Antonio Brown strips in EZ and retires mid game? Edit: and now feuding with Bucs

Process

9 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Yes, I agree....the thin line between mental instability and being an ####### has become quite blurred. I seriously do think Brown is mentally unstable though. 

I hear you, I just don’t think people fully realize how unique the life of a pro athlete is. At what point in their lives do these guys learn socially appropriate behavior? Most NFL players are upstanding citizens, but it’s no surprise that some would have issues. Imagine being given millions in your twenties, while always having a job after constant legal troubles and personal drama. These dudes live in a parallel universe. That’s not even taking their college days into consideration, where everyone looks the other way on most transgressions.

You have guys who often grew up in tough situations, being given the world. Their entire lives are mostly free of normal consequences the day they prove they can play ball. Think of the anti social behaviors classic rockers exhibited over the years. They also lived in a world free of consequence, where anything goes. I think it really stunts some people’s ability to function like an adult. I’m not saying that’s AB’s issue, I’m just saying that it could play a role, and it’s amazing how many players keep it together so well. 

• Like (+1) 1

So I agree he needs help, and that show he put on was insane, but what he’s apparently claiming is that he was benched solely to avoid him hitting performance based bonuses. If that’s true, that’s totally ***** up. He’s still nuts, but yeah, that would be bad. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Why?

Tom Brady tweets something cryptic about understanding him or getting him help. Fine. But if AB is suffering from a mental illness, shouldn't they be treating him the same as a player with a physical illness? I mean, we don't cut a guy immediately after a game if he's suffering from a broken leg or cancer. If Brady thinks AB needs help and that his behavior is explained by mental illness, the correct response would be to treat it the same as any other illness. We've seen notable cases in MLB where that's exactly what was done:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/04/20/mlb-mental-health-reckoning-daily-cover

I don't see any daylight between Arians' view and Brady's view. Brady is talking a good game about "getting help," but he's acting in a way that supports a coach cutting a player with huge disciplinary issues.

That’s spot on, if we’re showing compassion, we should be showing that someone with mental health issues has a job waiting for them after they seek treatment. Instead this showcases someone getting fired for being “mentally ill”. 

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

So I agree he needs help, and that show he put on was insane, but what he’s apparently claiming is that he was benched solely to avoid him hitting performance based bonuses. If that’s true, that’s totally ***** up. He’s still nuts, but yeah, that would be bad. 

I'd take his version of the story with a huge grain of salt.

2 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I'd take his version of the story with a huge grain of salt.

Jay Glazer tweeted that he spoke with Arians and Arians said that AB refused to go into the game twice so he told him to get out.

That makes no sense at all

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s spot on, if we’re showing compassion, we should be showing that someone with mental health issues has a job waiting for them after they seek treatment. Instead this showcases someone getting fired for being “mentally ill”. 

Some forms of mental health issues may not be fixable to the point where the person can perform in their prior occupation successfully - and maybe not on the time horizon of an NFL career in any case. There's also no clear evidence he wants help nor that he hasn't already been treated previously (for what, I am unclear). Finally, we don't even know that he was fired; he appeared to quit. 

15 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Why?

Tom Brady tweets something cryptic about understanding him or getting him help. Fine. But if AB is suffering from a mental illness, shouldn't they be treating him the same as a player with a physical illness? I mean, we don't cut a guy immediately after a game if he's suffering from a broken leg or cancer. If Brady thinks AB needs help and that his behavior is explained by mental illness, the correct response would be to treat it the same as any other illness. We've seen notable cases in MLB where that's exactly what was done:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/04/20/mlb-mental-health-reckoning-daily-cover

I don't see any daylight between Arians' view and Brady's view. Brady is talking a good game about "getting help," but he's acting in a way that supports a coach cutting a player with huge disciplinary issues.

I don’t give a rip what Brady or Arians have to say about this. AB is clearly a guy who is not “right”. I’m not going to play therapist on the internet. This is not as simple as fixing an ACL. The guy clearly needs help, and I’m hoping he gets what he needs. It’s not about football, it’s about a human being. 

13 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Do you worry this much about everyone with mental health issues or just him because he's a pro athlete?

Yes. I don’t care if he ever plays football again. 

34 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He definitely did not have the public issues before then.  Unless that was just the Steelers keeping things quiet while they wanted him there, his real problems started after 2016 when he took that hit from Burflict. 

He was a problem in that locker room for years before Burfict hit him.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Just because he’s rich doesn’t mean we shouldn’t empathize.  This is a sad situation.  We simply do not treat mental health issues well in this country.  He’s clearly sick and in need of help and it could end really poorly.

If being an egotistical ahole is a treatable condition then I’m all for it. He is a scumbag of the highest order. Nothing to do with head trauma… stop feeling bad for this guy.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Whats worse ; AB refusing to go back into the game or Vontae Davis quitting at halftime ??

Vontae, by a mile.

It was just way more random, and I don't think he suffers mental illness.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.