Gesicki on the trade block

DJB

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Why waste that money when we already have Gabe Davis and Dawson Knox on rookie contracts?

I get it, Gesicki is a talent. But he isnt a need.

never said the trade actually makes sense from a cap standpoint. I’m saying he’d be absolutely lethal in our offense while others try to brush it off like he wouldn’t help us much cause he can’t block. I know it’s not gonna happen just talking hypotheticals

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, StHustle said:

Hodgins is 3 inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter. Not only that Hodgins plays smaller than his size. No comparison.

Does anyone really know how Hodgins plays? But given there salaries and  the Bills cap space (and the players they should extend), I'd roll with Hodgins.

But I disagree with those who don't believe he's a valuable pass catching TE

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

No way they’d trade him to us…but man imagine adding TE of his caliber!!

We already have a TE of his caliber coming up on contract. Why would we give up a good draft pick for another one?

If anything, we should get a better primary blocking TE or draft a Dawson replacement or just friggin re-sign Dawson.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

We already have a TE of his caliber coming up on contract. Why would we give up a good draft pick for another one?

If anything, we should get a better primary blocking TE or draft a Dawson replacement or just friggin re-sign Dawson.

We have a winner!

• Like (+1) 2

Knox is a good buddy of Allen's and a good locker room presence overall.  He's gotten better every year and is developing into a top tier TE.  I'm definitely in the camp of investing our "TE assets" into Knox versus bringing in an outside guy like Gesecki (who I just learned today cannot block).  Would it be nice to have ANOTHER pass catching TE on the roster?  Sure.  But roster spots are limited and when we go 2 TE, it is likely that we need blocking from at least one them.  Not sure Gesecki is that guy.  Salary cap is also limited.

• Agree 1

Lordy I'd be all over that trade if I were the Bills on what amounts to a one year deal. Negotiate a round 3-4 pick depending how much money Miami picks up. Cut Howard. 

Still hoping Knox winds up with an extension by next week. Seems a swell time for it. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Why in the hell would Miami want to trade that guy?  I've hated playing against him...he seems to be the one Fin who shows up against Buffalo.

It seems to me that for the last couple of years TE's has been a problem for the Bills to cover. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

My guess is that he can’t block.  The niner offense needs TEs that can block. 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Probably requires him to block.

1 hour ago, uninja said:

McDaniel comes from the Shanahan stretch zone school where TE’s have a lot of blocking responsibilities. 

Gesicki is a ***** blocker and has basically just been playing as a big WR in the Dolphins offense the last couple of years. He’s admitted as much so his value in their new offense is low. 

Trade a significant weapon because he does not fulfill the blocking requirements of The Legendary Mike McDaniels Offense?

lol--who will they replace him with?  Lee Smith? 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Trade a significant weapon because he does not fulfill the blocking requirements of The Legendary Mike McDaniels Offense?

Yeah, that’s part of it.  The other part is they don’t want to pay him long term, partly because he doesn’t fit the legendary scheme.  I was shocked when they franchised him as he’s a terrible fit for the O.  Would’ve been better off trying to land a comp pick for him. 

They invested a lot in 2 other much more significant weapons in Hill and Waddle.  They paid a RB much more than expected.  Committing long term to a TE that can’t block while playing the the “legendary” shanahan scheme would be a blunder

Also put me in the camp that ALWAYS thought this was a clunky fit. I was surprised they tagged him. He does not, at all, fit the Shanahan offense if we presume that is what McDaniel wants to run. 

Mike Gesicki is not, in anything but name, a tight end. Fewer than 100 snaps at tight end last season. He is a big slow slot receiver in an offense that wants the speedy scat back type of receiver in the slot. 

There are lots of teams where Gesicki would excel. But I suspect stuck in the McDaniel offense for a year his value would plummet by next season and they'd end up letting him go for nothing. The question is how much are you getting for a guy playing on the tag? I think I am right that the rules would still preclude a new team signing him long term until after the season. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Lee Smith wouldn't fit the Shanahan offense either. That offense cannot work with a one dimensional tight end. They need genuine two dimensional tight ends. They don't have to block like Lee Smith and they don't have to run routes like Zach Ertz. But they have to be capable of doing some of both. 

EDIT: and the reality is the guy they have replaced Gesicki with in the slot is Tyreek Hill. That is the position he played for them. Slot receiver. They traded for Hill. They then tried him at tight end a position he has barely played in the pros and he predictably sucked at it. 

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

One more time.  The Bills will save NOTHING if they cut Howard, because his $3.25M contract is fully guaranteed.  In fact, it will cost them $0.625M to cut him because he has a void year tacked on to his fully guaranteed 1 year contract

Ah, didn't see that, just saw other posters saying we save over $2M cutting him so was going off of what they said.  But I just googled it now to confirm its fully guaranteed.

So let me rephrase...wont surprise me to see the Bills trade OJ Howard before week 1 at this point either.  Although I am also confident that if Beane thinks the team is better off without OJ on it and can't find a trade partner, he would still cut him to keep the player who best will help this team.  But his fully guaranteed contract does make it less likely he is cut, but still a possibility if he doesn't find a way to earn his spot this next week.  Personally, I am still intrigued by him and hope it works out.  But also, not going to lose any sleep if he doesn't make the week 1 roster.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.