back-up". I certainly would feel pretty confident it would not be difficult finding better for a QB2.

You say you would want him as a back up, for me it would take a fairly desperate situation and slim pickings for me to want him as a back up. Wasn't long ago ol Duck was the better back up

Hodges was never a better backup, he had a losing record the year he played (2019) and was eventually benched for Mason. The only reason he ever got in was because Rudolph got hurt against Baltimore. We saw him against Buffalo... looked awful in that game. He finished that season, when he started... 1 TD and 6 INTs. But again, the Steelers offensive weapons and OL was HORRIBLE that season. 

1 minute ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Hodges was never a better backup, he had a losing record the year he played (2019) and was eventually benched for Mason. The only reason he ever got in was because Rudolph got hurt against Baltimore. We saw him against Buffalo... looked awful in that game. He finished that season, when he started... 1 TD and 6 INTs. But again, the Steelers offensive weapons and OL was HORRIBLE that season. 

The reason that we have such a response to Rudolph is that there were some on this board who wanted the Bills to draft a non-QB (Roquan Smith was a popular choice) in the first and wait to take Rudolph in the second.  There were a lot of people that were really mad that we didn't do that on draft weekend. But then again, most of this board was ready to jump off a bridge when we drafted Josh, so that goes to show how much we all know about evaluating prospects.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, julian said:

One of many posters who have referenced that loss from last season, many I assume with differing reasons.

That particular loss has seemed to have left a lasting negative scar on many fans, I never mentioned any posters by name because my statement was about the effect of that loss of a segment of fans and not the fans themselves.

Okay, I got ya. Yeah that was 1st time I thought of that particular loss myself. Was just the 1st game that popped in my head of "expecting an easy win" type games.

Anyways, all good bro. If you've been a Bills fans as long as I have there are a LOT of scars from LOTS of losses lol

5 minutes ago, appoo said:

Steelers offense worries me more than their D does, they have legit weapons with Diontae Johnson, Claypool, Pickens, Harris and Pat Fry. And Pickett might already be a better QB than Trubisky

Kenny had one TD drive. His other TD was gifted to him by MILF Lover Zach Wilson with an INT at the NYJ 4 yard line. And he threw three INTs against the Jets in one half. And the Jets didn't have a gameplan in place to disguise defensive coverages to fool the rook.  Also, the Jets game winning TD came off a Kenny INT. 

Edited by FrenchConnection

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Okay, I got ya. Yeah that was 1st time I thought of that particular loss myself. Was just the 1st game that popped in my head of "expecting an easy win" type games.

Anyways, all good bro. If you've been a Bills fans as long as I have there are a LOT of scars from LOTS of losses lol

my apologies, I probably wasn’t as clear as I should have been. I have plenty of scars as most Bills fans for sure lol

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Never been a fan of disrespecting an opponent and talking smack before a game is played. Other teams have great players, too. 

Pretty much every player in the NFL was a friggin’ star in college. The players know that. It’s the fans who talk smack. 

I understand the "respect every opponent" perspective, but barring catastrophic injury, I don't see any way the Steelers win this one.

McDermott's defenses consistently dominate rookie quarterbacks. I don't have the exact numbers, but they OVERWHELMINGLY favor the Bills defense. Have the Bills under McDermott EVER lost to a rookie quarterback?

Beyond that, we're talking about the 24th ranked scoring offense in the league going against a defense that has allowed just seven total second half points across four games. A defense which has effectively limited McVay's Rams, Derrick Henry, and Lamar Jackson.  Forgive me for not believing that the insertion of a rookie quarterback is going to jumpstart the bottom tier Steelers offense enough to beat the Bills. I just don't see it.

This week looks like a relatively sure win to me. The following two games, against the Chiefs and Packers? THOSE games we can wring our hands about. But the Steelers? I'm not buying it.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, eball said:

Pretty much every player in the NFL was a friggin’ star in college. The players know that. It’s the fans who talk smack. 

Indeed. And it’s the fans who I was referring to. I just don’t understand why we all wouldn’t afford opposing players the same respect for their abilities as the players do. I get that some opposing players are low character douches, but I still have to respect the skill they bring to the game. I think it’s shortsighted otherwise. 

44 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So who do you see Stevenson as beating out on the current roster?

If it's now

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Shakir

Kumerow

Austin

I think Speedy was ahead of Tavon, prior to his injury.  We shall see, but that's who he'd replace on that list.  

I still think they'll give him at least two weeks practice time.  He was inconsistent to start camp, but got rolling, so will depend which version shows up.  Expect Tavon to be up this week, regardless.

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

I understand the "respect every opponent" perspective, but barring catastrophic injury, I don't see any way the Steelers win this one.

McDermott's defenses consistently dominate rookie quarterbacks. I don't have the exact numbers, but they OVERWHELMINGLY favor the Bills defense. Have the Bills under McDermott EVER lost to a rookie quarterback?

