How many of you guys are stocking up on food?

NewEra

Considering the issues bound to happen down the line, have any of you purchased backup food? My wife just asked if we should order a 3-6 month supply pack.  Some are pretty affordable too, considering how important it could become if **** REALLY hits the fan.  

i didn’t really think seriously about it until now and just wanted to get y’all’s thoughts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

My wife and I generally stock up on things we can buy in bulk. We buy 50 lbs of rice and flour at a time. We stock up on soups, tomato paste, beans, etc. We also stock up on paper products. We also have been known to buy a 1/4 cow and 1/2 pig.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Wait, what?!  Why would I need to stock up on food?

With marijuana nearing legal and cultural acceptance, a food shortage is inevitable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Simon said:

With marijuana nearing legal and cultural acceptance, a food shortage is inevitable.

I live in the Bible Belt. I’m safe for a while. 

I still have crap left over from the pandemic panic. The soups remain, the wine is LONG gone.  I will NEVER forget the Friday at the grocery store after the NBA shut down. I think some of the Publix employees are still dealing with PTSD. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I live in the Bible Belt. I’m safe for a while. 

I still have crap left over from the pandemic panic. The soups remain, the wine is LONG gone.  I will NEVER forget the Friday at the grocery store after the NBA shut down. I think some of the Publix employees are still dealing with PTSD. 

Yeah I live in Oklahoma now, you throw a rock and you'll hit 5 "medical" dispensaries.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah I live in Oklahoma now, you throw a rock and you'll hit 5 "medical" dispensaries.

I think Atlanta, and I think of a huge, world class city. But it’s still Georgia. Surrounding states feel the same way. 

I don’t care what people do in their homes behind closed doors. If you can do 5 shots of tequila at happy hour and drive home, why restrict what people do in their own homes. I’m not pro or con on weed, I just like to be fiscally conservative and socially “you stay out of my business, I’ll stay out of yours”. 

If this is about storing up for WWIII, we’re all screwed. An extra case of soup and a boat load of pasta won’t save me. 

26 minutes ago, Simon said:

After years of walking on the beach in Florida, I will suggest we have another shortage: skinny people. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Considering the issues bound to happen down the line, have any of you purchased backup food? My wife just asked if we should order a 3-6 month supply pack.  Some are pretty affordable too, considering how important it could become if **** REALLY hits the fan.  

i didn’t really think seriously about it until now and just wanted to get y’all’s thoughts.

No. 

If you’re without food for 3-6 months, someone is going to kill you for your food long before you eat it all. 

And no one ran out of food in the height of pandemic panic. They certainly aren’t now. 

Fear is the mind killer. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Bad Things said:

So, what's the newest/biggest fear up there right now?

I find this statement deeply vexing... Ironic.  I do get the snark though... 😉 Who doesn't want to feel that they have the upper hand w/regards to things they'll never be able to control?

During the pandemic "up here" I don't think we were trying to isolate from the rest of the world. Probably why in long run the US weathered the storm more than many others (of course there are other privileges afforded).  Well, I guess some were trying to throw up barriers but weren't afforded the luxury of being separated by oceans.  Ocean barriers as we found out just served to delay the inevitable.  Like it or not, we're all interconnected. 

IMO Fear = isolating = withdrawal. Throwing up barriers.  Rational planing will never be fear.  Hiding behind barriers is the epitome of fear.

I have always been a proponent of no barriers, even during the deepest, darkest days the last 2 years.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.  People should always be prepared.  That isn't fear.   What's wrong with having a little food, water on hand, if not in the event of a nature disaster? We should all have that! The Pandemic should have taught us to prep a little better. Right? Isolation will only make things worse. Never sweep things under the rug.

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I find this statement deeply vexing... Ironic.  I do get the snark though... 😉 Who doesn't want to feel that they have the upper hand w/regards to things they'll never be able to control?

During the pandemic "up here" I don't think we were trying to isolate from the rest of the world. Probably why in long run the US weathered the storm more than many others (of course there are other privileges afforded).  Well, I guess some were trying to throw up barriers but weren't afforded the luxury of being separated by oceans.  Ocean barriers as we found out just served to delay the inevitable.  Like it or not, we're all interconnected. 

IMO Fear = isolating = withdrawal. Throwing up barriers.  Rational planing will never be fear.  Hiding behind barriers is the epitome of fear.

I have always been a proponent of no barriers, even during the deepest, darkest days the last 2 years.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.  People should always be prepared.  That isn't fear.   What's wrong with having a little food, water on hand, if not in the event of a nature disaster? We should all have that! The Pandemic should have taught us to prep a little better. Right? Isolation will only make things worse. Never sweep things under the rug.

Just my 2 cents. 

Sorry, I only got through reading about a quarter of "a cent".

I wish I could get my money back, to be honest.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

No, I’m not a doomsday prepper. 😂 (anyone remember that show?)

I see zero reason to stock up on food. When I need more food I just go to one of the many supermarkets with shelves full of food 🤷‍♂️

Well, if this is true doomsday prep then supermarket status is obviously iffy...

