Great call on Howard Stern today

npeartisgod

I can hear it now, "Buffalo, what a depressing city. Robin, could you imagine being from Buffalo? Great you have a football team, Imagine being such a shithole people prefer NJ" followed by another hour of "Howard, this is your mother, your cousin Ishmeal was from Buffalo and he was a very nice man. You shouldn't say those things..."

I think that might actually be a better version of the show than what has been put on the air recently. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I can hear it now, "Buffalo, what a depressing city. Robin, could you imagine being from Buffalo? Great you have a football team, Imagine being such a shithole people prefer NJ" followed by another hour of "Howard, this is your mother, your cousin Ishmeal was from Buffalo and he was a very nice man. You shouldn't say those things..."

I think that might actually be a better version of the show than what has been put on the air recently. 

You forget where they take a detour to make fun of a mentally handicapped person.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Love Howard and consider myself a longtime fan...but I have to admit I haven't followed it in a long time.

Howard is a smart guy and changed the broadcasting world by being REAL.

Many of his interviews are the best you will find with certain guests, because he asks real questions, listens, and then asks more real follow-up questions and you actually learn the "reality" behind a certain celebrity.

Most mainstream interviews are worthless in comparison.

Of course then you have the odd fart joke and that turns some people off.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

When I was in my 20's,  I thought Stern was funny and edgy. Turns out I was just young and immature and easily tickled by the sophomoric humor.

The 'shock' of the shock jock era is over, and now it's just an old guy acting like the annoying 8th grade class clown. 

I heard that Don Imus was great. Listened a couple times to see what that was all about.  Never found anything to like about his show and can't understand the mass appeal.

• Agree 2

Howard talked about how his friend Jon Bon Jovi wanted to buy the Bills, but was undermined by the rumors that he would move the team. Bon Jovi told him it was false, had actually planned to buy a house in the Buffalo area if he became owner, and thought that Trump planted the rumor to undermine his bid.

1 hour ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Howard is horrible now.  Was great before he went Hollywood. Show is unlistenable now.

20 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The issue with Howard is he went from being a regular neurotic guy on the outside looking in at celebrity to a neurotic celebrity.   He got the hot wife, the therapist, and the celebrity friends and his show became bad.

Meh, I hate the "he's evolved" argument. But I do think some of it is evolution. Mostly I think Howard is old and tired. The guy has busted his ass to change how media existed in the USA. He is entitled to ride his career out on his own coattails. I am also entitled to complain about it. The whole production just feels so low-effort and lazy these days. I don't think the issue is what is edgy now, or whether or not Howard has gone soft. Like spending two hours a day for 8 days ripping on Ronnie for moving to LV and retiring should be about 30 minutes....once. But instead it dominated an entire month. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Mango said:

Meh, I hate the "he's evolved" argument. But I do think some of it is evolution. Mostly I think Howard is old and tired. The guy has busted his ass to change how media existed in the USA. He is entitled to ride his career out on his own coattails. I am also entitled to complain about it. The whole production just feels so low-effort and lazy these days. I don't think the issue is what is edgy now, or whether or not Howard has gone soft. Like spending two hours a day for 8 days ripping on Ronnie for moving to LV and retiring should be about 30 minutes....once. But instead it dominated an entire month. 

To be fair since they’re all still working remotely from home it’s hard to generate the spontaneity they have when people run into the studio during the show, as well as the stunts that require being in-person. And I miss the end of show segment when Robin read the news and the studio would comment. I do tune out when he gets into the long-winded celebrity interviews. 

Covid, vaccine, quarantined, Beth, boring celebrity interview who has been on the show before, rinse and repeat. 

Because I got a good Sirius promotion, I still get 100 and 101, but whenever I flip it on…see above. 

The new Howard sucks.  I can’t believe they are still paying him millions, and he won’t even leave house.  Considering her show contributions, Robin is stealing even more than Hollywood Howie. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

Howard talked about how his friend Jon Bon Jovi wanted to buy the Bills, but was undermined by the rumors that he would move the team. Bon Jovi told him it was false, had actually planned to buy a house in the Buffalo area if he became owner, and thought that Trump planted the rumor to undermine his bid.

