Gesicki on the trade block

DJB

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think Gesicki is a fine player, but if he doesn't fit their needs, why TF did they franchise tag him?  Or, if they decided to franchise tag him, why didn't they "tag and trade" early in FA when teams had money and roster space, and could spend the off season teaching a new guy their playbook and working him in?

I could be wrong, but I kind of think their trade market for a guy with a 1 yr, $10.9M fully guaranteed deal is gonna be a bit limited at this point.

because they’re badly managed, from the owner on down. Grier and McDaniel either not on the same page, or McDaniel thought he could just show up off the plane and mold guys to the roles he expected them to play without considering that they’d be very bad at those roles.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Of course. His measurables are elite and he can catch. There is something missing, to my eye, though. Maybe just circumstances, QBs, org disfunction/turnover. Seems suspicious that such an amazing athlete can't figure out how to block well enough by year 5. Or maybe the current regime just isn't interested in making it work with a tweener who might want top-of-market money, and aren't helping to pump up his apparent value to them. 

You said it… circumstances. It’s the difference between a player being thought of as “very good” versus “elite.” Had we drafted Rob Gronkowski in the 2nd round all those moons ago, rather than Torrell Troup, Gronkowski doesn’t go on to have the same impact in the NFL. He would’ve had JP Losman, Trent Edwards, EJ Manuel, etc throwing him the football instead of arguably the greatest QB of all time. In that same vein he would’ve been considered a “very good” player on the Bills, but I’m not sure if he even makes it to a pro bowl. Circumstances. Maybe Gesicki hasn’t learned to block because the prior regime was content to use him as a big WR. It’s what he does very well. Seems like he has plenty of attitude and nasty, so blocking may be something he could learn. He’s not there yet and it doesn’t sound like the Dolphins have the patience to wait. He’s not gonna “arrive” in one offseason anyway, at least not to what the HC finds acceptable for his offense.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Of course. His measurables are elite and he can catch. There is something missing, to my eye, though. Maybe just circumstances, QBs, org disfunction/turnover. Seems suspicious that such an amazing athlete can't figure out how to block well enough by year 5. Or maybe the current regime just isn't interested in making it work with a tweener who might want top-of-market money, and aren't helping to pump up his apparent value to them. 

I think to a large degree being a decent blocker is as much about will, as skill. If you don't crave the contact, you might never be good at it. 

Just a thought.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How did the Shanahan Offense do without Kittle---a guy who famously demanded to to be paid as a WR, not a TE?  

Who is the Fins slightly above average TE that blocks  well and catches?

Shanny has had top 10 offences with Houston and Atlanta etc without a superstar at tight end with the kinds of guys I mentioned earlier. 

Of course Kittle is special. He is the best tight end in football and his is a genuine two dimensional tight end. He might be the best blocking tight end in the game and second only to Kelce as a receiver. Miami haven't got that guy walking through the door and it sure as hell isn't Mike Gesicki. As I say, I was surprised they tagged him. Not shocked that they now have buyer's remorse.

6 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Here was the arc of Gesicki's career at PSU.

Year 1--didnt play much

Year 2--tried to use him as a blocking TE

Year 3--much success as big WR

Year 4--similar

Contrary to above, he's not a big slow WR.  Runs a 4.52.   He's very, very good at contested catches.  But he wasnt a good blocker at PSU, and hasnt really improved at MI.  He's like Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham.

Dolphins are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

As a player he would certainly fit with what the Bills try to do on offense.  But he'd be a luxury the Bills cant afford.

That is fair on his speed. But he isn't really a fit for what the Shanny scheme uses at receiver either. They lile shifty, quick twitch, guys. And Gesicki isn't really that either. 

I agree with you overall. He is a talented player but not a fit for what Miami wants to run. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Shanny has had top 10 offences with Houston and Atlanta etc without a superstar at tight end with the kinds of guys I mentioned earlier. 

Of course Kittle is special. He is the best tight end in football and his is a genuine two dimensional tight end. He might be the best blocking tight end in the game and second only to Kelce as a receiver. Miami haven't got that guy walking through the door and it sure as hell isn't Mike Gesicki. As I say, I was surprised they tagged him. Not shocked that they now have buyer's remorse.

That is fair on his speed. But he isn't really a fit for what the Shanny scheme uses at receiver either. They lile shifty, quick twitch, guys. And Gesicki isn't really that either. 

I agree with you overall. He is a talented player but not a fit for what Miami wants to run. 

In ATL, Mike Mularkey had 3 top 10 scoring Offenses.  It was easier with Ryan,  Roddy White, Julio, Mike Turner, Freeman, etc.  McDaniel isn't getting spotted that roster. 

My point was that, blocking aside, Gesicki is a good weapon to utilize.  An untested HC with a thin resume (and I'm being generous here) at running an Offense  getting rid of a guy because he can't block yet having no serious catching threat who can didn't make much sense to me---other than for the price I guess.  Mc

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

In ATL, Mike Mularkey had 3 top 10 scoring Offenses.  It was easier with Ryan,  Roddy White, Julio, Mike Turner, Freeman, etc.  McDaniel isn't getting spotted that roster. 

My point was that, blocking aside, Gesicki is a good weapon to utilize.  An untested HC with a thin resume (and I'm being generous here) at running an Offense  getting rid of a guy because he can't block yet having no serious catching threat who can didn't make much sense to me---other than for the price I guess.  Mc

They have invested in receivers though. I don't think you can look and even say "they are getting rid of a tight end without anyone else to play tight end" because Gesicki played fewer than 100 snaps at tight end last season. He is a good weapon. But their decision was basically that Tyreek Hill and Cedric Wilson are better weapons for what they want to do. I suspect they decided to franchise Gesicki rather than sign him thinking "he is a weapon if we can work on his blocking maybe he is our George Kittle if we can't we are out after this year" and are already pulling the plug. But the production they lose from previous years is receiver production not tight end production. 

I fully expect Gesicki to go to one of the spread or E-P style teams and tear it up by the way. He is a very good big slot receiver. 

15 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

because they’re badly managed, from the owner on down. Grier and McDaniel either not on the same page, or McDaniel thought he could just show up off the plane and mold guys to the roles he expected them to play without considering that they’d be very bad at those roles.

That pretty much matches my conclusion.  Either Grier and McDaniel weren't communicating well, or Grier actually thought it's smart roster management to franchise a large WR and teach him to play TE, while McDaniel thought that anyone can be coached up to play TE (notoriously one of the hardest roles to learn at the NFL level).

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.