Haack Likely 1 and Done in Buffalo

BuffaloBillyG

Should not come as breaking news, however Beane has pretty much confirmed (IMO) that punter Matt Haack will not be back. 

First off, I want to thank Haack for the excellent job he did holding Bass's balls. Not always easy in the weather he faced. He had some rough punts and some pretty good ones. By and large though the inconsistency will be enough to lead to change.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Big whiff by Beane.  He’s going to have meaningful dead money next year if they release him. (About $1m, IIRC.). It’s not huge money, but every penny counts when we’re against the cap.  Probably looking at a minimum wage punter next year.  

The more I think about this, the more aggravating it gets.  What did they expect in hiring a hangtime/positional punter?  It’s windy here.  This isn’t Miami or Phoenix.  The weather this year was horrible, and we got what we deserved.  What a surprise.  

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Big whiff by Beane.  He’s going to have meaningful dead money next year if they release him. (About $1m, IIRC.). It’s not huge money, but every penny counts when we’re against the cap.  Probably looking at a minimum wage punter next year.  

They can grab one in the sixth or seventh round of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

The more I think about this, the more aggravating it gets.  What did they expect in hiring a hangtime/positional punter?  It’s windy here.  This isn’t Miami or Phoenix.  The weather this year was horrible, and we got what we deserved.  What a surprise.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/matt-haack-22270/

Opt out clause in his 3 year deal, 700k dead cap. 

The cheer from the crowd after 3 straight shanks was still one of the funnier things I’ve ever seen. 

He was inconsistent but at least he didn't cost this team a playoff game like bojorquez did (who some fans here still think is a good punter).

Either way this should be the least of Beane's worries in the offseason and he still needs to figure out how to assemble a defense that can not let Mahomes and KC rack up 500+ yards in a playoff game.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DJB said:

Draft this guy. Routinely punts 80 yards

Yeah. This guy is legit. I watched a game of SD State and the announcers were talking about him being the next big thing in punting in the NFL (for what that's worth). About that time, he nailed a 72 yarder in the air. 

Honestly, I don’t think Haack is as bad of a signing as everyone says (and I have been a big Haack critic). 

he is an elite holder—I guess Sanders had a career year last year and Bass had one this year. And outside of the Jets game in tough wind conditions and the Steelers block, he was average as a punter. 

I am all for upgrading, but would tolerate bringing him back if we can’t find someone who is significantly better. 

18 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

Yeah. This guy is legit. I watched a game of SD State and the announcers were talking about him being the next big thing in punting in the NFL (for what that's worth). About that time, he nailed a 72 yarder in the air. 

Can he take the gas off and hit a 40 or 50 yarder when needed?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.