Questions Surrounding a New Stadium in OP .

T master

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

My position on a stadium and all new stadiums is retractable dome, and ONLY closed for real insane weather. Like when the game is delayed for lightening, or 50 mph winds. Games like last week should be outdoors. 

And he was being a dick.

Retractable roofs are for hot climates where you need the stadium to be closed and air conditioned for most of the year. Domes are also truly meant for hot climates, not cold.

If you close your retractable roof because of a blizzard, well then you just have a bunch of snow on top of your (now non-) retractable roof and it's a huge pain in the ass.

If they really wanted to (and didn't mind spending the money) a clear ETFE plastic roof or canopy, like the one in Minnesota, is the more elegant solution in a cold climate.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

When I was watching the Rams game I noticed the flags on the goalposts blowing in the breeze and said "wait, don't they have a dome?" 

As anti-dome as I am, something like that would be pretty cool, but it's way too expensive for the Bills to absorb. We would get an airplane hangar that looks and feels awful due to the cost, IMO anyway. 

SoFi stadium is actually three distinct and unconnected structures. First they dug a hole ten stories down and built a retaining wall to hold back the dirt. Next they built a conventional stadium down in the hole. It doesn’t touch the retaining wall. Finally the put a translucent canopy. (Umbrella) spanning over the hole and the stadium. The canopy didn’t touch either one. Amazing….but expensive 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I get your point.  You are just wrong.  Move to LA.

So when you have facts against you and you have nothing left to say, just say something dumb like that.  Gotcha. lol

On 1/20/2022 at 3:33 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Pure football is not in a dome end of discussion

I've played coached and scouted for 30 plus years and I've never heard anybody around the game say that pure football has to be played in a dome

And Josh allen threw the ball pretty damn well Saturday night .. and I've seen a lot of quarterbacks throw well in not great conditions 

And I included catching in pure football so throwing is obviously included.. it's part of execution  in bad weather.. that's what makes it grand .. it's a beautiful sport

We just saw a perfect performance in -5°.. the weather didn't effect Josh

You people don't understand what 'pure football' is, do you?  you just don't get it.

Pure football is having every aspect of the athletes ability available. Pure football is watcing every aspect of football played without outside factors limiting it.

Just because for some reason you WANT other variables to take that away, doesn't mean its better football your way. You are just wrong, neanderthal thinking.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

So when you have facts against you and you have nothing left to say, just say something dumb like that.  Gotcha. lol

You people don't understand what 'pure football' is, do you?  you just don't get it.

Pure football is having every aspect of the athletes ability available. Pure football is watcing every aspect of football played without outside factors limiting it.

Just because for some reason you WANT other variables to take that away, doesn't mean its better football your way. You are just wrong, neanderthal thinking.

That's your opinion 

Mostly everybody who grew up around the game has a different opinion 

Pure football is played outside in all elements beautiful weather and bad

8 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

You're not describing "pure" football. You're describing sterilized football.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Your entire argument is without facts.  You do not seem to understand what facts are.  Your opinion, which is all it is, lacks merit, in my opinion.   I really cannot explain it any more simply than that, so I apologize if that concept remains over your head.  You have absolutely no understanding of the game.  That is an opinion most would agree on. 

32 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Is it wrong to value the endurance or flexibility needed to adjust to weather conditions?  Are you the sole arbiter of what pure football is or what does or doesn't belong in the game?

If you require pristine, unchanging conditions every week, play Madden to satisfy the uniformity you crave, but don't impose that on others.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

You want a video game not life.  Circumstances don’t need to be artificially perfect for success to be reached.  You can have perfect weather and get less of what you think will happen in those perfect conditions.   It ain’t the weather it’s the execution.  Always.

it’s all moot anyway.  The Pegula’s already stated what the stadium would be.  It is what is.

Edited by purple haze

2 hours ago, SoMAn said:

This sounds so Buffalo. Let’s be thrifty and repurpose our old crap!! It still has a few good years. 

when they build a new stadium, they’re not going to re-use old video screens and piss troughs from Rich Stadium days. 

anything that can be re-used will likely be auctioned off or donated for future use by a small college or high school. And they’ll probably have to uninstall, transport, and re-install at their own expense before the stadium is imploded.  

Didn't they just recently as a year ago or so spend something like $3 MILLION on renovations ? That is more of what i am talking about not old piss troughs thats just ignorant !!

In that $3 million reno was there some brand new state of the art video equipment that could be utilized in the new stadium Oh & i do believe that they did put up a brand new state of the art video screen at one end of the field hey maybe some of the brand new 70" big screen TV's in some of the bars in the Jim Kelly section .

