If the Bills re-sign Edmunds, they're stupid.

damj

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Conlan had a few good years, fragile oft hurt, Talley was better…. London undersized struggled vs the run, not sure who the third one is. 

Was editing when you responded, Spielman, could add a pre injured Cowart as.well. The whole London atruggled.vs the run or made tackles 15 yards down the field was overblown in my opinion, at least he made them. Daryl was an outside linebacker though and Maddox was in the middle right?

On 12/12/2021 at 8:14 PM, nedboy7 said:

We get that call in the endzone and we win.  So no I am not obsessed with one players bad play.  These non stop bashing threads are just people having tantrums.  Same ***** every single day on here. 

By the same group of people.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billrooter said:

Was editing when you responded, Spielman, could add a pre injured Cowart as.well. The whole London atruggled.vs the run or made tackles 15 yards down the field was overblown in my opinion, at least he made them. Daryl was an outside linebacker though and Maddox was in the middle right?

Cowart was going to be Patrick Willis until he got hurt. That was almost my point. Wasn’t Speilman olb? 

It’s one of those positions I can’t remember a long term stud in the entire history of the team

poz glass

kiko bust

Sheppard slow 

Preston Brown coverage liability 

Takeo Spikes short rental

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I checked out of curiosity, Edmunds is currently rated the #45 LB out of 83 per PFF. That's the best ranking he's had in 4 years.

2018: 67/91

2019: 47/89

2020: 74/83

2021: 45/83

I've seen mentions of Devin White a lot; he's generally been worse per PFF. He does make the splash plays that Edmunds doesn't, but having watched almost every game of White's career; he too ends up out of place a ton, but he's surrounded by far better players in the front 7, including Lavonte David, who is as good a LB as anyone in the league.

Devin White:

2019: 67/89

2020: 62/83

2021: 74/83

My personal opinion: I assumed we would pick up Edmunds' option and I think we'll likely re-sign him but I disagree with both of those things. To me, he is the exact kind of luxury we can't really afford to keep on this team.

Supporting cast does matter, look how edmunds looked last year without Milano. The pff data is interesting, I knew edmunds looked better this year than last year. But pff lost me when they gave cody ford a decent grade against the jags, pff didn't take into account ford was getting away with holding damn near every play and josh was dipping out of the pocket immediately lol

4 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

If we trade him this off-season, does it leave us with any dead cap? I don't understand how trades work in this regard.

No, but that basically makes him untradeable because nobody is giving up picks for the right to pay him $13,000,000 for one season and then have him be a FA.  Cutting him would make it all a dead cap hit.  He’s a Bill in 2022.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Cowart was going to be Patrick Willis until he got hurt. That was almost my point. Wasn’t Speilman olb? 

It’s one of those positions I can’t remember a long term stud in the entire history of the team

poz glass

kiko bust

Sheppard slow 

No Spiel man was an inside backer, god I wish we would have somehow drafted him, he was something else. Cowart was a stud a shame he got hurt.and wasn't the same after. Kiko looked great his rookie year and wouldn't call him a bust. 

2 hours ago, Billl said:

No, but that basically makes him untradeable because nobody is giving up picks for the right to pay him $13,000,000 for one season and then have him be a FA.  Cutting him would make it all a dead cap hit.  He’s a Bill in 2022.

Exactly,  I've been saying all week we're stuck with him and that 12.7M.  Love for us to return to a true 4-3. Leave Klein as the Mike and put 49/58 outside. But then it requires Dermott to scrub the nickel. Which he'd probably never do. So did I mention we're stuck.....

I’m not exactly sure where to put this, but Joe Buscaglia has a great write up on the walk off TD pass in the Athletic. It’s behind a pay wall, but worth it. 

How did the Bills defense fall apart on the Buccaneers’ OT winner? All-22 film review 

in a nutshell, Pats had crossers. Either 39 or 30 missed the call. Probably 30 cause he’s new. 

Edmunds did his best to clean up the mess. He’s not at fault for this play. 

Edited by pennstate10
Spelling

7 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

I’m not exactly sure where to put this, but Joe Buscaglia has a great write up on the walk off TD pass in the Athletic. It’s behind a pay wall, but worth it. 

