Nicotine withdrawal is a wonder

Draconator

I quit smoking New Years Eve 2019. I have been chewing Nicotine gum ever since, but the lowest milligram level possible. (2mg). 

Yesterday I decided to just chew regular gum, as I (or so I thought) was getting more satisfaction from the flavor of the gum, rather than the nicotine itself. 

I feel like I stopped smoking 3 packs a day, cold-turkey. I was chewing about 15 to 20 pieces of the 2 mg gum per day. This feeling of somewhat intense withdrawal symptoms is a bit surprising. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I used the gum to quit about 10 years ago.  I used to chew one and then cheek it for a while.  When I got the urge I'd chew it a bit then cheek it.   I'd use one piece for 8-10 hours.     Try to chew one piece 4 hours while cheeking it.  Then slowly keep it in longer each time.    Try that.  

And Good Luck!  You got this! 

Edited by Toomstone.Part.Duex
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

I used the gum to quit about 10 years ago.  I used to chew one and then cheek it for a while.  When I got the urge I'd chew it a bit then cheek it.   I'd use one piece for 8-10 hours.     Try to chew one piece 4 hours while cheeking it.  Then slowly keep it in longer each time.    Try that.  

I'm afraid there's no way I could keep one piece in for 4 hours. I've grown accustomed to when the flavor is gone, out goes the old piece and in goes the new piece. 

I'll just power through the symptoms. You're right when you said "I got this"!

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

I'm afraid there's no way I could keep one piece in for 4 hours. I've grown accustomed to when the flavor is gone, out goes the old piece and in goes the new piece. 

I'll just power through the symptoms. You're right when you said "I got this"!

Have you considered the patch?  You can get free ones through NYS Quits.  I used them to successfully quit for three years.  Used the patches for about a month, then I was done.

Unfortunately, after three years, I began smoking again and am still trying to quit.  I have patches, but I'm still working on getting there, mentally - which is important.

I have begun trying to not smoke at normal trigger times ... specifically in my car.  That's gone very well (I have a one hour commute each way for work).  I was smoking 3-4 cigarettes each way.   Now that's down to zero.

You DO got this.  And I got this.  And everyone who is struggling to quit has got this.

Best of luck to you, brother.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Another trick that helped me is when I'd get the urge I'd take a deep breath, hold it for 10-15 sec and slowly let it out.   A few of those and it helped.   

I've tried the patch, that one medication (I would of been in jail for murder if I stayed on that. It was horrible) and the gum finally worked.   

Good luck!!  

My sister smoked cigarettes for over 20 years.

One day she got a severe ear infection, although it was more than that. She had dizziness and nausea.

The thought of smoking made her sick.

After she saw a doctor, they were able to help her with the infection, and she was fine.

Since that time, she has never smoked a cigarette. Never had the urge to again.

• Like (+1) 1

Good luck quitting! It's worth it!

I smoked for seven years, quitting twice, each time for a few months. My wife and I decided to quit together when we got married. I don't remember which one of us brought it up, but we agreed instantly. It wasn't as difficult as we thought, probably because we had each other for support. (And we found better ways to satisfy the oral fixation 😉 .)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

Also..  Stay away from your triggers.  I had to stop going out for Friday Happy Hour for about 2-3 months.    If I wanted a cocktail I'd shake one up at home and chew the hell out of that gum.   

The only thing I would have to worry about is a gig, and thankfully the next one is Jan 7th, so I should be good then. 

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

The only thing I would have to worry about is a gig, and thankfully the next one is Jan 7th, so I should be good then. 

What you play?   I'm too busy when I gig to do anything.  Setting up my kit and between sets I'm usually chuggin a water.  haha   Plus I don't drink when I play.  It's hard enough to play drums.  

On 12/2/2021 at 2:48 PM, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

I quit cold turkey on Super Bowl Sunday 1988, though I only smoked half a pack a day so my habit was less than others. I would have dreams I was smoking for over a year, but I never picked up a cig again.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/2/2021 at 2:33 PM, Draconator said:

I quit smoking New Years Eve 2019. I have been chewing Nicotine gum ever since, but the lowest milligram level possible. (2mg). 