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

No, I’m not a doomsday prepper. 😂 (anyone remember that show?)

I see zero reason to stock up on food. When I need more food I just go to one of the many supermarkets with shelves full of food 🤷‍♂️

You should have at least a dry pantry.  Can you get through a month without having to resort to living off the land?

When I say: "living off the land"... I don't mean barging into your neighbor's house with your 12 ga. and raiding their refrigerator! 😆😉 ...But that comes in handy!

At least have some Dasani and ramen for the spring storm season.  😏 

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You should have at least a dry pantry.  Can you get through a month without having to resort to living off the land?

When I say: "living off the land"... I don't mean barging into your neighbor's house with your 12 ga. and raiding their refrigerator! 😆😉 ...But that comes in handy!

At least have some Dasani and ramen for the spring storm season.  😏 

😂

Yeah I have a dry pantry and plenty of food in my house to last a month +.

My pantry is actually too full. Mostly from me buying things I thought I needed but already had at home 😂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Just my 2 cents. 

So, you got all that from me simply asking the OP what the latest fear is, for why he is considering stocking up on food?

You've been a tool towards me a number of times in the past for no legitimate reason and come across as someone who thinks they're a lot smarter than what they actually are.  Thank goodness for the ignore feature.

We started stocking certain foods around July 2020, when our chest freezer finally arrived.  Then a local market just went out of business, and we picked up a ton of neat stuff, and at a 20%+ discount.  Otherwise, no.  It's just good to have food around, and here's to hoping that the 30-person+ parties resume at our home this summer.  Lots of ribs to smoke.  LOTS.

18 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

So, you got all that from me simply asking the OP what the latest fear is, for why he is considering stocking up on food?

You've been a tool towards me a number of times in the past for no legitimate reason and come across as someone who thinks they're a lot smarter than what they actually are.  Thank goodness for the ignore feature.

"The latest fear up there" is the exact quote.  Just struck me as smug.

Yet... The island countries were freaking out and closing their port of entries during the pandemic.   We weren't afraid to cross borders up here! 😉 

Believe it or not, your freezer is more efficient with a fully stocked unit. Just make sure it's not too full.

After all, if you don't eat it, it's still cold ice.

ALSO: Washing machine and bathtubs good vessels for holding potable water during major storms.

You're welcome for the Prepper hint of the days!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

15 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Food? 

Im hoarding gas! 

Fortunately, it’s come down 40-50 cents around here. The closest station to me was at $4.69 while stations a mile away in any direction were at $3.99. People were still filling up with the expensive stuff all day long! Do they pay ZERO attention? I’m not cheap, but I’m not STUPID either! 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"The latest fear up there" is the exact quote.  Just struck me as smug.

Yet... The island countries were freaking out and closing their port of entries during the pandemic.   We weren't afraid to cross borders up here! 😉 

We weren't afraid to cross borders, because we couldn't cross.  Yesterday was the first day in over two years I've been able to cross the border, just to go shopping.  

15 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Food? 

Im hoarding gas! 

Did you get one of these for your back yard? 

gas storage.jpg

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Fortunately, it’s come down 40-50 cents around here. The closest station to me was at $4.69 while stations a mile away in any direction were at $3.99. People were still filling up with the expensive stuff all day long! Do they pay ZERO attention? I’m not cheap, but I’m not STUPID either! 

There are two brand name gas stations near my house, both the same brand, within a mile of each other, but one is always 10 cents cheaper. I'll make that short drive to save a buck or more when I fill up. 

On 4/1/2022 at 6:56 PM, Draconator said:

My wife and I generally stock up on things we can buy in bulk. We buy 50 lbs of rice and flour at a time. We stock up on soups, tomato paste, beans, etc. We also stock up on paper products. We also have been known to buy a 1/4 cow and 1/2 pig.

I grew up on a farm in the Stone Age (1950s) and I lived through the Blizzard of 77, so I always have supplies on hand, including food as well as batteries for flashlights and oil for my oil lamps.  If I lived in a rural area and depended upon a well for water, I would have a natural gas generator but I live in a city with public water.  If I lived in a tornado prone area, I'd certainly make sure I'd have some kind of basement/safe room/tornado shelter.   I think people who have lived through natural disasters like a hurricane or blizzard tend to take reasonable preparedness more seriously than many people. 

OTOH, the "doomsday preppers" preparing for the "invasion" of whatever menace du jour is disturbing their peace today are simply bat-poop crazy.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/2/2022 at 7:05 PM, TBBills said:

So what is this thread about exactly?

I assume its about disruptions in global commodity markets due to the war in Ukraine.  Ukraine produces a ton of wheat, fertilizer, and other agro products. As does Russia.  Lebanon, for example, gets 90% of their wheat and cooking oil from Ukraine.  Ukraine's most productive farmland is all in the east which is most effected by the war.  There is little doubt this war will put real strain on global food supplies. How much it will affect us here in the US, I have not clue.

Its either that or OP saw a golden goat cross paths with 3 man on black horses and the end times are nigh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.