How did the Bills defense fall apart on the Buccaneers’ OT winner? All-22 film review 

in a nutshell, Pars had crosses. Either 39 or 30 missed the call. Probably 30 cause he’s new. 

Edmunds did his best to clean up the mess. He’s not at fault for this play. 

Regardless, i feel it would be unwise to extend him...there is plenty of other film to back that up...

I would sign him to the Milano deal but that would be as high as I went. His instincts are not good, he never hits the right rushing gap and he gets thrown around when he is near the LOS. You are basically signing a LB who is good in coverage and that’s it. He doesn’t create many turnovers and he doesn’t get sacks. The only thing that he has working for him is that he is young and will probably get a little better. 

On 12/15/2021 at 11:28 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The Bills have always always always had issues with inside linebacker play.

No issue here upgrading Edmunds, or any other position for that matter, but I’d love to hear who that upgrade is going to be.

Klein is better football player at ML.

Edmunds needs to play outside before i give him big deal.

On 12/15/2021 at 4:09 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

poz glass

kiko bust

Sheppard slow 

I'd say Poz was my favorite Bills LB since I've been a fan 2000s on.

I'd love to have someone like him again, not that he was a world beater or anything

• Agree 1

Always thought that Milano and Edmunds needed to swap spots. Milano is far better at sticking his nose in and shedding blocks and making those tough tackles. Edmunds needs to be moved to OLB but he CANNOT return on a long term deal as our MLB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

On 12/15/2021 at 2:55 PM, billrooter said:

Conlan, Fletcher, Spielman, and Cowart (pre Injury) disagree with you.

yes. And Mark Maddox was a stud and still improving until he tore his ACL on MNF vs Browns doing what i always said is dangerous and players should never do. 

Just a little late to the tackle pile and instead of diving over it he hurdles and catches his leg under himself as he lands awkwardly and blows his ACL. I could have cried. 😥

Maybe diving would increase shoulder on elbow injury but i take that over ACL.

39 minutes ago, DJB said:

Always thought that Milano and Edmunds needed to swap spots. Milano is far better at sticking his nose in and shedding blocks and making those tough tackles. Edmunds needs to be moved to OLB but he CANNOT return on a long term deal as our MLB.

I agree. But ideally, shouldn't all linebackers have Milano's mentality?

To me it just seems like a prerequisite. It's what frustrates me the most about Edmunds

Edited by FormerlyPT5P
  • Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would sign him to the Milano deal but that would be as high as I went. His instincts are not good, he never hits the right rushing gap and he gets thrown around when he is near the LOS. You are basically signing a LB who is good in coverage and that’s it. He doesn’t create many turnovers and he doesn’t get sacks. The only thing that he has working for him is that he is young and will probably get a little better. 

never will understand the thought.
 The player is either worth keeping or not.

and he is ONLY worth keeping if he is worth paying.
Milano is fine example.

If a player is Okay ? He is not nearly good enough.

Role players can live near vet min.

If Mc Beanes need to adjust away from Tremaine over next two years? I would not fault them.
MLB really should should be able to blow a RB out of his socks before he reaches the line of scrimmage.

and should be feared.

Klein his second season here made big plays
I like that red haired lunatic who excels on teams lined up on run plays.

Killer attitude 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

well, we have the rest of this season and hopefully playoffs to get a final 4 year grade on edumnds.  he has the attributes physically to be really good or great, but his skills and his mind are very much in question.

part of the issue w how mcd runs his d (which has had great success here and in other places, so you can't just say blow it all up right now) is he demands such a variety of skills from his LBs, puts his DBs in an advantage position (which is great) and needs his DL to be endlessly running so he wants basically 8 starters there (mad expensive, and in our case we have two lines of solid back ups, but lacking in top notch talent and just a dearth of physicality).  so while i'd love to see edmunds upgraded, im not sure who can come along and be the keuchly for us.

18 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

never will understand the thought.
 The player is either worth keeping or not.

and he is ONLY worth keeping if he is worth paying.
Milano is fine example.

If a player is Okay ? He is not nearly good enough.

Role players can live near vet min.

If Mc Beanes need to adjust away from Tremaine over next two years? I would not fault them.
MLB really should should be able to blow a RB out of his socks before he reaches the line of scrimmage.

and should be feared.

