Kenny Pickett's piano fingers

stuvian

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

I saw him walking into the stadium this afternoon at the combine with his hands in his pockets. Can't understand how someone that tall can have such small hands. I'm only 5'10" and my hand measures 10". Go figure. 

Can you share a pic

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The ability to hold onto the ball as the individual most often holding it with one hand might be a reason? Just a thought…

Yeah, and I think that is not the main reason a player would be fumble prone. Josh was fumble prone his first couple of years (maybe he still is, a little), and it was not because he has small hands.

• Disagree 1

It is weird that hand size doesn’t always correlate to height. Michael Jordan, while standing “only” 6’6” has 11.4” hands that check in on the top 10 list of largest hands in NBA history. Even the smaller NBA guards like Stockton, Paul, and especially Rondo have freakishly large hands. Sports-wise, it’s a genetic blessing if you can get them!

I just listed to "2 Pros and a Cup of Joe" on Fox Sports Radio this morning, with Jonas Knox and Brady Quinn discussing this issue.

Here is Brady's insight, as a former QB (not necessarily in the order I presented from memory below):

1. Why had size matters:

The NFL ball is longer and "girthier" (he says this is a hard issue to discuss without people laughing).

The college ball also has grip adhesive applied on the laces and the stripe, where the NFL doesn't (just plain laces and no stripe). The end of the ball that was painted also used to have grip.

Bigger hands mean you can throw a tighter spiral, which is important, especially in cold weather.

2. Brady doesn't know what all the hullabaloo is about. Picketts played in a cold weather school in an NFL stadium (Heinz Field). He also wears gloves (2 gloves?), which apparently help with grip. Ben Roethlsberger has done the same for the last five years. Pundits just need something to talk about and are looking for every angle to post negatives on the prospective QB's.

3. Joe Burrow and Pat Mahommes also have small hands; it hasn't affected them.

4. Below 9" is when had size becomes a big deal.

5. Tavaris Jackson Taysom Hill is the most comparable current NFL QB to Picketts, although even his hands are bigger.

6. Picketts can deflate the ball to the lowest allowable PSI, and that will help.

7. The NFL ball is actually red when new, and it takes a week's worth of rubbing to eliminate the shine.

8. Tom Brady says his balls are perfect when done, and no one dare touch them. [He actually said this when he was discussing deflation with Jonas Knox.]

9. Picketts' hands are actually smaller: 8.25" (measured sometime before the Senior Bowl), not 8.50", but you can do stretching exercises just before they are measured, which he apparently did to cheat the measurement.

Jonas Knox:

1. The NFL will never make an issue of deflation again after its latest fiasco. They will never check balls again. All Picketts has to do is deflate the ball. End of story. [Yes, he advocated cheating.]

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, chongli said:

I just listed to "2 Pros and a Cup of Joe" on Fox Sports Radio this morning, with Jonas Knox and Brady Quinn discussing this issue.

Here is Brady's insight, as a former QB (not necessarily in the order I presented from memory below):

1. Why had size matters:

The NFL ball is longer and "girthier" (he says this is a hard issue to discuss without people laughing).

The college ball also has grip adhesive applied on the laces and the stripe, where the NFL doesn't (just plain laces and no stripe). The end of the ball that was painted also used to have grip.

Bigger hands mean you can throw a tighter spiral, which is important, especially in cold weather.

2. Brady doesn't know what all the hullabaloo is about. Picketts played in a cold weather school in an NFL stadium (Heinz Field). He also wears gloves (2 gloves?), which apparently help with grip. Ben Roethlsberger has done the same for the last five years. Pundits just need something to talk about and are looking for every angle to post negatives on the prospective QB's.

3. Joe Burrow and Pat Mahommes also have small hands; it hasn't affected them.

4. Below 9" is when had size becomes a big deal.

%. Tavaris Jackson is the most comparable current NFL QB to Picketts, although even his hands are bigger.

6. Picketts can deflate the ball to the lowest allowable PSI, and that will help.

7. The NFL ball is actually red when new, and it takes a week's worth of rubbing to eliminate the shine.

8. Tom Brady says his balls are perfect when done, and no one dare touch them. [He actually said this when he was discussing deflation with Jonas Knox.]

9. Picketts' hands are actually smaller: 8.25" (measured sometime before the Senior Bowl), not 8.50", but you can do stretching exercises just before they are measured, which he apparently did to cheat the measurement.

Jonas Knox:

1. The NFL will never make an issue of deflation again after its latest fiasco. They will never check balls again. All Picketts has to do is deflate the ball. End of story. [Yes, he advocated cheating.]