Those types of things not piss troughs from Rich stadium really come on man ...

36 minutes ago, T master said:

Didn't they just recently as a year ago or so spend something like $3 MILLION on renovations ? That is more of what i am talking about not old piss troughs thats just ignorant !!

In that $3 million reno was there some brand new state of the art video equipment that could be utilized in the new stadium Oh & i do believe that they did put up a brand new state of the art video screen at one end of the field hey maybe some of the brand new 70" big screen TV's in some of the bars in the Jim Kelly section .

To you and me, 3 million is a nice chunk of change. For the high rollers like the Pegulas, 3 million is a drop of rain in the ocean. They waste more than that in dead cap money in any given year. If they get 4-5 years out of that 3 mil video gear, they’re fine with it. They got their use out of it. 
It’s a write-off!

Wait until 2027 and go dumpster diving at One Bills Drive if you’re worried about wasting the equipment. 

Edited by SoMAn

12 hours ago, SoMAn said:

To you and me, 3 million is a nice chunk of change. For the high rollers like the Pegulas, 3 million is a drop of rain in the ocean. They waste more than that in dead cap money in any given year. If they get 4-5 years out of that 3 mil video gear, they’re fine with it. They got their use out of it. 
It’s a write-off!

Wait until 2027 and go dumpster diving at One Bills Drive if you’re worried about wasting the equipment. 

I wasn't worried & really truly don't care it was a question . I no longer live there & don't pay for any thing NY in my taxes so it will be on you & the rest of the NY tax payers & it's apparent you don't care so then ya'll can pay for it .

But if i was there i ain't that proud that i would & haven't gone dumpster diving before one mans just is another mans treasure .

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, T master said:

I wasn't worried & really truly don't care it was a question . I no longer live there & don't pay for any thing NY in my taxes so it will be on you & the rest of the NY tax payers & it's apparent you don't care so then ya'll can pay for it .

But if i was there i ain't that proud that i would & haven't gone dumpster diving before one mans just is another mans treasure .

To put it in perspective, the cost of the entire New Bills Stadium would be the same as a decent sized local School District Bond in Southern California. 😳

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

To put it in perspective, the cost of the entire New Bills Stadium would be the same as a decent sized local School District Bond in Southern California. 😳

That's why i moved years ago & went to & lived in 2 different states that have a different philosophy than NY & Cali in general you can have them both . 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, T master said:

That's not what i was implying at all but if that's all you got out of it okay ...

No I got it, your money is yours and you want to spend it yourself and what you want and use so you live in states with lower taxes. Those lower taxes almost inevitably lead to lower school spending. It was pretty clear. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

No I got it, your money is yours and you want to spend it yourself and what you want and use so you live in states with lower taxes. Those lower taxes almost inevitably lead to lower school spending. It was pretty clear. 

Well i've always been taught and it pertains to a lot in life is it's not how much you have but how you use it . And the over all education system in our country is not at the top of the list so there's not a lot of bragging any of us can do .

And i would think the same goes for just how the money allotted for a stadium would be used if they use it for foolish things like statues or bike wracks i'm thinking those monies could be put to better use within the grand scheme of having a better stadium experience .

Edited by T master
  • Eyeroll 1

Well that all went in an odd direction. My point is/was that construction costs vary  greatly all over the country…but even so I find it impossible to believe that the State of NY doesn’t have some decent amount of cash that they can throw at the project. Even if not the entire budget. 

4 hours ago, T master said:

Not trying to break balls. I haven’t lived there in 35 years, so I don’t pay NY taxes.  There’s a ‘think small’ mentality that’s pervasive among the simple hard-working blue collar folks who reside in places like Buffalo. They’re thrifty and value the dollar, so it’s not surprising someone would think about re-using materials. I’m not knocking it. It’s commendable. But do you think people like Jerry Jones ever think for a second about preserving something from an out of date facility?  When they calculate costs and consider contractor bids, no one is thinking, ‘gee, couldn’t we save a few hundred thousand by taking something from the old place’. 
Go Bills!!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Is there any word on whether it will be a dome?

As far as I can tell they plan on making it an open air stadium, however, most of the seats will be covered in some fashion. I don’t know if they’re doing something like the old Cowboys stadium where there was a roof over everything but the field or what, but you’d think they’d go with the retractable roof like many of the new stadiums. To me, the weather advantage stuff is overblown and you can get more all year round use from a stadium with a roof. 