Klein his second season here made big plays
I like that red haired lunatic who excels on teams lined up on run plays.

Killer attitude 

He is only 23 years old and still has room to grow. I keep forgetting how young he was when he entered the NFL. I feel like with the right contact he is worth the risk to see if he can turn into a elite NFL mlb. 

On 12/16/2021 at 9:12 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He's not even worth Milano money. He does 50% of his job well on pass coverage.  Whoopdedo.....last I checked there's still alot of NFL teams not afraid to run the ball down our throat.  Not so Tremainedous just sucks at all aspects of run support. And therefore he's a liability. If he wants to try OLB for under $10M fine?

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/17/2021 at 2:53 PM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He is only 23 years old and still has room to grow. I keep forgetting how young he was when he entered the NFL. I feel like with the right contact he is worth the risk to see if he can turn into a elite NFL mlb. 

False narrative C O K
plenty of time
he is not instinctual as to where the ball is or where the play is going. And will not play downhill to blow up the RB and or play. He plays horizontally and arm tackles
 Not a hater

But absolutely want a new MLB this off season

On 12/17/2021 at 5:16 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

He's not even worth Milano money. He does 50% of his job well on pass coverage.  Whoopdedo.....last I checked there's still alot of NFL teams not afraid to run the ball down our throat.  Not so Tremainedous just sucks at all aspects of run support. And therefore he's a liability. If he wants to try OLB for under $10M fine?

Thing is , he tries to do exactly what is asked of him.
 even when it is certainly needed he need to get off the block and make the play.
he must have weak legs   lol cause he cannot drive a blocker backward

ever

• Agree 1

Barkevious Mingo was also a monster athlete. I really don't want to hear about it if that's his best attribute.

Pretty sure Ray Lewis would have still been an elite LB if he was an average athlete. His aggressive mentality and football instincts were really what separated him.

I also think there's plenty more Jon Beasley's and London Fletchers that get criminally overlooked compared to the Edmunds and Mingo's of the world.

To summarize, I think a good LB's best attribute is how well they can play football. 

Edited by FormerlyPT5P

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Edmunds played great again today and more people gushing over him.  Just saying

Can’t remember a more hated/bashed bill who is actually good that contributes greatly in numerous ways to the number one yards and scoring defense 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Pbomb said:

Can’t remember a more hated/bashed bill who is actually good that contributes greatly in numerous ways to the number one yards and scoring defense 

Ya.  If he was picked in 2nd he'd be loved.  It's the trade up everyone hates

Just now, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I’ll rewatch the game, but that vaunted jet offense doesn’t exactly make me hopeful that TE is a stud. 

You do realize all the experts think he's great right.  Jets coach gushed over him.  Announcers today gushed.  Every week someone does.  Maybe we should resign Brandon spikes as it seems that's what people think linebackers should be.    

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

You do realize all the experts think he's great right.  Jets coach gushed over him.  Announcers today gushed.  Every week someone does.  Maybe we should resign Brandon spikes as it seems that's what people think linebackers should be.    

How dare you post this. Random TBD members who spend their afternoons drinking 40s know far more than paid NFL coaches, pundits, and former players. Didn’t you get the message? The truly informed know Tremaine is a horrible player.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

As I said, I’ll rewatch the game and make my assessment.  Somewhat difficult to do being at the stadium. I’ll make my own judgment and not rely on these “experts” you speak of. 

Edmunds played pretty well today against a putrid depleted Jets offense. The good offenses take adavantage of Edmunds overpursuit and lack of physicality.  Edmunds is a tremendous ath,lete that looks good at times but the lack of instinct, physicality, and inabilty to get off blocks will always hold him back from being a complete LB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Edmunds is huge to this defense. It took me understanding his role. The run game shot is annoying.

But him being a giant fn human obstacle in passing lanes is a MUST in mcds unit. He's basically the biggest zone db smack dab in the middle. 

Champ Baileys stat line used to loom like he didn't play... same thing here. His shortcoming are glaring, but the things that DON'T happen because of him are harder to see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

As I said, I’ll rewatch the game and make my assessment.  Somewhat difficult to do being at the stadium. I’ll make my own judgment and not rely on these “experts” you speak of. 

That’s the problem here, though

Edited by ctk232
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.