OBJ responds to rumor he signed with the Bills

StHustle

I know most here would hate the idea of bringing in OBJ...most have the wrong idea he is a bad teammate. He actually has GREAT reviews from former teammates and just hated being in terrible situations the same way Diggs did. Now his off the field/out of the locker room behavior is definitely to be questioned. Anyway here is the tweet and Ryan Talbot article:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/07/odell-beckham-jr-signs-with-bills-thats-what-star-wr-woke-up-thinking.html

Looks like he won't be ready til almost playoff time. I wouldn't hate this idea if the situation at that time called for us to add a WR. As far as cap goes, at this point I don't put nothing past Beane as far as figuring it out. OBJ would be VERY good in this offense!

Edited by StHustle
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I saw that last night and was so confused. He would be a very nice option to have down the stretch on the outside esp if we have any WR injuries 

Yes and it isn’t a secret we are thin at outside WR

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Wouldn’t have posted if OBJ didn’t respond which leads me to believe he actually liked the idea 🤷🏾‍♂️

He probably wants to go back to the rams as first choice but bills can’t be far behind on his list. Plus he’s pretty tight with Von.

one place we know for sure he isn’t signing - Carolina 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Regardless of the player, signing another top receiver doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me right now.  The Bills clearly think Gabe Davis is ready to step into a starting role across from Diggs.  Signing OBJ essentially subverts all the development efforts that have gone into Davis.  Moreover, it uses resources that Buffalo could spend on areas of the team that are not as deep and robust as WR, or use those resources to extend players they want to keep if they'd like to continue their elite rankings in the league.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Regardless of the player, signing another top receiver doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me right now.  The Bills clearly think Gabe Davis is ready to step into a starting role across from Diggs.  Signing OBJ essentially subverts all the development efforts that have gone into Davis.  Moreover, it uses resources that Buffalo could spend on areas of the team that are not as deep and robust as WR, or use those resources to extend players they want to keep if they'd like to continue their elite rankings in the league.

This is why I said it would only make sense if late season circumstances called for it. I beont speak on the specifics of what those circumstances may be as I don’t like to put stuff like that into the atmosphere.

3 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Signing OBJ essentially subverts all the development efforts that have gone into Davis. 

OBJ will not even be ready to play again until December or more likely January, IMO.

No way he's coming back after 9 months like he did last year with the result he got.

So that would give Davis nearly a full season of runway to develop..........if he can't land the plane it wouldn't be because of some subversion of his development.

But even if they signed another WR who could play right away..........like Julio Jones.........it wouldn't necessitate Davis getting less snaps.

The more likely players to be impacted are the Bills sketchier slot receiver options in McKenzie, Crowder and Shakir.

OBJ or Julio paired with Davis on the outside and Diggs in the slot.........forcing defenses to put one of their top 2 CB's in the slot and stretch their boundary CB depth thin.........that creates matchup problems for opponents.    

It's a matchup league.

I think that needs to be the understanding at OBD.   They need receivers who are going to create mismatches.

To this point of the offseason it seems to me that there has been a little too much focus on hoping to create playmaking synergy by adding a bit more receiving talent at the thinner RB and TE spots rather than focusing on being better at the higher impact boundary receiver positions.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

OBJ will not even be ready to play again until December or more likely January, IMO.

No way he's coming back after 9 months like he did last year with the result he got.

So that would give Davis nearly a full season of runway to develop..........if he can't land the plane it wouldn't be because of some subversion of his development.

But even if they signed another WR who could play right away..........like Julio Jones.........it wouldn't necessitate Davis getting less snaps.

The more likely players to be impacted are the Bills sketchier slot receiver options in McKenzie, Crowder and Shakir.

OBJ or Julio paired with Davis on the outside and Diggs in the slot.........forcing defenses to put one of their top 2 CB's in the slot and stretch their boundary CB depth thin.........that creates matchup problems for opponents.    

It's a matchup league.

I think that needs to be the understanding at OBD.   They need receivers who are going to create mismatches.

To this point of the offseason it seems to me that there has been a little too much focus on hoping to create playmaking synergy by adding a bit more receiving talent at the thinner RB and TE spots rather than focusing on being better at the higher impact boundary receiver positions.

If the Bills have a need at WR late in the season, I’m sure they’ll call Emanuel Sanders. He’d be willing, healthy and able.

🤫

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Huh?

After Diggs and Davis, who are our backup outside WRs? If one of them goes down to significant injury, who starts on the outside? We're talking about Kumerow, Austin, Stevenson, or Hodgins.

The Bills have a glut of slot guys in Crowder, Shakir, McKenzie, Austin but almost zero depth on the outside.

I am of the opinion that OBJ and his agent have been in touch with the Bills. Otherwise, it doesn't make a lot of sense for OBJ to call his agent asking how much they signed for. Players like OBJ don't just have their agents agree to terms with any random team and then get informed after the fact. This situation implies to me that OBJ has given his agent the greenlight to make a deal with the Bills.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

After Diggs and Davis, who are our backup outside WRs? If one of them goes down to significant injury, who starts on the outside? We're talking about Kumerow, Austin, Stevenson, or Hodgins.