Yesterday I decided to just chew regular gum, as I (or so I thought) was getting more satisfaction from the flavor of the gum, rather than the nicotine itself. 

I feel like I stopped smoking 3 packs a day, cold-turkey. I was chewing about 15 to 20 pieces of the 2 mg gum per day. This feeling of somewhat intense withdrawal symptoms is a bit surprising. 

You gotta get off all that stuff, man.

I quit cold turkey like 9 years ago and haven't had a puff since.

I found the first week to be torturous.  One of the harder things I've done.  The second week was very hard, but better.

By the time week 3 and 4 got around, it was way, way better.

Now, I don't ever think about having a cigarette ever, and when I pass someone outside smoking and you get that whiff of second-hand smoke, it turns my stomach.

• Thank you (+1) 2

You've eliminated one Nicotine injection method (smoking) now you need to work on eliminating the other injection method (gum). Once you get the Nicotine out of your system it'll become easier.

When I decided to quit my 2 pack a day habit, I started slow, eliminating a couple a day every few weeks. Then I cut it to one pack a day for a couple months. Then a quarter pack a day etc... The new year came and I had 2 packs left, smoked two a day til that pack was gone and then one a day for the final pack. By that point I couldn't stand the smell anymore. Feb 2022 will be 4 years tobacco free.

Slowly cut back on the gum until the cravings leave, you can do this !!! ... Good luck

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I haven't priced them lately, but a couple of years ago I was behind someone at the grocery store buying a carton for $80. For a pack-a-day smoker, that's around $3000 a year.

Figure out how much you spend every year for cigarettes. Quitting is like getting  raise in salary for that amount. Write that on a post-it note and display it.

On 12/2/2021 at 2:33 PM, Draconator said:

it’s all in your head 

3 weeks ago I said F it. 
day 1 I had 3 

day 2 I had 2

day 3 that first drag tasted like 💩 

Done 

and now my wife is trying to cut down. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

You've eliminated one Nicotine injection method (smoking) now you need to work on eliminating the other injection method (gum). Once you get the Nicotine out of your system it'll become easier.

When I decided to quit my 2 pack a day habit, I started slow, eliminating a couple a day every few weeks. Then I cut it to one pack a day for a couple months. Then a quarter pack a day etc... The new year came and I had 2 packs left, smoked two a day til that pack was gone and then one a day for the final pack. By that point I couldn't stand the smell anymore. Feb 2022 will be 4 years tobacco free.

Slowly cut back on the gum until the cravings leave, you can do this !!! ... Good luck

Great read... a decade ago I quit/stopped for 2 years. Not a problem until the 2nd day of having to supervise a job in a hellhole of a remodel. Just bought a pack to take the edge off. What I did to stop for 2 years was to just hold one in my hand unlit,  I think that's a big part of it, just holding one. 

Got to get free once again, and for good.

• Like (+1) 2

I smoked for more than 30 years. A very serious health issue made me have to stop but it still wasn't easy.

I went on the patch and got to the weakest one. I was even leaving them on past their expiration and thought I was OK  Well, one day I was getting craving and couldn't find my box of patches. I was pacing and sweating just like any other addict. I found the box, put one one, and decided to throw the rest out. I have been smoke free since October 15, 2015, and it was not a cakewalk. 

After 2 or 3 months I thought I was out of the woods. I wen't to a 7/11 for coffee and the guy in front of me and ordered a Newport Box. I felt totally depressed and a strong craving came on but I resisted. I will NEVER ever, smoke another cigarette. 

To those of you wanting to quit:

1) The good news is that cravings become less and less frequent and much weaker. And, when you do get them they only last for less than a minute. At this point I cannot remember my last craving; it was probably during the spring or summer.

2) Remember, you are NOT smoking out of "habit." You are NOT smoking due to "nervous energy." You are addicted to nicotine. Period. Vaping won't give you cancer, but the nicotine will cause heart problems, high blood pressure, etc. You need to kick your addiction to nicotine.

3) I was horribly addicted. If I can quit so can any and all of you.

