RBs or Lack Of

billsfan_34

9 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Which in retrospect looks terrible 

Oh I totally agree. 100%. I wanted ettienne in the worst way. Thought he would complete this offense. Give us a dynamic playmaker in the run game as well as the passing game. Well he was picked before us, but I still think they targeted Rousseau. 

In the second round, there is no excuse for dipping into DE again. They seemed to consider moving up a few spots to get Basham. He was their guy. We could have have had Creed Humphery. Imagine how that would change our offensive line. Just from one pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Oh I totally agree. 100%. I wanted ettienne in the worst way. Thought he would complete this offense. Give us a dynamic playmaker in the run game as well as the passing game. Well he was picked before us, but I still think they targeted Rousseau. 

In the second round, there is no excuse for dipping into DE again. They seemed to consider moving up a few spots to get Basham. He was their guy. We could have have had Creed Humphery. Imagine how that would change our offensive line. Just from one pick. 

I agree with you about Creed Humphrey watching him Sunday night against Denver’s pretty good D he looked fantastic 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Thru the 90s, the drought, I have never known this team to be so awful at RB.  

Ever.  

If it isn't them then it's coaching and scheme.  Then you're looking at the RB coach, Bobby Johnson, and Daboll 

This may be the worst RB core we have ever had and I lived through Ronnie Harmon lol 

• Haha (+1) 1

I’d give Antonio Williams one shot to see if you can get something out of the Oline. I keep going back and fourth on who I blame and what actually might be ok. At this point, I’m willing to give a completely new RB a game to do something. We aren’t able to run it with what we have so there’s absolutely nothing to lose. Give that kid a shot and see if it’s a RB issue. I think this season is basically over now and making the playoffs would be a miracle. The way you spring those strange runs is usually by shaking something up. Make Williams the starter Sunday and see if you can’t find lightning in a bottle for 2 months. There is nothing to lose.

McDermott is too concerned with the culture of the locker room that he would choose it over talent. I also do not think Beane and McDermott know how to properly evaluate talent on the offensive side of the ball. Anyone worth a damn was acquired and not developed and I honestly think they stumbled into Josh Allen.

10 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

They've tried???  No, they have tried - on a budget.

We need to spend more than a 3rd round pick on a RB!

You might say RBs are a "dime a dozen" but you get what you pay for.

When your QB is your best runner, you have a problem. It was a glaring problem Monday night.

You likely need to spend more than a third to get a franchise back. More like a second to stack the odds in your favour. But you can find good backs just about anywhere. Its clear the Bills don’t know how to evaluate them relative to the team’s requirements. Smart teams likely knew Moss and Singletary did not transition well to the pro game (certainly as a pair of third round picks) even though they were good in college. I’ve puzzled over whether the fault lies with scouting or the GM but in reality the buck properly stops with Beane.

The Moss pick was just horrible.   Of the 28 rbs who ran at the 2020 combine Moss had the 4th slowest 40 time but somehow went in the 3rd round.  Hes a combination of slow and no power.   Hes averaging 3.4 yds per carry.   Motor 4.6.   When veteran rbs ypc average is 3.4 its usually when they are fazed out or retire.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

The Moss pick was just horrible.   Of the 28 rbs who ran at the 2020 combine Moss had the 4th slowest 40 time but somehow went in the 3rd round.  Hes a combination of slow and no power.   Hes averaging 3.4 yds per carry.   Motor 4.6.   When veteran rbs ypc average is 3.4 its usually when they are fazed out or retire.

Frank Gore averaged 3.5 per carry last year.

At age 37.

For the Jets.

7 hours ago, whorlnut said:

The old problem of "drafting for need" instead of best player available. 

6 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

"wE'Re FiNe At RuNnInG BaCk" <- Every rose colored glasses homer on this board around draft time. 
writing has been on the wall... trust what your eyes tell you. 

They're not good. They wont ever be good, and our FO is suspect as hell. 

A first round RB would look great getting hit in the backfield.

in an era when RBs are the lowest paid as a % of cap as they've ever been, and are viewed as fungible, it is shocking to me we have 3 rbs on the active roster who either can't run, can't break tackles, or can't hold onto the ball (in some cases several of these at once!).

given what we pay addison, butler, and sanders (who while fairly capable, is simply just a guy who replaces a basically equivalent player on O when he lines up, can't block, and it small) who are at best part time players, it's funny that we couldn't sign an OG and a real nfl RB this off season.

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

god williams sucks this season.

51 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Bobby Johnson really coaching the guys up.   Was only the entire right side of the line blown up.  Including 2 TEs that couldnt block one guy.

Edited by billsfan714

10 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

It’s not the rb’s.    It’s the 💩 run blocking OL. 

Stop pretending these are good RB's and it's all on the Offensive Line. If you're going to be small like Singletary, you need to be fast, strong, or shifty. He's not fast, not strong, and has average at best shiftiness and vision. Moss has power... and nothing else. 