56 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

As far as I can tell they plan on making it an open air stadium, however, most of the seats will be covered in some fashion. I don’t know if they’re doing something like the old Cowboys stadium where there was a roof over everything but the field or what, but you’d think they’d go with the retractable roof like many of the new stadiums. To me, the weather advantage stuff is overblown and you can get more all year round use from a stadium with a roof. 

Every report has said there isn't many stadium events going around and it would not be filled most of the year

Jerry world the best dome in the world has 7 events playing for 2022.. that's nothing

Edited by Buffalo716

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, Nextmanup said:

Doesn't seem like it from everything you read. 

My fear is that the County, State and Bills organization are not thinking far enough into the future.  The Bills are in a really good window right now with Allen, McDermott and Beane steering the ship.  It's a possible Championship window of success. That won't last indefinitely.  When things dip down the road, whose going to want to come to Buffalo willingly and play in the worst weather in the NFL?  It might not matter right now, but someday it's going to be very beneficial to have this new stadium be a place where players and top coaches want to reside at.   Given the choice, very few really want to play in a stadium where the last 4-5 games of the home schedule are rainy, freezing cold and/or windy.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:16 PM, T master said:

No offense bud, but you build a new stadium, everything should be brand spanking new.

Well, we have a new stadium with a 5 year old scoreboard, 3 year old tables from the old club seats,.......

38 minutes ago, zow2 said:

whose going to want to come to Buffalo willingly and play in the worst weather in the NFL?  

Beating a dead horse.

The same players that have over the last 35 years. 

17 hours ago, Beast said:

No offense bud, but you build a new stadium, everything should be brand spanking new.

Well, we have a new stadium with a 5 year old scoreboard, 3 year old tables from the old club seats,.......

Hey i get it but & i for one don't care because i no longer live in WNY but i know there will be those that when the taxes go up will be the first to start b**ching about how much their taxes have increased but were more than likely the ones making the most noise about needing a new stadium .

I personally think that the kind of money that the NFL makes & seeing that Roger makes something like $44 Million not sure if that is a year or what but some of that money & maybe even half should be used to build new stadiums for each team over time especially seeing as they are the ones reaping the biggest share of the benefits from it ..

But that's just me !

On 1/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, Nextmanup said:

No dome. 80% of the seats will be covered. 

It's going to built like one of the modern soccer stadiums. Most likely due to costs, even though they say they want outdoor football.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's going to built like one of the modern soccer stadiums. Most likely due to costs, even though they say they want outdoor football.

If it’s going to remain in OP that makes the most sense. If downtown, the dome would be the ideal solution. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

To cover 80% of the seats costs as much as a full dome. The engineering is practically the same. Saying a dome costs too much is baloney. If they wanted to save money they'd have no cover at all.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How so? You still have a structure in free space. In fact since it's only supported on one side it's even trickier.

A closed roof would have to hold a lot more weight. You'd need to build to support the weight. Plus maintaining it.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:50 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Every report has said there isn't many stadium events going around and it would not be filled most of the year

Jerry world the best dome in the world has 7 events playing for 2022.. that's nothing

And a video board that play on punt return teams...

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A closed roof would have to hold a lot more weight. You'd need to build to support the weight. Plus maintaining it.

A partial roof has to hold up weight, like snow, too. But that partial only has support on one side, making the engineering that much tougher. Plus you have wind. A closed roof only has wind on the outside. A partial roof could have wind shear above and below.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

A partial roof has to hold up weight, like snow, too. But that partial only has support in one side, making the engineering that much tougher. Plus you have wind. A closed roof only has wind on the outside. A partial roof could have wind shear above and below.

Are you arguing a partial roof is more expensive to build and maintain then a closed roof?

• Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, T master said:

Hey i get it but & i for one don't care because i no longer live in WNY but i know there will be those that when the taxes go up will be the first to start b**ching about how much their taxes have increased but were more than likely the ones making the most noise about needing a new stadium .

I personally think that the kind of money that the NFL makes & seeing that Roger makes something like $44 Million not sure if that is a year or what but some of that money & maybe even half should be used to build new stadiums for each team over time especially seeing as they are the ones reaping the biggest share of the benefits from it ..

But that's just me !

I suspect you and I are at entirely different ends of the political scale when it comes to taxation and how you should run an economy based on your posts (I am a tax and spend advocate) and yet, on the point of should public taxation be used to fund sport stadiums for franchises worth billions in one of the richest sports leagues in the world I agree with you totally. It shouldn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, T master said:

But that's just me !

The league has enough money to build new stadiums for every team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.