4) Pick up a book about quitting by the author Alan Carr. I used his first book. This book was a great education to me and was vital in my successfully quitting this addiction. I didn't follow his advice 100% but I still really did gain from him.

5) If you are religious, pray for help. 

6) Good luck and God bless. Live longer and enjoy family, friends, and now that we have Josh Allen, even the Bills.

If any of you have any questions about quitting, feel free to IM me and I will try to help. I am not an addiction counselor or a medical professional. Just an ex-degenerate, self damaging smoker. Do please remember, I was hopelessly addicted and if I can do it, you've got it kicked. 

PS: Today is Saturday. If I smoked one cigarette today I would be smoking 2 packs per day by Wednesday or Thursday. My point is to treat yourself like any other addict. I am going to take my 2 mile walk today. :) 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

All addictions are a little different for everyone. Just keep trying different  methods, you will find it.

In my experience, the actual physical addiction to nicotine is very minimal, if it even exist at all.

It's basically all psychological.  And man, that is the hardest type of addiction to overcome.

Here is the key to overcoming any addiction, again, in my experience...you have to be 100% mentally ready to quit.

You can't be faking it, or telling yourself you want to quit when you really don't.

When you are ready to quit, you'll quit, and you'll be able to stay away from whatever you are addicted to.

It's purely a matter of willpower and strong mindedness.

If you want it badly enough, you can get through the relatively short period of time needed to break away from the substance.  And once you are past it, it becomes much easier to stay away.

So, to the OP:  Are you truly ready to stop?  Why are you trying to stop?  Is someone telling you?  Have you decided for yourself?  Are you 99% sure, or 110% sure you want to stop?

Only you know!  If you are 100% ready to stop, stop!  It will work out.

45 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

In my experience, the actual physical addiction to nicotine is very minimal, if it even exist at all.

It's basically all psychological.  And man, that is the hardest type of addiction to overcome.

Here is the key to overcoming any addiction, again, in my experience...you have to be 100% mentally ready to quit.

You can't be faking it, or telling yourself you want to quit when you really don't.

When you are ready to quit, you'll quit, and you'll be able to stay away from whatever you are addicted to.

It's purely a matter of willpower and strong mindedness.

If you want it badly enough, you can get through the relatively short period of time needed to break away from the substance.  And once you are past it, it becomes much easier to stay away.

So, to the OP:  Are you truly ready to stop?  Why are you trying to stop?  Is someone telling you?  Have you decided for yourself?  Are you 99% sure, or 110% sure you want to stop?

Only you know!  If you are 100% ready to stop, stop!  It will work out.

I haven't smoked in almost 2 years. It was the nicotine gum that I am giving up now. I had the thought of spending $12 for 180 pieces of regular sugar free gum, vs $35 for 160 pieces of Nicotine Gum. My thinking was the nicotine is having no effect on me at all. I was just surprised by the withdrawal symptoms I experienced from stopping the nicotine gum. That's all. It's been 3 days since I stopped, and all is good. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I haven't smoked in almost 2 years. It was the nicotine gum that I am giving up now. I had the thought of spending $12 for 180 pieces of regular sugar free gum, vs $35 for 160 pieces of Nicotine Gum. My thinking was the nicotine is having no effect on me at all. I was just surprised by the withdrawal symptoms I experienced from stopping the nicotine gum. That's all. It's been 3 days since I stopped, and all is good. 

Congrats to you! I have been meaning to stop smoking myself. Very hard habit to break. A few years back I did quit for 9 months and was doing well, wife was proud, happy.

Then a situation popped up that was hard to deal with and started right back. And still smoking to this day and talking about quitting, but so far that's what it's been, all talk no action. I think it may be just as hard to quit smoking as someone trying to quit heroin. 

Anyway, keep up the good work and I hope to join you sooner than later

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

All addictions are a little different for everyone. Just keep trying different  methods, you will find it.

Not nicotine, but my wife would have a Diet Mountain Dew mid-afternoon every day. After a while, she realized she would get a wicked headache if she didn’t get her fix. It was very real, and very serious. She eventually got over it, but she’d call me on some days and report her “relapse”.  Caffeine is no joke for some people, and for others it’s no big deal. 