We treat Singletary busting out one 17 yard run a game like other people treat 100+ yards and two TDs. We rushed the ball 19 times for 60 yards. Remove the one 17 yard scamper at the end of the game and it was 18 for 43. And it's not like last night was a mirage. Consistently over two seasons when we need the RB's to step up, they can't. 

Rhamondre Stevenson - forced NINE missed tackles on 24 carries.

Bills RB's - forced ONE missed tackle on 19 carries.

Could the run blocking be better? Sure. But if these were good Running Backs, they'd still be making more plays on their own then they are. We have bad blocking AND bad running backs.

One doesn't completely negate the other. A Running Back that can make defenders miss or break tackles makes a Line look better just as opening up holes makes a Running Back look better. We have neither.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Lets face it, our backs are not NFL caliber. Neither Singletary or Moss can hit the hole, get to the edge or break tackles. Moss, does on occasion, run over a few safeties here and there.

I thought it was a big mistake this past offseason not getting a big bruising back with some burst, and tonight proved how bad we are at the position. 

We gave up 200 plus on the ground, and couldn’t run at all. This is on Beane.

Playoffs??? Playoffs??? (Jim Mora).

Let’s face it out OL isn’t NFL caliber. Start there before you get to the RBs 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Let’s face it out OL isn’t NFL caliber. Start there before you get to the RBs 

I think we are all aware our O line stinks. Our “‘main” back is a dwarf who runs a 4.6 with no power. Moss is slow and fat, missed a sure TD last night because well, he lacks vision. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Are there any teams the Bills played this season so far, that you would not trade our RBs for the other teams RB's?  The Bills are RBs are arguably the worst in the league.  Ravens pick are down to using Davonta Freeman and he looks 10x better than the Bills RBs.  If the Bills cut Singletary or Moss, it is not obvious they are picked up by any NFL team. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

would the first round running back run like he's got Christmas hams for feet? or would the first round back have the ability to run past the L.O.S instead of up the back of the center or guard when they actually do block their assignments? These two are the worst pair of running backs buffalo has ever had since i've been cognitively aware of football... and it's not even close. Bobby Johnson is to blame for most of this garbage, but even IF the line blocked well, these two absolute busts scare nobody. 

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

I think we are all aware our O line stinks. Our “‘main” back is a dwarf who runs a 4.6 with no power. Moss is slow and fat, missed a sure TD last night because well, he lacks vision. 

And yet they would perform like all RBs do if Bills had an Avg OL

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan714 said:

Bobby Johnson really coaching the guys up.   Was only the entire right side of the line blown up.  Including 2 TEs that couldnt block one guy.

We have so little confidence (rightfully so) in our running game that we don't even run revrse boots off of that.  

I can see the coaches in film leading up to this game talking about it:

McD:

"Nah Dabes they are too sound they won't bite on anything they cover every blade of grass."

That's how it feels like we're coaching to me.  The other team dictates.  We either respond poorly or take too long to do it 

Best game of the year we're halftime adjustments vs Miami. 

I can't think of anything else.  

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Like a 1000 yard rushing 1500 total yard rookie RB?

Then you clearly haven’t watched any Steelers games. But keep stay watching 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Agreed.

Agreed but that doesn't mean he's good either. Just the lesser of three evils.

Reference Jeremy I completely agree. McD arrogance and married to his way is going to cost this team more than it already has. 

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Reference Jeremy I completely agree. McD arrogance and married to his way is going to cost this team more than it already has. 

We know Jeremy.  They can't run - AT ALL.

He's been one of the leaders of the "RBs don't matter" brigade.....just like he was with goalies.  

See struggles of both teams.  

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

We know Jeremy.  They can't run - AT ALL.

He's been one of the leaders of the "RBs don't matter" brigade.....just like he was with goalies.  

See struggles of both teams.  

RBs don’t matter. Been proven over and over again. 

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Stop pretending these are good RB's and it's all on the Offensive Line. If you're going to be small like Singletary, you need to be fast, strong, or shifty. He's not fast, not strong, and has average at best shiftiness and vision. Moss has power... and nothing else. 

We treat Singletary busting out one 17 yard run a game like other people treat 100+ yards and two TDs. We rushed the ball 19 times for 60 yards. Remove the one 17 yard scamper at the end of the game and it was 18 for 43. And it's not like last night was a mirage. Consistently over two seasons when we need the RB's to step up, they can't. 

Rhamondre Stevenson - forced NINE missed tackles on 24 carries.

Bills RB's - forced ONE missed tackle on 19 carries.

Could the run blocking be better? Sure. But if these were good Running Backs, they'd still be making more plays on their own then they are. We have bad blocking AND bad running backs.

One doesn't completely negate the other. A Running Back that can make defenders miss or break tackles makes a Line look better just as opening up holes makes a Running Back look better. We have neither.

You should ask Beane to step down.    Lmao @ making the DT’’s and LB’s miss that plug every hole.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.