Beyond that, we're talking about the 24th ranked scoring offense in the league going against a defense that has allowed just seven total second half points across four games. A defense which has effectively limited McVay's Rams, Derrick Henry, and Lamar Jackson.  Forgive me for not believing that the insertion of a rookie quarterback is going to jumpstart the bottom tier Steelers offense enough to beat the Bills. I just don't see it.

This week looks like a relatively sure win to me. The following two games, against the Chiefs and Packers? THOSE games we can wring our hands about. But the Steelers? I'm not buying it.

Just like last year any given Sunday, but this is a game they should win.

29 minutes ago, appoo said:

Steelers offense worries me more than their D does, they have legit weapons with Diontae Johnson, Claypool, Pickens, Harris and Pat Fry. And Pickett might already be a better QB than Trubisky

One thing for certain, Pickett is going to give his playmakers a chance to make some plays.  For better or worse for them, he doesn't play it conservative like Mitch.

Agree, this is basically what I said in the point spread thread.  Their offense has loads of talent, their oline is horrendous though.  Kenny isn't a burner but he's definitely mobile and converted some drives last week (and alot at Pitt) using his legs...something to be aware of.  

This is the week to get the ground game and playaction going.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

I am not scarred by the Jags loss…but that was a rookie Trevor Lawrence at QB.

EDIT:  Also a rookie Mac Jones…

Edited by Son of a K-Gun
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Logic said:

Mac Jones in the wind game last year

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

And Mac was even worse…didn’t say they were good.  Just answering the question “Have the Bills under McDermottEVER lost to a rookie quarterback?”

I didn't read that right. Also, in Josh't rookie year, the Bills lost to fellow rookie Sam Darnold and the NY Jets.

• Like (+1) 2

This should be a walk in the park with the talent disparity and the state of Pittsburgh’s offensive line

But a rookie QB in his first start is often frisky, and Pickett is going to be throwing up jump balls to their big WRs. It may be a frustrating game especially if the refs are calling ticky-tack hands penalties on Elam all day.  

I expect the Steelers to cover, but we should still beat them by 10.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This should be a walk in the park with the talent disparity and the state of Pittsburgh’s offensive line

But a rookie QB in his first start is often frisky, and Pickett is going to be throwing up jump balls to their big WRs. It may be a frustrating game especially if the refs are calling ticky-tack hands penalties on Elam all day.  

I expect the Steelers to cover, but we should still beat them by 10.

I don't care if they're calling ticky-tack penalties on Elam as long as they call them equally on both teams

4 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

This is a message board. Nothing that is posted here has any effect on the outcomes of the game. The Bills players and coaches, on the other hand, are always careful not to disrespect an opponent before a game. No Jalen Ramsey or Tyreek Hill loudmouths on this team. That's what counts.

Haha. Half of this board believes that injuries to Bills players starting from Titans game were caused by a poster here who had made a thread about low number of injuries he had up to that point :)

16 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Davis is playing hurt. A healthy Davis is a very formidable 1-2 punch. 

But he's had the familiar Sammy Watkins boo-boo foot for parts of all 3 seasons now though and has subsequently not been able to even reach the 600 yard receiving mark.

Despite no longer splitting snaps he's on pace to have a similar statistical season to the past two.

I don't question his toughness one bit and he is incredibly well conditioned.......he played every snap against Miami when Diggs was tapping out despite playing 30 less snaps.    But he's had bouts of inconsistency catching the ball in his career and when his foot is barking he's proven to be unproductive.    

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Yes...they are 10-2 against rookie QB's, with both losses coming last year.  Once to Lawrence and then to Jones. They threw for a combined 137 yards.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But he's had the familiar Sammy Watkins boo-boo foot for parts of all 3 seasons now though and has subsequently not been able to even reach the 600 yard receiving mark.

Despite no longer splitting snaps he's on pace to have a similar statistical season to the past two.

I don't question his toughness one bit and he is incredibly well conditioned.......he played every snap against Miami when Diggs was tapping out despite playing 30 less snaps.    But he's had bouts of inconsistency catching the ball in his career and when his foot is barking he's proven to be unproductive.    

Yeah the ankle issue is a bit frustrating. Started in 2020 going into post season or in post season ( I believe). I'm not sure if it's the same ankle or not, but he started very well til he injured in practice. Like I said I don't know if it's same ankle or if anyone else may know if it is or not.

But if he can somehow get it back to where it's not bothering him and keep it that way, I believe he can surpass 600 yd easily. That's a big IF though because it starting to look like a trend with it.

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah the ankle issue is a bit frustrating. Started in 2020 going into post season or in post season ( I believe). I'm not sure if it's the same ankle or not, but he started very well til he injured in practice. Like I said I don't know if it's same ankle or if anyone else may know if it is or not.

But if he can somehow get it back to where it's not bothering him and keep it that way, I believe he can surpass 600 yd easily. That's a big IF though because it starting to look like a trend with it.

Unfortunately they chose to not to address the position in the event that Davis wasn't up to the task of being a full time starter.    Your backup to WR1 and WR2 can't be the 7th best receiver on the roster like Jake Kumerow.     

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.