McDermott end of season press conference

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I think Mcd would take responsibility if they just decided to kick it deep. 

I also think Mcd won't throw anyone under the bus if someone messed up. 

Clearly he is since he keeps saying it's an execution thing. 

It's like that episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Ted Danson is an "anonymous" donor at a charity event but everyone knows it's him because he implied it, but they're all talking about what a great guy he is because it says anonymous. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, harryS said:

yeah, McD's mouth muscles needed to execute the command "Squib kick" to the special teams.

it is shameful how he won't accept responsibility and publicly apologize to the city, the fans, and the team.  shame!

He's never been wrong, but he admits "they need to get better".  Same old story.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Maybe. But that's your opinion. Maybe he doesn't micromanage.

That's not what micromanaging means though. He's the head coach, he absolutely should be part of all those decisions. Micromanaging is a daily thing, like if he didn't allow the coaches any kind of freedom on a day to day basis with the players. It's his job, just like every head coach, to be part of everything on gameday. 

It's kind of like how I felt Pete Carroll somehow avoided the kind of vitriol Darrell Bevell did for their horrible play call in the SB against the Pats when Carroll was involved and didn't object to it. It's ultimately on the head coach for me, they're the head coach for a reason. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

That was a painfu PC.

It left me questioning McDermott more.

he wants to take the ball out of Allens hands more and turn around and hand it off. {VOMITS}

You’re too deeply into this. Take a break, give it some time and if it helps remmeber the time Buddy drafted CJ Spiller so Chan could have a shiny new toy. You know, the good old days.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

When he continues to say execution I think he is putting blame on the entire team not an individual. Like it was chaos that last 13 seconds but it shouldn't have gotten to that point 

Like was kicking it out of bounds a mistake? if it was you still only have 13 seconds to kill. You should still be able to do that

But the word execution does scare me that McDermott doesn't know or doesn't think mistakes strategically were made. Which there were many in that 13 seconds 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, harryS said:

yeah, McD's mouth muscles needed to execute the command "Squib kick" to the special teams.

it is shameful how he won't accept responsibility and publicly apologize to the city, the fans, and the team.  shame!

I think it's shameful how fans turn coat and trash the coaches "anyone would be better" blah blah   All of a sudden everyone's a defensive football genius.  I know you're not saying that here, but it's right in line with people who are.

He's accepted responsibility at least a dozen times at this point "execution....starts with me".

If McDermott stood on the steps of City Hall and said "I publicly apologize to the city of Buffalo and the Erie County area, the fans of the Bills, and the Buffalo Bills" you guys would be saying "yeah, but he didn't do it wearing a hair shirt and whipping himself"

I don't want him to apologize.  I want him to learn from this experience, and do better.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

When he continues to say execution I think he is putting blame on the entire team not an individual. Like it was chaos that last 13 seconds but it shouldn't have gotten to that point 

Like was kicking it out of bounds a mistake? if it was you still only have 13 seconds to kill. You should still be able to do that

But the word execution does scare me that McDermott doesn't know or doesn't think mistakes strategically were made. Which there were many in that 13 seconds 

Given how gassed the D was, with 20/20 retrovision, we probably should have gone for two after the last TD. Four point lead likely safe and the risk/reward against a tired Chief's D flips the burden. If you miss, Bills play a much more aggressive D because they know a FG can beat them.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm confused?  You get the ST together & tell them "We're kicking it short/squib kicking it, stay in your lanes".  

How much more could it be?

I think the plan was to kick it short of the end zone, and when Bass kicked it I felt like he did take something off of it trying to do that, but he still put too much on it and it went into the endzone.

You don't want a true squib there because that gives them too many free yards. You want to kick it down to like the 5 yard line and force them to return it. I think that was the plan but Bass didn't take enough off of it.

I know what Bass will be practicing in the off-season.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

That's not what micromanaging means though. He's the head coach, he absolutely should be part of all those decisions. Micromanaging is a daily thing, like if he didn't allow the coaches any kind of freedom on a day to day basis with the players. It's his job, just like every head coach, to be part of everything on gameday. 

It's kind of like how I felt Pete Carroll somehow avoided the kind of vitriol Darrell Bevell did for their horrible play call in the SB against the Pats when Carroll was involved and didn't object to it. It's ultimately on the head coach for me, they're the head coach for a reason. 

Ultimately yes it falls on the head coach.

However sometimes you think that you're on the same wavelength as someone else and they zig when you zag. 

Just now, MJS said:

I think the plan was to kick it short of the end zone, and when Bass kicked it I felt like he did take something off of it trying to do that, but he still put too much on it and it went into the endzone.

You don't want a true squib there because that gives them too many free yards. You want to kick it down to like the 5 yard line and force them to return it. I think that was the plan but Bass didn't take enough off of it.

I know what Bass will be practicing in the off-season.

Bull....  All season Bass did the short run for kicks to be returned.  He put his full leg into it.  This is what you practice.  

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's shameful how fans turn coat and trash the coaches "anyone would be better" blah blah   All of a sudden everyone's a defensive football genius.  I know you're not saying that here, but it's right in line with people who are.

He's accepted responsibility at least a dozen times at this point "execution....starts with me".

If McDermott stood on the steps of City Hall and said "I publicly apologize to the city of Buffalo, the fans of the Bills, and the Buffalo Bills" you guys would be saying "yeah, but he didn't do it wearing a hair shirt and whipping himself"

I don't want him to apologize.  I want him to learn from this experience, and do better.

He really hasn't gotten better in 5 years, I'm not sure what's going to change now. He coached scared in last year's game in KC as well. He's still horrible with timeout usage 5 years later. He still has that deer in the headlights look in the biggest moments of the game and screwed up with the squib and the scheme late. Also 5 years in and his D can't come up with a big stop late. This is also so much about preparation. Just like his first year vs the Colts when he didn't know that a tie would have eliminated us from the playoffs and punted late, he wasn't prepared for the 4th and short decisions last year and wasn't prepared for the late situation this year. 

Credit to him for being part of the decision to draft #17, no doubt about that. But if we stop holding the standard to comparing this team to the teams of the drought and look at it in the sense of what can we do to maximize this time we have with an elite QB, I'd want a coach that matches the preparation and fearlessness of Josh. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I think McDermott is throwing him under the bus…Shameful.  No way did McDermott order a short kick…

Or Farwell.

All he's saying is they didn't execute. That doesn't necessarily mean it was Bass. Could be the plan was to Squib, Farwell didn't relay it correctly. Failed execution.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.