Not trying to be funny but Tavaris Jackson died two years ago.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I saw him walking into the stadium this afternoon at the combine with his hands in his pockets. Can't understand how someone that tall can have such small hands. I'm only 5'10" and my hand measures 10". Go figure. 

Well maybe you do a lot more exercises with your hands.

What is unusual is his double-jointed thumbs.  If he was a pitcher I'd wonder if he could throw a very odd ball.

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Not trying to be funny but Tavaris Jackson died two years ago.

Ugh...I am sorry. I meant to write "Taysom Hill". RIP Tarvaris Jackson. The "T's" got me confused. Very unfortunate I said this. Thank you for pointing this out.

Edited by chongli

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

How many ball drops did he have las year?  

He played with the college ball. It is a completely different ball. He also played against college players. I’m not saying that He can’t succeed with those hands, but I am saying he has to take precautions that a guy with the hands the size of Russell Wilson or Josh would not have to. Besides the fact the guy has small hands, I also don’t think he’s about to be some sort of an elite or even average quarterback in the league.

3 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

He played with the college ball. It is a completely different ball. He also played against college players. I’m not saying that He can’t succeed with those hands, but I am saying he has to take precautions that a guy with the hands the size of Russell Wilson or Josh would not have to. Besides the fact the guy has small hands, I also don’t think he’s about to be some sort of an elite or even average quarterback in the league.

lol what precautions would he take?

Anyway, the guy with the smallest hands among NFL QBs right now (only 9 inches/8.5 for Pickett)?   Joe Burrow.

Thought it was funny on GMFB they did a bit and went around the table and each measured their hands and Kay's was basically as big (8.25)

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol what precautions would he take?

Anyway, the guy with the smallest hands among NFL QBs right now (only 9 inches/8.5 for Pickett)?   Joe Burrow.

Precautions? You mean like holding onto the ball less so that rushers don’t get to him or like running with the ball a little bit tighter than someone like a Josh Allen would do? Or, as he has done in college, he could wear two gloves. Those are what I’m talking about. Not sure why you find it funny.

Precautions? You mean like holding onto the ball less so that rushers don’t get to him or like running with the ball a little bit tighter than someone like a Josh Allen would do? Or, as he has done in college, he could wear two gloves. Those are what I’m talking about. Not sure why you find it funny.

yeah, they will tell him to hold onto the ball tight.  

Essentially same  hand size as Burrow, who doesn’t seem to be taking any special precautions as he has been dropping bombs under pressure.

While of course hand size "matters" to at least SOME extent, it's important to consider exactly HOW hand size is measured. It's essentially "handspan," from tip of pinky to tip of thumb when the hand is fully splayed. 

A dude could have incredibly LONG fingers that wrap around the ball, but if his hand is not terribly wide, or his thumb doesn't hinge outward in a particular way, then his measurement would be lacking. Dante Culpepper, if I recall correctly, had relatively small hands (9.5" compared to his 6'4" height) by this metric because his fingers didn't separate widely (almost like they were slightly webbed). I'd bet Culpepper's hands are larger than mine if held up against each other, even though my hands actually measure "larger" by the NFL standard. Mediocre example because I'm sure 9.5" is right around the NFL average.

Like so many metrics, there are limitations and there are exceptions. Nevertheless, Pickett's hands DO seem pretty effing small for an NFL QB, and especially for a dude of his stature. I'm sure solid fundamentals (TWO HANDS ON THE BALL) and modern gloves can mitigate how much this matters. 

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

yeah, they will tell him to hold onto the ball tight.  

Essentially same  hand size as Burrow, who doesn’t seem to be taking any special precautions as he has been dropping bombs under pressure.

I’m not trying to harp on this, but I just found out the guy had 27 fumbles in college. My point may be proven with that statistic?

I’m not trying to harp on this, but I just found out the guy had 27 fumbles in college. My point may be proven with that statistic?

27 fumbles in 5 years of college ball?  no.

He's #17 in pass attempts in the NCAA since 1956---and #13 in plays (2091).   That's a fumble rate of 1.29%  While at Wyoming, big hands Josh had 13 fumbles in 885 plays  for a rate of 1.47%.

Given that fumble rate, what precautions did the Bills take regarding Allen's fumble issue?   (he's fumbled 39 times in 60 games for a rate of 1.6%)...

Always remember Jevon Kearse when it came to hand size. He could hold a 12" ruler in one hand with his thumb and pinky. Pretell, the nick name "The Freak"! 

Hand size is a huge advantage if you are throwing or catching any ball. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.