The important thing, as you say, is just keep at it! You’re worth it! 

• Like (+1) 2

Vaping is a good way to wean off. But honestly, cold turkey is the harshest/best way to go. Nicotine leaves the blood stream in about 60 hours. 2 1/2 days of suffering and then it's all mental.  I quit during the winter time and used to wonder why it was so cold in my car. It's because I  had my window rolled halfway down because I'd always light up when I drove. Bite the bullet and suffer. Then, make the adjustments to prevent backsliding. Tossing lighters and ashtrays etc. It's a painful approach but it works.

I've never smoked...but been a low-level dipper for 25+ yrs. About 1 can/10 days.

Started overseas, on ops where you simply have to stay awake and/or need something to work w the adrenaline.

Anyway, I don't "feel" effects like smoking as, for example, workouts were never harmed.

Anyone have thoughts, advice, experience on saying salud to Skoal?

So... I started smoking again during the early days of the pandemic, after 6+ years without it.  I dunno, just kind of sitting around, getting fat (I've lost 75+ pounds as of today -- from this past spring) is kind of depressing.  I switched from Marlboros to American Spirit during many, many days at home, and I will say this...

First, I think that my dentist hates me, and this is probably with good reason.

Second, my sister and brother in law are doctors, so when we see them now and again, and with our young nephews, I keep the smoking to a dull roar.  Plus they live in Colorado.  I should move to Colorado as I never feel like smoking there.

Still, I can go for a week or two without smoking now, given that American Spirit stuff does not give me the joneses like other tobacco products used to.

8 hours ago, Groin said:

So... I started smoking again during the early days of the pandemic, after 6+ years without it.  I dunno, just kind of sitting around, getting fat (I've lost 75+ pounds as of today -- from this past spring) is kind of depressing.  I switched from Marlboros to American Spirit during many, many days at home, and I will say this...

First, I think that my dentist hates me, and this is probably with good reason.

Second, my sister and brother in law are doctors, so when we see them now and again, and with our young nephews, I keep the smoking to a dull roar.  Plus they live in Colorado.  I should move to Colorado as I never feel like smoking there.

Still, I can go for a week or two without smoking now, given that American Spirit stuff does not give me the joneses like other tobacco products used to.

When I smoked, I preferred American Spirits, but I lost my singing voice while smoking them. Like couldn't sing more than a few note range. I switched back to Camel's and my vocal range came back. Weird, but that's what happened. 

I don't smoke anymore and I'm back to hitting a high B flat, and my range is a couple notes shy of 4 octaves again. 

Edited by Draconator

10 hours ago, Draconator said:

When I smoked, I preferred American Spirits, but I lost my singing voice while smoking them. Like couldn't sing more than a few note range. I switched back to Camel's and my vocal range came back. Weird, but that's what happened. 

I don't smoke anymore and I'm back to hitting a high B flat, and my range is a couple notes shy of 4 octaves again. 

That is odd.  While my speaking voice is still the same and without rasp, my singing has gone down close to an octave.  It started showing recently while doing karaoke.  This is also why I engineer/mix now instead of performing with a band.  🙂

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't think anyone preferred American Spirits!  Weren't they just cheaper than the others?

I always smoked Camel lights, but I would smoke other brands as well.

When smoking (for years!) I always noticed that the glands on my throat were perpetually inflamed and sore, like I had a bad cold or flu.  They were just perpetually bothered.

When I quit, that all went away. It's funny what you grow accustomed to with enough habit.

• 2 weeks later...

I quit cigarettes more than 20 years ago.   Two packs a day smoker.

One of the most challenging goals I have ever accomplished in my life.   First few months I felt like I had gone insane - couldn't relax at all - constantly anxious.   Then it slowly started getting better.

My hat's off to anyone who can accomplish quitting.   It is a remarkable accomplishment.

• Like (+1) 3

On 12/6/2021 at 2:05 PM, Steptide said:

Not sure if you're still having these cravings, but drink alot of water. This will help get the nicotine out of your system quicker 

the cure is — solve what to do when not busy and bored

and anyone can quit.  It’s more mental than physical. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.