Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I assume the law is different in the US as, in the U.K., I would have thought that speaking to the press in this way would increase the likelihood of a mistrial - even if it is taken to criminal court, the defence would state that the defendant has no chance of a fair hearing because so much of one side is in the public domain, which may influence people’s opinions prior to the trial taking place.

Unless she’s trying to rile up the public so he just settles with her to make it all go away. A TV interview would do that. If there are inconsistencies with her story she’ll lose, she’s hoping for a settlement. I wonder how much she’s suing for? 

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

California’s Romeo and Juliet exception can change the statutory rape charge from a felony to a misdemeanor.  But it’s 3 years difference in age max. Araiza was 21 and the girl was 17.  Plus there’s everything else that is alleged to happen.

I don't believe that's correct.  From the link in my post to which you're replying:

As previously stated, California Penal Code 261.5 PC is a wobbler. That means it may be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony.14

There are three circumstances that determine how the offense will be charged and what the potential penalties are:

If you are no more than three (3) years older than the alleged victim, violating PC 261.5 is always a misdemeanor.15

If you are more than three (3) years older than the alleged victim, the offense may be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony.16
AND

If you are twenty-one (21) or older and the alleged victim is under sixteen (16) at the time the intercourse occurs, you also face either a misdemeanor or a felony…but the potential felony penalties are steeper than in the situation described in #2, above.17

If #2 or #3 in the above list applies…then when deciding whether to charge you with a misdemeanor or a felony, the District Attorney will consider (1) the facts of your specific case, and (2) your criminal history.

It sounds as though if there are less than 3 years age difference, it's always a misdemeanor.

If it's more than 3 years age difference, but the alleged victim is over 16, it can be either.

Now from a criminal conviction POV obviously the difference is significant, but again - Tyrell Dodson was suspended by the NFL for 6 games when he pled guilty of a misdemeanor charge.

Edited by Beck Water

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Whats the difference between knowing when they drafted him and knowing when they cut their other “capable” punter. 

Obviously days on the calendar. But if they knew when they cut Haack, it implies they would have drafted him anyways because they decided to keep him on the roster when they had an out. 

If they knew a month ago, they knew he was going to make the news at some point. 

The McBeane botched this one. 

This doesn't really make sense.  He is on the roster and Haack is cut because they did an investigation of their own and clearly felt comfortable that he was not guilty of this accusation.  It doesn't have anything to do with draft decisions.  If this broke before the draft, he would have definitely gone undrafted until his story played out and proved his innocence and signed somewhere as a UDFA.  

There are reportedly a lot of witnesses, including one of her own friends who went there with her, that Araiza is innocent and wasn't even in the house at the time of the alleged incident.  So clearly the Bills are operating on the information they have, which I assure you is a lot more than any of us know at this stage, that makes them feel comfortable with keeping him on the roster.  

End of the day, he is a punter.  They could have easily cut him and kept Haack or signed a FA punter to handle what will likely be one of the least punting teams in the NFL this year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well who knew any of this 90 minutes ago? Did you? I didn't. None of the media did either or we'd have heard about it before today.

I would be genuinely surprised if the Bills didn’t ask him if there were any potential or pending legal matters that they should know about, before the draft.

Therefore that leads me to a few potentials:

A) Araiza lied to the Bills

B) Araiza told the Bills and they drafted him anyway.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The suit alleges the cops prompted her to call and taped it.  This would be easy to prove.  It's evidence.

Wouldn’t they need a warrant for that?  California requires consent of all parties for recording. 

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

Whats the difference between knowing when they drafted him and knowing when they cut their other “capable” punter. 

Obviously days on the calendar. But if they knew when they cut Haack, it implies they would have drafted him anyways because they decided to keep him on the roster when they had an out. 

If they knew a month ago, they knew he was going to make the news at some point. 

The McBeane botched this one. 

ok so what if he wanted to pay her off cause he found out her age after the fact…and wanted to keep this hush?

This proves nothing is was not a good enough reason to cut him. They said they did a thorough investigation on the matter and I believe them.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

Its amazing the amount of victim shaming in this forum. And you wonder why women don't come forward. I am truly dissapointed.

Or one could be amazed at the instant social media conviction of people all the the time by other people who don't actually have all the facts or information to even form a proper opinion.  You are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but we as a society lovvvvve to convict in the court of public opinion on social media the moment we get a sliver of a story.  

There is a lot of evidence here that maybe he isn't as guilty as the rush judgers have made him out to be given the Bills kept him after they investigated the matter and is playing tomorrow still in a meaningless preseason game.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well who knew any of this 90 minutes ago? Did you? I didn't. None of the media did either or we'd have heard about it before today.

Exactly.  FSU and Tallahassee police buried the Rapeis Winston story for months until the victim had been thoroughly discredited.  Looks like SDSU and San Diego police doing the same.  SOP in these cases.  Kobe Bryant created the blueprint.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 2