Did Howard bring up how Jonny's group commissioned a Toronto stadium study?

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, BTB said:

Covid, vaccine, quarantined, Beth, boring celebrity interview who has been on the show before, rinse and repeat. 

Because I got a good Sirius promotion, I still get 100 and 101, but whenever I flip it on…see above. 

The new Howard sucks.  I can’t believe they are still paying him millions, and he won’t even leave house.  Considering her show contributions, Robin is stealing even more than Hollywood Howie. 

I agree, the show blows at the moment. Howard is running on his own past work at this point. The stuff that really makes me angry is editing the old material from replays. That is way more bothersome than the way he is running his swan song. 

I do think a big part of this last contract is to get the staff right. Guys like Sal were totally unprepared to go out on their own. I believe Howards contract is for the show, his show, not necessarily his pay. I think he signed for his staff. Or at last that is why he thinks he signed. Totally possible he still pays them like crap, but him existing is still a favor. 

i think there's a lot of right reasons mentioned in this tread as to what that show has changed into.  

I think it's a combo of his age, and he doesn't really seem to be into it nearly as much anymore.  he seems to keep going for lack of not knowing what to do after, and to keep a lot of his staff employed.  the show has definitely become worse with covid.  not having the writers and staff there has completely taken an edge off the show.  the funny, spontaneous moments are gone, as some of the better writers are gone as well.  a lot of that is circumstance and age.

I treat the show like a podcast now, (kind of).  i don't listen to music in the morning, so i tend to flip around talk radio.  stern is one of those channel, so i check to see what's on.  for those who say the interviews aren't interesting...you're dead wrong.  it's the only thing making that show appealing anymore.  i'm not a hard core music guy, but i've learned a ton from musicians like dave grohl, peter frampton, and lady gaga.  i didn't think of much of gaga until i heard her on that show, and wow what a talent.  i always get a kick out of the comedians, and the actors are hit or miss based on your preference.  

it's not the same show where i couldn't wait to tune in every day for the nonsense, but there's still good there.  just not every day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There was a time when every Stern thread on here for the past 20+ years would always come with this recycled post:

"Howard Stern in no longer funny or relevant."

That's not it exactly, but someone would always post the sentiment with the exact same wording in each and every Stern thread.

I would always be inclined to disagree. 

Unfortunately now I 100% agree. Howard is just plain awful doing the show from his basement.  I canceled my 15 year sirius subscription last month. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

There was a time when every Stern thread on here for the past 20+ years would always come with this recycled post:

"Howard Stern in no longer funny or relevant."

That's not it exactly, but someone would always post the sentiment with the exact same wording in each and every Stern thread.

I would always be inclined to disagree. 

Unfortunately now I 100% agree. Howard is just plain awful doing the show from his basement.  I canceled my 15 year sirius subscription last month. 

The show died with Eric the Actor.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:37 PM, SoMAn said:

When I was in my 20's,  I thought Stern was funny and edgy. Turns out I was just young and immature and easily tickled by the sophomoric humor.

The 'shock' of the shock jock era is over, and now it's just an old guy acting like the annoying 8th grade class clown. 

I heard that Don Imus was great. Listened a couple times to see what that was all about.  Never found anything to like about his show and can't understand the mass appeal.

I liked Imus but not Stern. The problem with Imus is that the show lost it’s intelligent, comedic touch. The sketches and gags were very funny for about 10 years and then Imus got nasty and bitter. It was no longer well written, just a crank behind the mic. The show’s downfall was almost predictable. 

However, I still have a smile when I remember the vast cast of hilarious characters and skits they created. The now broadcasting legend, Mike Breen, was the sports guy for years. Breen is a seriously funny dude who had many classic bits. It may not sound funny, but in one bit he would give a straight report on a Division 3 Volleyball game as the only news the morning after the Super Bowl. 

On 1/11/2022 at 11:34 AM, PastaJoe said:

not buying it .............great narrative u bought into there Mr stern IMO u were duped. No Way was he planning to keep the team local, What ties does he have to the area .....money talks and BS walks...jon bon jovi would have eventually moved the team. Noone will ever convince me otherwise.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.