The Bills have a glut of slot guys in Crowder, Shakir, McKenzie, Austin but almost zero depth on the outside.

I am of the opinion that OBJ and his agent have been in touch with the Bills. Otherwise, it doesn't make a lot of sense for OBJ to call his agent asking how much they signed for. Players like OBJ don't just have their agents agree to terms with any random team and then get informed after the fact. This situation implies to me that OBJ has given his agent the greenlight to make a deal with the Bills.

he was making a joke in the tweet. He didn’t literally think he signed. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

we have a lot of slot depth,

but behind diggs we have high hopes that Davis steps up and not a lot else?

Shakir, Hodgins and Stevenson will be battling it out. I'm confident one or two will emerge. Not to mention, they also have added another target at TE in Howard and Cook and Johnson at RB. The Bills have so many weapons on offense I don't expect nearly as many multiple WR sets as we've witnessed under Daboll. I believe we are more than fine at outside WR.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rigby said:

I would rather cover my schlong in honey and put it in a fire ants nest instead of signing OBJ...but that's just me.

His teammates never have anything bad to say about him.  He's a hard worker by all reports.  The drop off from Diggs/Davis at outside WR is significant.  The Bucs pry don't win the Super Bowl without signing Antonio Brown.  The Rams pry don't win the Super Bowl without signing OBJ.  I would be 100% for that signing.

6 minutes ago, boater said:

Let's see, the checkbook is a bit light. Poyer or OBJ? Can't have both.

Im not advocating for either, but check the made up rules at the door 

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

His teammates never have anything bad to say about him.  He's a hard worker by all reports.  The drop off from Diggs/Davis at outside WR is significant.  The Bucs pry don't win the Super Bowl without signing Antonio Brown.  The Rams pry don't win the Super Bowl without signing OBJ.  I would be 100% for that signing.

heck, we are all assuming davis steps all the way up too. Behind diggs none are proven. I’d bet on Davis but to bet on Davis AND someone else is a lot. If diggs went down for a few weeks it would likely put A LOT on josh to play make instead of just taking what’s there.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

If the Bills have a need at WR late in the season, I’m sure they’ll call Emanuel Sanders. He’d be willing, healthy and able.

🤫

Did he say something like that?  

I haven't heard him say he would be willing to come back if needed............he told Allen he wasn't up for it physically when Allen suggested he should play again.

At 2.0 yards after catch he narrowly edged out "sack of potatoes" in the NFL Next Gen stats explosiveness index.

The lack of juice and the 35 years of age part..........I think it's fair to assume he's toast. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Methinks he's just coming up with a cover excuse in case someone catches him covering his schlong in honey and putting it in an anthill. 

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Considering the lack of depth at outside WR and questionable offensive line, I have no doubt Josh is going to have to “play make” at some point this season… similar to what he needed to do against the Chiefs in the divisional game just to keep the Bills in it.

The starting Oline group is not as questionable as you seem to believe, it has been noticeably upgraded from the constant personnel changes we saw last season, O-line coaching has seen a huge upgrade, and on top that we have better depth than last season.  Also remember, all QBs are required to “make plays”, all game long, every single game, all season long, this is not something new, it is expected, it comes with the job.

Your constant pessimism is shining like a supernova as usual, nuthin but luv Scott, you are in dire need of a 🍸and a 🚬…, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There is no "rumor" he signed with the Bills. It's him laughing at a fake Twitter sh-tposting. There's no fire because there is no smoke. It's from @BleatcherReport, not @BleacherReport.

I'd be totally for it. But this is nothing.

Sadly that gives it more credibility than bleacherReport.

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

🤫

That or they can make a trade in season if the WR depth is a problem.

We’ve got to see how it goes throughout camp and preseason. Hopefully Shakir shows signs like Davis did. 

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

The starting Oline group is not as questionable as you seem to believe, it has been noticeably upgraded from the constant personnel changes we saw last season, O-line coaching has seen a huge upgrade, and on top that we have better depth than last season.  Also remember, all QBs are required to “make plays”, all game long, every single game, all season long, this is not something new, it is expected, it comes with the job.

Your constant pessimism is shining like a supernova as usual, nuthin but luv Scott, you are in dire need of a 🍸and a 🚬…, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

Not to mention the advantages the Bills will get on rtp calls as refs are gonna protect top face of the NFL players which Josh Allen has certainly risen to one of the top players that fans from all teams seem to enjoy watching when their teams are not affected.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

It's well known we don't have 7 starting caliber WRs on the roster, let alone 7 elite receivers.  

its weird. Comparing the bills to other super bowl contenders and chatting about areas that could be addressed is considered pessimism. Comparing them to bad teams is optimism. 

rams brought in OBJ with a good Corp in place. The bucs with a better group than ours was adding AB. Mahomes has been given better weapons up to this year. Burrow has more outside weapons. Josh has covered a good bit on offense compared to our closest competitors. 

im not targeting obj but if I heard an outside guy was brought in I would get it 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.