No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson; civil deposition 3/15

YoloinOhio

He will be on the Panthers by the start of the new league year.

Maybe the hiring of Flores pay immediate dividends for the Steelers? Giants and Lions as complete longshots.

Colts are out as they are in the division.

QB spots aren't as plentiful as they were just a week ago.

edit forgot about the Seahawks.  Imagine going from squeaky clean Russ to Deshaun lol

Edited by section122

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Why do people play these kinds of games? Dude wasn’t charged with anything, end of story. 

Because it isn't the end of the story. He will settle civil suits. And the bar of evidence for a criminal indictment vs the court of public opinion (who buy NFL tickets) is a lot higher.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I thought that you could indict a ham sandwich?

A District Attorney's Office will also present a case to a Grand Jury to be able to say, "there wasn't enough evidence" to indict. This is why there wasn't an arrest to begin with. Both the Police and the DA's Office probably felt it was suspect to begin with but it became a high profile case. Nobody (police, DA's Office) wanted egg on their face when it shook out but they are off the hook and did their due diligence.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, DapperCam said:

Because it isn't the end of the story. He will settle civil suits. And the bar of evidence for a criminal indictment vs the court of public opinion (who buy NFL tickets) is a lot higher.

Well the court of public opinion doesn’t mean anything at the end of the day. The only thing that matters is legal decisions and team owners. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is an interesting development.  I was tending to believe that the allegations were true, but when virtually all of the alleged vicitims were represented by the same attorney, I started having some doubts.  It certainly has the looks of a money grab, as all of the cases are likely on a contingency-fee basis, which would mean that the plaintiff's lawyer would get a certain percentage of all moneys recovered either at trial or in settlements (often in the 30% - 33% range).  Perhaps Watson engaged in some unsavory behavior, but the lawyer trumped up the allegations and "found" numerous victims to increase the potential value of recovery.

On the criminal side, there is no financial gain for anyone.  And while criminal cases are much harder to prove at trial (higher standard of proof), the standard of proof to get a grand jury indictment isn't that high.  Thus, if there is no indictment, it makes me think that maybe there's not as much to this as I originally thought.

And moving away from the legal side and back to the football side, yes, we should expect the bidding to begin.  I really like Watson the player, but am extremely glad to have Josh Allen and not have the off-the-field distractions that now come with the Watson package.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

I edited myself from posting the same.  He doesn't deserve the attempt at humor.

I edited myself because my iPhone doesn’t recognize  “Git’r”.  

The damn thing can give me traffic scenarios without my asking based on the day of the week and the time of day. You would have thought by now it would know I was a member of TBD and would have updated its dictionary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Blainorama5 said:

Colin Kaepernick would probably disagree with that statement.  The NFL is a perception-heavy league - internally and externally.

You forget my second half of my statement. I said the only thing that matters is legal issues and team owners. For whatever reason, the team owners have decided Kaepernick was to NOT be employed. Public sentiment doesn’t matter. 

1 minute ago, Blainorama5 said:

If he avoids jail - good for him.  I think a lot of folks will still remember....

It doesn’t matter if folks still remember. As long as people continue to buy tickets, it doesn’t matter. Even if people boycott over it, there will be others to fill in the tickets. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

You forget my second half of my statement. I said the only thing that matters is legal issues and team owners. For whatever reason, the team owners have decided Kaepernick was to NOT be employed. Public sentiment doesn’t matter. 

Totally understand where you're coming from - but I still don't agree.  No need to hash it out any further tho.  It's 5 on Friday - time to get the the hell outta here!  😉

1 minute ago, Blainorama5 said:

Totally understand where you're coming from - but I still don't agree.  No need to hash it out any further tho.  It's 5 on Friday - time to get the the hell outta here!  😉

Like I don’t necessarily think he is a great role model by any means, but if he is legally cleared and the owners want him, he will play. That’s just the way the NFL is. 

22 minutes ago, section122 said:

He will be on the Panthers by the start of the new league year.

Maybe the hiring of Flores pay immediate dividends for the Steelers? Giants and Lions as complete longshots.

Colts are out as they are in the division.

QB spots aren't as plentiful as they were just a week ago.

edit forgot about the Seahawks.  Imagine going from squeaky clean Russ to Deshaun lol

It will come down to Carolina or Seattle. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It will come down to Carolina or Seattle. 

I would have to assume that Seattle is the favorite at this point. In need of a QB with a good supporting cast. They have Metcalf and Lockett. With picks for more weapons if necessary. Watson on that team would be nearly super bowl contenders. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.